Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Yep, lost without one.

Got a phone call from a jewellers last week, said they are moving and were going through some old stuff they had for repair. I left a watch in there in 2011. I put it on the long finger going back in to get it and then forgot about it.
    Collected it last week too.

Wouldn't mind but I bout two watches since leaving it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

Battery died :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Did when I was younger, then stopped about 6/7 years ago when my last one broke and I was using my phone to check the time anyway.

Got a new watch though last year and wear it every day since.

Looking to buy one of these next (as in within the next 6 months - maybe!):

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citizen-chrono-perpetual-a-t-alarm-chronograph-radio-controlled-eco-drive-watch-at4004-52e-p99941071.html

or

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citizen-chrono-perpetual-a-t-alarm-chronograph-radio-controlled-eco-drive-watch-at4106-52x-p99961595.html

Can't decide which though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Is this a wind up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    The poll most conclusively establishes that after hours is male dominated.
    dulpit wrote: »
    Also, where all the women at?

Maybe the thread title just wasn't something most women were interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Is this a wind up?

No, quartz.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mauzo! wrote: »
    My arm feels weird without one. I own about 20 as well.
    Just like me then. :D I've about the same number of them, mostly either pre 1945 or early quartz jobs from the 70's*. I love the design and technology involved from early wristwatches from world war 1 to the quartz tech race of the 70's.

*Can be great bargains to be had in the latter as collecting types still tend to look down on them, so you can get real quality from big names and in funky designs for a couple of hundred quid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

Woman here. I haven't worn one in years. I have one though, maybe I'll wear it today :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, I've had a few but never really wore one. I find them uncomfortable when doing... anything at all involving my hands!

I must admit though, it can be a pain taking your phone out of your pocket all the time. I may end up getting the Apple watch thing when ever it's out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Wow very few women on this thread:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

I have recently took to wearing Ansley Watches, the Rose Gold Sailor series. Nice, classic feel to it. Made in Ireland also, which is a positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Have worn a watch mostly every day. Some days I forget. I don't really use a mobile phone so much easier for me to use a watch. I wore a fancy swatch watch for a few years until it broke and now I wear a ice watch. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Can't stand anything on my wrists, no watches no bracelets. Same with rings can't wear those either. Probably from years of piano and cello and constantly taking them off
    It's a shame though cos there's some really pretty watches out there. Maybe I'll get one and try get used to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I wear a watch when I leave the house, I take it off when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Start wearing a watch a few months back because got sick of the battery in my smartphone dying and not been able to tell the time in the evenings. Feels weird when not wearing one now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have 10 watches. One for every day of the week and twice on Sunday… plus an extra one for Bank Holidays.

That's 9. Maybe get one of those calculator watches

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'd feel weird if I don't wear one. I don't wear one inside the house though. I need a clock in every room in my house.

I've been wearing a watch since I was about 4. Though, the watches I wear now are a lot less colourful and luminiscent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 I Voted For Kodos

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I wore mine on my right. I'm left handed and it just felt more normal that way.

Being young and immature in secondary school I listened to the lads who said if you wear on your right you are telling the world you are gay. I believe there is a similar story for guys with an earring.

Tried on my left and just didn't like it and ditched the watch.

I watch films and see the like of George Clooney advertising on billboards and I have concluded that everyone in Hollywood wears it on their left

I'm right handed and always wear my watches on my right hand, just feels natural. Have always been told you're supposed to wear a watch on your left hand though, no idea why. Heard the gay thing about an ear ring in the right ear back in school alright, never about watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hate the feel of a watch on me, longest I've ever wore one was for about 3 hours!

Don't wear any jewellery either or the same reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, I wear a watch all the time except in bed. It is a rather elegant fourteen year old gold-plated Citizen, analogue with a quartz mechanism. It's too dumb to figure out that there are different numbers of days in the months, and there are far more accurate ways of telling the time these days, but I love the stupid thing anyway. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I was at a conference of techy nerds in June and we were asked how many of us wear a watch. It was about 10%, so i'm quite surprised by the results here. The most common reason for not wearing one was using the phone to tell the time, not a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There's probably about 10 devices within 30 feet of me at any given time day or night that prominently display the time, so a watch seems fairly redundant at this stage.

Not to mention that, within say an hour of last having seen the time, my brain does a pretty good job of estimating how much has elapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have 4 watches in working order. I have worn a watch since I was like 13, due to my Mum insisting that a young man should have a nice watch. Still wear one to this day for the most part. Sometimes I forget to put a watch on in the morning, but otherwise always wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

There's probably about 10 devices within 30 feet of me at any given time day or night that prominently display the time, so a watch seems fairly redundant at this stage.

Not to mention that, within say an hour of last having seen the time, my brain does a pretty good job of estimating how much has elapsed.

A poor man's Jack Reacher!!

I have a coupke of cheapish watches but only wear one every now & again when I get a figary.

Also, like an earlier post, had a nice watch before that thought there was 30 days in every month.

jj1 wrote: »
    A poor man's Jack Reacher!!

I don't know what this means! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

bluewolf wrote: »
    Can't stand anything on my wrists, no watches no bracelets. Same with rings can't wear those either. Probably from years of piano and cello and constantly taking them off
    It's a shame though cos there's some really pretty watches out there. Maybe I'll get one and try get used to it
    Same.

There was also the trauma of having my pink power ranger watch STOLEN in primary school.

Screw you, Shauna.

That site the picture of the watch is on has sent me into a tail-spin of nostalgia. Look at these!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jj1

I don't know what this means! :pac:

He's a character in a series of books & he used to basically have a clock in his head.

If he woke up in the morning, he'd be like "6.18, time to make tracks.

The books are a giod read.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    ...That site the picture of the watch is on has sent me into a tail-spin of nostalgia. Look at these!

Unfortunately I am of that particular vintage that remembers when we thought calculator watches were just about the coolest thing in the Universe. :pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    Unfortunately I am of that particular vintage that remembers when we thought calculator watches were just about the coolest thing in the Universe. :pac:

Wait... calculator watches aren't cool anymore?

• Advertisement

Wait... calculator watches aren't cool anymore?

Well, they're sort of Retro-Cool nowadays, something like using a CBM64 to read email. :pac:

Advertisement