Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**CAO Points Discussion 2014 - predictions and aftermath**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

Would anyone care to wager a guess on how things are looking for CK 606 Architecture in UCC? Points were 420, 400, 400 for the past three years but apparently interest is up 15% in Architecture courses since last year :/

I'd say architecture should stay under 425 in UCC, and below 400 in UL and WIT, however I would predict a bit more of an increase in DIT and UCD at around 540 and 470, respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dadadum

Haven't heard much about science on here so hopefully interest is down or something. I'm hoping for DN200 in UCD (science) and last years points were 505. Guess what I got in the LC? 505. So now I'm worried they'll go up by 5 or 10. Anyone know any trends that might make me feel a little confident? I know the points have been rising the past few years so I'm a little scared.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Dadadum wrote: »
    Haven't heard much about science on here so hopefully interest is down or something. I'm hoping for DN200 in UCD (science) and last years points were 505. Guess what I got in the LC? 505. So now I'm worried they'll go up by 5 or 10. Anyone know any trends that might make me feel a little confident? I know the points have been rising the past few years so I'm a little scared.

Head over to the OT, around half of us are hoping for science :pac:

I've got a prediction but you're not going to like it.

Nimr wrote: »
    I've got a prediction but you're not going to like it.

What's the prediction... Or do I even want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LCLIFE

Hi guys, anyone have any predictions for computer science in trinity? It was 460 last year and I got 475 in my leaving. Please say it won't go up more then 15 points? I was hoping to have a bigger range from last years points and my points in the leaving :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

Cakes. wrote: »
    I just realised my first two courses both jumped over 30 points last year...

Feeling kinda sick :(

Anybody else here for German and/or Irish in Trinity or Applied Languages in UL?

I'm going for French and Irish in TCD :D best of luck! I'm sure you'll get what you want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭curlyclodagh

I got 420 couse is 465 but have DARE, any chance?

My brother was bumped up from 370 to 405 with DARE in 2011, so potentially. Obviously I have no idea for definite, but there's a chance they'd give you the extra 45 if they gave my brother an extra 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

My brother was bumped up from 370 to 405 with DARE in 2011, so potentially. Obviously I have no idea for definite, but there's a chance they'd give you the extra 45 if they gave my brother an extra 35.

Thanks I'd be happy with my next choice anyway but obviously I'd be ecstatic if I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

so how does monday work exactly? do we get an email with our offer or do we log into the CAO website and accept the offer from there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

a0ifee wrote: »
    so how does monday work exactly? do we get an email with our offer or do we log into the CAO website and accept the offer from there?

I'm pretty sure you log in to the CAO website.

You might get an e-mail too, sure :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

do details about points requirements leak out before 6am monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

do details about points requirements leak out before 6am monday?

Yes. The points are printed in the national papers so anyone that works late at night in a shop that sells papers has access once the papers are delivered.

It's rare not to see a scan or photo of some of the points on boards by 1.30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I'm going for French and Irish in TCD :D best of luck! I'm sure you'll get what you want. :)

I'm 65 above what was needed last year so unless something crazy happens see you in September! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Anyone here doing Computing in national college of Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 car2626

Primary school teaching predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

What would happen if a course was 380 points but only 5 applied for it and the lowest was 265 but still met requirements would entry to the course be allowed to drop by that many points ? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

What would happen if a course was 380 points but only 5 applied for it and the lowest was 265 but still met requirements would entry to the course be allowed to drop by that many points ? :L

Depends, if there were only 5 places, then in theory, yes the points would be 265. If there were eg 6 places, then it would be AQA, so anyone who met requirements got in. It's a long shot though as few courses are AQA in the 1st round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Can anyone put me out of my misery . I am actually losing sleep over this .
    Points for dentistry in ucc or tcd.
    Thanks

yes, points aren't *allowed* to drop or rise. They just do depending on the demand for the course and the points each applicant got.

E.g if hardly anyone applies for a course, then the points will crash. Have a look at the construction courses over the last couple of years.

I used caopointschecker.com

I picked a construction course at random (CW438) Construction - Quantity Surveying in Carlow.

Applications for construction courses collapsed after the recession because there's little to no work in the sector.

2008 - 320
    2009 - 310
    2010 - 300
    2011 - 250
    2012 - 285
    2013 - 235

So an 85 point drop since 2008. I would say drops similar have been seen in other construction courses and clearly external factors have a knock on effect here.

DT111 - Quantity Surveying has suffered a similar collapse

2005 - 430
    2006 - 435
    2007 - 440
    2008 - 400
    2009 - 345
    2010 - 330
    2011 - 285
    2012 - 270
    2013 - 275

170 points difference between highest and lowest

And finally since the economy went to pieces agriculture has seen a surge in applications, particularly from students (lads mainly) who would have traditionally done construction and have now moved back to farming

2005 - 320
    2006 - 320
    2007 - 315
    2008 - 375
    2009 - 395
    2010 - 420
    2011 - 430
    2012 - 445
    2013 - 455

140 point difference from 2007 to 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Can anyone put me out of my misery . I am actually losing sleep over this .
    Points for dentistry in ucc or tcd.
    Thanks

Last 3 Years TCD
    http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=16

2013 585
    2012 590
    2011 570

Last 3 Years UCC
    http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=16

2013 580
    2012 590
    2011 570

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Got 265 but course is 360 I seriously doubt it will drop that much but I got the entrance requirements so hu noes :P

UCC in 2012 wasn't 590, that was the median score. 2012 was 575

580/575/570 for 13/12/11

Trinity

585/590/570

Anyone else have anything to say about science? I'll cope if you say the points will rise... Possibly.

Anyone else have anything to say about science? I'll cope if you say the points will rise... Possibly.

The points will rise

I think :rolleyes:

The points will rise

I think :rolleyes:

Coping. I am so coping.

Coping. I am so coping.

I'm worrying and stressing about how much my course will rise too. We're all in the same boat, well, anyone who got less than 600 is...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

UCC in 2012 wasn't 590, that was the median score. 2012 was 575

580/575/570 for 13/12/11

Trinity

585/590/570

I should be safe so for ucc . Dying inside :(

I'm worrying and stressing about how much my course will rise too. We're all in the same boat, well, anyone who got less than 600 is...

I have last years points so I refuse to accept that they'll rise.

Good luck on Monday. We all need it.

This thread need a magic 8 ball app for all the 'will the points rise or fall for X course?' queries :D

http://www.ask8ball.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mullingarman95

does anyone think journalism in dit or media and international language in dcu will change

Advertisement