Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should the next city in Ireland be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Saipanne wrote: »
    How many cities in China have a greater population than Dublin?

A lot but population alone isn't the measure of a city,
    How many cities in China have as many shops, theatres, galleries, restauants, bars etc as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Cant agree. Just looking at your great cities I wouldn't include Rome, Berlin or Sydney as their tiny in comparison to some of the others but that doesn't make them or for that matter Irish cities not cities. Your also using inaccurate census figures as Cork and Belfast have about twice those populations but the official city areas (unchanged in donkeys years) don't in any way reflect the actual urban areas.
    They're the official census figures from 2011. If they're inaccurate, blame the respective government departments. And where do you draw the line where the city ends and the ''greater'' part begins. I'll go with the government definitions, thanks. I still think the towns on this island are too small to be truly considered as cities (cathedrals, universities and ancient charters notwithstanding). Even Dublin and Belfast would be borderline in my opinion. Though, again going by official government definitions they are indeed cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

A lot but population alone isn't the measure of a city,
    How many cities in China have as many shops, theatres, galleries, restauants, bars etc as Dublin.

Dublin has **** all compared to the world's true cities. Just a little town, by comparison.

blueser wrote: »
    They're the official census figures from 2011. If they're inaccurate, blame the respective government departments. And where do you draw the line where the city ends and the ''greater'' part begins. I'll go with the government definitions, thanks. I still think the towns on this island are too small to be truly considered as cities (cathedrals, universities and ancient charters notwithstanding). Even Dublin and Belfast would be borderline in my opinion. Though, again going by official government definitions they are indeed cities.

No need to be touchy, very picky as to which government definitions you accept and don't accept.
    I explained why I feel the figures are wrong. They have been given a deadline to agree to boundary extensions in Cork and a few other parts of Ireland as city councils want them extended to get more rates and to better organize services whilst county ones dont as they would lose so much rates. Have you ever been to Cork? Most of my friends who grew up in Cork city did so in areas that aren't within the official city limits. Corks city limits give it a smaller land area then Galway and even Waterford though its far larger then either and im sure this is true of other urban areas too including Belfast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Mojoloco

I like Dublin, it's a grand city, but the effectively mono city culture and infrastructure dependency that we've developed, encouraged, and fostered for years, is not healthy for Dublin or the rest of the country. As a nation, and supposedly a team, we are only as strong as our weakest regions. But no doubt instead of ever getting that, we'll continue this futile Dublin Vs Ireland false dilemma nonsense ad infinitum.

• Advertisement

Dublin has **** all compared to the world's true cities. Just a little town, by comparison.

Really how many of these have you spent time in?
    Some of the true mega cities by population have far less to see and do then Dublin. If you're in a city like Sao Paulo where the average person doesn't have a lot of disposable income the amount of places available to go for people who do have money isnt that much more then Dublin despite the fact its population is so much bigger. Dublin wont have the same range as a Tokyo or a London but that doesnt mean its not a vibrant city. Sao Paulo has satellite towns as big as Cork but with the nightlife, restaurants and attractions of somewhere of a small Irish town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The largest of the aran islands,bulldoze everything and build lots of flats,failing that athlone.centre of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Sligo people seem to think it is a city already, there is the Sligo City Hotel I believe, can anyone shed any light on that?

Only fools from sligo thinks its a city, it's tiny and theres nothing there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

Waterford should be downgraded to a town. Absolutely nothing in it. Clonmel and Wexford towns are more of a city then Waterford. Kilkenny should be developed more into an actual city.

Really how many of these have you spent time in?
    Some of the true mega cities by population have far less to see and do then Dublin. If you're in a city like Sao Paulo where the average person doesn't have a lot of disposable income the amount of places available to go for people who do have money isnt that much more then Dublin despite the fact its population is so much bigger. Dublin wont have the same range as a Tokyo or a London but that doesnt mean its not a vibrant city. Sao Paulo has satellite towns as big as Cork but with the nightlife, restaurants and attractions of somewhere of a small Irish town.

I lived in London for years. I have visited Berlin, Rome, Barcelona, Warsaw, Vienna, Bangkok, Rio de Janeiro, Kuala Lumpur... I could go on.

I currently live in Dublin. I like it. Not the metropolis the Dubs make it out to be though.

• Advertisement

I lived in London for years. I have visited Berlin, Rome, Barcelona, Warsaw, Vienna, Bangkok, Rio de Janeiro, Kuala Lumpur... I could go on.

I currently live in Dublin. I like it. Not the metropolis the Dubs make it out to be though.

Just because there are other cities that are bigger or better doesn't make it not a city though.Not been to Vienna but wouldnt think theres more going on in KL or Warsaw then Dublin. Though yes some Dubs can be a bit tiresome in attitude to the rest of the country and their view of Dublin but most are grand.

Just because there are other cities that are bigger or better doesn't make it not a city though.Not been to Vienna but wouldnt think theres more going on in KL or Warsaw then Dublin.

Not a metropolis, my man. Not a metropolis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

blueser wrote: »

By the same token, the city of London only has a population of less than 7,400 with the rest
    of the near 8,500,000 inhabitants of greater London living outside the city.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    By the same token, the city of London only has a population of less than 7,400 with the rest
    of the near 8,500,000 inhabitants of greater London living outside the city.
    100% agree; the actual ''City of London'' is predominantly made up of businesses (mainly the financial sector), so actual residents living in houses, flats, apartments etc etc wouldn't be that spectacularly massive. The ''London'' that most peope would recognise as such would go out to places like Islington in the North, Chelsea and Fulham in the West, Greenwich in the South and Stratford in the East.

No need to be touchy, very picky as to which government definitions you accept and don't accept.
    I explained why I feel the figures are wrong. They have been given a deadline to agree to boundary extensions in Cork and a few other parts of Ireland as city councils want them extended to get more rates and to better organize services whilst county ones dont as they would lose so much rates. Have you ever been to Cork? Most of my friends who grew up in Cork city did so in areas that aren't within the official city limits. Corks city limits give it a smaller land area then Galway and even Waterford though its far larger then either and im sure this is true of other urban areas too including Belfast.
    Not being touchy at all. Living in Mayo, those towns/cities/conurbations (choose your own adjective) are massive in comparison to the one horse towns we have down here. And, at the end of the day, what they classify themselves as does not make one bit of difference to my daily humdrum existence. I just find it strange that, especially Cork, can be classed the same as, for instance, NYC, or Beijing, or Cairo, or Mexico City. As you said yourself; no need to be touchy.

Castlebar Celtic are a football club so are Manchester Utd. The fact there are cities much larger then others doesnt make the smaller ones not cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Forget population, it's all about location. The next city should be Longford, it's right smack, bang in the midlands. If it sinks due to the whole county being basically a bog, don't come crying to me.

Castlebar Celtic are a football club so are Manchester Utd. The fact there are cities much larger then others doesnt make the smaller ones not cities.
    We aren't going to agree, even if we argue until Christmas. Therefore, I'll refrain from posting in this thread again as we'll only end up going around in circles and getting nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Bargaintown should merge with power city and become powerbargain megalopolis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Can we level the entire county of Cork and start again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭rosedream

I'm all for trying to bring our existing cities (apart from Dublin) up to a good standard, with decent transport, more job opportunities and improved tourist spots. I mean I could not get over the state of the train station in Waterford City when I travelled there, I expected it to be similar to Connolly Station at least, never mind Heuston.

Dundalk could definitely do with being turned into a city. The place is just too big to be called a town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

zetalambda wrote: »
    You obviously haven't done much international travel. By world standards Belfast doesn't rate as much of a city and Dublin is a small insignificant city. Even by European standards this is the case.
    Size isn't everything. Location, the business landscape, infrastructure, communications etc. all figure. I don't know much about it, but then I'm not claiming to like you are. You list your location as Nicaragua. I don't think that's particularly significant.

wikipedia. Search = Alpha City
    Apparently, Dublin is an Alpha minus.

List of Alpha minus cities:

Korea Seoul
    South Africa Johannesburg
    Argentina Buenos Aires
    Austria Vienna
    United States San Francisco
    Turkey Istanbul
    Indonesia Jakarta
    Switzerland Zürich
    Poland Warsaw
    United States Washington, D.C.
    Australia Melbourne
    India New Delhi
    United States Miami
    Spain Barcelona
    Thailand Bangkok
    United States Boston
    Republic of Ireland Dublin
    Taiwan Taipei
    Germany Munich
    Sweden Stockholm
    Czech Republic Prague
    United States Atlanta
    Bargaintown should merge with power city and become powerbargain megalopolis

haha :)
    rosedream wrote: »
    I'm all for trying to bring our existing cities (apart from Dublin) up to a good standard, with decent transport, more job opportunities and improved tourist spots. I mean I could not get over the state of the train station in Waterford City when I travelled there, I expected it to be similar to Connolly Station at least, never mind Heuston.

Dundalk could definitely do with being turned into a city. The place is just too big to be called a town.

Good shout. I wouldn't mind seeing Dun Laoghhaire become a new financial centre with a skyline - great place for it with nice coastline and harbour there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Dublin surely needs a few more skyscrapers, Belfast beats it for 'semi-skyscraper' status

Obel Tower Belfast* 85 m

The Elysian Cork 81 m

Windsor House Belfast* 80 m
    Belfast City Hospital Belfast* 76 m

Cork County Hall Cork 67 m

Google Docks Dublin 67 m
    Millennium Tower Dublin 63 m

Belfast Hilton Hotel Belfast* 63 m
    The Boat Belfast* 62 m
    BT Riverside Tower Belfast* 61 m
    Divis Tower Belfast* 61 m

Liberty Hall Dublin 59.4 m
    One George's Quay Plaza Dublin 59 m

Crowne Plaza Dundalk 58 m

Riverpoint Limerick 59.2 m
    Clarion Hotel Limerick 57 m

*ni

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Killenaule-Mullinahone, renamed Killahone or Mullinaule:

"And I wouldn’t much care for Sierra Leone,

If I hadn’t seen Killenaule,

And the man that was never in Mullinahone

Shouldn’t say he had travelled at all."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Dublin surely needs a few more skyscrapers, Belfast beats it for 'semi-skyscraper' status

In a postmortem on the recent world-wide economic crash, including the demise of the Celtic Tiger, one wise commentator said that when people get obsessed about the height of buildings you can be sure that their society is heading for trouble. He traced this analysis from the Tower of Babel to that recently erected monstrously tall edifice in Dubai.

Dubai maybe overdid it with the 1km tower, there is an slight element of necessity to it also (housing/office space shortage anyone?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

deadybai wrote: »
    Waterford should be downgraded to a town. Absolutely nothing in it. Clonmel and Wexford towns are more of a city then Waterford. Kilkenny should be developed more into an actual city.

How do you make out that Clonmel and Wexford are more city like than Waterford ?

Waterford as bad as its become still has a larger population than Wexford and Clonmel combined..

Dublin and Belfast are the only two in the country that come close to a major city
    Compared to the likes of other capitals around Europe or even cities in UK , Dublin is minuscule

anything else in Ireland are just large towns

Partly correct, but Dublin matches Leeds in population, which is only superseded by London, Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow population wise in the UK.

With many universities, Int'l Airports, tourism, entertainment opportunities and very high influx of daily commuters, either Belfast or Dublin can beat places like Melbourne, Toronto and Auckland (all very spread out and little in way of rush hours nor traffic jams) for 'feet on the street', energy and partying in general...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

deadybai wrote: »

How do you make out that Clonmel and Wexford are more city like than Waterford ?

Waterford as bad as its become still has a larger population than Wexford and Clonmel combined..

And Waterford was the first and therefore the oldest City in Ireland

You can check Wikipedia if you don't believe me:D

Advertisement