Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well, they're sort of Retro-Cool nowadays, something like using a CBM64 to read email. :pac:

Ugh... 28 years of age and the things I grew up with are 'retro' already. What an age we live in! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jimgoose wrote: »
    Well, they're sort of Retro-Cool nowadays, something like using a CBM64 to read email. :pac:

I had one of these back in the day too:

http://20thcenturytoycollector.com/wp-content/gallery/transformers-time-warrior-watch-mb/transformers-time-warrior-watch-closeup-copy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

I'm in my 50s and I've always worn a watch since my teens, I think most of my generation do wear them. Any old watch would do me but my husband is very into watches and sunglasses and buys me them as gifts, so I have a lovely Tag Heuer Aquaracer for the last few years. It's smart/casual goes with everything and waterproof so I never take it off (I'd probably forget to put it back on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭BikeQueery

My phone battery died one day and I needed the time, which was when I realised I was stupid not to have a watch. I'm not mad about having to look at the phone anyway, I stare at it too much already. Watches are gorgeous, and women notice a man with a watch, by which I mean it can look very well and women take note of that. I think a lot of lads don't understand the little details make a difference. It's an attractive accessory, and completely practical too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Wrist watch has been replaced by the smartphone to check the time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

BikeQueery wrote: »
    My phone battery died one day and I needed the time, which was when I realised I was stupid not to have a watch.

This actually happened to me one day, but then I just glanced at the watch on the wrist of the person next to me and all was well with the world.

Of course you then have to deal with that nagging voice in your head saying "How do I know that guy's watch is right? Maybe it doesn't even work and he just likes the way it looks. Dude, you're gonna be laaaaaate".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I used to wear a watch all the time but I haven't in years. I can't really remember why I stopped, to be honest.

I do remember, though, that I used to get told I wore my watch on the "wrong" wrist because I'm right-handed but wore it on the right wrist. But that was because I injured my left arm in my teens and couldn't wear the watch on there while it healed so I swapped and then never switched back. People get surprisingly uppity about something that has absolutely no bearing on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Actually I do have a pocket watch, forgot about that. It's stopped so I need to get it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

http://i.imgur.com/Z1FtR.jpg

Always wanted one of these as among other things I loved the brushed steel strap they produce. Worn it nearly every day for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I'll wear one again when someone invents a stretchy wristband that doesn't pinch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ugh... 28 years of age and the things I grew up with are 'retro' already. What an age we live in! :pac:

Tellin' ya. I have a telephone here that does everything bar wash the babby, and has more storage and CPU power than my laptop. If you told me that in 1986 I'd have said you were mad! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was at a conference of techy nerds in June and we were asked how many of us wear a watch. It was about 10%, so i'm quite surprised by the results here.
    Well to be fair "techy nerds" are a particular demographic K.
    The most common reason for not wearing one was using the phone to tell the time, not a watch.
    Yep. We've kinda gone back to the pocket watch. It may turn out that the heyday of the wristwatch was less than a hundred years old(they're actually quite a recent invention, really only taking off post world war one). Plus the time is everywhere these days. It's hard to miss it. It's not that long ago in human civilisation when portable timekeepers were rare enough and people ran to the rhythm of nature and distant church bells.
    Wait... calculator watches aren't cool anymore?
    I still have mine I got as a kid in the late 70's. Seiko's first calculator watch. Wear it the odd time, though I do find digital readouts less easily read/acquired when glancing at the time. Analogue is quicker to read. Hence important instruments in aircraft and the like are rendered as analogue even if they're being displayed on a flat panel.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I wear one to tell the time. I have no interest in them as fashion accessories. Mine is a digital Cannibal Active watch and cost about €35. It's a good price for a watch. Expensive enough that I know it's not a piece of crap that will just stop working and cheap enough that I won't be too broken up if I lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭893bet

thefloss wrote: »
    http://i.imgur.com/Z1FtR.jpg

Always wanted one of these as among other things I loved the brushed steel strap they produce. Worn it nearly every day for two years.

These make my knees weak. Is that your one?

Soon I will have the skyfall.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d7/1d/01/d71d01a9026e24cdffa83e5f818340ad.jpg

My PO daily.

893bet wrote: »
    These make my knees weak. Is that your one?

Soon I will have the skyfall.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d7/1d/01/d71d01a9026e24cdffa83e5f818340ad.jpg

Yeah that's my arm! I remember some dude coming in as I was getting measured up looking for the current Bond one which I thought was fierce tacky

- if the one in your URL is the Skyfall Seamaster then OK... I just couldn't buy/wear one with a '007' in place of the '7' mark, or something similar ;)

893bet wrote: »
    My PO daily.

I love the orange! Mine was the last of their quartz range, or so I was told at the time. Maybe I'll get a chronometer in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Yeah that's my arm! I remember some dude coming in as I was getting measured up looking for the current Bond one which I thought was fierce tacky

- if the one in your URL is the Skyfall Seamaster then OK... I just couldn't buy/wear one with a '007' in place of the '7' mark, or something similar ;)

It is the skyfall seamaster but it doesnt have 007 mentioned anywhere (thankfully)! It is the most beautiful versatile watch.

http://www.ocabj.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Ocab-20130520-064009-1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I do, but I take it off when I'm doing anything. Seriously. Anything. If I sit down to have a cup of tea the watch comes off. I really just use the strap to transport the watch from location to location through the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

I think it's a generational thing, kids who grew up in the mobile phone era just used their phones to tell the time and never got the watch bug. It's also possibly a cultural thing too, the continentals (Spanish/French/Italians) seem to be greater enthusiasts of watches than we are. Most people I know of my age (40+) wear a watch. A shame really as a watch is one of the few accessories a man can wear and there is such a range of styles to cover every taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Well the stats are clear, After Hours is a sausage-fest!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I love the orange! Mine was the last of their quartz range, or so I was told at the time. Maybe I'll get a chronometer in a few years
    That said the quartz will outperform it every way. Far more accurate, no/low maintenance save for battery changes and much more robust overall. Don't get me wrong I love mechanical movement watches. Well over half my collection go tick tick, but I'm under no illusion that they're quirky and a throwback to a bygone age. It's what I love about them, but quartz wins. Pretty much the only reason mechanicals are fashionable today is because of marketing by the Swatch group in the late 80's when they saw they could sell "authenticity" and more, sell it at much higher margins.

Interestingly on the gender front women didn't buy into that marketing. The vast majority of really expensive high end top name women's watches are quartz powered. Some women into watches will buy vintage watches that tick, but if going new go for the new tech. More sensible.
    Darwin wrote: »
    I think it's a generational thing, kids who grew up in the mobile phone era just used their phones to tell the time and never got the watch bug.
    I'd reckon that's pretty much it alright.
    It's also possibly a cultural thing too, the continentals (Spanish/French/Italians) seem to be greater enthusiasts of watches than we are.
    The Italians in particular. They buy more watches per head than anywhere else on the planet. Something like the avarage Italian bloke has an average of 5 watches and italian women 3. It's a huge market and has been for decades. They also buy new pocketwatches too. Mad stylish feckers that they are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

I don't wear a watch.

I'm left handed. As a rule you're meant to wear your watch on your left hand, but I find that its bulk and weight makes writing difficult, so I do without.

I do like the idea of a watch though, something very classy and efficient about a nice, subtle time piece! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

131spanner wrote: »
    I don't wear a watch.

I'm left handed. As a rule you're meant to wear your watch on your left hand, but I find that its bulk and weight makes writing difficult, so I do without.

I do like the idea of a watch though, something very classy and efficient about a nice, subtle time piece! :)

As a rule you wear the watch on the wrist of the non-dominant (recessive?!?) hand. Wearing your watch on the hand itself would make lots of things difficult.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

endacl wrote: »
    As a rule you wear the watch on the wrist of the non-dominant (recessive?!?) hand. Wearing your watch on the hand itself would make lots of things difficult.

:pac:

I was once told by a very opinionated gentleman that you ALWAYS wear it on your left hand, I've been living a lie the whole time! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

No, the time on my phone is more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    The poll most conclusively establishes that after hours is male dominated.

For sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Very few female voters !

I gave up wearing-my watch when I used to get the train to Dublin every day for work. When it was late even 10 seconds I would have a heart attack, so stopped for my health as the train was never on time.

That's about 6 years, never miss it anymore, and ended up giving up the train to drive, I had more time and got home much earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

No, the time on my phone is more accurate.

the main reason i like wearing a watch is to somewhat reduce the dependency on my phone. Every time i check time on phone, i also check for emails texts etc, which i really don't care about seeing immediately; but once you see it you have to open them.
    with watch, phone stays in pocket unless i need it or actively want to check it.

Advertisement