Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDS Craft Beer Festival Sep 4-7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

JayRoc wrote: »
    Just heard from the lads at the Dark Horse that the Galway Bay stand was selling 200 fathoms?!

Did anyone happen to notice if they still had any today, cos I would crawl over broken glass to get my paws on more of that stuff...?

It was sold out very fast last night so unless they have another cask for today you might be out of luck.

Some incredible beers were had last night. Favourites would've been the Trouble Brewing Chasing The Dragon and the White Hag Imperial Stout. Foam and Fury not too shabby either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I think galway bay have another keg for today but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

jsa112 wrote: »
    Anybody try that Blacks IPC - 16% ipa/cider hybrid ?

Yeah I had two tastes of it - one from each of the brewers. I absolutely loved it - it would be amazing instead of a dessert wine with cheese or foie gras. Desperately want a bottle of it. Ooh thought it would be great over ice cream as well especially a walnut or cinnamon one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

So much scrumpy...

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

White Gypsy sour for the diacetyl trophy. I know I should have asked for a sniff/taste but there were a lot of people hanging around the bar. Smells like: butter. Tastes like: butter gone off in some water. Totally turned me off a brewery that has never really given me anything more than meh anyways.

Some really shoddy quality control going, how are you actually selling beer that is totally off?

Good beers too, of course, sadly a lot of pale ale upon a pale ale upon a pale ale etc...catching a bit of 200 fathoms was nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

snowblind wrote: »

Some really shoddy quality control going, how are you actually selling beer that is totally off?
    It's deliberately "off", the guy said they leave it in the sun for the bacteria to do their thing and voila. Thought it was rank myself. One of my mates couldn't rid himself of the taste even after 6 more beers!
    Good beers too, of course, sadly a lot of pale ale upon a pale ale upon a pale ale etc
    The Irish palate/market seems fairly narrow alright, a lot of very similar stuff with "the hoppier the better" being the mantra extolled by most of the brewers I was talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had a great night last night. White Hag stand out as brewer of the festival for me. Barrelhead brewery were interesting as well, they had a very nice amber that tasted like a stout!? Was disappointed with most of the festival specials I tried. O'Hara's Hop Heavy had an almost skunky taste? Eight degrees Alba Abu was only okay, I was probably expecting too much after Amber Ella.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

On my way to it now. I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Really liked the Galway Bay Blue Monday stuff, West Kerry brewery had a nice coffee porter and final favourite was White Hag's stout. Kudos also to Kinnegar for their Blackbucket.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The White Gypsy sour is a French style Biere de Garde. They brewed the beer then aged it for 6 months in French oak that had been deliberately left to left sour bacteria form. After that they blended it with fresh Biere de Garde. It wasn't to my taste but a lot of people who enjoy sour Belgian beer liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Really hoping that White Hag Imperial Stout is made available in pubs/off-licenses. Its special stuff.

Very empty here at the moment. Great opportunity to talk to the staff on the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Going in after the f1

Looking forward to tasting some new ales

And the match of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

was there last night....now suffering 4 different kinda hangovers......White Hag stole the show for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭DuckHook

Heroditas wrote: »
    Very empty here at the moment. Great opportunity to talk to the staff on the stands.

Was in yesterday and was very busy..be a few sore heads knocking around this morning.

Personal favourite was the barrelhead indie ale, I asked the bar guy for something not an IPA and it was class and full of flavor without that full on hoppyness.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Went to it yesterday, really nice atmosphere and great to chat with the guys behind the stalls. Feeling it this morning though :).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

DuckHook wrote: »
    Was in yesterday and was very busy..be a few sore heads knocking around this morning.

Personal favourite was the barrelhead indie ale, I asked the bar guy for something not an IPA and it was class and full of flavor without that full on hoppyness.

Cool. I have that on my list anyway.
    On my third drink now and they're bloody rocket fuel. I'm glad I'm not in work tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Deffo man I'll be there just after 5

Battery ran out on my phone. Had a look around the various stands for you but was very crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

White Gypsy sour for the diacetyl trophy. I know I should have asked for a sniff/taste but there were a lot of people hanging around the bar. Smells like: butter. Tastes like: butter gone off in some water. Totally turned me off a brewery that has never really given me anything more than meh anyways.

Some really shoddy quality control going, how are you actually selling beer that is totally off?!

Really one of the festival highlights for me and the 20 odd people I sent up to try it. Drank in on Thursday, Friday and Saturday :)

neckedit wrote: »
    was there last night....now suffering 4 different kinda hangovers......White Hag stole the show for me....

Yea white hag was fantastic, their white IPA was a stand out beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

The White Gypsy sour was one of the highlights of the show for me, although you can see how it would not be to everyone's taste. It was like good soda bread with a dash of white balsamic. And maybe a small bit of soft cheese too! Gorgeous...

And The White Hag? Talk about hitting the ground running...
    Loved their branding and attitude too.

Great festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I didn't get diacetyl off the WG sour. Lots and lots of vanillin though, to be expected as it's wood aged. It was barely what I call sour but it was very nice.

n97 mini wrote: »
    It was barely what I call sour but it was very nice.

The beer was back blended as it was felt then original was to sour, swings and arounds I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The White IPA from The White Hag is pouring in L. Mulligans at the moment. Lovely beer, one of my favourites from yesterday, and it's just as nice as I remembered.

Good God, I'm dying. Fantastic day though.
    Highlights for me included Trouble's Chasing the Dragon and Mountain Man's Crazy Horse.
    Honourable mention to Black's Rocketship.
    Also, pleasantly surprised by the new concoction from McGargles when I was given a sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

White Hag stole the show for me. Their White IPA, Red IPA and Imperial Oatmeal Stout were all fantastic offerings. From trying the other ones of theirs the only one I wasn't impressed with was the Wit

Was nice to give 200 Fathoms a go again but disappointed that I missed the Galway Bay Oatmeal IPA

The VietNow from Trouble was very tasty but I was disappointed by the Oh Yeah black ale, it was ok but didn't have the kick I was hoping for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I also thought Chasing the Dragon was up with OFAF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

oblivious wrote: »
    Really one of the festival highlights for me and the 20 odd people I sent up to try it. Drank in on Thursday, Friday and Saturday :)

Me also, fantastic stuff. Really unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

n97 mini wrote: »
    I didn't get diacetyl off the WG sour. Lots and lots of vanillin though, to be expected as it's wood aged. It was barely what I call sour but it was very nice.
    Odd, my friends had a sniff of the beer and everyone noted the strong diacetyl. I usually like sour beers and unusual flavours, but this was just straight up off. Perhaps it was the particular keg, bacause gone off butter tasting beer would be a tough sell I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Have a head on me today here as well.

Highlights for me were Kelly's Mountain Brew Justice Larger and Blacks Rocketship.

Biggest disappointment was Bo Bristle's Smokey Bacon Beer which was smokey with no bacon. If it worked it could have replaced breakfast on a Sunday morning :D

Advertisement