Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDS Craft Beer Festival Sep 4-7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Highlights

Barrelhead Indie Amber
    &
    Bo bristle IPA

Overall thought it was a well organised Beer festival. Looking forward to next year & its continued growth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

IMO, the prize for surprising underdog beer should go to the Irish Farmhouse Ale from Roscommon brewery Sheep Stealer. I generally don't go for these, but I liked it for its slight sourness and eschewing of hoppiness. The brewer explained how they buy a malt with a certain amount of lacto bacillus, which turns it sour, then they kill it off at the right point to stop the souring process. Quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I enjoyed the festival a lot more this year, went on Sunday when it was a lot quieter.

Lots more seats/benches than last year and way more choice of beers. Loved the White Hag Imperial Oatmeal Stout and the various saisons I tried were really nice too which wouldn't be my normal tipple.

Think the pricing for drinks was fair, though the staff should let you know before pouring that some of the beers are sold in third pint measures given their strength (totally fine with that but would be nice to know before ordering).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Beers I drank:

1. Mountain Man Crazy Horse
    2. Blacks Rocketship
    3. Trouble Brewing Chasing the Dragon
    4. Franciscan Well Mythical Ale
    5. White Hag Bog Ale
    6. Barrelhead Intergalactic IGA
    7. O'Hara's Hop Heavy IPA
    8. Bo Bristle DIPA
    10. Founders whiskey porter
    11. White Hag Red IPA
    12. West Kerry Porter
    13. Trouble Brewing Chasing the Dragon (my personal favourite of the festival, so good I had it twice)
    14. Not sure...

After all of those, I somehow got a taxi home clutching 4 glasses, fell in the door at 9, got shouted at, went to bed and then was shouted at again yesterday morning because I coudn't remember being shouted at the previous night.
    Words such as "disgrace" may or may not have been uttered. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Heroditas wrote: »

I had a similar experience, I blame the cider. Great weekend though, roll on next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A perennial problem at festivals for me:
    So many beers to taste and so little tolerance:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It doesn't help that the average abv has shot up this year. I actually didn't get through as many as I normally do.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It doesn't help that the average abv has shot up this year. I actually didn't get through as many as I normally do.

Thank God they only had the half pint glasses thus year, that's all I can say!
    Most of my drinks were 6% or greater. If I'd been getting 2/3 pints of all of those (half plus a bit extra), I'd probably still be in the gutter somewhere in Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

There were definately a lot more 6 - 8% beers this year

I felt myself starting to get a bit too drunk after a 200 Fathoms, then a White Hag Black Boar, but stopped drinking to get some food (the black pudding and bacon sausage was gorgeous). Then moved back to a few lighter beers like Blacks Session Ale for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thank God they only had the half pint glasses thus year, that's all I can say!
    Most of my drinks were 6% or greater. If I'd been getting 2/3 pints of all of those (half plus a bit extra), I'd probably still be in the gutter somewhere in Ballsbridge.

/hospital. Some of them were seriously strong, especially the stouts. All the really strong ones I tried were amazing though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The mate that I bring along every year who's not a big craft beer drinker got a "Black Boar" @ 10.2% as his second beer! Ha! :D

He didn't realise until it was handed to him. He got a wobbly after that and we had to go get food.

I thought the half pint glasses were brilliant. It encourages you to try more different beers and stops you getting ossified by being lazy and just getting full pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The mate that I bring along every year who's not a big craft beer drinker got a "Black Boar" @ 10.2% as his second beer! Ha! :D

A very senior member of CAMRA NI ordered a glass, not releasing the ABV, he got a surprise :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 Hidden Cyclone

Not once did I order a strong beer and "only" get it filled to the 1/3 pint mark

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

RasTa wrote: »
    I also thought Chasing the Dragon was up with OFAF

It was all gone by the time I got around to trying it. Is it going to be available anywhere soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Trouble Brewing Chasing the Double Dragon was my favourite too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It was all gone by the time I got around to trying it. Is it going to be available anywhere soon?

They tweeted this 24hrs ago
    Did you miss our festival special, double IPA, Chasing The Dragon over the weekend? It will be available in selected pubs over coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

RasTa wrote: »
    They tweeted this 24hrs ago

Great, if I wasnt giving up booze forever Id be all over that.

Was there a best of the festival vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Beers I drank:

1. Mountain Man Crazy Horse
    2. Blacks Rocketship
    3. Trouble Brewing Chasing the Dragon
    4. Franciscan Well Mythical Ale
    5. White Hag Bog Ale
    6. Barrelhead Intergalactic IGA
    7. O'Hara's Hop Heavy IPA
    8. Bo Bristle DIPA
    10. Founders whiskey porter
    11. White Hag Red IPA
    12. West Kerry Porter
    13. Trouble Brewing Chasing the Dragon (my personal favourite of the festival, so good I had it twice)
    14. Not sure...

After all of those, I somehow got a taxi home clutching 4 glasses, fell in the door at 9, got shouted at, went to bed and then was shouted at again yesterday morning because I coudn't remember being shouted at the previous night.

That's what you get for chasing the dragon twice

One thing I was very disappointed with was the app. It was a great idea, but when I tried to use it every time I went to log a beer it crashed.

I know at least 2 other people who had the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Really enjoyed the weekend. The beer selection and quality was incredible. The average abv was definitely up from previous years! Great weekend, Fair play to all involved.

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    One thing I was very disappointed with was the app. It was a great idea, but when I tried to use it every time I went to log a beer it crashed.

Ditto. I gave up eventually and resorted to the tried and trusted method of pen and paper!

matrim wrote: »

Yeah there wasnt much need for it once you got the leaflet with all the breweries and their beers. Definitely something they need to improve on for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

On behalf of The White Hag team I'd like to say thanks for all the great response we received both at the festival and here in boards.

For anyone interested we are doing a bit of a launch in L. Mulligans here in Dublin this evening.

The Black Boar Imperial Oatmeal Stout will be available as well as the Meabh Rua Irish Bog Ale, Fleadh Ale Red IPA, and the White IPA. Come by and say hello if you're in the neighborhood!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On behalf of The White Hag team I'd like to say thanks for all the great response we received both at the festival and here in boards.

For anyone interested we are doing a bit of a launch in L. Mulligans here in Dublin this evening.

The Black Boar Imperial Oatmeal Stout will be available as well as the Meabh Rua Irish Bog Ale, Fleadh Ale Red IPA, and the White IPA. Come by and say hello if you're in the neighborhood!

Any of your beer coming to Cork?
    Its reputation precedes it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭toffeeshel

Yes available in Cork shortly- a launch night in the Bierhaus date TBC. Other outlets taking them on. Bottles as soon as they are available(about 3 weeks away) in the usual suspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

You big jerk! Why the hell didn't you tell us about this before ;p anyway can't wait to try your beers after the rave reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭darraghsherwin

The Red IPA was one of the stand out beers for me at the festival, is/will it be available in bottle and if so where?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Your white ipa was amazing

The Red IPA was one of the stand out beers for me at the festival, is/will it be available in bottle and if so where?

I was at the thing last night. They said they hope to have bottles out in about a month.

A really nice bunch of people and I hope things go well for them and they keep producing more quality beers

• Advertisement

Sorry to have missed this. Hope to see some of your stuff available to buy online or in more pubs soon. That imperial stout was special stuff! Probably my beer of the festival.

Advertisement