Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I was at a conference of techy nerds in June and we were asked how many of us wear a watch. It was about 10%, so i'm quite surprised by the results here. The most common reason for not wearing one was using the phone to tell the time, not a watch.

Pat Kenny was the first person I heard remark on this. He then asked the audience
    on his TV programme how many were wearing watches. Most of them were!! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Always wear a watch, would feel naked without it on. However, just recently got my first watch with hands and I've got to actually think when trying to tell the time at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Always worn a watch. Just a habit I got into when I was young (all those years ago!). This is my current timepiece;

6KkZMGP.jpg

Not exactly Rolex, Cartier or Tag Heuer but it does me okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BikeQueery

131spanner wrote: »
    I was once told by a very opinionated gentleman that you ALWAYS wear it on your left hand, I've been living a lie the whole time! :p

Lol! I'm a lefty. You do indeed wear it on your right. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Have always worn a watch. It's a pain to pull out your phone to check the time.

I've worn it on my right wrist for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I took of my wrist watch when I turned 45 and now use pocket watches.

it's what the 5th pocket in your jeans is FOR

my every day watch is a 1918 rolled gold Waltham, but for special occasions I have my great grandfathers gold 1888 Waltham

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80424690

Clearly a man of class and style here. If I were wearing my Trilby today I would doff it to you, Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

BikeQueery wrote: »
    Lol! I'm a lefty. You do indeed wear it on your right. :P
    Yep; that's what you're supposed to do. However; I'm left handed, but always wear my watch on my left wrist.

I wore one when younger, then stopped for reasons I can't remember, then started again in my mid 30's prompted by a business trip to Brussels. I think I had to sit through a day long meeting and wanted to know exactly how much more tedious shi*e I'd have to listen to!

For that trip I bought myself a lovely, simple, classy Citizen quartz watch in Weirs on Grafton Street. Just a plain black face, doesn't have a date facility, just tells the time and that's it. It stopped working once and Weirs quoted me some ludicrous price to repair it so I threw a hissy fit and decided to just buy a new one, but when I went looking I couldn't find one as classy even for silly money. So I swallowed my pride and paid for the repair. I don't usually get sentimentally attached to objects but I realised then that I did actually have a lot of love for that watch.

Have bought two others since to use as the Citizen does seem to stop working occasionally and I simply have to have a watch now. I love the idea of pocket watches and may buy one someday although I always associate them with suits which I don't always wear.

Never heard about the gay left/right thing for watches although I did hear it for ear rings. I wear mine on my right for the simple reason that I have a tattoo on my left arm that extends to my wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I loved the idea of watches, especially gadget watches, but found I couldn't get used to the feeling of them. I was constantly taking my watch off to give my wrist some relief and would inevitably lose every watch I had. I eventually gave up on them in the mid 90s once mobile phones appeared. A few years ago though I joined a voluntary organisation as a first-aider and was told to get a watch for taking pulses, so I bought the cheapest rubber-resin strapped watch I could find. At first I would only wear it when on duty, but after coming across an RTA I got into the habit of putting it on whenever I leave the house. I've now gotten used to it so much that after it fell apart I replaced it with a slightly more expensive and far heavier diver-style Timex watch. If I had a disposable income, I could even be lured into the Watches forum...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Sundial ftw!

But really only watch I wear is a GPS when out running.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mdolly123

wearing a watch to tell time is not that different from carrying a mobile phone that tells time, whats the point of survey

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have a lovely watch I got as a gift but I was on some meds which caused my skin to react to the metal of the watch strap and it gave me a nasty rash which didnt heal for months. Must try wearing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

i could never take to watches. the part you use to set the time always dug into my wrist.. the phone does just a good a job.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mdolly123 wrote: »
    wearing a watch to tell time is not that different from carrying a mobile phone that tells time, whats the point of survey

Yeah it is. A watch is on my wrist and very easily accessible way of telling the time.

A phone is relatively large and bulky, probably hidden in a pocket, or lost, or has a flat battery, not waterproof when out in the rain, more stealable...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

While I do love my phone, it's too much effort to take it out of my jeans pocket(this is an especially strenuous task while sitting down) just to know the time.

Anyway, my Casio digital's battery died after 3 years so I'm using my father's watch in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm a clumsy person. After I'd dropped about my fourth watch in a sink/onto tiles and worn another couple into the shower I gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I work in a lab and have gloves covered in chemicals on most of the day, I therefore can't touch my phone for most of the day. I find a watch an absolute must.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I wear a watch when working. Not otherwise, except if I'm riding my bike for exercise, and want to know how long I've been going.

I just use my phone to check the time in any other situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

would if i had one. lost the last one 3 years ago. cant justify buying one, kinda guess the time most of the time(!) so that'll do me:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I didn't wear one for ages and then I bought this. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/05/chronos_ez430/

It's completely nerdy but it's so much fun to play around with. One of the big reasons I bought it was the price. It's only fifty quid.

Before that i had a watch but the battery died and i never got around to repairing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭SaoirseRose

My iphone is my watch, my mp3, my camera, my third hand....

Advertisement