Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be no speed limits on parts of the motorways?

Options
  • 03-08-2014 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

First thing, I'm not referring to ditching all speed limits, or some lad coming off the M50 at 200mph into an industrial estate.

Should we adopt a similar approach to our motorways as the German's have with their autobahns i.e. where it makes sense, we should have recommended speed limits on the particular sections of the motorway, rather than enforced limits?

I was on the Dublin to Galway bus during the week, felt we could do it in a much better time. Plus I think it would be class.

It might even help the economy! Well, it can't hurt right?

Should we get rid of speed limits on certain sections of motorways? 205 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    51% 105 votes
    Rename the M6 to the "Garth Brooks" expressway
    39% 81 votes
    Lower all speed limits
    9% 19 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

c_man wrote: »
    First thing, I'm not referring to ditching all speed limits, or some lad coming off the M50 at 200mph into an industrial estate.

Should we adopt a similar approach to our motorways as the German's have with their autobahns i.e. where it makes sense, we should have recommended speed limits on the particular sections of the motorway, rather than enforced limits?

I was on the Dublin to Galway bus during the week, felt we could do it in a much better time. Plus I think it would be class.

Good god no! For all the people who could be trusted to drive safely on such a motorway, there are 30 who can't. It would be carnage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Atari jaguar.

Also, yes , motorways should not have a speed limit. Just drive in a straight line and shut up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

guppy wrote: »
    Good god no! For all the people who could be trusted to drive safely on such a motorway, there are 30 who can't. It would be carnage.

Well. Only for a while. Right? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Sweet jesus man ,think of the children!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

For this "idea" to be valid ,we need motorways
    not the dual carriages we have that masquerade as motorways

its a bit like going to Brown Thomas and buying a shirt with a primark label

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

The majority of Irish people cannot drive on motorways already, the reason it works in Germany is they understand what an overtaking lane is.

They don't stay there and then get annoyed when cars drive right up behind them in an attempt to overtake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Not like anyone pays attention to the rules of the road on motorways at the moment. Lunatics changing lanes at 240 kph without looking in a mirror or using an indicator would make driving so much more fun, idiots tailgating at 300 kph..... fantastic craic.
    120kph ( +/- a little) is more than enough for 99.9% of the drivers in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

One fundamental flaw - a lot of people here can't use a motorway and are unpredictable on them. Undertaking and hogging the outside lane way too common. It would be carnage.

The German autobahns without speed limits work because people there know how to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I use the motorway everyday. Irish driver's generally suck at using motorways, hogging overtaking lanes and lack of indication when changing. So no, that would be the last thing we need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm not sure that there shouldn't not be no speed limits nowhere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Maybe when drivers manage to deal with 30kph zone...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Buses are limited to a speed of 100kph, as far as know. As in, I think they physically can't go any faster. And are not permitted to either. Transporting a large amount of precious cargo and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

For people driving proper cars, like letting loose a BMW 6 series.

It's not the same driving some crank people carrier that could push 100mph at it's limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

pb-111119-autobahn2-cannon.photoblog900.jpg

Private health care companies, and car dealerships please note :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

I dont think getting rid of the speed limit is a good idea (too many fcuking idiots in this country), but the limit should be increased to about 150/160 for cars imo.

Ok a lot of negativity towards the idea. I've revised the plan.

Immediate actions:
    - Make safe motorway conduct a critical part of the driving test.
    - Penalty points or whatever for people acting the bollocks by blocking the overtaking lane.

Medium term plans:
    - Design buses that can safely exceed 100kph.
    - Rely on future self driving cars to make this a reality.

Long term plan:
    - Invent safe-for-human matter to energy transporters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

We don't have 3 lane motorways so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,815 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Driver education, lane discipline etc are seriously lacking in this country. The motorways we have are certainly capable of higher speeds, but most of our fully licensed drivers aren't. Having said that, there should definitely be more options such as increased speeds between say midnight and 05:00 when most of the leisure drivers are tucked away in bed.

Another thing that would scare me off this in Ireland is the amount of videos that have been posted on the dash cam thread of cars going the wrong way down a motorway/dual carriageway. Two cars meeting head to head at 100/120kmph will just about have enough reaction time, if they are both going 200kmph, this will cut their chances drastically. Again driver education, discipline and awareness is paramount.

Motorways are such a pleasure to drive on the continent, exceptional lane discipline and it's almost like watching synchronised swimming how beautiful it is to see everyone get back into the driving lane after an overtake, you almost forget you're being overtaken by someone going 250kmph+.

cormie wrote: »
    Another thing that would scare me off this in Ireland is the amount of videos that have been posted on the dash cam thread of cars going the wrong way down a motorway/dual carriageway.

Ah in fairness Jim McDaid has cleaned up his act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yes but only if we also introduce a German style driving training system, if it happens without that sadly I'll have to predict carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Motorways are the safest roads we have

Motorway speed should be set in relation to your car. My car is just cruising along at ease at 100mph while other cars would feel like they are about to fall apart.

That said a general limit of 160kmh(100mph) would be fine by me. 120kmh is far too slow for a modern road in a modern car.
    jellyboy wrote: »

We probably have some of the best motorways in the world as they are new. Far superior surfaces to the US, UK and many other countries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

No speed limit ftw. Then again, I live in Germany and the majority of road users actually know how to drive properly. This is because it's mandatory to take over 20 hours of driving lessons and weeks of evening classes before you're allowed in front of the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jellyboy wrote: »

Have to agree.What I've seen of our dual carriageways/motorways are too crowded,winding or narrow even for the current speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Drakares wrote: »
    No speed limit ftw. Then again, I live in Germany and the majority of road users actually know how to drive properly. This is because it's mandatory to take over 20 hours of driving lessons and weeks of evening classes before you're allowed in front of the wheel.

How can they take 20 hours of driving lessons if they are not allowed in front of the wheel. Also do Germans only drive in reverse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Some valid comparisons with Germany here but they have had motorways for decades and everyone there grew up with them.

They are a relatively new concept here and many people haven't a clue how to use them, as has been pointed out here.

Its ridiculous that our driving testing and training hasn't been modified to keep up with the opening of our new motorways.

Newly qualified drivers can rip it down the M6 within minutes of passing their test without ever having taken lessons on one.

I'm in favour of minimum speed limits being introduce over a period of time when testing and training catches up and other 'experienced drivers' become more used to them.

I also think speed limits should fluctuate depending on traffic and weather conditions. Doing 160 kph on a clear dry surface is fine but even 100 kph in some of the rainfall we've had in places recently is utter lunacy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

If the right hand lane was free you can essentially drive as fast as you want.

What's to stop you?

However Irish motorists are self policing in that all lanes including the right lane are clogged up with eejits trundling along at the same low speed. Creating basically a wall of cars across the motorway that the progressive motorist cannot get around.

For those of you who would want to go as fast as possible, just remember that your fuel consumption will increase rapidly as you go faster.
    A car that uses 6l/100km at 100kph will probably use 8l/100 at 140mph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

For those of you who would want to go as fast as possible, just remember that your fuel consumption will increase rapidly as you go faster.
    A car that uses 6l/100km at 100kph will probably use 8l/100 at 140mph.

Yeah but you get there quicker.

Advertisement