Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be no speed limits on parts of the motorways?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Wait, something would happen to stop lorries overtaking lorries at 70-80 km/h? I don't think so.

Usually when bringing in new laws/limits/whatever, there are associated measures taken with it. So as said increased campaign, clamping down on that, lessons to take stuff into account etc etc. Kinda what happens all the time with other stuff. You seem to think it would happen overnight with nothing to back it up. Kinda remind me of the anti-smoking-ban brigade's howling when the ban was proposed to an extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

c_man wrote: »
    Usually when bringing in new laws/limits/whatever, there are associated measures taken with it. So as said increased campaign, clamping down on that, lessons to take stuff into account etc etc. Kinda what happens all the time with other stuff. You seem to think it would happen overnight with nothing to back it up. Kinda remind me of the anti-smoking-ban brigade's howling when the ban was proposed to an extent.

Lorries overtaking on Motorways is already illegal. You could have a five year lead-in to the new limits and nothing would change.

Lorries overtaking on Motorways is already illegal. You could have a five year lead-in to the new limits and nothing would change.

I'm just in a bad mood thanks to Galways performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Wait, something would happen to stop lorries overtaking lorries at 70-80 km/h? I don't think so.
    yes, if caught, a 50000 euros fine and a ban of up to 10 years

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Ferrari at 200 miles an hour is standing like they are going Fiestas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Irish drivers can't be trusted to drive safely at the best of times.

Removing speed limits would be carnage.

If you can't stick to the speed limit then you shouldn't be on the road.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's not preferable. But speeding isn't the single only evil on our roads the way some people (and the authorities) make it out to be. Far from it.

It's not the only evil. But it is the biggest one. Along with motorists being in serious denial about its dangers and pretending that you HAVE to drive on the speed limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

It's not the only evil. But it is the biggest one. Along with motorists being in serious denial about its dangers and pretending that you HAVE to drive on the speed limit.

I completely disagree with that. Speed is an exacerbating factor that turns the dumb things that Irish drivers do from survivable to fatal.

It isn't the direct cause of accidents in itself. That's down to Paddy playing with his phone, pulling out of junctions in front of people too late, overtaking with traffic coming the other way, changing lanes without either looking or indicating and myriad other things that you will encounter on literally every car journey in this country.

I completely disagree with that. Speed is an exacerbating factor that turns the dumb things that Irish drivers do from survivable to fatal.

It isn't the direct cause of accidents in itself. That's down to Paddy playing with his phone, pulling out of junctions in front of people too late, overtaking with traffic coming the other way, changing lanes without either looking or indicating and myriad other things that you will encounter on literally every car journey in this country.

These are issues too absolutely

But it doesn't help that people insist on doing them with their foot to the floor.

• Advertisement

porsche959 wrote: »
    Ferrari at 200 miles an hour is standing like they are going Fiestas!

I was expecting him to break through the time barrier near the end of that video.

Irish drivers can't be trusted to drive safely at the best of times.

The statistics say otherwise. Irish drivers are actually quite safe. I agree with you that removing speed limits would be foolhardy.

How much have you driven abroad? In which countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But it doesn't help that people insist on doing them with their foot to the floor.
    Really? My own experience of driving in Ireland, after 20 years of driving on the continent, is quite the opposite. You do see the occasional maniac, yes, but generally speaking I'd say I've never come across so many dawdlers on the roads, secondary, primary and motorways as I have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yes, that's what happens every single time someone goes fast. And going slower ensures it will never happen. Great insight.

Stupid comment. That was neither stated or implied.

If you checked the OPs quote highlighted viz.
    It might even help the economy! Well, it can't hurt right?

And I posted
    Private health care companies, and car dealerships please note

You would see the photo refers to the opportunities and challenges such a move could provide. Better read what is said rather than redrafting - its easier for the hard of understanding...

But as to your unrelated comment -accidents on motorways at high speeds (and otherwise) do tend to yield greater opportunities for mass carnage.
    c_man wrote:
    First thing, I'm not referring to ditching all speed limits, or some lad coming off the M50 at 200mph into an industrial estate.

Should we adopt a similar approach to our motorways as the German's have with their autobahns i.e. where it makes sense, we should have recommended speed limits on the particular sections of the motorway, rather than enforced limits?

I was on the Dublin to Galway bus during the week, felt we could do it in a much better time. Plus I think it would be class.

Excessive speed isn’t the only cause of Motorway pile ups.

Excessive speed ins't the only cause of Motorway pile ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Excessive speed isn’t the only cause of Motorway pile ups.

Says playback on other sites has been disabled by the owner :(

gozunda wrote: »
    Says playback on other sites has been disabled by the owner :(
    I reposted it with a working link, but the original one can be seen if you go to youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Even though I'd probably be more comfortable staying under 140km/hr myself, I wouldn't mind seeing limits increased to say 160km/hr, particularly on more rural stretchs of M-ways where there are good distances between exits. Only thing I would suggest though is that along with any increased speeds, there is a policy of zero tolerance for muppetry, particularly hogging overtaking lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

c_man wrote: »
    First thing, I'm not referring to ditching all speed limits, or some lad coming off the M50 at 200mph into an industrial estate.

Should we adopt a similar approach to our motorways as the German's have with their autobahns i.e. where it makes sense, we should have recommended speed limits on the particular sections of the motorway, rather than enforced limits?

I was on the Dublin to Galway bus during the week, felt we could do it in a much better time. Plus I think it would be class.

You've lost me; why would it be ''class''?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Why is it that in the UK dual carriageways and motorways are 70mph (113 km) and in Ireland dual carriageway 100km
    (63mph) with some parts of motorways also 100 km

blueser wrote: »
    You've lost me; why would it be ''class''?

No problem. Going fast is fun. Or 'class' if you will. Add in that I started this thread this morning at 9ish, after a serious night last. Hope that clears things up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

jellyboy wrote: »
    For this "idea" to be valid ,we need motorways
    not the dual carriages we have that masquerade as motorways

its a bit like going to Brown Thomas and buying a shirt with a primark label

Stand over that one. How do you think they fall short? Have you seen the state of some of the German Autobahn network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

I suppose it'd help natural selection to run its course.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I completely agree, I use the Autobahn very frequently and it's an excellent system. In Ireland, half the drivers don't even have a clue how to indicate when they're approaching or on a roundabout, never mind using a motorway.
    In theory you could have a system where drivers who have passed an advanced driving being allowed travel over 120Kmph in the outside lane when there are at least three lanes in a vehicle that is approved for such speeds, cf. German speed symbols on backs of vehicles, being allowed

But if you've ever travelled from the M50 to the M4 or taken a trip on the Naas road to Naas you'd know that most Irish drivers (90%+ unless traffic is very heavy) Don't even have a clue of what lane they should be in.

When you have idiots toddling along at 10-20Kmph under the speed limit in the middle lane and not prosecuted for obstruction or dangerous driving then asking for more hazards isn't on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

We need to get the scientists working on tube technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

Lets teach ourselves how to drive on motorways before we speed our collective idiocy up.

DanWall wrote: »
    Why is it that in the UK dual carriageways and motorways are 70mph (113 km) and in Ireland dual carriageway 100km
    (63mph) with some parts of motorways also 100 km
    Because of the central barrier separating the flows of traffic. Some sections of UK dual carriageway do have lower limits because of crossover junctions & roundabouts and the like.

There's nothing to stop a section of modern dual carriageway here having a limit of 120kph, It's just up to the local council to apply for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Apart from the aforementioned issue with drivers not handling excessive speeds, the other issue with higher limits only in some areas is that most people would not slow down when they got to the end of that section, even if the signage told them to do so. Travel onto the Athlone by-pass from the M6 or into Dublin on the M7/N7 to see what I mean.

Advertisement