Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should the next city in Ireland be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nowhere.
    "Drogheda City". Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the whole National Spatial Strategy Gateway City thing?

Letterkenny, Sligo, Dundalk and 3 midlands towns joined together were meant to made into cities by with a population of nearly 100,000 for each by 2020, its not going well :P

Ze breeding program will continue unabated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

greenflash wrote: »
    Thanks for backing me up on that.

(Dublin and Belfast are the only two real cities on the island)

Ah, feck it, I got bored lining stuff through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Says the man who nominated Chernobyl Drogheda.

Here's a file photo of the dundalk town service bus on signing-on day:

a.aaa-Cramped-in-a-bus.jpg

City status? Ya reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Seamróg city.
    I like giraffes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Would be better off trying to bring our existing ****ty cities up to actual city standard before making new ones, Waterford is as ****ty as Detroit and as for Kilkenny, the place is like an industrial ghost town with one street of pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I'm all for Dundalk being turned into a city although, 'C'mon the city' hasn't got the same ring to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Waterford or Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Ennis :)

Bigger than Kilkenny by population. A lot of the largest urban centres are too close to other cities, e.g. Swords, Drogheda etc. I think over the next few years the population of Ennis will rise. My conspiracy theories never fail.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Sligo people seem to think it is a city already, there is the Sligo City Hotel I believe, can anyone shed any light on that?
    I can confirm there being a Sligo City Hotel alright, for a gang of us stayed there weekend before last for a stag... and to be fair, it was a good hotel and great night!

From what I remember anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Cark isnt a city, its just a big-ish town
    greenflash wrote: »
    Thanks for backing me up on that.

(Dublin and Belfast are the only two real cities on the island)

I'd agree with you on Cork, but you're forgetting the City we have here in Kerry though:

Currow City: It covers all of 3,376 Hectares if you don't mind! They have their own 5-aside soccer team (see here) ; and , and you can't argue with this guy: look at this!

Now, their is some more geography for you on another City in Ireland :)
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Anything that's artificially' made' into a city or a Newtown always turns out to be a ****hole ,eg , Canberra , Brasilia, Milton Keynes , Shannon , just let nature take its course planners!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mr. G wrote: »
    Ennis :)

Bigger than Kilkenny by population. A lot of the largest urban centres are too close to other cities, e.g. Swords, Drogheda etc. I think over the next few years the population of Ennis will rise. My conspiracy theories never fail.
    I want Ennis to remain a town, Mr. G - anyways the streets are so narrow you can shake hands with people on the other side of the road. It's not called 'the friendliest town in Ireland' for nothing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Tedddy

There is no need for more there is enough as there is. We don't need more, we need bigger cities for more efficient services instead of small towns and one off housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cork just seems to be a load of housing estates and large town in the middle. The same with Galway. I think Tallaght is as much of a City than those 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Here's a file photo of the dundalk town service bus on signing-on day:

a.aaa-Cramped-in-a-bus.jpg

City status? Ya reckon?

AHHHHHHHH HA HA HA,
    it's really a picture of the Drogheda supporters club trying to get away when they seen the Dundalk supporters coming their way lol lol :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Simply frack and flatten the midlands, then build a huge Dubai type city like a phoenix from the dust. also extend cork/kerry out towards the gulf stream for better surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Can we get a list of the 11 cities? And what is meant by Kilkenny not being an "administrative city"?

I've heard lots of different theories over the years as to what makes a city - charter, has a cathedral, population....

Dublin
    Cork
    Limerick
    Galway
    Waterford
    Kilkenny

Belfast
    Derry
    Armagh
    Lisburn
    Newry

(I had to check the last 3 on Wikipedia)

Next city should be Sligo...maybe. Or maybe Athlone - sort the Midlands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Athmullamore City could be formed by joining Athlone, Mullingar and Tullamore together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

^The Midlands Conurbation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Waterford or Kilkenny.

Removing the wedge end of a hurley from one's anus is a delicate and time consuming operation. Thread carefully, Sir.

And yea, Waterford.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Citroen2cv

The midlands needs a city, athlone tullamore or mullingar. Would be central for everyone in the island.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Population size is largely irrelevant. 12 of the US' state capital cities are smaller than Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If the state were ever planning to designate a new city, just from looking at the map, i'd imagine it's be somewhere in the northwest, probably Sligo. (FYI, a few of these areas were "regional gateways" Sligo decided to throw the word "city" on it themselves) Places like Ennis and Drogheda/Dundalk are too close to existing cities anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Calibos wrote: »
    Bray is the 9th largest urban area in Ireland after Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Drogheda, Dundalk and Swords.
    It has nothing that would make it a city. It's not even a real town, more a massive housing estate with a few shops in it.

And I say that as a Brayhead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Carlow?

....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tallaght - 75,000 +

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Dún Laoghaire, we've always had our own council anyway

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Donegal just to stop then whining about being the 'forgotten' county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Donegal just to stop then whining about being the 'forgotten' county.

The whole county or the town? :P

Well Donegal has like the 7th largest populaton in the state and gets way less investment from governement that it should (it was one of the wealthier counties before partition and now its languishing way behind). Also apparently some people in government dont even know its in this state.:rolleyes:
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/county-donegal-wiped-off-crisis-hq-maps-28530969.html

Also if people are suggesting Sligo as a city, Letterkenny with a larger population could also be a city

Advertisement