Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand name clothes

Options
  • 05-08-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭

Do you wear brand name clothing at all, I cant see the point at all for example if you picked up a Ralph Lauren or Gant polo shirt or one from of M and S or a good one from Dunnes they look the exact same and the quality is the same, yet there is a huge price difference. That is all down to the branding nothing else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

No point these days, Price vs. quality. High end stuff would be worth it but not replacing penny's with river island and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'd agree OP. My MIL is a terror for brands. She regularly buys truck loads of ****e from Brown Thomas. I was in their house at the weekend and counted no less than 12 sets of unopened BT bed sets. Total waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

mariaalice wrote: »
    Do you wear brand name clothing at all, I cant see the point at all for example if you picked up a Ralph Lauren or Gant polo shirt or one from of M and S or a good one from Dunnes they look the exact same and the quality is the same, yet there is a huge price difference. That is all down to the branding nothing else.

You couldn't be more wrong in your conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I used to spend a fortune on designer clothes but in the last few years I've given up on them. If i see something i really like i'll shell out (like for a good quality coat ill have for years) but I've been using the money i'm saving buying in the likes of H&M etc for trips abroad now instead and find it's a much better use of the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Gyalist wrote: »
    You couldn't be more wrong in your conclusions.

I think the conversion is that you offer a counter argument, so why am I wrong? I know the quality is the same most particularly between the M and S and the Gant/Ralph Lauren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Dunnes Stores black bags make for great pants.

Shoes too if you're a bit artistic with a scissors and tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

mariaalice wrote: »
    I think the conversion is that you offer a counter argument, so why am I wrong? I know the quality is the same most particularly between the M and S and the Gant/Ralph Lauren.

M&S make good quality stuff but it still isn't the same by any means. The law of diminishing returns applies so the best compromise is probably M&S.

Comparing Primark crap to Ralph Lauren etc. though is wrong and if you come to the conclusion that they are both of the same quality then you're mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

The point isn't the quality of the clothes, the point is so you look like you have more money than you actually have and that you're not wearing the same **** as everyone else that shops in pennys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

I've loads of rl polo tops from when I was in the States 6 years ago. Still holding their shape, while any ****e I bought in dunes/pennys would be faded, loose and in the bin after a few washes.

Same for jeans, I wait till john rocca ones are on sale and buy three or four pairs.. they stay in excellent condition for maybe two or three years.

KSwiss tubes runners are the most comfortable runners I've ever tried. On my third pair now, and the original pair are still knocking around somewhere. Though I've never bought pennys runners so can't compare.

My ford well have approx 60% residuals when time comes to trade up, where as a cheapo brand will have lost a lot more.

So you may gain on the initial purchase of your cheap brands, but you loose out in the long run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Comparing Primark crap to Ralph Lauren etc. though is wrong and if you come to the conclusion that they are both of the same quality then you're mistaken.

Especially after a few washes....fade and fall apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I wear mostly American Eagle stuff, because I find it fits me better than anything I've ever found in the usual shops here. I spend an absolute fortune on it too :o about €35 shipping then €80 for customs, before I even include the clothes.

It's just so comfortable, washes so well and the jeans fit me like a glove. Plus I like the clothes. I used to buy a lot of stuff in Penneys but found it washed terribly or I just threw it out after a while.

M&S make good quality stuff but it still isn't the same by any means. The law of diminishing returns applies so the best compromise is probably M&S.

I did not say Primark was the same quality its not, however Dunnes have 2 or 3 ranges of clothes and the good quality is as good as anywhere, leaving Dunnes aside. If you compare a polo shirt form M&S and one from Gant/Ralph Lauren the only difference is the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Quality kit looks and feels better,lasts for years and is probably cheaper in the long run than cheaper gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Unless you're buying seriously high end stuff (and no, ck, hillfiger, superdry, levi, all saints, abercrombie etc are not high end) more than likely they were made by some kid chained to a loom for a dollar a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

Thats not a belt its just a cord, Hey man, he's ragging on your cord!

Being honest the likes of dunnes, Pennys etc arent dissimilar visually, the proof in the pudding is when you wash them vs brand names. More often then not the better brand are of much higher quality and actually last after a wash. Unlike Pennys etc that dissolve like an Alca-seltzer in water.

kneemos wrote: »
    Quality kit looks and feels better,lasts for years and is probably cheaper in the long run than cheaper gear.

Again I am not talking about cheap or poor quality I can see the reason to buy good quality but not just because it is branded, M&S is know for the quality of its clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Harley-Davidson brand bandanas and arseless chaps for me all the way. USA. Yoo-Ess-Ayy!! Hooyah! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

My arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Brand name does not necessarily equal quality imo. That said, I would most certainly agree that RL > Penneys/Dunnes for quality and durability.
    I'd also agree with a previous poster that most of what some people consider 'high end' really isn't, it's just brand name high street,

I tend to use M&S as my staple for work wear - good quality and reasonable prices. I have a couple of more expensive suits (400E+) and shirts (90E+) from elsewhere and now that I've got a wardrobe full of mostly decent quality items, I only need to add to it from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

My arse.

My arse is right. I bought two pairs of trousers in Debenhams in Limerick last year ago in a sale, with some blasted brand-name or other on 'em and all, and they turned out to be a couple of dishrags. Dunnes stuff is quite decent these days, in our local store at any rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

M+S is very common,you'll meet ten people walking down the street in the same kit,morto.

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"You can't tell the difference" seems to be something invented by people who buy the cheaper stuff to try and convince themselves that it's the same as designer labels.

You absolutely can tell the difference. Especially when it comes to the fitting of something, particularly after a wash or two. Cheap shirts and t-shirts often look like they were cut by someone blindfolded.

Buy most of my clothes from All Saints. Have t-shirts and shirts that still look great 4 or 5 years later. Buy Diesel jeans because they fit the best and also last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

awec wrote: »
    "You can't tell the difference" seems to be something invented by people who buy the cheaper stuff to try and convince themselves that it's the same as designer labels.

You absolutely can tell the difference. Especially when it comes to the fitting of something, particularly after a wash or two. Cheap shirts and t-shirts often look like they were cut by someone blindfolded.

Exactly. The saying "buy cheap, buy twice" still holds true generally. In most cases it is a false economy.

awec wrote: »

Buy most of my clothes from All Saints. Have t-shirts and shirts that still look great 4 or 5 years later. Buy Diesel jeans because they fit the best and also last ages.

Again I am not talking about cheap or poor quality, M&S is known for the quality of their clothing. I suppose it depends on what you call high end as well I would consider Gant high end and Ralph Lauren more middle to high end, men's shirts are an interesting example as well, in my M&S you can get very good shirts for around 50/60 euro and the quality is superb and as good as shirts at twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I must admit I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to labels. If it isn't Ben Sherman, Le Coq Sportif, or Crosshatch, it ain't worth wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I find this thread depressing, I would consider the clothes in M&S too expensive to buy, and apparently they are on the cheapest end of things.

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I find this thread depressing, I would consider the clothes in M&S too expensive to buy, and apparently they are on the cheapest end of things.

Its not that they are cheap it just for the quality they are good vale, get something in the sales in M&S, they are worth it for men's clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Personally I wouldn't rate M&S in the superb category, especially not their shoes.

When I think of high end shirts I think of Charvet, Barba or some of the Savile Row makers, ditto for suits as well as a few other brands like Brioni (none of which I personally own lol).

For shoes I think of Lobb, G&G etc, maybe the top line of C&J.

Most of anything else is just good quality midrange or less.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't rate M&S in the superb category, especially not their shoes.

When I think of high end shirts I think of Charvet, Barba or some of the Savile Row makers, ditto for suits as well as a few other brands like Brioni (none of which I personally own lol).

For shoes I think of Lobb, G&G etc, maybe the top line of C&J.

Most of anything else is just good quality midrange or less.

How many people dress like that every day. I haven't a clue who most of them are but I would take a guess and say they are very very expensive. I am sue there is a difference between hand made shirts and luxury shoes. I am more talking about good but every day clothes,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I just picked myself up a Sergio Georgini leather jacket. I think it's fair to say I'm looking the business right now.

Advertisement