Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags jailed for attacking tourists

Options
  • 29-07-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Absolute scum............

"Three Dublin men have been sentenced to between three and five years in prison for their part in a vicious city centre attack on two US tourists who had tried to stop a robbery.........

They tried to rob a man who was lying on the ground, but the Russell brothers, who had only arrived in Dublin that day, intervened and were subsequently attacked and left with horrific injuries........

The three convicted men, who each have between eight and 69 previous convictions, including convictions for violent disorder, have never been sent to prison before "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Between 3 and 5 years, absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

**importance alert** **importance alert**
    We have a code Red Underline Bold.
    I repeat we have a code Red Underline Bold!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gluppers

OldGoat wrote: »
    **importance alert** **importance alert**
    We have a code Red Underline Bold.
    I repeat we have a code Red Underline Bold!

It's worth highlighting I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Interesting comments by the judge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

gluppers wrote: »

The three convicted men, who each have between eight and 69 previous convictions, including convictions for violent disorder, have never been sent to prison before "

:cool: giggity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I wonder what is causing young men like this to become so feral and violent? Is it parenting, society, poverty, a cushy welfare system that doesn't ask questions, mental illness, drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Up to 69 convictions and never been sent to prison, sure why wouldn't they assault who they like. Country made it pretty clear they can act like thugs if that suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

And people go to jail on their first offence for avoiding paying their tv license... :rolleyes:

I think I'll become a scumbag, sounds like good craic and it looks like they get away with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I was convicted of doing a 69 last night. Giggity :cool: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a day goes by without some thread in AH about Dublin scumbags getting up to this and that.
    Decent folk of Dublin, please sort your scumbag problem out pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Hallelujah!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

well send them to Galway, to join yours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

One of them from St. Anthonys road in Rialto. Scum of the earth from the southside's premier street, (Stanaway rd in Crumlin isnt much better). Sentence is far too lenient

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Scumbaggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Wow 69 convictions and never served a prison sentence. I think its time we introduced the 3 strikes and your jailed for life rule over here, jam them all into the prisons and let them kill each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Up to 69 convictions and never been sent to prison, sure why wouldn't they assault who they like. Country made it pretty clear they can act like thugs if that suits them.

Yes, how the hell can you have 69 previous convictions and never set foot in a prison? It's probably the only country in the entire developed world where this could happen : in the UK, you're remanded in custody for serious offences even before your trial and before you've been convicted or found not guilty of anything.

The system let those tourists down. Those three scumbags should have been behind bars at the time of the attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Be out in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Collie D wrote: »
    Interesting comments by the judge

VERY...and worth underlining (In RED) !
    The judge said they have been down the well-worn path of the juvenile justice system, which was not capable of dealing with them.

He criticised the system as being inadequately resourced and incapable of dealing with violent young men.

Judge McCartan said they had all previously been given non-custodial sentences including probation, community service, suspended sentences and fines.

He said this issue is a recurring feature of the courts and needs to be considered by the legislature.

Judge McCartan said today was the day they would graduate out of an overly-protective system and go to prison.

You have to feel sympathy for those Tourists,as they come across what is largely an everyday and accepted facet of Dublin City Centre life these days.

Judge Pat McCartan is an old legal hand,and is intimately aware of the extent to which the judicial process is manipulated and contrived to facilitate individuals in accquiring the likes of 69 CONVICTIONS before their mid 20's.

The continuing Dept of Justice and Supreme Court enforced "Policy" of soft-touch and socially complacent Law enforcement has led to the professionally delinquent having little except derision and contempt for The Law,and those whom it applies to.

These lads will be out in jig-time..Pat McCartan knows that,and the appeals process,publicly funded as it will be,is most likely already in gear.....we remain a very odd place indeed Alice,one where the person who physically attacks you and is convicted of same,can be sure that you'll be paying for his keep & comfort,as well as his appeal !!!!

My belief is that multiple convictions (for sure 69 !) for offences relating to violence should disbar an individual from FREE Legal Aid (and much else).

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,759 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

And sure why not. And when they are sent to prison it's Sky tv, Yoda, music lessons,room service

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Note to politicians:

In the next general election, I will vote for whoever proposes to address:

1. The lack of affordable housing in dublin
    2. A justice system which allows stories like in the OP to occur - leniency regarding custodial sentencing, people with 20, 50 , 100 + previous convictions roaming the streets - this is not just and it is not safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

I wonder what is causing young men like this to become so feral and violent? Is it parenting, society, poverty, a cushy welfare system that doesn't ask questions, mental illness, drugs?

Yes.

The absolute primary function of the state is to protect its citizens ( and guests). It is currently failing to do so imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

And sure why not. And when they are sent to prison it's Sky tv, Yoda, music lessons,room service

Don't forget the PS4. Incredible to think that these people have not spent time behind bars. I don't sense any real appetite from the political ranks to deal with these people. Hell, some will tell you that they are victims of society and that has caused them to turn to crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The absolute primary function of the state is to protect its citizens ( and guests). It is currently failing to do so imo.

Indeed....and no shortage of State "Protection" out around Dunsink Lane it seems....http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/armed-gardai-at-scene-as-fight-between-rival-travellers-reignites-this-morning-30465936.html :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Powerful you have become. The dark side I sense in you.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Indeed....and no shortage of State "Protection" out around Dunsink Lane it seems....http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/armed-gardai-at-scene-as-fight-between-rival-travellers-reignites-this-morning-30465936.html :rolleyes:

I dont want swarms of armed gardai running round the city centre, I just want people who have proven themselves incapable of participating in civilised society to be incarcerated for long periods of time. At a certain point it just stops being about rehabilitation and becomes a matter of public safety. An individual's right to liberty does not supercede the public's right not to live in fear. I understand people have tough childhoods and addiction issues, I simply don't care. Plenty of people had hard upbringings or no upbringing but they dont all go round attacking innocent people and causing mayhem and fear. Guys like those in this story are clearly not safe to be out, end of story. Get them the fcuk off the streets and let the citizenry live in peace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

"Three Dublin men have been sentenced to between three and five years in prison for their part in a vicious city centre attack on two US tourists who had tried to stop a robbery.........

They tried to rob a man who was lying on the ground, but the Russell brothers, who had only arrived in Dublin that day, intervened and were subsequently attacked and left with horrific injuries........

DID YOU ORDER A CODE RED?
    I DID THE JOB I..
    DID YOU ORDER A CODE RED
    YOU'RE GODAMM RIGHT I DID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

The three convicted men, who each have between eight and 69 previous convictions, including convictions for violent disorder, have never been sent to prison before..

So what? Just because they have a lot of convictions in no what whatsoever means that they have been guilty of serious crimes such as importing Garlic, not paying fines for not having TV licenses etc. Conjecture on your part as the crimes could quite easily have been just common scumbagery ones, such as assaults, carrying knives, muggings etc etc. Minor fare compared to real evil of depriving the state of money I think you would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

it should be but its not

The primary function of this state is to protect itself from the citizens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So what? Just because they have a lot of convictions in no what whatsoever means that they have been guilty of importing Garlic or not paying their fines for not having a TV licence or something. Conjecture on your part and the crimes could easily have been common scumbagery such as assaults, carrying knives, muggings etc etc. Minor fare compared to real evil of depriving the state of money.

And the all important Knocking random people out on the street.

Thats a classic one amongst these type of ilk.

Advertisement