Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭billyduk

Got a return contact on my expression of interest for eFibre... the max speed I can get on my newly enabled DF line 2.3km from the exchange is????? 7MB... <deflated trombone music> This is roughly what I am getting without eFibre. I'm ignorant to telecoms tech and I fully expected significant falloff, but this doesn't seem right...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

billyduk wrote: »
    Got a return contact on my expression of interest for eFibre... the max speed I can get on my newly enabled DF line 2.3km from the exchange is????? 7MB... <deflated trombone music> This is roughly what I am getting without eFibre. I'm ignorant to telecoms tech and I fully expected significant falloff, but this doesn't seem right...

Its short range optimized. Great speeds within 500m, nada past 2k.

NB: This graph is very conservative. With vectoring the drop off isnt quite that steep.

fttn-speed-graph.gif

If I was you I would NOT take up fibre. Upload will be better, but the minimum profile is 7Mb, so it may end up being borderline and not very stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yuloni wrote: »

I guess that is why they don't bother to connect people to cabinets if they are not living within a densely populated housing estate. Those who live within a close to far range to the cabinet but live on a street instead of the housing estate don't get connected to the cabinet as Eircom's eFibre is useless to most people beyond 1.2km as their ADSL2+ speeds are probably better.

Im 2km from a cabinet but will be left waiting anything from a minimum of 4 years to anything up to 30 years before the NBP start's connecting people up!

By the time the NBP gets going even speeds of 30meg will be not that great by then so hopefully Eircom are looking at proper FTTH for the rest of us. Those who are on eFibre who suffer low speeds beyond 1km should be moved to the NBP too I reckon.

Gonna edit that post, the graph is old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That graph isn't 'real world' though and doesn't look like it accounts for vectoring. I've seen connections at 500/600mtr pulling ~60 meg down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭dimsumss

planned means nothing,even just installed means 6 months wait

ED E wrote: »
    Its short range optimized. Great speeds within 500m, nada past 2k.

NB: This graph is very conservative. With vectoring the drop off isnt quite that steep.

fttn-speed-graph.gif

If I was you I would NOT take up fibre. Upload will be better, but the minimum profile is 7Mb, so it may end up being borderline and not very stable.

Thanks for the post. That is quite a cliff...:eek:

Ya I told Eircom as much (Got a little satisfaction from the deflated trombone sound of the salespersons voice). It's just frustrating as I run a business from an outbuilding conversion in my home and deal in high volume DL/UL of large media files (about 20/10GB DL/UL volume per day) on a daily basis. At the moment we have to plan this and run the process overnight so that we don't get bottlenecked during the day. It's embarrassing. We don't need to move as the office can cater for another 8 desks comfortably, but we will have to if we continue to grow and can't get the service required to enable us to work efficiently. That's a significant overhead added to the business for something as trivial as decent broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While very informative, that graph is out of date and doesn't reflect Eircoms VDSL2 with vectoring.

Eircoms VDSL definitely well out performs ADSL2+ out to at least 1.2km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Thanks for the post. That is quite a cliff...:eek:

Ya I told Eircom as much (Got a little satisfaction from the deflated trombone sound of the salespersons voice). It's just frustrating as I run a business from an outbuilding conversion in my home and deal in high volume DL/UL of large media files (about 20/10GB DL/UL volume per day) on a daily basis. At the moment we have to plan this and run the process overnight so that we don't get bottlenecked during the day. It's embarrassing. We don't need to move as the office can cater for another 8 desks comfortably, but we will have to if we continue to grow and can't get the service required to enable us to work efficiently. That's a significant overhead added to the business for something as trivial as decent broadband.

Can you not find someone closer to the cabinet and relay that connection to your place? There's really not a lot to it if you have clear line of sight.

Can you not find someone closer to the cabinet and relay that connection to your place? There's really not a lot to it if you have clear line of sight.

Good idea, but unfortunately its a no-go. The only neighbours I know on those terms are either side of me and they are DF also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

It is sad to learn that you are DF and to sit here trying to speculate or eek out the info that they don't supply and to wonder will it improve my situation or not . 4-5 months and sadly this has caused me to have to move for the same reasons , My job i need to have industry standard broadband . I don't want to leave the area i am in but the pipes demand it . God damn you to hell DF lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Interesting... I'm at 2.5Km and would take the 7Mb/1Mb profile (which I hope is an option to me) as it's an improvement over my ADSL 6Mb/384kb. Even just to reduce the contention issues alone. Fed up of it working fine then 'oh look buffering'....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PFFFFFFFFFT

I live really close to the exchange (50-100m) and I only get 6Mb DL and .5 Mb UL.First of all,why is this?Why am I getting so low speeds when I live right by the exchange?My exchange has turned Blue on the NGA map.When eFibre does come to my exchange,will I get high speeds despite the low speeds I get right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

I live really close to the exchange (50-100m) and I only get 6Mb DL and .5 Mb UL.First of all,why is this?Why am I getting so low speeds when I live right by the exchange?My exchange has turned Blue on the NGA map.When eFibre does come to my exchange,will I get high speeds despite the low speeds I get right now?

Post a screenshot of your router's stats. What's the name of your exchange/hometown? Your exchange might only be enabled for 8Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

So how does this work. Do you have to install some kind of transmitter at the source and receiver at the other end.

Thats a 7Mb package, so its probably an ADSL1 exchange. Ask your provider if its possible to upgrade to a 24Mb package. If its not, they havent fitted ADSL2+ racks in the exchange yet.

hesker wrote: »
    So how does this work. Do you have to install some kind of transmitter at the source and receiver at the other end.

A modem and a ubiquiti point to point link back to the real premises, then another router or access point there to connect devices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

I also live in a small village where the exchange is only ADSL enabled get 6MB download speed 2km from exchange..

Would it not be better to upgrade these areas to ADSL2+ where alot more people could benefit from higher speeds cause from what i understand EVDSL is only gonna reach about 1km??

When they run the fibre backhaul to the remote exchanges then they can fit ADSL2+ cards easily. Problem now is the bandwidth usually isnt there to support the increased load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

When they run the fibre backhaul to the remote exchanges then they can fit ADSL2+ cards easily. Problem now is the bandwidth usually isnt there to support the increased load.

Hopefully they can find a way of doing this, i'd probably get close to 12MB then which i'd be happy with for a few years anyway and i'm sure alot of other people in my situation would be as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Barry5714 wrote: »
    Hopefully they can find a way of doing this, i'd probably get close to 12MB then which i'd be happy with for a few years anyway and i'm sure alot of other people in my situation would be as well

My local exchange is on the fibre backbone but only ADSL1. I'd have over double my speed with ADSL2+.... Imagine. :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Barry5714 wrote: »
    I also live in a small village where the exchange is only ADSL enabled get 6MB download speed 2km from exchange..

Would it not be better to upgrade these areas to ADSL2+ where alot more people could benefit from higher speeds cause from what i understand EVDSL is only gonna reach about 1km??

Actually VDSL can operate over long distances and performs roughly the same as ADSL2+ over long distances.

So far they are limiting people who can get VDSL to those only within 2km because so far VDSL has mostly been only rolled out to areas that already have ADSL2+ and there is no point moving them over the VDSL as they will see no change.

However as they enable EVDSL and install it in more rural exchanges that are ADSL1 only, then I'd imagine they will enable VDSL2 for people much further out to give then ADSL2+ type speeds. Just speculation, no confirmation of this yet, but it seems logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Kamasutra has invented a new sex position it's called the "Eircom appointment" you stay in all day and no one comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

bk wrote: »
    Actually VDSL can operate over long distances and performs roughly the same as ADSL2+ over long distances.

So far they are limiting people who can get VDSL to those only within 2km because so far VDSL has mostly been only rolled out to areas that already have ADSL2+ and there is no point moving them over the VDSL as they will see no change.

However as they enable EVDSL and install it in more rural exchanges that are ADSL1 only, then I'd imagine they will enable VDSL2 for people much further out to give then ADSL2+ type speeds. Just speculation, no confirmation of this yet, but it seems logical.
    A lot of it has to do with valuable ports. Why waste it on someone who gets a 25% to 50% speed boost when others can get double or triple their existing speeds? I know cabinets in Drogheda in particular (except for those at the edges of the town on radial routes out) are often extended and would contain easily over 200 lines in various locations.

But any line would benefit from a reduction in line length and it's annoying to see underused cabinets, like DBC010/DBC014 where half of the citizenry of Tullyallen have 1 mbit max connections even though those cabinets are 3km to 4km away. Scores of lines could be covered but two VDSL2 cabinets between them are serving less than 50 lines currently? Madness.

I will give eircom a clap on the back when these situations can be sorted out but to my mind, leaving cabinets upgraded and underutilized is just incompetent. Termonfeckin (TFN) has 2 or 3 cabinets, 2 of which are 2 to 3 km away from the exchange itself and ironically I don't think anyone within the village/town are able to access eFibre - at least they get >18 mbit ADSL2+

Btw bk, do you have any tech documents or sources that show VDSL2's long range abilities? I found it very hard to google for such searches and I don't have enough tech knowledge to sift through the specs themselves. The wiki source is broken too.

Wait...so,when my exchange gets upgraded to eFibre (It's blue at the moment), would I be able to get high speeds even though my exchange is ADSL1 at the moment?D:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Wait...so,when my exchange gets upgraded to eFibre (It's blue at the moment), would I be able to get high speeds even though my exchange is ADSL1 at the moment?D:

if your very close to the exchange you should do grand, it's all depending on your line length rather than road distance to exchange.

VDSL2 will service those within 1800m of the exchange. If you're on ADSL1 now they may fit ADSL2+ cards that you could be swapped to if outside the VDSL2 coverage area.

VDSL2 will service those within 1800m of the exchange. If you're on ADSL1 now they may fit ADSL2+ cards that you could be swapped to if outside the VDSL2 coverage area.

I'm only about 50-100m from my exchange lol.So that means I'll get VDSL2?

• Advertisement

I'm only about 50-100m from my exchange lol.So that means I'll get VDSL2?

Yep, 60 or 70Mb to start with, more later with vectoring most likely.

Advertisement