Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

I was just watching a video review of Android's latest smart watch (which you can watch here youtu.be/2z9uOm-Ydrk if you're so inclined) and all I could think was "Who the hell is going to want this?" I don't wear a watch. The day I finished my Junior Cert, I took off my watch and never put one on again. That was thirteen years ago. And then I started wondering how many people do even wear watches these days.

Select the option that most applies to you 354 votes

I'm MALE and YES, I regularly wear a watch
    0% 0 votes
    I'm FEMALE and YES, I regularly wear a watch
    59% 209 votes
    I'm MALE and NO, I don't wear a watch
    7% 26 votes
    I'm FEMALE and NO, I don't wear a watch
    33% 119 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mynamewasgone!

I stopped wearing a watch years ago when working on a building site as a teenager. I found myself constantly checking the time and causing the day to drag. Got a lot more done and the day went faster once I got rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Yes. Why not? There's no town crier where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I do, handier for telling the time from and will only run out of juice one every two years or so.

I can live without getting a text, but a man without the Time is bolloxed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

I wear a watch every day. I feel naked without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Cough....waiting for iWatch..cough cough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

My arm feels weird without one. I own about 20 as well. I just love buying watches.

my mam once said its stupid because I only wear one at a time, so I wore 2 for months.

My husband never has and never will. He hates the feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wear a heart rate monitor into work (I cycle) a watch during the day and the HRM back home.

There ya go OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Tried several times (no pun intended), but just can't get comfortable with watches. My phone tells the time just fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wear a watch occasionally. Damn thing pinches at the hair on my wrist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Used to, not anymore.
    I work on a farm so I'm only asking for trouble if I wore one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yeah. Think it looks nice, and it stops me being one of those who has to constantly pull their phone out to check the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I am lost unless I have a watch on. I just find it very handy. Plus the watch has a sentimental value to me; it's a limited edition watch, made by Chelsea Football Club, from 2010. The year Chelsea won their first League and FA Cup Double. So yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Used to religiously, and like religion I find it now obsolete in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I use boards to the time 00:59

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I stopped wearing a watch because I got sick of people asking me, "have you got the right time?"

I eventually got fed up replying with my fabulously witty smart arse default response, "No, I have this timepiece wrapped around my wrist because I like to regularly aquaint myself with the wrong fucking time".

So now I just don't bother wearing one and simply say "no."

Next question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I would if I could only find the fecking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Used to wear one. Had to rub it a few times a day due to sweat on it. Now i just use my phone for the time.

As a kid i used to love the casio watches with all the diffrent buttons made me feel like james bond lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I remember being in Spain somewhere and getting a pink Baby G watch. I absolutely loved it.

I got a Swatch bracelet watch in Amsterdam but left it in a changing room. It was my favourite watch ever. Had loads of different coloured clear plastic balls on it, and everyone used to comment on how unique it was. Been searchung for it online for years. Emailed swatch as well but they didnt have a clue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have some dress watches I wear occasionally when I have to wear a suit but most of the time, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The poll most conclusively establishes that after hours is male dominated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Casio F91-W, found on mountain trail in Bosnia in 40 degree heat in 2008, I don't how long it was there, but 6 years later the baby is still going.

The cheapest digital watch about 4 euro on amazon and practically indestructible, RAF and US marines have put through the worst of everything.

You all recognise it I say.

Design hasn't changed since 1991 and I love the utilitarian look of it. (Yes it looks cheap, but somehow hardy) Favourite watch of terrorists and Al Qaeda too. I've fairly small wrists too, so fits all ages, I hate the hair pulling of chain watches every 2 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-91W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I wore mine on my right. I'm left handed and it just felt more normal that way.

Being young and immature in secondary school I listened to the lads who said if you wear on your right you are telling the world you are gay. I believe there is a similar story for guys with an earring.

Tried on my left and just didn't like it and ditched the watch.

I watch films and see the like of George Clooney advertising on billboards and I have concluded that everyone in Hollywood wears it on their left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Wear one on Sundays and special occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭240 Robert

I wear a watch for work, for report times, at scene, leaving etc. Despite all the gadgets, the system still requires us to write in all our times but after years of wearing a watch day n night, I recently started taking off the watch as soon as I get home, feels good not to be clock watching the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wear a watch most times, although I generally don't wear one at work, gets in the way while typing.

Also, where all the women at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I wear a watch on my ankle - just to freak people out when they ask me the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have 10 watches. One for every day of the week and twice on Sunday… plus an extra one for Bank Holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Adamantium wrote: »
    Casio F91-W, found on mountain trail in Bosnia in 40 degree heat in 2008, I don't how long it was there, but 6 years later the baby is still going.

The cheapest digital watch about 4 euro on amazon and practically indestructible, RAF and US marines have put through the worst of everything.

You all recognise it I say.

Design hasn't changed since 1991 and I love the utilitarian look of it. (Yes it looks cheap, but somehow hardy) Favourite watch of terrorists and Al Qaeda too. I've fairly small wrists too, so fits all ages, I hate the hair pulling of chain watches every 2 seconds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-91W

I've one of those too, with a NATO style red and black striped strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I took of my wrist watch when I turned 45 and now use pocket watches.

it's what the 5th pocket in your jeans is FOR

my every day watch is a 1918 rolled gold Waltham, but for special occasions I have my great grandfathers gold 1888 Waltham

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80424690

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Have worn a watch nearly every day over the last 30 years, can't imagine not having one

Advertisement