Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags jailed for attacking tourists

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

You've done your leaving cert though, right?

So the judge won't see you as disadvantaged.

Ah sh*t :( I'll come up with something :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I blame we as a society. The 52% marginal tax on workers wages needs to be at least 80% or this will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

cloud493 wrote: »
    Its ridiculous to suggest they should be shot or hanged or chained together, obviously. But there does need to be harsher sentences, more gardai, more resources to the gardai that are already there, with more power given to them, more deterrents, and maybe just letting that kind of person know that sort of stuff isn't acceptable. The more they 'get away with it' relatively, the more they'll try. Give an inch take a mile etc.

The Gardai won't be given any resource to deal with anything will they though?
    The country is a mess from top to bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No probably not, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Heard on radio today that 83% of all attacks on tourists in Ireland took place in Dublin City Centre. Says a lot about how we have let the city centre deteriorate so much in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...which is why slavery as an institution has died out in the Western world.
    The amount of cajoling, training, developing etc that would be needed to get a junkie or violent perpetrator to do 12 hrs of effective honest manual labour would make the whole exercise so expensive as to be completely unsustainable.

Which is why we build roads bulidings etc with freely engaged, mechanised and properly financed labour.

A lot of other countries tried slave labour and it required a huge amount of expensive supervision and coercion to get any effective output from it.

Prisons built from slave labour would collapse. How would you test and supervise their effective construction. Putting building hand tools in the hands of violent criminals would be a nightmare to police and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wahesh32

It's a shame this has happened, and that the tourists might have some long term effects from the assault. But the reaction here is kind of weird. I mean, if the tourists had done the same thing in a major city of the US, they would have been shot/killed instead of just beaten.

Ireland is a safe place, so is Dublin. From http ://www .oecdbetterlifeindex. org/countries/ireland/
    (I don't have enough posts to post the URL)
    In Ireland, 2.6% of people reported falling victim to assault over the previous 12 months, less than the OECD average of 3.9%. There is a 1 percentage point difference between men and women in assault rates, at respectively 2.1% and 3.1%.

The homicide rate (the number of murders per 100,000 inhabitants) is a more reliable measure of a country’s safety level because, unlike other crimes, murders are usually always reported to the police. According to the latest OECD data, Ireland’s homicide rate is 0.8, lower than the OECD average of 4.1. In Ireland, the homicide rate for men is 1.4 compared with 0.2 for women.

I'm sure having a slightly higher police presence within the city centre would help, but I don't think the country needs drastic changes. It's expensive to keep someone in prison anyway (I think it's over 65,000 euros a year per inmate). I think Ireland is doing a lot right here. The fact that individual attacks make front page news implies there's not a whole lot to report on.

Advertisement