Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should the next city in Ireland be?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Can we level the entire county of Cork and start again?

Madness. Just level the county and leave it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

feargale wrote: »
    In a postmortem on the recent world-wide economic crash, including the demise of the Celtic Tiger, one wise commentator said that when people get obsessed about the height of buildings you can be sure that their society is heading for trouble. He traced this analysis from the Tower of Babel to that recently erected monstrously tall edifice in Dubai.

I'd question the wisdom of any commentator who traces societal behaviours from mythical events.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Castlebar!
    There is only one city in Connaught, we need another.
    Its a natural population not all commuters like Bray, Swords, Naas and all those places.
    Plus it was formerly a city as the capital of The Republic Of Connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Cork just seems to be a load of housing estates and large town in the middle. The same with Galway. I think Tallaght is as much of a City than those 2.

What you describe above is Tallaght down to a tee. Housing estates with a town in the middle. Sounds like you've never been to Cork. The city is more than half the size of Dublin city (page 10) http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011vol1andprofile1/Profile1_Town_and_Country_Entire_doc.pdf and the city center alone has about 20 times the amount of office/residential blocks and shopping space than Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Where do you come up with this definition of a city?

By US standards every small town is a city.
    By French standards "ville" applies to almost everything that isn't a "village"

Same in Spanish etc

Cork's city population is ridiculously tightly defined too. You could include anything up to 399,216 people in its 'greater Cork area'

Seems to me it's just the usual Irish obsession with trying to ensure that Ireland is 'Dublin' and 'Down the Country'

Just kind of sums up the weird little parochial place that we are really.

Most significant cities on the island are Dublin, Belfast, Cork - that's been the case for a very long time which is why those three cities have the title of Lord Mayor. Originally it was so that significant population centres had representatives in the House of Lords via their mayor. They're still the only three centres of population over 190,000 in their core urban areas.

Limerick and Derry are pretty significant too but well under 100k in the core area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Also watch the weird comments that will suggest that Dublin is a kip and that Cork should be irridicated and become incredibly hostile.

Ireland's attitudes towards cities is absolutely bizzare at times.

Also bear in mind that the term city in Ireland is meaningless anyway.

We should have a total reform of local government including probably introducing accountable, directly elected mayors of cities and towns.

Our whole system of local government seems to be about deferring everything to a vague committee system aka the council while passing all day to day management to city/county manager who is just an unelected public servant.

Abolishing town councils was nothing other than removing local democracy. They should have shrunk county councils or abolished and merged them and given towns and villages proper local power.

Instead they did the total opposite - neuter the towns. Big new towns never even got town councils as the system remained unreformed since the 1920s too.

We've a major anti-urban thing in Ireland.. Probably wouldn't want "the townies" having too much autonomy as it might prevent one off housing and scatter development or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Sligo. The jewel of the northwest
    On a school tour in 6th class in primary school (back in 1985), we passed through Sligo, and I always remember seeing a building or door with 'Sligo City Pipe Band' on it. Even at that age, the very young and naive me still thought "Sligo isn't isn't a city!".

What a load of horse shit. And did you see in the article they say the population of Dublin will hit 2.5 million in 5 years time :D Some bunch of clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Sligo people seem to think it is a city already, there is the Sligo City Hotel I believe, can anyone shed any light on that?
    I'm from Sligo and it's a town. The city thing is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I think in the 1960s Shannon was planned to become a city too. It's a horrendous soulless place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

6781 wrote: »
    I'm from Sligo and it's a town. The city thing is ridiculous
    Signposts say city centre as well. It deserves to be, its big enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

D4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

According to the CSO website, the population of Galway city is 18,000 more than Limerick city
    http://www.cso.ie/multiquicktables/quickTables.aspx?id=cna23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Castlebar!
    There is only one city in Connaught, we need another.

I believe Tuam is a city. Got it's charter from some king and has 2 cathedrals - protestant and catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Dublin.

10kms from the centre is farmland.
    Dublin could do with being built into a sustainable city.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I believe Tuam is a city. Got it's charter from some king

King of the travellers doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Dublin.

10kms from the centre is farmland.
    Dublin could do with being built into a sustainable city.

I think there is a farm a lot closer than 10km to the city centre. More like 3 or 4

Edit: Just checked the closest farm that I know of is 3.5km to the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Valentia Island, we could turn it into another Manhattan...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

duchalla wrote: »
    Valentia Island, we could turn it into another Manhattan...

There is a part of Galway city centre which is called Nun's Island. It is surrounded by a canal and a river. That's as near to Manhattan you'll get.

I think there is a farm a lot closer than 10km to the city centre. More like 3 or 4

Edit: Just checked the closest farm that I know of is 3.5km to the city centre

I'm in Rathmines which isn't very far from the city center and there's a piggery on the other side of our back yard. I had to move rooms to the front of the house because the grunting and shrieking which goes all night long was keeping me awake. And the smell of shite especially in the summer time when the weather is hot would knock an elephant out. The weird bastards have goats as well. However, strangely I only ever hear the goats on Sunday mornings. :confused:

Yup because renaming Knock with an even more religious name will have all those liberal, high spending, modern types coming running to move there. What with the total lack of affordable accommodation in spectacular parts of the West of Ireland...

Advertisement