Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand name clothes

Options

Comments

I have a white pair of versace jeans. Cost about stg£200 about 15 years ago. They've never lost their whiteness and look as good as new.

The only thing that's gone out of shape is the @rse inside them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I have a white pair of versace jeans. Cost about stg£200 about 15 years ago. They've never lost their whiteness and look as good as new.

The only thing that's gone out of shape is the @rse inside them :pac:

Do blokes wear white jeans in Ireland?

Do blokes wear white jeans in Ireland?

Hey! It's not my fault I have a deep voice and thick, dark facial hair :mad::o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I buy a lot of stuff in Dunnes, now maybe it's just my inability to wash clothes properly but all the tshirts I buy in there shrink in the wash and I only get a few months of wear out of them.

Quality stuff does last much longer, it maintains it's shape better and wears better. That doesn't mean some expensive brands don't sell cheap crap under the label of quality but there are quality clothes out there and they're usually worth the money simply because they give less hassles and last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

ScumLord wrote: »
    I buy a lot of stuff in Dunnes, now maybe it's just my inability to wash clothes properly but all the tshirts I buy in there shrink in the wash and I only get a few months of wear out of them.

Quality stuff does last much longer, it maintains it's shape better and wears better. That doesn't mean some expensive brands don't sell cheap crap under the label of quality but there are quality clothes out there and they're usually worth the money simply because they give less hassles and last longer.

Buy a size bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

The power of marketing plain for all to see on this thread.

Don't think I've ever seen a pennys add.. but I get what you're saying, great loyalty to the brand on this thread..

In regards to rl polo. They don't advertise here, so posters can only speak from their personal experience of owning those items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

There's definitely a difference between the likes of your Dunnes and you American Eagle in terms of how durable they are, but I am in my hole going to spend €80 on a pair of jeans. I just get them in the charity shops, I flick through the rails looking at the labels before anything else. I've got American Eagle jeans, a Tommy Hilfiger cardigan, a RL men's top that I've had for about ten years, none of them cost more than a tenner. Pair of Levi jeans I got when I was sixteen only recently got a rip right across the arse that I couldn't mend, I was gutted.

Tend to get most of my stuff either in charity shops or as gifts/hand me downs. A lot of that is conscientious consumer stuff but I'm also not that bothered about what I wear. I have my likes and dislikes but keeping up with trends or whatever or it being obvious that I've spend money on my clothes is a yawn.

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

kneemos wrote: »
    Buy a size bigger.

But then he'd look really stupid walking around in clothes that don't fit.

awec wrote: »
    But then he'd look really stupid walking around in clothes that don't fit.

Wash them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

mariaalice wrote: »
    Do you wear brand name clothing at all, I cant see the point at all for example if you picked up a Ralph Lauren or Gant polo shirt or one from of M and S or a good one from Dunnes they look the exact same and the quality is the same, yet there is a huge price difference. That is all down to the branding nothing else.

A BL RL shirt will have a much higher quality fabric, mother of pearl buttons, better stitching, better shape vs MS. Put them side by side and there's no comparison. It also will have no label, so no one is buying them just to wear a logo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd wear if it was cheap, or in a sale or something.

Other than that no, not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I've always believed the following two things when it comes to fashion:

1. If you see it as a form of expression, you're better off buying something - designer or vintage - that isn't on the back of everyone else you see, having plucked it from Penny's, Topman etc. That might mean you pay more, but if you want to stand out, you should spend less time on the high street. With sites like ASOS etc, you can do that a lot cheaper these days.

2. I would much rather have 3 pairs of expensive, well-made jeans, than 6 pairs of ill-fitting jeans for half the price, especially if they deteriorate after a few washes. High street is 'fast fashion'; it's designed to be worn for a short period of time before it goes to pieces. You're better off not following the latest trend with cheap options but instead buying well-made, timeless items that will last longer and look better on you.

For example, I used to have bottles and bottles of aftershave, all mid to low-range brands that smelled OK but not very distinctive or impressive. Now I just have one bottle that I wear - Tom Ford Neroli Portofino - which is crazy expensive but smells incredible. Taken into consideration, this is an overall cheaper option than what I did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A BL RL shirt will have a much higher quality fabric, mother of pearl buttons, better stitching, better shape vs MS. Put them side by side and there's no comparison. It also will have no label, so no one is buying them just to wear a logo.

I never knew the whole thing was so complicated, so the more expensive RL has no logo but there are other discrete signal that its a RL so every one will know you are wearing RL despite the fact it has no logo, their marketing is brilliant I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I never knew the whole thing was so complicated, so the more expensive RL has no logo but there are other discrete signal that its a RL so every one will know you are wearing RL despite the fact it has no logo, their marketing is brilliant I have to say.

It makes a lot of sense. It's like the adage of 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it'. I live in Qatar and there's a lot of 'new money' around, so you often see rich young people wearing RL polos with the much larger pony logo; these have only been around for the past 5-8 years or so. They're very well made and very expensive, but the wearer also wants you to know that it's RL upon first sight and that they can afford it. For example, this is $135: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3542453&cp=1760781.1760809&ab=ln_men_cs_poloshirts&s=D-StorePrice-POLO&pg=1&parentPage=family

That kind of 'look at the size of this logo' thinking is why rappers used to wear large gold chains. This doesn't really happen anymore and one of the reasons is that rappers understand that no one wants to be seen as 'new money'; they want to be perceived as people who don't need to buy an over-the-top chain or logo-ed polo to impress the average person - it's better to impress a connoisseur with a classic Swiss watch or a beautifully tailored suit. For example, this is the most expensive RL polo online, at $225: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29102986&cp=1760781.1760809&ab=ln_men_cs_poloshirts&s=D-StorePrice-POLO&pg=1&parentPage=family

No logo, but would be appreciated by those in the know and certainly isn't lacking a giant pony to look expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

They're just standard for any higher quality shirt, not unique to RL, and almost no one is going to notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

$225 for a tshirt. That's a way that people impress people? I just vomited in my mouth a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I buy the expensive stuff and cut the labels and logos off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I buy whatever takes my fancy TBH. I wear Zara with RL tops and Diesel jeans. I will avoid any clothes with large or obvious logo. I cannot abide Tommy H...:mad:

I am a bloke and there is so much nasty crap out there. I am thinking Next, River Island etc that low to mid quality level samey rubbish. I cannot and never will understand the fascination with Next. It is a sea of cheap dull grey/brown blandness.

One thing I will not scrimp on is shoes and jeans oh and work shirts. You cannor get away or disguise crap cheap shoes plus your feet will never forgive you.

I don't wear a watch because the one I want costs nearly 25k and that aint happening anytime soon. I would rather have no watch than some crap with the time piece shipped in from China while fronted by Tag Heur or Breitling or Raymond Weil. As an expert in watches said to me, genuine watches cost a minimum of 10k- as in genuine article Swiss time pieces. Wearing the aforementioned brands is like having large hoarding on your headsaying 'I spent 2k on this Tag Heur because I think it is the business. In reality I have absolutely no idea about watches.' Dont even go there on the 'Designer' watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So a suit from M&S made in Cheshire bespoke, that also make RL suits will never be the same and in the same way a dress shirt from M&S with 12 mother of pearl buttons will never be the thing to wear because it not RL it just wouldn't do :p Im not laughing at label heads but I don't think I will ever get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

If you're a fatty bum bums it doesn't make much of a difference at all. Everything is going to fit the same:)

But in general there's a much better fit in comparison. Although the RL Polos have that flappy back that need customising imo (or so I heard :/)

• Advertisement

I buy whatever takes my fancy TBH. I wear Zara with RL tops and Diesel jeans. I will avoid any clothes with large or obvious logo. I cannot abide Tommy H...:mad:

I am a bloke and there is so much nasty crap out there. I am thinking Next, River Island etc that low to mid quality level samey rubbish. I cannot and never will understand the fascination with Next. It is a sea of cheap dull grey/brown blandness.

One thing I will not scrimp on is shoes and jeans oh and work shirts. You cannor get away or disguise crap cheap shoes plus your feet will never forgive you.

I don't wear a watch because the one I want costs nearly 25k and that aint happening anytime soon. I would rather have no watch than some crap with the time piece shipped in from China while fronted by Tag Heur or Breitling or Raymond Weil. As an expert in watches said to me, genuine watches cost a minimum of 10k- as in genuine article Swiss time pieces. Wearing the aforementioned brands is like having large hoarding on your headsaying 'I spent 2k on this Tag Heur because I think it is the business. In reality I have absolutely no idea about watches.' Dont even go there on the 'Designer' watches.

You could get a very discerning, tasteful Omega Seamaster for a grand or so. 25k is excessive for the exact same appreciation from onlookers.

I have been wearing suits to work for the past 12 years and have good and bad. The worst suit by a country mile was Hugo Boss (material crap and lost shape pretty much straight away) followed by Gieves & Hawkes (actually excellent material but lost shape straight away) both supposed 'designer' brands.

M&S are decent and I wear them on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Never really been into brands. I like variety and would much rather spend 100 euro on a couple of high street items that on one branded item. My husband used to be mad for his Lacoste polos. But I found they shrink upwards and get wider with time. But hes definitely been persuaded over to the Blue Harbour way of thinking lately. We have no one to impress though except each other. If your young and can afford it, go for it if it makes you happy. I would say though that for the marginally better quality youre paying disproportionately more.

+1 on waiting for the sales. Always buy next years winter coat in the sale but then I don't mind being a season or two off trend, more money for Gin :-) !

You could get a very discerning, tasteful Omega Seamaster for a grand or so. 25k is excessive for the exact same appreciation from onlookers.

TBH I am not doing it for onlookers because I would not expect my circle of friends to know anyway plus anyone that might cop it would prob think its fake...:o It a Jaeger LeCoultre.

Yeah nobody could justify 25k unless I won the lotto. Its the dream along with a Bugatti Type 57c...at least the Jaeger is attainable..:)

Buy a cheap watch and wear it ironically.

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Never really been into brands. I like variety and would much rather spend 100 euro on a couple of high street items that on one branded item. My husband used to be mad for his Lacoste polos. But I found they shrink upwards and get wider with time. But hes definitely been persuaded over to the Blue Harbour way of thinking lately. We have no one to impress though except each other. If your young and can afford it, go for it if it makes you happy. I would say though that for the marginally better quality youre paying disproportionately more.

+1 on waiting for the sales. Always buy next years winter coat in the sale but then I don't mind being a season or two off trend, more money for Gin :-) !

Ah yes, your hubby is very much cruising mid life in the marital comfort zone now settling for Blue Harbour in M&S...:P

I bought a RL rugby top about 10 years ago and it cost 95e- nothing outrageous. TBH it has kept its shape amazingly and I have worn it to death. Now it has faded and I only wear it around the house at winter but I swear it will see another 10 years.

Now last year the wife decided to buy me a top- a Blue Harbour rugby top. It was this inoffensive pale blue thing my retired father in law would wear. I made her take it back and I made no apologies for it. In fact I remind her of it and I am horrified that she buy me such a item. I am only 35 not 65...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You can pick up a real nice classic Omega for say 500 then have her serviced for 200 and she will look like new. Much classier than some modern monster that screams from a distance 'hey I have an expensive watch'.

kneemos wrote: »
    Buy a cheap watch and wear it ironically.

LOL...I've done that. Time magazine gave away free watches a few years back with a subscription and I wore it a few times. It had no label or brand just to keep the allure...:)

Boskowski wrote: »
    You can pick up a real nice classic Omega for say 500 then have her serviced for 200 and she will look like new. Much classier than some modern monster that screams from a distance 'hey I have an expensive watch'.

I agree, I dont do garish monster watches the size of a slab of cheese. The smaller the better.

• Advertisement

TBH I am not doing it for onlookers because I would not expect my circle of friends to know anyway plus anyone that might cop it would prob think its fake...:o It a Jaeger LeCoultre.

Yeah nobody could justify 25k unless I won the lotto. Its the dream along with a Bugatti Type 57c...at least the Jaeger is attainable..:)

Just a Jaguar E-type or MKII for me!

Advertisement