Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand name clothes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Nope, never really. I've gone into clothes shops and whatnot a few times to try and make myself presentable but the combination of me being an ugly bastard and it being hardwired into me to be a cheap bastard makes me get all confused, then angry, then depressed, then angry again, the a bit flustered, then happy, then sad, then all the emotions get mixed up and I decide it's not worth the hassle.

Almost everything I've got atm is either primark or neatish looking old Irish farmer handmedown type stuff. Don't even have a suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

mariaalice wrote: »
    How many people dress like that every day. I haven't a clue who most of them are but I would take a guess and say they are very very expensive. I am sue there is a difference between hand made shirts and luxury shoes. I am more talking about good but every day clothes,

Not many I imagine, I was just being a bit pedantic about what is superb quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭daz1988

all cloths are the same some last longer some dont I buy most of my cloths online and then the odd time head into a shop spend a few pound buying going out bits thats all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

When it comes to shoes, jeans, chinos and some shirts and jumpers they're more than likely a good well known brand because they're gonna get a lot more use and need to be of good quality. But when it comes to tshirts and the majority of my hoodies and such I couldn't give a f*ck where I buy them as long as they look decent and will last me a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭pcardin

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I find this thread depressing, I would consider the clothes in M&S too expensive to buy, and apparently they are on the cheapest end of things.

have you ever heard of TKMAXX? you will get your RL, CK, Gucci and others for better price than M&S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd agree OP. My MIL is a terror for brands. She regularly buys truck loads of ****e from Brown Thomas. I was in their house at the weekend and counted no less than 12 sets of unopened BT bed sets. Total waste of money.

I'd love to have her money:D I usually take a look in the homeware section of BT, 300 euro for a throw blanket is way out of my price range:(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭daz1988

some women need there head checked the girlfriend spends an hour each evening buying cloths with only the best of tags she gets paid well but spends it all on cloths and then complains for the rest of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

awec wrote: »
    "You can't tell the difference" seems to be something invented by people who buy the cheaper stuff to try and convince themselves that it's the same as designer labels.

You absolutely can tell the difference. Especially when it comes to the fitting of something, particularly after a wash or two. Cheap shirts and t-shirts often look like they were cut by someone blindfolded.

Buy most of my clothes from All Saints. Have t-shirts and shirts that still look great 4 or 5 years later. Buy Diesel jeans because they fit the best and also last ages.

There was a spot on an RTE afternoon show a few years ago in which three
    similar looking items of various prices were modelled - as in a coat for €80,
    another for €500 and a third for €1500. Presenters and guests had to place what
    they thought were the correct prices on the various pieces. They rarely got it right!
    I particularly remember an occasion when Maura Derrane 'felt up' some 'leather'
    coats to assess the quality, and got her guesses totally wrong!! As the same girl
    would see herself as a connoisseur of fashion, I found it quite amusing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

daz1988 wrote: »
    some women need there head checked the girlfriend spends an hour each evening buying cloths with only the best of tags she gets paid well but spends it all on cloths and then complains for the rest of the week
    I insist on my missus just buying regular cloths in Dealz but she won't listen. For her it's J-cloths or nothing. She says it's for the absorbancy but I know better - it's for the prestige that goes with buying the big labels. She'll put us in the poorhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭OrangeVarnish

Do you wear brand name clothing at all, I cant see the point at all for example if you picked up a Ralph Lauren or Gant polo shirt or one from of M and S or a good one from Dunnes they look the exact same and the quality is the same, yet there is a huge price difference. That is all down to the branding nothing else.

I'm more for quality and price, if it says a brand in a really obvious way it actually turns me off the item !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Cheap clothes can be a false economy. I have clothes from Hugo Boss that have lasted over a decade and are well worn and clothes from H&M that i bought in June that are now fit for the bin after two washes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

You definitely get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Again I am not talking about cheap or poor quality, M&S is known for the quality of their clothing. I suppose it depends on what you call high end as well I would consider Gant high end and Ralph Lauren more middle to high end, men's shirts are an interesting example as well, in my M&S you can get very good shirts for around 50/60 euro and the quality is superb and as good as shirts at twice the price.

You'll get high end shirts online for half that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

A good pair of jeans or a shirt is definitely worth forking out for. Wrangler jeans are milles ahead of Dunnes or Penneys etc in terms of comfort, fit and quality.

In regards to having logos splashed everywhere, I'm well sick of seeing a group of 4 or 5 young lads all wearing a sea-gull across their chest :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I have to say, for stuff like shirts, slacks, etc., stuff that you need for a work related stuff, you cannot go wrong with Marks and Sparks. Their stuff is perfect if you need to look spruced up for working, it won't break the bank, and it's very good quality.

Even their suits are of a good quality and are perfect for office work, etc.

Obviously, if you want a suit for a more special occasion, you might lash out a few extra quid.

For stuff like polo shirts, I actually prefer Tommy Hilfiger, Hugo Boss, etc. I just find that generic polo shirts don't have as nice a "feel" to them. I have some M&S polos. They wash fine, they look fine... but I just find that the "feel" is not as nice as the Hilfiger ones.

Jeans. I'm a Levi or Wrangler man. I seriously cannot abide any other brand of jeans other than these. Look, durability, everything. I have pairs of Levis that I bought in the States years ago, and they are still perfect. One thing I do find, however, with any brand of jeans... black jeans suffer very badly as time goes on. They fade, they get grubby, etc. It doesn't matter if they're Levi or if they're a pair you got for €2 in Penny's. Black jeans depreciate a lot more than blue.

Most of my shirts are Marks and Sparks. In fairness, I wear them mostly for a work-like situation. But, they do the job. They are also comfortable and don't lend to being sweat boxes either. Ditto for their slacks and suits.

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wait for sales if you can't afford to pay top dollar. Just means buying clothes less often but if you get 1 or 2 good shirts once or twice a year it's better than 5 or 6 rubbish ones throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Girls like designer clothes and I like girls so I wear designer clothes so girls like me more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

That all said, I have a good few Brook Taverner, Pierre Cardin, Hugo Boss and so on shirts, slacks, suits, etc. But these are reserved for the special occasions and so on. For everyday stuff, Marks and Sparks do the job fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Girls like designer clothes and I like girls so I wear designer clothes so girls like me more

Years ago I knew someone who was convinced that discretely letting woman see that he was wearing a Hugo Boss suit was a magnet for women, my opinion was that if you went out with a woman was attracted to you because of your designer suit you deserve everything you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

131spanner wrote: »
    A good pair of jeans or a shirt is definitely worth forking out for. Wrangler jeans are milles ahead of Dunnes or Penneys etc in terms of comfort, fit and quality.

In regards to having logos splashed everywhere, I'm well sick of seeing a group of 4 or 5 young lads all wearing a sea-gull across their chest :pac:
    And when it's warm (or puzzlingly even when it's not) they all wear those t-shirts with what look like horrible grey tracksuit bottoms cut in half. Awful looking things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Got a few pairs of jeans from river island and asos, after a few washes they've faded a fair bit. They're still in shape and all that, but they don't hold a candle to my hugo boss pair. €160, but they look brand new after many, many washes. Couldn't get a better fit with them either. They're quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Years ago I knew someone who was convinced that discretely letting woman see that he was wearing a Hugo Boss suit was a magnet for women, my opinion was that if you went out with a woman was attracted to you because of your designer suit you deserve everything you get.

Wear designer clothes, deserve to get things from attractive women. I like your thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I think the quality is often better if not to the ratio of cost, as in a RL polo is hardly 400% better than a M & S one.

I used to like a few brands: Gieves and Hawkes (the ready to wear stuff) Miu Miu, Lacoste, Lyle and Scott, Fred Perry (the classic style polos and their once off gear) Dries Van Noten, Paul Smith etc but I just can't justify buying them any more except as a very occasional treat as I've got other financial responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I've got some brand name stuff but the majority of it (>90%) was bought when it was on sale.

I have 2 Abercrombie tshirts that I got for $9 each and they're now over 2 years old at this stage and have kept both their colour and shape.

I'm not super frugal but I just couldn't stomach paying >40 quid for a tshirt.

Any brand names I do buy, I try to get them with as little branding as possible. I don't want a big POLO RALPH LAUREN logo taking up 25% of the front of the tshirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

Depends on your budget what you call a brand, for some its high end gear , or others its Topman and the like but don't say Dunnes and Penney clobber qualifies

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The problem with buying quality clothes is that you have to wear the same things for years on end. For me, the idea of washing and re-wearing a shirt is abhorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The power of marketing plain for all to see on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Never understood people walking around like human advertising boards for vulgar brands. I like nice clothes but would never buy anything with branding or logos slapped all over it.

Similarly dislike t-shirts with cretinous nonsense like "liquor in the front, poker out back" -that's definitely a clear sign to avoid someone. I'm pretty much against writing on clothes!

Theres enough you can do with colours and patterns without resorting to inane slogans and garish branding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Unless you're buying seriously high end stuff (and no, ck, hillfiger, superdry, levi, all saints, abercrombie etc are not high end) more than likely they were made by some kid chained to a loom for a dollar a day.

What do you consider high end? (Not disagreeing with you, Superdry in particular is common as muck, so can't be high end).

Advertisement