Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should the next city in Ireland be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Can we get a list of the 11 cities? And what is meant by Kilkenny not being an "administrative city"?

I've heard lots of different theories over the years as to what makes a city - charter, has a cathedral, population....

Dublin
    Cork
    Limerick
    Galway
    Waterford
    Kilkenny

Belfast
    Derry
    Armagh
    Lisburn
    Newry

(I had to check the last 3 on Wikipedia)

Next city should be Sligo...maybe. Or maybe Athlone - sort the Midlands out.

Kilkenny is allowed to call itself a city but it doesnt have a city council, it has a borough council like clonmel, sligo and a few others.

Its different in ever country, the current cities in the republic had a royal charter from way back.

Yeah people down the country dont seem to even realise that there are five cities in NI. Armagh is only a city because of its ecclesastical importance (15,000) and Newry (Catholic town) was only given city status because Lisburn was given city status (Protestant town)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I don't see how anywhere without an opera house, a castle with a magical rock and at the very least a butter museum can possibly be considered a city...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I don't see how anywhere without an opera house, a castle with a magical rock and at the very least a butter museum can possibly be considered a city...

The butter museum is the clincher imho - oh, and a big goldie fish! All the really super cities have one of those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

John Doe1 wrote: »
    So there are currently 11 cities in Ireland, 5 in the north and 6 in the south (although Kilkenny is not an administrative city and Belfast and Dublin are the only 'real' cities by world standards:P )

Based on population and not being strictly speaking a suburb, Bangor (58,000) and Drogheda (38,000) would be the next cities but what place do think deserves to be a city?

You obviously haven't done much international travel. By world standards Belfast doesn't rate as much of a city and Dublin is a small insignificant city. Even by European standards this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

So there are currently 11 cities in Ireland, 5 in the north and 6 in the south (although Kilkenny is not an administrative city and Belfast and Dublin are the only 'real' cities by world standards:P )

Based on population and not being strictly speaking a suburb, Bangor (58,000) and Drogheda (38,000) would be the next cities but what place do think deserves to be a city?

Fantasy:
    Glendalough - pretty countryside and almost noone there to appreciate it. Caveat: Grow more trees there than build structures. The place could do with some more trees given the large area.

Reality:
    Shannon - It's a small town but right by an airport. If I was going to build a new city in Ireland, I'd make sure it was completely different to what we have now - a high rise type city but sustainable, and call it New Shannon, with it's own elevate rail system and it's own autonomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Also if people are suggesting Sligo as a city, Letterkenny with a larger population could also be a city

by 136, hardly a significant amount. it's also right beside Slash city as it stands.
    metrosity wrote: »
    Shannon - It's a small town but right by an airport. If I was going to build a new city in Ireland, I'd make sure it was completely different to what we have now - a high rise type city but sustainable, and call it New Shannon, with it's own elevate rail system and it's own autonomy.

But that's within spitting distance of two other cities, as well as a large urban town. what would be the point?

metrosity wrote: »
    Fantasy:
    Glendalough - pretty countryside and almost noone there to appreciate it. Caveat: Grow more trees there than build structures. The place could do with some more trees given the large area.

Reality:

Shannon is already a new town, so it would be a new new town:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rbox12

Navan

Up Meath :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

rbox12 wrote: »
    Navan

Up Meath :-)

Fcuk off Trim all the way :D

zetalambda wrote: »
    You obviously haven't done much international travel. By world standards Belfast doesn't rate as much of a city and Dublin is a small insignificant city. Even by European standards this is the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Well there are both global cities

alpha - (along with barcelona and melbourne) and gamma (along with glasgow and marseille) respectively

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Dublin is a city by world standards?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Well there are both global cities

alpha - (along with barcelona and melbourne) and gamma (along with glasgow and marseille) respectively

The Top 10 Reasons you Cannot Rely On Wikipedia:

10. You must never fully rely on any one source for important information.

9. You especially can’t rely on something when you don’t even know who wrote it.

8. The contributor with an agenda often prevails.

7. Individuals with agendas sometimes have significant editing authority.

6. Sometimes “vandals” create malicious entries that go uncorrected for months.

5. There is little diversity among editors.

4. The number of active Wikipedia editors has flatlined.

3. It has become harder for casual participants to contribute.

2. Accurate contributors can be silenced.

1. It says so on Wikipedia.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/education/2010/march/The-Top-10-Reasons-Students-Cannot-Cite-or-Rely-on-Wikipedia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

If I'm ever in the unfortunate position of having to do schoolwork again I won't base my work upon Wikipedia articles. Until then I'm happy to trust it as much as any other encyclopaedia.

zetalambda wrote: »
    The Top 10 Reasons you Cannot Rely On Wikipedia:

10. You must never fully rely on any one source for important information.

9. You especially can’t rely on something when you don’t even know who wrote it.

8. The contributor with an agenda often prevails.

7. Individuals with agendas sometimes have significant editing authority.

6. Sometimes “vandals” create malicious entries that go uncorrected for months.

5. There is little diversity among editors.

4. The number of active Wikipedia editors has flatlined.

3. It has become harder for casual participants to contribute.

2. Accurate contributors can be silenced.

1. It says so on Wikipedia.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/education/2010/march/The-Top-10-Reasons-Students-Cannot-Cite-or-Rely-on-Wikipedia.html

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2012t.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

When Drogheda and Dundalk both exceed 50,000 they should be classed as cities. They are the largest towns in the 26 after W'ford which currently has 45,000. Both Louth towns are on 38,000 each now.

Dublin City and suburbs should be properly organised as a unit with the differing suburbs properly defined within it. The current Dublin just screams of pathetic organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

When Drogheda and Dundalk both exceed 50,000 they should be classed as cities

Only if citizens from both take elocution lessons.

That's the source article for Wikipedia y'pleb!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Donegal just to stop then whining about being the 'forgotten' county.

Give us a couple of pound then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

greenflash wrote: »
    Ireland just about has the population for two cities. Everything else from Cork down is a town no regardless of cathedrals, charters or whatever.
    Agreed. It's a bit of a stretch calling any of the urban conurbations on this island ''cities''. Have a look at some of the great Cities in the world; London, Paris, Berlin Rome, New York, Cairo, Mexico City, Sao Paolo, Beijing, Sydney, etc etc. Now THEY are what you call cities. What we have in Ireland are large towns (Dublin, Belfast and Cork) and medium sized towns (Galway, Limerick, Waterford, Londonderry etc etc). At a stretch you could call Dublin a City, I suppose. But to call a town (Cork) with a population of 119,230 (as at the 2011 census) a ''city'' is really stretching credibility to bereaking point. The same can be said for Belfast (280,892). I won't even list what the populations of Limerick, Galway, Londonderry, Waterford etc were in 2011. Suffice to say, they're tiny to be called cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Slightly off topic but...

The city if Lusail in Qatar is earmarked to hold the 2022 World Cup - only thing is that the city isn't even built yet, not to mind the stadium!!!

If Qatar can do things like that (with a total pop. of 1.7m) surely we could build a city in Leitrim and include it in our bid for the WC :-D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Slightly off topic but...

The city if Lusail in Qatar is earmarked to hold the 2022 World Cup - only thing is that the city isn't even built yet, not to mind the stadium!!!

If Qatar can do things like that (with a total pop. of 1.7m) surely we could build a city in Leitrim and include it in our bid for the WC :-D

Leitrim will be a megatropolis before Qatar ever gets to host the World Cup.

Ain't gonna happen.

Back on topic, I nominate Kilkenny as Ireland's next city.

The rest of us know it isn't really a city but the natives get very tetchy down there when we refer to it as a nice little town.

So lets make it official and shut the fuckers up once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nobber

/thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

endacl wrote: »
    Nobber

/thread

In before Muff :pac:

Lapin wrote: »
    In before Muff :pac:

Twinned with....

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Waterford and Kilkenny are not cities, more like large towns.

endacl wrote: »
    Nobber

/thread

Thread didn't end. Now what?

Saipanne wrote: »
    Thread didn't end. Now what?
    Dunno. More silly suggestions?

Fartrim? In Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

blueser wrote: »
    Agreed. It's a bit of a stretch calling any of the urban conurbations on this island ''cities''. Have a look at some of the great Cities in the world; London, Paris, Berlin Rome, New York, Cairo, Mexico City, Sao Paolo, Beijing, Sydney, etc etc. Now THEY are what you call cities. What we have in Ireland are large towns (Dublin, Belfast and Cork) and medium sized towns (Galway, Limerick, Waterford, Londonderry etc etc). At a stretch you could call Dublin a City, I suppose. But to call a town (Cork) with a population of 119,230 (as at the 2011 census) a ''city'' is really stretching credibility to bereaking point. The same can be said for Belfast (280,892). I won't even list what the populations of Limerick, Galway, Londonderry, Waterford etc were in 2011. Suffice to say, they're tiny to be called cities.

Cant agree. Just looking at your great cities I wouldn't include Rome, Berlin or Sydney as their tiny in comparison to some of the others but that doesn't make them or for that matter Irish cities not cities. Your also using inaccurate census figures as Cork and Belfast have about twice those populations but the official city areas (unchanged in donkeys years) don't in any way reflect the actual urban areas.

• Advertisement

How many cities in China have a greater population than Dublin?

Advertisement