Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

So just got off the phone with an Eircom engineer (there was an issue with my line and he was in the exchange working on it). He said that my main exchange that I am directly connected to CEL1 was live. So I contacted eircom enquiring and they have told me efibre is enabled and the max I can get is 24mbps.

This sucks because I am only 150m / 200 yards from the connection. They said that distance meant nothing and I could be the last connection in a 10k area. After all my waiting it seems pointless to change to fibre now given I am getting 16mbps on adsl.

Sky Broadband, who I am with, told me they clocked the fibre at 12mbps when last tested.

Soul destroying after all the waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

MediaHaul wrote: »
    So just got off the phone with an Eircom engineer (there was an issue with my line and he was in the exchange working on it). He said that my main exchange that I am directly connected to CEL1 was live. So I contacted eircom enquiring and they have told me efibre is enabled and the max I can get is 24mbps.

This sucks because I am only 150m / 200 yards from the connection. They said that distance meant nothing and I could be the last connection in a 10k area. After all my waiting it seems pointless to change to fibre now given I am getting 16mbps on adsl.

Sky Broadband, who I am with, told me they clocked the fibre at 12mbps when last tested.

Soul destroying after all the waiting.

the upload will be miles better if/when you change over.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1800M from the exchange would give 16Mb or a little better on ADSL2+, about 12 on VDSL. This was always going to be the case with lines of this nature.

If there was definitely a wiring fault on your line though, that could throw the prequals and give bad estimates. Get your dAttenuation figure from your modem. If its around 25dB then the above is right, if lower you might do better.

ED E wrote: »
    1800M from the exchange would give 16Mb or a little better on ADSL2+, about 12 on VDSL. This was always going to be the case with lines of this nature.

If there was definitely a wiring fault on your line though, that could throw the prequals and give bad estimates. Get your dAttenuation figure from your modem. If its around 25dB then the above is right, if lower you might do better.

Thanks ED E.

How would I go about getting that info from my modem?

And I'm not 1800m I am 150m from the exchange. Seems a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

150M from a VDSL cabinet, or the exchange building itself? Is it possible your line runs "the other way" around the block to get there?

Login to your modem at 192.168.1.254 with username and password from the bottom/googling them (depends on modem model/ISP). The status or diagnostic page will show the line rates: speed, attenuation, SNR. Copy paste them here and we can review.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    150M from a VDSL cabinet, or the exchange building itself? Is it possible your line runs "the other way" around the block to get there?

Login to your modem at 192.168.1.254 with username and password from the bottom/googling them (depends on modem model/ISP). The status or diagnostic page will show the line rates: speed, attenuation, SNR. Copy paste them here and we can review.

Great thanks!

I would be very surprised if it went the long way around to be honest.

Time will tell I suppose. I may go fibre just for the better upload speed as suggested above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bk wrote: »
    Ok, some really good news, I've heard that eVDSL has gotten the go ahead and that the following exchanges will go live on the 18/03/2014:

AFD1
    CRT1
    LCN1
    RUY1
    ASN1
    CRW1
    LHA1
    SAN1
    BBS1
    CTY1
    LKD1
    SHN1
    BCA1
    CVN1
    MAH1
    SKS1
    BDT1
    DBN1
    MGN1
    SND1
    BLP1
    DBT1
    MGR1
    SRL1
    BMN1
    DGS1
    MHZ1
    STN1
    BRN2
    DNN1
    MNT1
    THS1
    BSE1
    DNU1
    MSN1
    TLR1
    BTE1
    DSN1
    MYN1
    TRM1
    BUO1
    FBK1
    NAS1
    TWV1
    BWM1
    FNG1
    NWT1
    VGA1
    CAB1
    FOX1
    OGT1
    WAL1
    CEL1
    GMR1
    PGS1
    WST1
    CHD1
    GRS1
    PMK1
    CLS1
    ISL1
    PRP1
    CLT1
    KDN1
    RCL1
    CNR1
    KGN1
    RSL1
    CPH1
    KLO1
    RTD1
    CRL1
    KME1
    RUS1

Today's the day - have any of these gone live (my local GRS1 is still blue on the map)./

Mine is still not green but as I said previous I think it is actually live (but I'm getting speeds that aren't worth changing over to)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

My numbers on the relevant exhange are not appearing as enabled on the eircom web site. I'm assuming it may take some time for that system to be updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Some of those exchanges are already live, I know a business who got installed direct from Ballymote exchange 2 weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »
    Was it a new line install or did they just upgrade an existing line? I assume it's no more than patching into a new block in the exchange for existing lines?

Upgrade but it's the same thing, just jumpered to a new vdsl block in the exchange instead of adsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

How the speed increases from 10Mb to 100 Mb if the change is that simple ?

It doesn't for me. In fact it goes down from 16mb to 12mb in my case!

mailsanchu wrote: »
    How the speed increases from 10Mb to 100 Mb if the change is that simple ?

This is just the upgrade install for the customer, the new vdsl blocks are connected to fibre and support upto 100mbit bit will most likely only do up to 50mbit as there is no vectoring. The customer is connected to the new vdsl block in the same way as they got connected to adsl block.

I completely understand your frustration .. After all waiting all these years for downgrade of broadband :)

I got the "sorry this happens" fromEircom when I queried why I was getting such crap fibre speeds when I was so close to the exchange. Followed by "maybe in 2016 if we upgrade it will increase".

If I could move today I would.

What upgrade they are referring to "maybe in 2016 if we upgrade it will increase"

• Advertisement

yuloni wrote: »

Connected to CEL1, but it appears to already be live. Was on to an engineer about another issue and he said it had gone live.

Chatted to Eircom sales and they said 24mb is the max speed I'll get, and my current provider Sky clocked it at 12mb for fibre. Currently getting 16mb adsl.

I am 150m from the main exchange and direct fed.

mailsanchu wrote: »
    What upgrade they are referring to "maybe in 2016 if we upgrade it will increase"

No idea! They are the worlds best bullshi**ers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If anyone can post their modem stats from an evdsl install we would be very happy to see them on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I contacted Eircom just now to ask about Clonakilty exchange and they said they currently have no solution for direct fed lines but are awaiting on a regulation to be passed. They could give no indication of dates etc etc etc.
    Hard to know what to believe anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I passed the new Co-action build in Scartagh, Clonakilty yesterday and there was a KN Networks van and chap going in with a box under his arm. I assume he was installing a fibre broadband connection but since there are no cabs around just the exchange 100m away, are they were doing it eVDSL ? Or do KN Networks also do some of the old ADSL installs as well for Eircom ? Are they limiting eVDLS to just new line installs if that is the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ClonNGB wrote: »
    I passed the new Co-action build in Scartagh, Clonakilty yesterday and there was a KN Networks van and chap going in with a box under his arm. I assume he was installing a fibre broadband connection but since there are no cabs around just the exchange 100m away, are they were doing it eVDSL ? Or do KN Networks also do some of the old ADSL installs as well for Eircom ? Are they limiting eVDLS to just new line installs if that is the case ?

KN install telephone lines in people's homes for Eircom, so they could be doing anything it seems.

KN install telephone lines in people's homes for Eircom, so they could be doing anything it seems.

Eircom techs only do fault repair, everything else is out to KN, new provides, upgrades etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ClonNGB wrote: »

I have been out on site in that very building they have, isdn lines fractional for phones and another line that hosts fax and standard adsl tapping out around 3-6 MB ( Its been a few years since i was in there)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭MBSnr

All aboard the colour change!!

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

MBSnr wrote: »
    All aboard the colour change!!

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Wow, that would be the exchange launched then! Hope that means they will be upgrading the backhaul.

Advertisement