Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel - Palestine Conflict. **Mod note in OP - updated 1st August**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Anyone any thoughts on the US fighter jets that flew over Dublin today? IMO it was very wrong, another case of Ireland kissing america's ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Fiolina wrote: »
    Anyone any thoughts on the US fighter jets that flew over Dublin today? IMO it was very wrong, another case of Ireland kissing america's ass.
    I was there with IPSC handing out BDS literature when that happened and I jumped out of my skin. It made me think how horrible it must be in Gaza when these planes are not just flying over the city but also dropping bombs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Fiolina wrote: »
    I was there with IPSC handing out BDS literature when that happened and I jumped out of my skin. It made me think how horrible it must be in Gaza when these planes are not just flying over the city but also dropping bombs.

Mod

Can we keep this to the Israel-Palestine conflict, there's already a thread here for discussion on the jets. There's also a thread in the Aviation and Aircraft forum, cheers :)

-KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

Idf are as inhumane as hamas.The ira used to give 10 min warnings before expolding bombs in overcrowded cities, now the "brave" idf use the same tactics.But the worst part is that they are proud of killing kids then have the neck to moan about what Hitler didi or didnt do.pot ...kettle......Black

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

Question to all the "Palestine people/supporters" here on boards.ie;

How long should Israel wait this time before having to defend their civilians against totally untargeted/indiscriminate attacks?

If you allow someone to launch a rocket from your back garden or top of your apartment building without any protest - (bearing in mind you voted them into government) should you really be bitching when "the enemy" as according to the people you allow do do these acts/ run your country returns fire on the same position?

Should you not be the person that leaves your home/building - in fear for your lives and reports this activity?

Or should you risk yours and your neighbors/families lives and allow it to continue?

Just wondering what peoples opinions on this are, here on BOARDS.'IE' :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

How long should Israel wait this time before having to defend their civilians against totally untargeted/indiscriminate attacks?
    How long should they wait before withdrawing their troops from this latest attempt at stealing Palestinian land?
    I don't think they should wait at all. They should feck off home right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

If you allow someone to launch a rocket from your back garden or top of your apartment building without any protest - (bearing in mind you voted them into government) should you really be bitching when "the enemy" as according to the people you allow do do these acts/ run your country returns fire on the same position?

Should you not be the person that leaves your home/building - in fear for your lives and reports this activity?

Or should you risk yours and your neighbors/families lives and allow it to continue?

How should the baby lying asleep beside its mother in a un place of safety with no weapons or resistance fighters in the building protect itself from idf terrorist attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It no self defense when you attack the other side first, and have been stealing from them for over 60 years, and have been murdering the other sides civilians (the IDF murdered 2 Palestinian teenagers before the 3 Israeli settler teenagers were kidnapped and murdered) before they launched there indiscriminate rocket attacks.

Now, let me make this clear, indiscriminate attacks on civilians is wrong and there is no excuse.

There is also no excuse for Israels targeted killing of civilians, targeting civilian infrastructure, negotiating with the leadership in the West Bank in bad faith, stealing Palestinian land, and an siege that is directed at every single Man, Woman and child. I would also like to point out that above is either denied (no matter how many facts are given) or excuses are constantly made by a lot of people who support Israel.

So, your using the fact that Palestinian elected Hamas to justify Israel attacks civilians. You know who else pointed that out to justify there attacks on civilians, Osama Bin Laden. I love the logic being used, as its just so easy to point out that fact that such logic can easily be used to justify attacks in the opposite direction, seeing as the Israeli's elect there government.

Now, IMHO, I reject that logic, and it morally reprehensible, and is used solely used to justify attacks on civilians. IMHO, its completely unacceptable to use who people voted for to any way suggest that they deserve attacks on them. Bringing it up in this context is essentially doing that. I don't care what group its directed against, be it Palestinians, Israelis, Americans or Europeans. It doesn't matter at all, it is an utterly repellant thing to even suggest, and quite frankly anyone using such logic are in some moral camp as Al Qaeda imho.

Also, your example is utter nonsense, again Israel is occupying the Palestinians, stealing there land. murdering them in the West Bank, where Hamas isn't in charge, where the PA actively work with Israel to prevent attacks, and the fact there is a siege on Gaza that targets everyone civilian or militant a like, among other atrocities carried out in the name of a Greater Israel. BTW, to refer back to your own logic (which I will state again, I find to be morally repugnant), Israelis elected there government who do all this crap, and again you own repellant logic can easily be used in the other direction.

The fact is that Palestinians, will have there land stolen, be murdered, and have the various indignities of Israels occupation on them, continue to happen, regardless of whether there violent or not. Its amazing that supporters of Israel will refuse to acknowledge that littler fact, despite the readily available evidence to the contrary. Its not hard to find articles in the world media describing the PA cooperation with Israeli security forces, and despite this cooperation again the fact of the constant land theft, Human Rights violations, and murder visiting on the Palestinians, which again all easy to find, all reported by various outlets the world over.

It doesn't matter, what Palestinians do at this point. Any violence is terrorism, even when its an attack on the IDF. Peaceful protest is also treated as terrorism (and largely ignored in the West). Calls for Boycott, Divestment and sanctions, are also treated as if it was terrorism. Any method of resistance, violent or otherwise, is treated as being completely illegitimate.

The Palestinians are expected to do nothing, while Israel can steal there land, all the while being aided by the hypocritical West, who will condemn Putin for a land grab, and yet support Israel doing the exact same thing.

I look forward to you trying to make this point on every article discussing anything to do with another country........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

What do you think about a state that's been allowed to violate international law for nearly 50 years? Why are you surprised people launch rockets at them?

Self Defense indeed :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Let me ask you. I am bringing this conflict down to simple, personal terms.

If I show up at your house tomorrow with a group of people and tell you that they claim to have a link to your land, so it has been decided to give them your back garden, your garage, your kitchen, hall, and dining room and the upstairs toilet, leaving you with the upstairs bedrooms, the down stairs toilet and the sitting room, the stairs will be shared. Would you have an issue with this if you were given a vote?

If yes: Then why are people surprised that the indigenous people of historic Palestine rejected the UN/UK proposal back in the 1940's giving away over 50% of the land for a Jewish state?

IF No: Great. You have more restraint than I and I suspect most would have.

So now lets move forward a bit. These new people one day beat you and your family up and evict you from the sitting room and the downstairs toilet and call the stairs a buffer zone, which you cannot use. They move some of their friends and extended family into the house to take up the space they have taken from you. You now need a permit to leave the house and have to apply for permission to use the toilets or bathing facilities. You have no direct access to food or means to cook it. The people occupying your house will provide you just enough food to survive. They will control which items you can have and which are to be denied to you and your family. This is now your life. This is all your children and your children's children have to look forward to.

Do you have a problem with this? Are you driven to despair? to resist? to fight back? To find some way to sneak out of the house (tunnels) to get items to make your life and that of your family a little more bearable? And yes, maybe items which can be used as weapons against the people occupying your home and making your life and that of your family miserable.

If yes: Then why don't the Palestinians have the same right to resist. How are they Terrorists? Why the condemnation of the Palestinians for building tunnels? Tunnels have been used in sieges throughout history.

If no: Wow. Serious respect. I could not show this restraint and I would be surprised if many could. So do you consider just giving up your home, what possessions you have left and all you have worked for and you and your family becoming homeless?

So imagine that you choose to resist, to fight back. You run down the stairs to attack the people occupying your home. However all you have as a weapon is a sling fashioned from a tee shirt and some tennis balls. You are beaten back with force and then the occupiers rush up the stairs and beat up all your family, killing one of them and break up all the beds and furniture you have, burn most of your families clothes. take away all the bed linen except for a few blankets.

Are you feeling desperate yet? Might you be driven to appeal to some vigilante group for help to fight for your and your families right to live a decent life?

If yes: So can you not see that the Palestinians turned to Hamas in desperation?

Fatah are working with the Israeli's supposedly for peace and yet the illegal settlements continue to grow in the West Bank. Children in the West Bank are still dragged out of their beds in the middle of the night by the ITF (T=Terrorist) and arrested for throwing stones. Children in the West Bank have to run the gauntlet of rubber bullets (ball bearings, the size of a grown mans thumb with a light covering of rubber) and tear gas just to get to/from school. There are roads and areas in the West Bank which are "Israeli Only" << THIS IS APARTHEID!!!!

If no: Ok, so you see the actions of the occupiers as self defense do you? You are officially a saint, or the second coming of the messiah. I don't believe that there are many in this world who could live under such conditions, seeing no end to it for them, their children and their children's children and not fight back. I know I could not.

So as silly as the above seems, now imagine this type of scenario on a national scale. Can you name any other country who would agree and continue to live peacefully under the conditions the Palestinians are forced to live under and who would offer no resistance?

I in no way condone the firing of rockets from Gaza into Israel as it is possible that civilians could get hurt. But I fully support Hamas's right to exist and resist against the zionist, racist, apartheid, occupation force which is the Israeli state. The state of Israel was built with the terrorist actions of groups like Irgun, Haganah, Stern Gang, who used violence and ethnic cleansing to remove indigenous people from their homes to give to European Jews, fleeing persecution and to build the Jewish state.

Also IMHO, to call the Hamas projectiles "Rockets" is to give them more credit that they deserve. They are home made using fertiliser as explosives and those that get through the Iron Dome and don't fall in open ground seem to cause little enough damage. I have looked for photos of the damage and have seen pot holes in roads, holes in walls or roofs of homes, garages, damaged cars in garages etc. They don't even explode fully on impact. They are more akin to crude cannon balls. Now I admit that I would not like to live with the threat of these projectiles hitting my house and possibly injuring/killing my loved ones, but to call them rockets.... ?

I know there have been people killed as a result of these "rockets" fired by Hamas and I in no way condone this. It is a reprehensible act to endanger civilian lives. However these "rockets" are fired as you say INDISCRIMINATELY. Unlike those of the Israeli army and air force who specifically target civilian homes, infrastructure and UN locations where they have been informed on numerous occasions that Palestinian civilians, who have been displaced by the Israeli warning of impending attack, are sheltering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWCdhC8B9YQ#t=727

http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=724426

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭adrag

First of all gaza isn't isreal's back garden, isreal is Palistine's front garden.So when the ira plants a bomb its the innocent people's fault for not evacuating fast enough.im not anti jew, im anti-bully/isreali

And the IDF apologists will still lie that everything will be hunky dory if those evil terrorists would just stop evilly terroristically defending their country.

It amazing that such a land grab, will not be considered a violation of a ceasefire by supporters of Israel......

wes wrote: »
    It amazing that such a land grab, will not be considered a violation of a ceasefire by supporters of Israel......

You'll find that the 'ceasefire' will refer to Gaza only. After the last one they went after Hamas operatives in the West Bank, just to get a dig in. Classy folk that way. They like rubbing noses in the dirt.

Nodin wrote: »
    You'll find that the 'ceasefire' will refer to Gaza only.
    After the last one they went after Hamas operatives in the West Bank, just to get a dig in. Classy folk that way. They like rubbing noses in the dirt.

Oh, I know it will only refer to Gaza. I am just pointing out that a lot of people seem to think that Hamas violated the last ceasefire, because of what the kidnap and murder of the 3 Israeli settler teenagers (whether they did it or not). So, I think it only fair to consider going forward any land grabs by Israel in the West Bank in a similar light imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

I'm only coming in here for the lol's at this stage. The pro IDF haven't a leg to stand on! Their rabbiting on from the Hasbara handbook only proves that they will swallow whatever they are told without researching themselves. I suppose with the Palestinians being Muslim they're "easy" to criticise until they're faced with facts that is!

wes wrote: »
    Oh, I know it will only refer to Gaza. I am just pointing out that a lot of people seem to think that Hamas violated the last ceasefire, because of what the kidnap and murder of the 3 Israeli settler teenagers (whether they did it or not). So, I think it only fair to consider going forward any land grabs by Israel in the West Bank in a similar light imho.

Fair eh? Ye must be one of them militants.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

I in no way condone the firing of rockets from Gaza into Israel as it is possible that civilians could get hurt. But I fully support Hamas's right to exist and resist against the zionist, racist, apartheid, occupation force which is the Israeli state. The state of Israel was built with the terrorist actions of groups like Irgun, Haganah, Stern Gang, who used violence and ethnic cleansing to remove indigenous people from their homes to give to European Jews, fleeing persecution and to build the Jewish state.

Out of interest, what is your ideal 'end scenario' for the region? Removal of all settlers from the West Bank and Gaza? Removal of all Israelis from the UN-Palestine partition? Removal of all Israelis from Israel full stop? Or some other solution that I'm not seeing?

Out of interest, what is your ideal 'end scenario' for the region? Removal of all settlers from the West Bank and Gaza? Removal of all Israelis from the UN-Palestine partition? Removal of all Israelis from Israel full stop? Or some other solution that I'm not seeing?

They moved them out of Gaza and into the West Bank in 2005.

• Advertisement

What my ideal scenario is is irrelevant, I am not Palestinian and have no ties to the land of Historic Palestine. I am simply a supporter of the Palestinian people in their struggle against their occupation and oppression by the zionist, terrorist, racist, apartheid state that is Israel. It is up to the Palestinian people to state what they would accept and continue the struggle until they receive the human rights under international law.

However what I would personally like to see is the removal of all illegal settlers from ALL Palestinian land as per the 1947 map.

The very least the people of Palestine deserve and should accept (IMHO) is going back to the 1967 borders, with all illegal settelers/settlements removed from the west bank. This could happen over a period of time agreed with the Palestinian people/government. The city of Jerusalem to be shared equally and all parties to be allowed visit any area that they hold sacred. Also the Palestinians must be allowed to travel freely and without harassment between Gaza and the West Bank. If they cannot have a contiguous state, then this should be afforded to them without question.

Along with getting some of their land returned to them, the illegal siege and blockade must be lifted. Palestinians are allowed full membership of the UN and be recognised as such and have the right to self determination. They get their full fishing rights, control of their airspace and any and all natural resources.

Israel, the US, the UK and any other country who sold arms/munitions to Israel to make sizable contributions to the rebuilding of Gaza and the Israel and the US to stay the HELL out of Palestinians affairs, unless it is to offer humanitarian aid. There should be NO Israeli soldiers/police holding jurisdiction over any part of Palestine. If the Palestinians can not provide state security straight away, maybe, with the agreement of the Palestinian people/government of course, the UN could help out until the Palestinians can take over the role themselves.

Finally all illegally held Palestinian's to be freed from Israeli prisons.

This should allow the Palestinian people to live in peace with dignity and for the younger generation to have a future other then joining the resistance and continuing the struggle against the occupying zionist, terrorist, racist, apartheid state that is Israel.

So I have answered your question, how about you provide your ideal end scenario now?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

You do realise that this notion you are putting forward as a ludicrous solution is EXACTLY what The Israelis have been doing to The Palestinians all these years?

You do realise that this notion you are putting forward as a ludicrous solution is EXACTLY what The Israelis have been doing to The Palestinians all these years?

I wasn't aware that Israel had managed to remove the bulk of the Palestinian population from the occupied territories, nor was I aware for that matter that the Israeli government had made its sworn objective the removal of all Palestinians from those lands - don't get me wrong, you will find political parties that argue for something like that, but their hardly a majority. What's been going on 'all these years' has been in my view a policy of displacement, with targeted colonization as well as a reduction in quality of life for the Palestinian population, with a view towards encouraging their emigration. As awful as this is, I refuse to categorise it as some people have here, as genocide, nor does it fit our traditional model of what ethnic cleansing it. I don't think its coneding too much to suggest that what Israel is doing might be rather unprecedented.
    What my ideal scenario is is irrelevant, I am not Palestinian and have no ties to the land of Historic Palestine. I am simply a supporter of the Palestinian people in their struggle against their occupation and oppression by the zionist, terrorist, racist, apartheid state that is Israel. It is up to the Palestinian people to state what they would accept and continue the struggle until they receive the human rights under international law.

However what I would personally like to see is the removal of all illegal settlers from ALL Palestinian land as per the 1947 map.

The very least the people of Palestine deserve and should accept (IMHO) is going back to the 1967 borders, with all illegal settelers/settlements removed from the west bank. This could happen over a period of time agreed with the Palestinian people/government. The city of Jerusalem to be shared equally and all parties to be allowed visit any area that they hold sacred. Also the Palestinians must be allowed to travel freely and without harassment between Gaza and the West Bank. If they cannot have a contiguous state, then this should be afforded to them without question.

Along with getting some of their land returned to them, the illegal siege and blockade must be lifted. Palestinians are allowed full membership of the UN and be recognised as such and have the right to self determination. They get their full fishing rights, control of their airspace and any and all natural resources.

Israel, the US, the UK and any other country who sold arms/munitions to Israel to make sizable contributions to the rebuilding of Gaza and the Israel and the US to stay the HELL out of Palestinians affairs, unless it is to offer humanitarian aid. There should be NO Israeli soldiers/police holding jurisdiction over any part of Palestine. If the Palestinians can not provide state security straight away, maybe, with the agreement of the Palestinian people/government of course, the UN could help out until the Palestinians can take over the role themselves.

Finally all illegally held Palestinian's to be freed from Israeli prisons.

This should allow the Palestinian people to live in peace with dignity and for the younger generation to have a future other then joining the resistance and continuing the struggle against the occupying zionist, terrorist, racist, apartheid state that is Israel.

So I have answered your question, how about you provide your ideal end scenario now?

I'll detail my own proposed solution again shortly, but I should first just point out a few problems that appear with yours. Firstly on the matter of simply returning to the borders of 1967 - a complete withdrawal of all settlers and settlements from Israel back to its own state would require the relocation of some 534,000 Israelis. Now I noted you didn't mention the 'right of return' which you might well be commended for, because that would involve another 5,000,000 refugees from across the Middle East potentially being allowed into Israel, with obvious implications on ethnic tension and quality of life. Moreover, such a relocation would also require the vacation of parts of the West Bank which are now predominately Jewish and have been for quite a while, I mean East Jerusalem (that's just the Palestinian part) alone is about half Israeli, to say nothing of the portion of the Arab population which would prefer to live under Israeli rule (about 44% if I recall correctly).

All of this is to say nothing of the difficulty of actually trying to convince a population under occasional rocket fire and terrorist threat, that they should withdraw from their homes (illegal I know) and hand over security interests to a nation that they loathe and loathes them right back, under the ostensibly aim of putting an end to violence. This is actually where I think most posters and I would differ, I don't believe that is possible to simply compel the Israeli population to accept a settlement it doesn't like, we're talking about a nation raised on the mythology of 'never again' and an increasingly influential segment of the population with hard-line religious views. Oh and Nukes.

My own view would be the best solution to the conflict being a population and territorial transfer - East Jerusalem and the Seam Line to Israel, the surroundings of the Gaza Strip and territory along the Dead Sea to Palestine. Withdrawal of settlers beyond these lines and grant Palestinians living their the choice of Israeli or Palestinian citizenship. I've not really bought the Israeli argument that the Jordan Valley is some vital Maginot Line that MUST be held, so clearing that area of Israeli security opens up a lot of land for commercial use. Then all that needs to be done is convincing both sides to stick to the borders and not use them as a tennis net for a game of ordnance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I wasn't aware that Israel had managed to remove the bulk of the Palestinian population from the occupied territories, nor was I aware for that matter that the Israeli government had made its sworn objective the removal of all Palestinians from those lands - don't get me wrong, you will find political parties that argue for something like that, but their hardly a majority. What's been going on 'all these years' has been in my view a policy of displacement, with targeted colonization as well as a reduction in quality of life for the Palestinian population, with a view towards encouraging their emigration. As awful as this is, I refuse to categorise it as some people have here, as genocide, nor does it fit our traditional model of what ethnic cleansing it. I don't think its coneding too much to suggest that what Israel is doing might be rather unprecedented.

This traditional model you speak of could be interpreted as being subjective and pursuant to what is recognised by the majority of legal authorities throughout the world for the purpose of giving it legal credibility. though down through the ages there have been various definitions and interpretations of the world be they scholarly or legal, a couple of examples...

Raphael Lemkin a Polish lawyer of Jewish descent..

Generally speaking, genocide does not necessarily mean the immediate destruction of a nation, except when accomplished by mass killings of all members of a nation. It is intended rather to signify a coordinated plan of different actions aiming at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. The objectives of such a plan would be disintegration of the political and social institutions, of culture, language, national feelings, religion, and the economic existence of national groups, and the destruction of the personal security, liberty, health, dignity, and even the lives of the individuals belonging to such groups . . ..

Rome Statute of the international criminal court...

Article 6 of the Rome Statute provides that ‘genocide’ means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such (a) Killing members of the group; (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; (c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

those are but two examples though there are many more.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide_definitions

Such as the UN definition which reads:

'Any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life, calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group. (Article 2 CPPCG)'

Now technically speaking this could be interpreted as the murder of two people from the same ethnic group being an act of genocide. More recent cases have suggested that a measure of significant is required:

'The aim of the Genocide Convention is to prevent the intentional destruction of entire human groups, and the part targeted must be significant enough to have an impact on the group as a whole.'

Now many of these debates may well be academic - 200,000 people have been killed in Syria, is this any more or less objectionable than 200,000 people being killed purely on the grounds of their language for example? I believe current estimates of refugees from that same conflict reach about 3 million, should this be regarded as in some ways more or less outrageous than say the flight of 3 million Germans from Czechoslovakia after WW2? Naturally enough these are not questions with simple answers, but I think if you put this case in the context of other genocides in recent years, a pretty straightforward conclusion comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

actually no. no a straightforward conclusion does not come to mind. it is anything but straightforward. lets leave other situations and nations to one side, in this instance we are talking about Israel and the Palestinians.

What the Israelis are inflicting upon the Palestinian population in my opinion is a form of incremental genocide. there are two elements to genocide - mental and physical. you dont need to kill all of them all you need to have is the mental intent to terrorise, kill some of them and inflict misery and suffering (collective punishment?) upon them, thats the mental intent. the physical intent is quite obvious that would be killing people, destroying property and lives, expulsion of people and stealing of land, maiming and injuring people, inflicting psychological trauma, enforcing incredibly awful conditions of life that lead to suffering and death, infringement of freedom and dignity so on so forth..

If the Israelis ever end up in the dock of the ICC, brighter people than me would define what they are doing for what it is, prosecute them properly and nail those responsible for their atrocities to the wall. in my opinion what it is incremental genocide presided over by an apartheid regime.

I'll detail my own proposed solution again shortly, but I should first just point out a few problems that appear with yours. Firstly on the matter of simply returning to the borders of 1967 - a complete withdrawal of all settlers and settlements from Israel back to its own state would require the relocation of some 534,000 Israelis. Now I noted you didn't mention the 'right of return' which you might well be commended for, because that would involve another 5,000,000 refugees from across the Middle East potentially being allowed into Israel, with obvious implications on ethnic tension and quality of life.
    Maybe, just maybe, if Israel hadn't expelled them in the first place those refugees wouldn't feel so bad about it? So you're basically discounting the right of return as EVER being appropriate. a.k.a. you support land grabs and population transfer.
    Who would have guessed you fully support Zionist expansionism?

Now many of these debates may well be academic - 200,000 people have been killed in Syria, is this any more or less objectionable than 200,000 people being killed purely on the grounds of their language for example?
    There's been at least 200,000 cases of whataboutery so far on this thread too. All from the pro-Zionist expansion side naturally. Something bad happened somewhere sometime so yes, it IS OK to bomb sleeping babies... am I doing it right?

WakeUp wrote: »
    What the Israelis are inflicting upon the Palestinian population in my opinion is a form of incremental genocide. there are two elements to genocide - mental and physical. you dont need to kill all of them all you need to have is the mental intent to terrorise, kill some of them and inflict misery and suffering (collective punishment?) upon them, thats the mental intent. the physical intent is quite obvious that would be killing people, destroying property and lives, expulsion of people and stealing of land, maiming and injuring people, inflicting psychological trauma, enforcing incredibly awful conditions of life that lead to suffering and death, infringement of freedom and dignity so on so forth..

Which is all well and good except there is no charge for incremental genocide, you're either slaughtering people en masse or not. Now whilst I would agree with most of what you say on what Israel is doing, I wouldn't classify it as genocide or genocide lite, but something demanding a new categorization due to its pretty unprecedented nature.
    If the Israelis ever end up in the dock of the ICC, brighter people than me would define what they are doing for what it is, prosecute them properly and nail those responsible for their atrocities to the wall. in my opinion what it is incremental genocide presided over by an apartheid regime.

The Laconic response to that would of course be 'IF'. Something tells me Israel is about as inclined to hand over its citizens for international judgement as Russia is, especially whilst the conflict is ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The state of Israel has had a court ruling against them and a retired army general Amos Yaron of war crimes and genocide in a war crimes tribunal in Malaysia.
    The first charge against Amos Yaron for War Crimes, Crimes Against Humanity, and Genocide is as follows:

The defendant Amos Yaron perpetrated War Crimes, Crimes Against Humanity, and Genocide in his capacity as the Commanding Israeli General in military control of the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps in Israeli occupied Lebanon in September of 1982 when he knowingly facilitated and permitted the large-scale Massacre of the Residents of those two camps in violation of the Hague Regulations on Land Warfare of 1907; the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949; the 1948 Genocide Convention; the Nuremberg Charter (1945), the Nuremberg Judgment (1946), and the Nuremberg Principles (1950); customary international law, ‘jus cogens’, the Laws of War, and International Humanitarian Law.

The other charge, which is against the State of Israel for the Crime of Genocide and War Crimes, is as follows:

From 1948 and continuing to date, the State of Israel (hereafter ‘the Defendant’) carried out against the Palestinian people a series of acts namely killing, causing serious bodily harm and deliberately inflicting conditions of life calculated to bring about physical destruction.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/state-of-israel-charged-for-crime-of-genocide-and-war-crimes-kuala-lumpur-tribunal/5346375

Lovely people them zionists are, everyone should protect them at all costs :rolleyes:

Advertisement