Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be no speed limits on parts of the motorways?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'd trust a good driver to do over 120 in a decent car but the speed limit needs to also unfortunately apply to people who are afraid of driving their little 1L, in which they don't even currently do 120, because they're texting, just not paying attention to the road, or they just don't feel comfortable driving that 'fast'. I've heard the latter from a friend my age, they made a comment about everyone zooming past them, and I said well it's because you're doing under 100 and it's a motorway with a 120 limit.

120 should be the recommended speed not the balls to the wall absolute limit beyond which you're a potential murderer. In the same way that some drivers feel comfortable doing 20 under that limit, capable drivers should be able to do that same 20 over, at least.

kneemos wrote: »
    Yeah but you get there quicker.
    But I do get a tank of "free" petrol every few weeks by not racing everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

What is this 'speed limit' thing everyone talks about? Is it the maximum speed your car is capable of? If so, it should be around the 220km/h mark for me (or 300 when I'm on the bike :P

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm not sure that there shouldn't not be no speed limits nowhere.

Too many negatives, my brain hurts

Don't do what Donnie don't does

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

wud love to see exactly the top speed in my 96 1.1ltr micra is, i think it cud be 140kph, (i got go faster stripes)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Most Irish drivers are too **** at motorways to handle anything over 100kph reliably already so I don't see it happening.

/changes into overtaking Lane without indicating
    /continues driving at same speed while texting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Big C wrote: »
    wud love to see exactly the top speed in my 96 1.1ltr micra is, i think it cud be 140kph, (i got go faster stripes)

A lot of cars are near their limit at 120,

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

The distances between our major urban centres are not significant enough to warrant an increase in speed limit. There would need to be a real economic benefit to justify such an increase whereas in reality the time saved in connecting out cities would be in the order of minutes.

Alias G wrote: »
    The distances between our major urban centres are not significant enough to warrant an increase in speed limit. There would need to be a real economic benefit to justify such an increase whereas in reality the time saved in connecting out cities would be in the order of minutes.
    More often than not, the cars you do overtake on the open motorway are in your rear view mirror at the first bottleneck when you get to the end anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    One fundamental flaw - a lot of people here can't use a motorway and are unpredictable on them. Undertaking and hogging the outside lane way too common. It would be carnage.

The German autobahns without speed limits work because people there know how to use them.

I completely agree, I use the Autobahn very frequently and it's an excellent system. In Ireland, half the drivers don't even have a clue how to indicate when they're approaching or on a roundabout, never mind using a motorway.

• Advertisement

I completely agree, I use the Autobahn very frequently and it's an excellent system. In Ireland, half the drivers don't even have a clue how to indicate when they're approaching or on a roundabout, never mind using a motorway.

Half is generous.

Maybe one in ten irish drivers will bother their hole to indicate properly on a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Maybe one in ten irish drivers will bother their hole to indicate properly on a roundabout.

Bother their hole or have clue? I think it's more to do with cluelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't think I'd agree with no speed limits, but I think some of the 120 kph sections should probably be up around 160 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Most Irish drivers are too **** at motorways to handle anything over 100kph reliably already so I don't see it happening.

/changes into overtaking Lane without indicating
    /continues driving at same speed while texting

+1

The tailkbacks on the M7 towards Naas on Friday due to clowns who probably make the same trip at least 5 times a week suddenly realising they need to get from the overtaking lane to the exit at the very last second.Special mention goes to the guy pulling a trailer while on the phone as he swayed from side to side.

It's gas that we are getting new motorways built and they are becoming the primary routes for getting around Ireland yet there's no training for driving on them.When you see somebody stop at the end of an entrance to the M50 then indicate you know something bad is going to happen to them at some stage.
    As somebody once said to me, "it's easy to drive fast but hard to drive properly".

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

More often than not, the cars you do overtake on the open motorway are in your rear view mirror at the first bottleneck when you get to the end anyway.

Possibly...but the faster vehicle has had more fun on the journey, in my opinion anyway! Vroom vroom

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote: »
    Another thing that would scare me off this in Ireland is the amount of videos that have been posted on the dash cam thread of cars going the wrong way down a motorway/dual carriageway.
    Despite the oft quoted opinion on here that such things only happen in Ireland, there are plenty of those in Germany too, they call them 'Geisterfahrer' or Ghost drivers. Also in the Netherlands where they're called 'Spookrijders' ... same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

Alun wrote: »
    Despite the oft quoted opinion on here that such things only happen in Ireland, there are plenty of those in Germany too, they call them 'Geisterfahrer' or Ghost drivers. Also in the Netherlands where they're called 'Spookrijders' ... same thing.

Yea, I went out with a German girl in the past and she told me about those Ghost Drivers and you reminded me of a joke she told me once.

Wife is sitting at home listening to the radio and hears there's a Ghost Driver on the same autobahn her husband is taking home. She sits nervously for hours until he finally arrives. She meets him at the door and says, 'my god, I heard there was a Ghost Driver on the autobahn'. He replies, ONE, there were thousands of them'.

Back on topic. Having experienced the autobahns in Germany, there is no way it would work in Ireland. We're simply not good enough drivers and not aware enough of our surroundings, when driving.

zerks wrote: »
    +1

As somebody once said to me, "it's easy to drive fast but hard to drive properly".

I prefer to say: "Any clown can drive fast in a straight line."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I prefer to say: "Any clown can drive fast in a straight line."

Except on Irish motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Great idea!

Charging along the M4 at 160 km/h when a lorry overtaking another lorry at 70 km/h pulls into your path.

As I said, great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

I don't see why saving people a small bit of time is preferable to safer motorways..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

If the right hand lane was free you can essentially drive as fast as you want.

What's to stop you?

However Irish motorists are self policing in that all lanes including the right lane are clogged up with eejits trundling along at the same low speed. Creating basically a wall of cars across the motorway that the progressive motorist cannot get around.

Of everyone kept to the speed limit this would never happen. I have never seen anyone in the overtaking lane of an Irish motorway doing less than the limit in free flow conditions.

Keeping to the limit and overtaking someone on the inside doing 115kmh takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Patww79 wrote: »

If eradicating speed limits on certain parts of motorway leads to a higher number of deaths on the roads, like I think it would, then I don't think it's worth it. That's the point I was trying to make.

An idiot driving at 120km/h is better than an idiot driving at 200km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Of everyone kept to the speed limit this would never happen. I have never seen anyone in the overtaking lane of an Irish motorway doing less than the limit in free flow conditions.

Keeping to the limit and overtaking someone on the inside doing 115kmh takes time.

You don't drive much do you. I saw it three times this morning alone on the N7 and M50 S.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

coaches and trucks should have their limits lowered, **** the road hauliers association and the other groups they will do nothing about it

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

No. An excuse for assholes who think that when you are using the overtaking lane to overtake and they charge up to within 10 feet of your back bumper you should cut in and drive someone else off the road. You want people out of your way in a hurry get some blue lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Great idea!

Charging along the M4 at 160 km/h when a lorry overtaking another lorry at 70 km/h pulls into your path.

As I said, great idea.

Yeah, preferably the change in limits would come into effect with a days notice. And happen at 11 a.m. on a Tuesday. Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

c_man wrote: »
    Yeah, preferably the change in limits would come into effect with a days notice. And happen at 11 a.m. on a Tuesday. Good man.

Wait, something would happen to stop lorries overtaking lorries at 70-80 km/h? I don't think so.

Advertisement