Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding invitation - "no posting of pic's on social media site's"

Options
  • 30-07-2014 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭

got a wedding invite the other day and on the back is printed : "x & y request kindly for guests to refrain from posting wedding pic's on social media site's"
    not seen this before - is this a common thing now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

yes. I've heard of Photos of the Bride walking down the aisle being put on facebook before the ceremony is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It's a good idea and fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

This should be on every invite. People are spending all their time taking and uploading pictures instead of just enjoying the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭sporina

i'm confused as to why they have done this - i mean i know the bride to be well - she is never off facebook - scrolling like crazy through pic's and commenting on them..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

sporina wrote: »
    i'm confused as to why they have done this - i mean i know the bride to be well - she is never off facebook - scrolling like crazy through pic's and commenting on them..

..because she wants to post them first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I suppose she wants a bit of control over what images of her go online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I hadn't heard of that before, but if I do ever decide to get married, it's going on my invitations too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

I forgot to put it on our invitations but we've already asked the celebrant to request all phone/ipads are switched off during the ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Probably because she doesn't want the whole nation seeing her wedding. I had this happen to me - a guest took over 200 photos of our whole wedding day and put them all up on facebook. The same guest has nearly 1500 facebook friends and after the wedding, my parents had people coming up to them saying they had seen the wedding photos. They said all nice things about the photos but that wasn't the point. It wasn't a nice feeling.

I then asked said guest to please take them down and they did. It really felt like an invasion of privacy tbh. I wouldn't mind friends of mine adding photos when they sort out the privacy settings on it, but some people add total randomers as friends who then see every bloody photo they upload!

yeah i think in one way, fair play to her - and in another i think its a little hypocritical giving that she is always gossiping about people etc…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It could also be a problem for some guests. If you are in sensitive job you don't want some idiot posting a pic of you a bit red in a face with a big glass of drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

I agree with the sentiment, but wouldn't put it on invites. I would just have a word with the likely offenders and set my profile so that I couldn't be tagged in anything.
    I like to think people would have more cop on, but that's just the way things are....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Just wanna chip in with another perfectly good reason to ask this- so as not to offend those who may not have been invited. One person put up pics on Fb of our wedding, it wasn't a huge deal really BUT we have a lot of friends in common and unfortunately due to space and relatives taking ages to get back to us with RSVPs, there were a couple of mates living abroad that I'd love to have invited but it wasa bit late to ask as flights etc were mad expensive. I got a lovely message from one of the friends wishing us all the best but I was a bit mortified about them seeing pics of a bunch of people they know having the craic at my wedding.

A relative of mine got upset at certain people declining to attend their wedding a few years back and insisted no one put up pics. Maybe a little immature of them but you can kinda see their point re:nosy people who couldn't /wouldnt go having a look and passing comment among themselves.

yes i can see logic in a lot of those replies - especially the work related one…

but as she is on FB and always posting pic's I guess people would assume that she has no problem with pic's and then wondering why she has put that on the invites…

i think a lot of people are already thinking bad of her…

in any event, another crux of social media

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

yes i can see logic in a lot of those replies - especially the work related one…

but as she is on FB and always posting pic's I guess people would assume that she has no problem with pic's and then wondering why she has put that on the invites…

why would they think bad of her? She might be a bit more laid back about posting casual photos but give her a break, its her wedding day, can you blame her for wanting to have a bit more control than normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It's a sad reflection on peoples manners that this needs to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

MsBubbles wrote: »
    I forgot to put it on our invitations but we've already asked the celebrant to request all phone/ipads are switched off during the ceremony

I wouldn't invite the kind of person that would bring an ipad to a wedding in the first place to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

That is a fair point if she's always putting up pics,but as long as she only puts her own stuff up and doesn't put up pics of other people's weddings/kids/etc then she's entitled to request this.maybe the groom is more private, its not all about the bride either.

BTW I've no prob with folk putting up pics of themselves as wedding guests, just like any night out, but its the putting up pics while the ceremony is still on that irritates most couples. I should also say I was delighted to get any photos of our day once it was all over, so there's a fine line to tread between 'banning' social media and encouraging guests to share photos with you after. Apps are great for this IMO

anyone else and i would totally pat them on the back for this - but though she is a friend as such - she is a facebook slut… for want of a word… and v nosey and gossipy.. but i'll oblige… i don't care either way,.. was just wondering how common it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

anyone else and i would totally pat them on the back for this - but though she is a friend as such - she is a facebook slut… for want of a word… and v nosey and gossipy.. but i'll oblige… i don't care either way,.. was just wondering how common it is

What is "a friend as such"? If she's a v nosey gossipy Facebook slut then why on earth would you want to go to her wedding? Is it going to be a total torment for you to restrain yourself from taking pictures? I'm astonished at your reaction to a really harmless understandable request.
    Are some people completely addicted to social media to the extent where any activity is ruined if it can't be documented instantly for public consumption? A couple ask for a small bit of privacy on a massive day for them and grown adults react as if they've been asked to sacrifice their first born. Its crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes that is exactly it. There are pictures of me at parties in my late teens and early twenties that I am so glad there was no fb around then. Nothing special but I wouldn't like to see them online. I know that the couple were probably thinking of themselves requesting this but I don't post pictures of my family or myself so I would prefer that nobody else does it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I was due my third baby in August 2011. I warned my family members that nothing was to be posted on social media, particularly Facebook, until DH or I gave the go ahead.

There were certain people we wanted to speak directly to tell them our good news. We didn't want every Joe Soap who is a friend of a friend of a friend knowing when the baby arrived before one of our good friends or a relative who isn't on FB. The last thing we wanted was one of them hearing it like that.

I totally agree with what that invite. I hope the guest respect the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Presumably the bride and groom are paying a photographer who can get much better photos than guests on their phones anyway, so might just want to use those.

Good article here on how snap happy guests can ruin the professional photos!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3331528/

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

We are putting a small note at the beginning of the mass booklet kindly asking people to refrain from posting pictures of the ceremony/bridal party. But I set up a wedding pictures app so I can send an invite to all my friends (through Facebook!) So they can share their photos that way. At least then we have some semblance of privacy. I don't want to come across as fussy but it's a special day to be shared with friends and family, not the rest of the country!

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    What is "a friend as such"? If she's a v nosey gossipy Facebook slut then why on earth would you want to go to her wedding? Is it going to be a total torment for you to restrain yourself from taking pictures? I'm astonished at your reaction to a really harmless understandable request.
    Are some people completely addicted to social media to the extent where any activity is ruined if it can't be documented instantly for public consumption? A couple ask for a small bit of privacy on a massive day for them and grown adults react as if they've been asked to sacrifice their first born. Its crazy.

she asked us - and btw I should clarity - i do not even have a smart phone so it's actually not applicable to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

she asked us - and btw I should clarity - i do not even have a smart phone so it's actually not applicable to me..

Of course it's applicable to you. You mightn't be able to upload the photo before the bride has reached the top of the aisle, but there's nothing to stop you taking photos with a digital camera and uploading them to FB the following day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If I disliked someone as intensely as you obviously dislike this girl I definitely wouldn't be bothered going to their wedding. Its an invite, not a summons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

lazygal wrote: »
    This should be on every invite. People are spending all their time taking and uploading pictures instead of just enjoying the event.

I know, right?

I attended a surprise 60th birthday party a while back. Great night, but it was so bizarre that when the lady of the hour's entrance was imminent, her three children were hiding behind their iPhone and digital cameras.

My BF and I were both like "No, you take a pic, I want to enjoy the entrance" then we both said "OK, let's neither of us take a photo or video and just enjoy experiencing the moment". That seems to have been lost to some extent. People are obsessed with documenting events rather than living them. One person taking photos or videoing should suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Yep, after my friend's wedding in 2009, I asked her permission before putting wedding pics on FB. I can't imagine not asking permission!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

got a wedding invite the other day and on the back is printed : "x & y request kindly for guests to refrain from posting wedding pic's on social media site's"
    not seen this before - is this a common thing now?

To be honest, I'd be rolling my eyes up more at your friend's spelling on an invite than I would on their request!

There was a long debate on this a short while ago, and lots of divided opinions. I think it is a bit diva like, and in this case, slightly hypocritical, but as other posters pointed out, it's a sad reflection on people that it has to be pointed out!

It looks as though you are trying to find issue with this girl though, and in that case, she was bound to do something wrong!

I betcha anything though, in the few days after the wedding, she'll be dying for some photos and will be begging everybody to send them onto her!!

Advertisement