Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**CAO Points Discussion 2014 - predictions and aftermath**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

Cakes. wrote: »
    I'm 65 above what was needed last year so unless something crazy happens see you in September! :cool:

Yay! Fingers crossed for Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Does anyone know If there is ever second round offers for dentistry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Does anyone know where to find CAO statistics after change of mind closed? I know they released figures based on february applications but I can't seem to find more recent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ribbons123

Has anyone got any predictions for equine science in maynooth???

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ribbons123

Has anyone got any predictions for equine business in maynooth???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 podz

Drama and Theatre in Trinity? Any predictions?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Have any of ye considered applying for a part time job with the Irish Times? I reckon ye could easily get a 20 page weekend supplement out of discussing which course points are likely to rise and fall this year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

Have any of ye considered applying for a part time job with the Irish Times? I reckon ye could easily get a 20 page weekend supplement out of discussing which course points are likely to rise and fall this year :D

Breaking news: Semi-reputable source has heard from a friend of a friend that points for arts will rise, is "absolutely certain of it like". Boards experts uncontactable due to collective freaking out. Country in chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

Hey guys :)
    I have a question regarding the cao.
    I've 465 which would get me into my third choice arts.

Arts is UCD is like 335 or something. Just say another person has 360 and has it first preference.

if we are the last two to be considered for the course and there was one place left.

would I get it for having higher points or would they get it for it being their first choice and it's my third.

• Advertisement

fishnetsxD wrote: »
    Hey guys :)
    I have a question regarding the cao.
    I've 465 which would get me into my third choice arts.

Arts is UCD is like 335 or something. Just say another person has 360 and has it first preference.

if we are the last two to be considered for the course and there was one place left.

would I get it for having higher points or would they get it for it being their first choice and it's my third.

You would get it. It has nothing to do with where it is on your list. Say you apply for arts in TCD, UCC, UCD, NUIM and NUIG you are entered on all four lists.

And so is everybody else that applies for them. Let's assume everyone meets subject requirements to keep it simple. Lists are then arranged by points. Let's say there are 100 places on each course.

Let's say your preferences are in order trinity, cork, UCD.

Everyone who has applied for arts has put trinity first. You make 250 on the trinity list. Fifty of them listed TCD only. Fifty of those 100 had cork and other colleges as their second choice. Because they are being offered their first choice they are removed from the cork/UCD/ nuim /NUIG lists.

Let's say you were position 175 on the cork list. Because those 50 people got their first choice in trinity and were removed from the cork list that bumps you up to position 125. Still not high enough to get in.

Let's say at the start you were position 110 on the UCD list, your third choice. The 50 people who got trinity and also had cork and UCD down are removed from the list and say another 20 people who got their second choice cork but also listed UCD. That removes 70 off the list and bumps you from position 110 to 40. So you make the cut and get offered arts in first round.

Now obviously it's way more complex given the number of courses in the country but that's essentially what happens.

So regardless of position on your list or anyone else's list places are ALWAYS given out based on points

You would get it. It has nothing to do with where it is on your list. Say you apply for arts in TCD, UCC, UCD, NUIM and NUIG you are entered on all four lists.

And so is everybody else that applies for them. Let's assume everyone meets subject requirements to keep it simple. Lists are then arranged by points. Let's say there are 100 places on each course.

Let's say your preferences are in order trinity, cork, UCD.

Everyone who has applied for arts has put trinity first. You make 250 on the trinity list. Fifty of them listed TCD only. Fifty of those 100 had cork and other colleges as their second choice. Because they are being offered their first choice they are removed from the cork/UCD/ nuim /NUIG lists.

Let's say you were position 175 on the cork list. Because those 50 people got their first choice in trinity and were removed from the cork list that bumps you up to position 125. Still not high enough to get in.

Let's say at the start you were position 110 on the UCD list, your third choice. The 50 people who got trinity and also had cork and UCD down are removed from the list and say another 20 people who got their second choice cork but also listed UCD. That removes 70 off the list and bumps you from position 110 to 40. So you make the cut and get offered arts in first round.

Now obviously it's way more complex given the number of courses in the country but that's essentially what happens.

So regardless of position on your list or anyone else's list places are ALWAYS given out based on points

Thanks for clarifying. I was so terrified that I wouldn't get any offers. My first two choices are food science and ag science in UCD. I just put down arts for a back up. But I'm so border line on my first two choices. :/ I'm really hoping they go down a little or if ag stays the same. :)

Thanks for clarifying. I was so terrified that I wouldn't get any offers. My first two choices are food science and ag science in UCD. I just put down arts for a back up. But I'm so border line on my first two choices. :/ I'm really hoping they go down a little or if ag stays the same. :)

I don't know what the points were last year for food science but I know ag was 455. Fingers crossed it doesn't rise by more than 10 for you. A number of my students are going for ag in UCD but bared on last years points won't get it unless there's a good drop as they are sitting around the 435 mark.

I don't know what the points were last year for food science but I know ag was 455. Fingers crossed it doesn't rise by more than 10 for you. A number of my students are going for ag in UCD but bared on last years points won't get it unless there's a good drop as they are sitting around the 435 mark.

It was 470 so it has to go down for me to be secure with a place. People were going crazy about these courses for awhile. But this year I haven't heard too much so I'm hoping it'll go down. I was absolutely gutted about English. I got a D1 after being told I'd get a B1. That'd bring me to 495 which would be perfect.

what are you going for?

It was 470 so it has to go down for me to be secure with a place. People were going crazy about these courses for awhile. But this year I haven't heard too much so I'm hoping it'll go down. I was absolutely gutted about English. I got a D1 after being told I'd get a B1. That'd bring me to 495 which would be perfect.

what are you going for?

I'm not a student. I'm a teacher. :D

View your English paper. If you feel there are valid grounds for appeal and you are successful and bump up to say 495 and ag stuck at 470 they then have to offer you a place.

Now there's a chance you'll get it on Monday anyway bit view your paper and see if the grade is accurate. Have it as your back up plan

I'm not a student. I'm a teacher. :D

View your English paper. If you feel there are valid grounds for appeal and you are successful and bump up to say 495 and ag stuck at 470 they then have to offer you a place.

Now there's a chance you'll get it on Monday anyway bit view your paper and see if the grade is accurate. Have it as your back up plan

Awh you're so nice and have calmed me so much. Thank you. I can't see a recheck going up so dramatically. I'll be happy for it to go up a little bit. Especially cause I want all honours too. I also got 2 a2s in Irish and HE. If they came up to A1s that's 20 extra points. But it's difficult to get an A1.

I have Monday to battle firstly.

what subject(s) do you teach?

Awh you're so nice and have calmed me so much. Thank you. I can't see a recheck going up so dramatically. I'll be happy for it to go up a little bit. Especially cause I want all honours too. I also got 2 a2s in Irish and HE. If they came up to A1s that's 20 extra points. But it's difficult to get an A1.

I have Monday to battle firstly.

what subject(s) do you teach?

Ag science and physics.

Hence the interest in ag points.

No you mightn't go from D1 to B1 but every little helps if you get an increase

Ag science and physics.

Hence the interest in ag points.

No you mightn't go from D1 to B1 but every little helps if you get an increase

UCD is the only level 8 in ag science in Ireland I believe. So it'll be difficult.

Interesting mix of subjects.

Thanks for all the help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lapetitefraise

Any predictions for Biomedical Science in NUIG? The points for it last year were 545, I got 555 in the LC. I'm worried sick about offers on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

UCD is the only level 8 in ag science in Ireland I believe. So it'll be difficult.

Interesting mix of subjects.

Thanks for all the help! :)
    There is a new level 8 ag course in waterford this year I think

• Advertisement

eoinoc2509 wrote: »
    There is a new level 8 ag course in waterford this year I think

Nice one xD
    All of the UCD problems would disappear if there was one in trinners.

Like a previous poster said about supply and demand ,I would think there would be a huge demand for ag science seeing as the economy is only still recovering ? It's hard to see the points dropping for this reason.
    This is from careers portal :
    2013 -455

Change from 2012:

Points History:
    2012 - 445
    2011 - 430
    2010 - 420
    2009 - 395
    2008 - 375
    2007 - 315
    2006 - 320
    2005 - 320
    2004 - 310
    2003 - 320
    2002 - 330
    2001 - 320
    2000 - 340

It would be difficult not to see a 10-15 point rise based on this trend .
    I know myself in my school that ag science was an extremely popular cao choice this year . This is only my opinion though not fact. You'll have to wait for Monday like everyone else .

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Like a previous poster said about supply and demand ,I would think there would be a huge demand for ag science seeing as the economy is only still recovering ? It's hard to see the points dropping for this reason.
    This is from careers portal :
    2013 -455

Change from 2012:

Points History:
    2012 - 445
    2011 - 430
    2010 - 420
    2009 - 395
    2008 - 375
    2007 - 315
    2006 - 320
    2005 - 320
    2004 - 310
    2003 - 320
    2002 - 330
    2001 - 320
    2000 - 340

It would be difficult not to see a 10-15 point rise based on this trend .
    I know myself in my school that ag science was an extremely popular cao choice this year . This is only my opinion though not fact. You'll have to wait for Monday like everyone else .

There's a new ag science course in WIT which is level 8. Looked it up. That may affect things too. We will see. :) hopefully I'll get it or my first choice of food science. :)

There's a new ag science course in WIT which is level 8. Looked it up. That may affect things too. We will see. :) hopefully I'll get it or my first choice of food science. :)

I suspect the L8 in Waterford will ease the pressure somewhat but UCD will remain the no. 1 choice for ag sci applications as it's so well established.

I suspect the L8 in Waterford will ease the pressure somewhat but UCD will remain the no. 1 choice for ag sci applications as it's so well established.

Yeah :)
    any predictions for food science UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Idek

Hi guys I read somewhere that although cao applicants have risen compared to last year, nursing applicants have dropped does that mean I have a chance of getting in at 345 points or is it hopeless?

Idek wrote: »
    Hi guys I read somewhere that although cao applicants have risen compared to last year, nursing applicants have dropped does that mean I have a chance of getting in at 345 points or is it hopeless?

Do you mean general nursing?
    If so then for example the points in ucc last year according to careers portal was 450 . You are 105 points off . You will have to decide for yourself if it's within your grasp .
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10 simsha

Anyone got into a course without HEAR and DARE and was 5 points off? Does this even happen? I'm having sleepless nights..

simsha wrote: »
    Anyone got into a course without HEAR and DARE and was 5 points off? Does this even happen? I'm having sleepless nights..

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm wishing you the best. :) it might happen in round two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

if you accept your first offer(2nd preference course) will you be given an offer in round 2(if it was your first preference)

Advertisement