Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding invitation - "no posting of pic's on social media site's"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

CaraMay wrote: »
    It's at a level of privacy that the bride & groom as happy with and given it's their day, you should respect that.

My sister in law lives her life out on Facebook and once my son was born I asked her not to post photos of him on Facebook as I don't agree with it. She had no issue and respected my request. It's the same thing.

I think that is fair enough really.

My sister is not on FB and I know she'd snap if I had photos of her kids up on FB from a christening shall we say (had one ydy). My parents would not like to be on FB either. My sister has never made request - I just know this. To be fair she wouldn't snap but wouldn't be happy either shall we say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I was at a wedding a few years back where pics were on Fb BUT in some sort of private group where only people at the wedding/in the pics could see them. One reason for this was due to the crazy amount of teachers present who understandably don't want much of an online presence.

I don't see why people are so offended at the request not to post photos on social media. For whose benefit are they being posted in the first place? Surely anyone who cares for the couple will be there already, or if living abroad etc can wait a few hours/supply an email address.

No one is wrestling the camera out of your hands or making you do anything other than not upload to certain sites. Most couples in fact are grand about putting photos of yourself up, just not them/the ceremony/bridal party. Usually they've paid good money to a professional to capture the important bits.

In earlier posts someone mentioned the olden days of printing them out. I just ordered prints off my wedding app there that our guests took. Out of over 400 photos about 30 are printable/worth spending money on and I ordered maybe 20 other ones that I know my mam will want. The rest are fine, but are things like us cutting the cake from about 10 different angles, the ceremony taken from the back of the room, a bunch of photos of the feckin food (why?). So - if this was the olden days can you imagine how BORING it'd be to sit through those dodgy ones if your workmate brought them in - "oh great, another one of random cousin", " fantastic blurry one of the first dance". The thing is, those crap photos will just end up in the back of a drawer somewhere, whereas anything online stays there forever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Wouldn't bother me either way and certainly wouldn't put it on an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

sporina wrote: »
    got a wedding invite the other day and on the back is printed : "x & y request kindly for guests to refrain from posting wedding pic's on social media site's"
    not seen this before - is this a common thing now?

It's not a common thing.

Posting on Social Media on the other hand is becoming the norm.

Guess there will be interesting times ahead.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

It's not a common thing.

Posting on Social Media on the other hand is becoming the norm.

Guess there will be interesting times ahead.....

You are right, it is becoming the norm.

Does that mean everyone has to conform though?

No of course not. But be prepared for the reaction when you go putting directions like this on your invitation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

amdublin wrote: »
    You are right, it is becoming the norm.

Does that mean everyone has to conform though?

No of course not. But be prepared for the reaction when you go putting directions like this on your invitation.

Be 'prepared for the reaction' lol. Are you going to scribble on her homework :)

I just think it's common manners, when people ask you not to put photos of them on social media, to follow their wishes. What kind of a friend would have an issue with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Be 'prepared for the reaction' lol. Are you going to scribble on her homework :)

There won't be any "reaction". Amdublin just has a reactionary, bolshie streak in her which means her instant retort to ANY instruction is "don't f**king tell me what to do!". She's not going to deny that! Its no harm either! She has said that obviously she will comply with any such request, but her response is confrontational. That's just the way she feels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    There won't be any "reaction". Amdublin just has a reactionary, bolshie streak in her which means her instant retort to ANY instruction is "don't f**king tell me what to do!". She's not going to deny that! Its no harm either! She has said that obviously she will comply with any such request, but her response is confrontational. That's just the way she feels.

My response is the not confrontational. Confrontational for me would be to post something when asked not to.

I will not post. But will I think you are being princessy. Yes i will.

Edit.
    I don't curse btw. My reaction is "I don't like being told what I can't do with my photographs" not "don't tell me what I can't do".

I just think it's common manners, when people ask you not to put photos of them on social media, to follow their wishes. What kind of a friend would have an issue with that?

I just think it's common manners not to give your friends rules to follow at a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I just think it's common manners not to give your friends rules to follow at a party.

Would you object to being asked not to smoke in somebody's house if they were having a party there? Assuming you were a smoker. It's a rule plenty of people impose on visitors to their house and people generally don't object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ronjo

Or what about if a friend told you something in confidence at the party?
    Would you think it "common manners" that they expect you to keep it to yourself?

Would you object to being asked not to smoke in somebody's house if they were having a party there? Assuming you were a smoker. It's a rule plenty of people impose on visitors to their house and people generally don't object.

Umm I think cancer causing cancer sticks are a bit different from a few photos don't you.

Lads a bit of perspective please!!

ronjo wrote: »
    Or what about if a friend told you something in confidence at the party?
    Would you think it "common manners" that they expect you to keep it to yourself?

???

Oh come on!!!!!

Perspective!

There's a sensible way to get the word out about the rules that you are imposing.

Writing the whole "no social media" crap on your invite is not the way to go.

Same way you wouldn't put a sign on your door listing all your rules (including the no smoking one) for all your guests to see as they enter.

You'd use a bit of common sense and when you see someone light up you'd ask them to go outside.

With the facebook request there is no need to print it on the invites - unless you think your grandmother or your in-laws are going to put stuff up on FB??? You just appear like a crank (telling people not to do something that they weren't going to do anyway), it looks tacky and I think you will regret it down the line when you are looking back at your invite in a few years time.

Umm I think cancer causing cancer sticks are a bit different from a few photos don't you.

Lads a bit of perspective please!!

Well you said you don't think people should impose rules on their friends. So what you're now saying is that you're ok with some rules being imposed but not others.

There's a sensible way to get the word out about the rules that you are imposing.

Writing the whole "no social media" crap on your invite is not the way to go.

Same way you wouldn't put a sign on your door listing all your rules (including the no smoking one) for all your guests to see as they enter.

You'd use a bit of common sense and when you see someone light up you'd ask them to go outside.

With the facebook request there is no need to print it on the invites - unless you think your grandmother or your in-laws are going to put stuff up on FB??? You just appear like a crank (telling people not to do something that they weren't going to do anyway), it looks tacky and I think you will regret it down the line when you are looking back at your invite in a few years time.

Less of the personal attacks please.
    And for the last time I'm not getting married.

And on the invites. If I was getting married I wouldn't be keeping them. Just more clutter taking up space. I don't keep anyone else's invites either, it's kept until the wedding so I remember where the church is if it's not a town I'm familiar with, after that it goes straight in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

If in 20 years time I'm looking at my wedding invitation and filled with regret and sadness at the wording of it, rather than celebrating a long and happy marriage, I'll know I have lived my life wrong :pac:

Less of the personal attacks please.
    And for the last time I'm not getting married.

And on the invites. If I was getting married I wouldn't be keeping them. Just more clutter taking up space. I don't keep anyone else's invites either, it's kept until the wedding so I remember where the church is if it's not a town I'm familiar with, after that it goes straight in the bin.

It's not a personal attack. I'm talking about "You" in the general sense, as in "people".

If in 20 years time I'm looking at my wedding invitation and filled with regret and sadness at the wording of it, rather than celebrating a long and happy marriage, I'll know I have lived my life wrong :pac:

Well that's just it.

If you're worrying before, or mad after, about a few pics on the internet wouldn't you be better off celebrating this happy and wonderful time.

???

Oh come on!!!!!

Perspective!

Its incredibly rich for you to talk about perspective after saying you would resent someone for asking you not to put their picture on facebook on their wedding day.

RESENT THEM !!

Come on !

Perspective!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Well that's just it.

If you're worrying before, or mad after, about a few pics on the internet wouldn't you be better off celebrating this happy and wonderful time.

But being mad about being asked not to do it is totally reasonable. Gotcha.

ronjo wrote: »
    Its incredibly rich for you to talk about perspective after saying you would resent someone for asking you not to put their picture on facebook on their wedding day.

RESENT THEM !!

Come on !

Perspective!

It'd be handy if you used the quote button when quoting someone because I never said id RESENT THEM. I said I would resent that they asked me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Well that's just it.

That would be nice. But having been bullied through facebook photos in the past, as well as having general image issues about myself, I just don't like a lot of photos of me being online and can pretty easily control that.

If I do make this request I can only hope my guests are more easy going than me and not let it upset them so much.:)

It'd be handy if you used the quote button when quoting someone because I never said id RESENT THEM. I said I would resent that they asked me that.

Apologies for that......I will rephrase

RESENT BEING ASKED !!!!!!

COME ON !!!

PERSPECTIVE !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well that's just it.

A friend of mine gave specific request for no one post photos of him. He became a GM of a company just before recession struck and when it did they got burned for millions by different builders and got into trouble themselves. He was in work at 7 in the morning and home at ten at night. He was throwing up daily from stress and yet if some idiot would make photos of his birthday party public all people would see is someone drunk and enjoying himselfs. So yeah, people have loads of reasons to be "precious" about photos and maybe a bit perspective is needed to understand that you are not the centre of everybody's universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Wedding chats really do bring out the worst in people....

Way I see it is, each to their own, if my wedding guests aren't happy with my request to not plaster MY wedding pics all over the social media drivel that is Facebook, then they don't have to come to my wedding. It's as simple as that. Respect the wishes of the B&G. I think it would be more cheeky to request money instead of gifts! Fair enough if they want to post pics of themselves and other guests - fine. Just not of me and hubby to be. Facebook is 100% not my thing and I shouldn't have to be worrying about that sort of crap on my wedding day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

So they are not allowed privacy? I can't believe your need to publish photos on your social media sites is more important than your friends wishes.

So why would you put them up if it's not for the wedding party to enjoy? Are you one of these people who needs to put every event up on Facebook to make yourself feel better / popular/ busy? That's the only explanation.

Anyway you are not listening to any logic. Adios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A friend whose wedding I attended had asked that no wedding photos of her be uploaded publicly, and I heard lots of grumbling 'who does she think she is' about it. Most people knew the reason for this, she'd had a hard time with an online stalker type for a few years, and as a result had no identifiable pics of herself up on FB as well as a modified version of her name. She had a very real reason not to want all and sundry tagging and uploading pics of her but still had lots of snide 'saving the pics for Hello magazine' type comments about it.

I just don't get how people can get annoyed about being asked not to do this? I honestly think the people who get most put out are the ones living their lives though FB, and are miffed that now they won't get to be 'first' to upload pics. It doesn't impact the guests at all :confused:

BTW I didn't give a fiddler's what was uploaded to Facebook on my wedding day, I loved looking through them until the official photos arrived. It doesn't mean that everyone will feel the same way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Dolbert wrote: »
    A friend whose wedding I attended had asked that no wedding photos of her be uploaded publicly, and I heard lots of grumbling 'who does she think she is' about it. Most people knew the reason for this, she'd had a hard time with an online stalker type for a few years, and as a result had no identifiable pics of herself up on FB as well as a modified version of her name. She had a very real reason not to want all and sundry tagging and uploading pics of her but still had lots of snide 'saving the pics for Hello magazine' type comments about it.

I just don't get how people can get annoyed about being asked not to do this? I honestly think the people who get most put out are the ones living their lives though FB, and are miffed that now they won't get to be 'first' to upload pics. It doesn't impact the guests at all :confused:

BTW I didn't give a fiddler's what was uploaded to Facebook on my wedding day, I loved looking through them until the official photos arrived. It doesn't mean that everyone will feel the same way!

Interesting story but what about people who don't have a story like that and simply don't want photos from a private day up on internet? People who don't have a story like that? I just don't like social media and I would rather people didn't put up photos from a private,family day really.

Ummmmmm....

• Advertisement

Interesting story but what about people who don't have a story like that and simply don't want photos from a private day up on internet? People who don't have a story like that? I just don't like social media and I would rather people didn't put up photos from a private,family day really.

Ummmmmm....

I would say the same courtesy should be afforded to them. Whatever their reasons, I don't see why people are put out that they would be asked to respect someone's privacy.

Advertisement