Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDS Craft Beer Festival Sep 4-7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Is that just for beer or do you need to pay for the food in there with tokens too?

You can pay for food with cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Heaven indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

What a great night, some brilliant beers pouring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So, who's been? What are the things to look out for? Dying to hear about it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Yes, do share. I'll be along today.

• Advertisement

I would recommend the Imperial Oatmeal Stout, Black Boar from WhiteHag.. I would however recommend it as the last drink of the night...

The Riasc Red from West Kerry was fantastic, The Chameleon Smokescreen from Metalman was interesting.. I have never had a smoked beer before so it was a unique experience.. the Hopped Porter from O'Haras was one I was hoping to try but they hadn't it on last night. Hopefully it will be on tomorrow. Sheep Stealer Saison from Black Donkey is well worth trying too. I had a few others but my memory is poor as I get older ;)

Dan Kellys ciders are very nice too if Cider is ones tipple of choice.

I am glad I went down last night as it was not too crowded and made getting around that little bit easier and giving you time to chat to / annoy the people on the stands.

Got through 13 in the five hour session last night.

White Hag were a revelation, streets ahead of the other new breweries with huge, bold, flavoursome high ABV beers. Word is that they contracted an American brewer to get them started - well it's worked, they've leapfrogged practically everyone. The Imperial Red and Oatmeal Stout, my god. Total game changer here.

Other highlights were 8 Degrees Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale, Troubles Chase The Dragon DIPA,
    Blacks Rocket Ship IPA and Metalmans Mystery #2 (which is the can prototype I think - sign me up).

Lowlights were Carlows sour - terrible as many of their beers seem to be when they venture from their core range. That's it really. The 5 Lamps brown could live without the filtering maybe and the Bo Bristle Imperial Red was grassy in the finish.

In typical annoying White Gypsy fashion they produce arguably the most interesting beer of the session but didn't bother to tell anyone about it. If there's a more poorly organised brewery in the country I'd be surprised. Don't bother with social media, a proper website, proper distribution or proper communication.

I've just remembered through my hangover haze that most of white hags range is export only and not destined for the Irish market.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sorry but theres no excuse for not bothering your hole to submit a list of your beers to anyone for a paid event. I didnt see that tweet, am I supposed to check 40 breweries twitter feeds for the last month? They'd enough time to produce a big bloody poster.

Oh and I forgot to mention - The Pieman pies are EPIC.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    I've just remembered through my hangover haze that most of white hags range is export only and not destined for the Irish market.

They are the main stand I want to go back to tomorrow. Shame about the range being for export only :(

They are the main stand I want to go back to tomorrow. Shame about the range being for export only :(

Its up to you to get them to change their mind :)

I wonder what their thinking is? That the Irish market isnt ready for beer that interesting? That price point would rule it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I wonder what their thinking is? That the Irish market isnt ready for beer that interesting? That price point would rule it out?

Maybe they think they market it going to reach saturation? Everyone vying for the same shelf space.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Maybe they think they market it going to reach saturation? Everyone vying for the same shelf space.
    Possible I guess. I hear they are exporting to the US, which is even more saturated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I was in last night with the GF and we both had a fabulous time. Of those that I had...
    • Jack Cody's Swiggy, a nice starter for 10.
    • Kinnegar's Blackbucket was interesting; it's Rustbucket with burnt malts.
    • Black Donkey; such a friendly couple and a good beer for the novice quaffer to take in. Give this 2 or three brews and it could be a big seller.
    • Barrelhead's Exceptional Porter was as it claims to be and shockingly smooth as well.
    • N 17's Oatmeal Stout; understated and yet a powerful brew.
    • Galway Hooker. It came free with some merchandise :)
    • Dark Arts; purely medicinal of course ;)
    • O'Hara's Wild Side. I only had a tip of this Be warned; it is nice but it's not for the faint hearted.
    • Blacks Kinsale IPA. It's come on by leaps and bounds since their first brews of a year ago.
    • West Kerry's Carrig. The only gravity cask beer that I saw and a quality brew, probably my favourite of the night.

We also had a sample of DJ's Festival Scrumpy and their Strawberry cider and the Armagh Mulled Wine, which they had warmed up as well. Pies as well which are well worth the €6; mash, peas and gravy are optional extras :)

All in all it was an excellent night; you will not be disappointed unless you wanted something specific to be there and it isn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Got through 13 in the five hour session last night.

White Hag were a revelation, streets ahead of the other new breweries with huge, bold, flavoursome high ABV beers. Word is that they contracted an American brewer to get them started - well it's worked, they've leapfrogged practically everyone. The Imperial Red and Oatmeal Stout, my god. Total game changer here.

Other highlights were 8 Degrees Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale, Troubles Chase The Dragon DIPA,
    Blacks Rocket Ship IPA and Metalmans Mystery #2 (which is the can prototype I think - sign me up).

Lowlights were Carlows sour - terrible as many of their beers seem to be when they venture from their core range. That's it really. The 5 Lamps brown could live without the filtering maybe and the Bo Bristle Imperial Red was grassy in the finish.

In typical annoying White Gypsy fashion they produce arguably the most interesting beer of the session but didn't bother to tell anyone about it. If there's a more poorly organised brewery in the country I'd be surprised. Don't bother with social media, a proper website, proper distribution or proper communication.

I think said American brewer may have been a poster on here for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Roughly how much of the beer is on cask?

A single-digit percentage, I'd say. I didn't get a full walk round but I doubt if there were as many as 15 cask beers.

I think last year showed that the festival format really doesn't do cask many favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Lowlights were Carlows sour - terrible as many of their beers seem to be when they venture from their core range. That's it really.

What was wrong with it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Best beer for me so far s 8 Degrees Scottish ale, has heather and pine needles in it. Really tasty! Only had a few hours yesterday but I'm working there all day today so will have a proper stab at the beers. A good gulp of water between beers is the key to getting round more of them. :)

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Best beer for me so far s 8 Degrees Scottish ale
    Great stuff altogether. Anyone pining after Amber-Ella should be content with this. Also on tap in The Norseman at the moment, I believe.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Roughly how much of the beer is on cask?

I only had one cask beer and it was very warm, similar to previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I only had one cask beer and it was very warm, similar to previous years.

Barrelhead Porter is slightly cooled at the tap and it benefits from same.

n97 mini wrote: »
    What was wrong with it?

It wasnt sour for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think last year showed that the festival format really doesn't do cask many favours.
    Indeed. Although that does get me thinking if that's the reason why Dungarvan aren't here this year.

Now I remember, half of White Hags stuff is for export only. I can guess which half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Thanks a mil for the pointers (earlier posts). I've a ticket for the Saturday which includes two 1/2 pints.

So, asking the experts here which two should I go for? (I do have a varied palette....except ciders. Unfortunately, they don't agree with me!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Chasing the dragon by trouble was lovely, as was crazy horse by mountain man.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

BeerNut wrote: »
    Great stuff altogether. Anyone pining after Amber-Ella should be content with this. Also on tap in The Norseman at the moment, I believe.

Not on yet but going on once Amber Ella runs out apparently. Barman also said they might be getting a keg of the White Hag oatmeal stout soon.

Heading to the festival in a couple of hours on free tickets I won, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Note to self: stop reading this thread. *jealous face*

Advertisement