Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ED E wrote: »
    Means you're likely talking post 2016.

Time to move !!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I have been on ADSL2+ for past year, I previously had a belkin modem. When I was moved to ADSL2+ I would sync between 7200k and on rare occassions around 9600k. This modem broke 16 days ago and currently have an Eircom D1000 on lend and when I connected with that i synced at 10200k but since then it's been rising steadily over the past 2 weeks. There hasn't been any disconnections since I first connected the modem. System uptime is now almost 16 days and the sync rate has risen 3 times since I first powered the modem on.

There is a duct 500meters from my house and an Eircom guy was working there last week for a few hours. A neighbour stopped and asked him was he gonna put efibre there and he said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

For foxes mints, Clonakilty igonored again. CKY1

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Remember, this is 3wks away. That'll keep the installers busy for a few months doing in premises works, they may well add another rake of exchanges at that point.

Anyone counted the number of exchanges in blue on the map? Might indicate the size of this phase.

ClonNGB wrote: »
    For foxes mints, Clonakilty igonored again. CKY1

Im only over the road in macroom same, i have three fold grated duct at the foot of my front door itll be ftth if i stayed long enough . but i cant i need real broadband badly for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

It seems like a lot of the places getting eVDSL are in UPC areas, which means this is to fight off the 240Mb UPC offers which must be killing Eircom. If you are lucky to live in these areas you will have a glut of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bah. No cur1 on the list.

ClonNGB wrote: »
    It seems like a lot of the places getting eVDSL are in UPC areas, which means this is to fight off the 240Mb UPC offers which must be killing Eircom. If you are lucky to live in these areas you will have a glut of options.

I agree they may be focusing on areas where they have suffered the most loss . Certainly looks that way to me.

IE Clon and Macroom are a closed area for them in terms of subscribers with no other vendors to challenge them.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

I'm not sure if this is news as such but I'm connected directly to the exchange and was told a solution is being worked on etc and hopefully be implemented within the next 12 months. But this week when i enter my number in eircoms efibre checker its now showing up as I can get efibre but my download speed would only be 7Mb, not much use since I already get about 12Mb on my adsl but that online checker has never before said that I could avail of it, is it possibly an error or are there developments for those directly connected? Anyone else noticing this?

I'm not sure if this is news as such but I'm connected directly to the exchange and was told a solution is being worked on etc and hopefully be implemented within the next 12 months. But this week when i enter my number in eircoms efibre checker its now showing up as I can get efibre but my download speed would only be 7Mb, not much use since I already get about 12Mb on my adsl but that online checker has never before said that I could avail of it, is it possibly an error or are there developments for those directly connected? Anyone else noticing this?

12Mb suggests you're further than 2KM from the exchange. Surprised you're prequalling at all.

Wait for FTTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Is there anyway of finding which cabinet/exchange you are connected to via phone number?

2/3 that are the only ones nearest me (and they are grouped together in Moycullen in Co. Galway) are eFibre ready.

Currently syncing at 2Mbit at my folks house. They are getting really annoyed. They blame me for anything that goes wrong for computers/internet. :rolleyes: Attenuation is crazy high on their line, can't quite recall the exact value but it's nearly 60 dB.

12Mb suggests you're further than 2KM from the exchange. Surprised you're prequalling at all.

Wait for FTTH.

The worst thing is, I have two cabinets either side of my house less than 50m each way yet they are white elephants for me. FTTH will be years away from my small, rural village in Co. Limerick I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

The worst thing is, I have two cabinets either side of my house less than 50m each way yet they are white elephants for me. FTTH will be years away from my small, rural village in Co. Limerick I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

dont you worry Boy Enda and the NBP has you covered ,tee hee sorry had too im in the same boat , lets sink together ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If those are FTTC cabs, then it is highly likely that it will be relatively cheap and easy for Eircom to run FTTH from one of these to your homes.

In fact your are the ideal customer for this sort of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

bk wrote: »
    If those are FTTC cabs, then it is highly likely that it will be relatively cheap and easy for Eircom to run FTTH from one of these to your homes.

Can I clarify what's being proposed here ? My phone line is directly connected to the exchange, and way too far for FTTC. (In fact, I got ADSL connected last year as an experiment, and got a maximum of 8 Mb). I'm at such a distance, I'm not really interested in any kind of solution that connects me directly to the exchange.

There is a FTTC cabinet visible from my front door, I could probably throw a ball and hit it. Under the latest plan, will Eircom just connect me via fibre or copper to that cabinet ?

Those cabs will have fiber termination points and splitters/splices that they will feed from those cabs to your home ( Not all but most will be done from cabs)

I like you am direct fed and have triple grated duct access at my front door , thses man holes eircom owned will have fiber gear dropped into them when they begin the ftth roll outs so blowing a fibre run from there to you will be easy pickings for them as it would be the same for me . I am not hanging around anymore though . Im done waiting .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Alan_P wrote: »
    There is a FTTC cabinet visible from my front door, I could probably throw a ball and hit it. Under the latest plan, will Eircom just connect me via fibre or copper to that cabinet ?

No, under eVDSL, the VDSL is from the exchange.

Eircom could move the line to the cab and there is some evidence they have done this in a small number of cases, but for the most part they don't seem to be doing it.

Once they complete the VDSL rollout and hit the low hanging fruit, the hope is that they will start to do such network reconfiguration then. Alternatively they may opt to skip this and just run a new FTTH fiber cable from your closest cab to your home.

The new phase for both on their own and as part of the NBP is FTTH. Thats a fibre drop into your home.

Those green boxes are both fed by 24 fibres, each. They each use 4 of these with 20 sitting "dark". When this new product starts rolling out you'd be spliced onto one of the dark fibres with 10-20 of your neighbors, and distance is pretty much irrelevant :)

The new phase for both on their own and as part of the NBP is FTTH. Thats a fibre drop into your home.

Those green boxes are both fed by 24 fibres, each. They each use 4 of these with 20 sitting "dark". When this new product starts rolling out you'd be spliced onto one of the dark fibres with 10-20 of your neighbors, and distance is pretty much irrelevant :)

Fap Fap Fap i love when you say Dark Fiber .

bk wrote: »

Yep those are FTTC cabs and all my neighbours are currently getting 80+Mb speeds. At least some of the replies on this have given me new hope, but I won't be holding my breath for developments anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭MediaHaul

Just wondering if anyone has seen their cab / exchange go live as mentioned by BK on page 14?

Still grey for me on the where / when rollout map so really hoping they go live on the 18th!

MediaHaul wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has seen their cab / exchange go live as mentioned by BK on page 14?

Still grey for me on the where / when rollout map so really hoping they go live on the 18th!

I've heard that some of them have already gone live. But I don't know which ones.

Thanks BK! I am directly connected to CEL1 (main exchange in Celbridge, Kildare). Recently switched to Sky so hoping when this goes live (if it does) I can bump up my connection.

As someone who has never had fibre like UPC etc this would be a dream!

If you hear anymore stick it up here if possible :-)

Thanks BK! I am directly connected to CEL1 (main exchange in Celbridge, Kildare). Recently switched to Sky so hoping when this goes live (if it does) I can bump up my connection.

As someone who has never had fibre like UPC etc this would be a dream!

If you hear anymore stick it up here if possible :-)

Better hope they dont delay eVDSL by 18 months like they did with VDSL so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

According to Eircom and Sky my Fibre is enabled, since about 2 weeks ago, but only clocking at a speed of 12mbps (my adsl gives me 16mbps).

So I'm hoping when the exchange actually turns green and is properly live this will change.

12mbps makes no sense given that I'm about 100-150m away from the exchange at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

According to Eircom and Sky my Fibre is enabled, since about 2 weeks ago, but only clocking at a speed of 12mbps (my adsl gives me 16mbps).

So I'm hoping when the exchange actually turns green and is properly live this will change.

12mbps makes no sense given that I'm about 100-150m away from the exchange at most.

Exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Question please for soemone who is a bit green on these things!

There is a live fibre cabinet(according to Eircom site, RCM1_015) approx 1km from my own and my parents house.

My parents have (poor) broadband for a good few years now and when I do a fibre line checker it's saying it's not available in our area.

How do I find out if my parents are connected to this cabinet/exchange.

I'm comtemplating getting broadband for my own house but not if it's anything like my parents currently have.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BullBauld wrote: »
    How do I find out if my parents are connected to this cabinet/exchange.

they're not. If they were the line checker would tell you they could get eFibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

loyatemu wrote: »
    they're not. If they were the line checker would tell you they could get eFibre.

Not true. Plenty around here can't get it even though they're connected to a copper distribution cab that is services by a live fibre cab. Most well within 1Km of the cab.
    My cab went live last week. There is a crossroads about 500mtrs from it. Everyone up to the crossroad and everyone down the road to the right can get fibre but the houses up the road to the left cannot.

Advertisement