Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**CAO Points Discussion 2014 - predictions and aftermath**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarbear18

What do people think about primary teaching? It was 465 last year.. i have 470. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

sarbear18 wrote: »
    What do people think about primary teaching? It was 465 last year.. i have 470. :/

i thought it was 460? maynooth is 495 and im almost certain that its going up :?/ pretty sure im safe though. As far as the other 3 colleges I would say the points will be much the same, with maybe a jump of 5 points max, cant see it going over 470 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fishnetsxD

Lara_15 wrote: »
    i thought it was 460? maynooth is 495 and im almost certain that its going up :?/ pretty sure im safe though. As far as the other 3 colleges I would say the points will be much the same, with maybe a jump of 5 points max, cant see it going over 470 tbh

Loads of people are going into teaching so I can see that go up. I don't know a thing about it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Anyone doing any of the Law courses in UCD? I'll be doing Law with Economics I think. I can see the points going up quite a bit. Demand for Law courses is up nationally so I'm predicting it'll be about 515.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 minniemouse3

Ok so got my A-level results today... not great but wasnt expecting very much as the exams were dreadful to say the least. Anyways, I have calculated I have 215 points.. Ive applied for Business and French at Letterkenny IT and reaaaaaally want to get an offer on monday! Though last years points were 220 for this course, not feeling optimistic... any chance it'll go down by 5? :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

robman60 wrote: »
    Anyone doing any of the Law courses in UCD? I'll be doing Law with Economics I think. I can see the points going up quite a bit. Demand for Law courses is up nationally so I'm predicting it'll be about 515.

Law in UCD shouldn't go up by more than 10 points I reckon. Because it's such a big course (all the other options e.g Law+Economics, are under Dn600) it shouldn't be as volatile as other courses with less places. Even with the new building attracting people and the 4% national rise, I still think it'll be between 500-510

Law in UCD shouldn't go up by more than 10 points I reckon. Because it's such a big course (all the other options e.g Law+Economics, are under Dn600) it shouldn't be as volatile as other courses with less places. Even with the new building attracting people and the 4% national rise, I still think it'll be between 500-510

I think that's an accurate assessment. I think it'll be 505-515 this year. I'm not concerned or anything just interested to see how it'll turn out.

I think that's an accurate assessment. I think it'll be 505-515 this year. I'm not concerned or anything just interested to see how it'll turn out.

I'll probably end up with Law and History if I don't get my first choice, which unfortunately is a very small course, so it's much harder to gauge what the threshold is.

I'll probably end up with Law and History if I don't get my first choice, which unfortunately is a very small course, so it's much harder to gauge what the threshold is.
    Doesn't that just come under the DN600 course title anyway? Therefore, won't the points be the same for all the Law and X courses?

Doesn't that just come under the DN600 course title anyway? Therefore, won't the points be the same for all the Law and X courses?

Nah, my first choice is Law and German in TCD, which was 515 last year but should rise this year, hopefully not by too much though. Law and History is my backup option, which is what I'll probably end up with if I miss out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Does anyone think points could decrease dramatically for arts in nuig or liberal arts in Mary I? Also New Media with English in UL. I have 250 points so needless to say I guess I won't be getting arts in nuig or the other colleges(lower on my CAO, I just put them down for the sake of it :p ) I was looking at CAO points checker and it seems UL and Mary I points have decreased a lot, but I doubt enough to allow a 250 point scoring student in, as with NUIG which probably won't go down much from 300! I'm pretty much guaranteed my level 7 choice of humanities in carlow which should be an experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Fuzzmore

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on Commerce? I got 475 which is what it is now so hopefully it doesn't change!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Teachack

Kind of worried here, been waiting almost a year for Monday to come, took the year out, should have applied last year and differed a place. I have 485 points, the course I want is 420. In the past 3 years the points have gone -

2011 445
    2012 430
    2013 420

I think I'm fine but can I get anyone's view on it? I know that no one can tell me for sure, but what do ye think yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Everything points to an increase: points trend - average increase of five points each year since 2008; increased numbers receiving Bonus Points for passing Higher Maths; ~5% increase in demand for Business courses.

I have 520 and also the HEAR scheme under my belt, 495 is the highest that BESS has ever been afaik, but I'm too scared to feel in any way secure in case it shoots up for the reasons you have. I really really want that course :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Teachack wrote: »
    Kind of worried here, been waiting almost a year for Monday to come, took the year out, should have applied last year and differed a place. I have 485 points, the course I want is 420. In the past 3 years the points have gone -

2011 445
    2012 430
    2013 420

I think I'm fine but can I get anyone's view on it? I know that no one can tell me for sure, but what do ye think yourselves?

It's highly unlikely that a course that has been dropping over the last three years is gonna jump to 490.

I have 520 and also the HEAR scheme under my belt, 495 is the highest that BESS has ever been afaik, but I'm too scared to feel in any way secure in case it shoots up for the reasons you have. I really really want that course :o

I can say with (almost) certainty that it won't. BESS has 267 places I think and with that many students, a large points fluctuation is extremely unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 junior c

my first choice in
    2010 250
    2011 325
    2012 350
    2013 310

I got 335 in the leaving cert,what do you think?

junior c wrote: »
    my first choice in
    2010 250
    2011 325
    2012 350
    2013 310

I got 335 in the leaving cert,what do you think?

It's much harder to call with the fluctuation in 2012. To be honest you'll just have to wait until Monday.

The strange thing is I rang cao on Monday and they said it dropped 40 point 2012 to 2013,I have checked the lists of points on their the cao site and they now say it was 325 in 2012,I sure the list had 350 for 2012.can anyone check it out online for me please.it's dt 432 culinary arts.

The strange this is I rang cao on Monday and they said it dropped 40 point 2012 to 2013,I have checked the lists of points on their the cao site and they now say it was 325 in 2012,I sure the list had 350 for 2012.can anyone check it out online for me please.it's dt 432 culinary arts.

i just looked at it and it was 325 in 2012 and 310 in 2013.

It might have been 350 in the first round in 2012 and then dropped to 325 in the second round.

But 325 it is. That is better news for you. Far less fluctuation in points. Also it's never been above 325 in the last 4 years.

• Advertisement

Oh God I could cry,thinking about it,it's was dit I rang,I wonder when I questioned it did they notice the mistake? I was asking them if they increased places for the points to drop so much.I'm ringing cao and dit tomorrow.the relief if it was 325,cross your fingers it's right now.

Oh God I could cry,thinking about it,it's was dit I rang,I wonder when I questioned it did they notice the mistake? I was asking them if they increased places for the points to drop so much.I'm ringing cao and dit tomorrow.the relief if it was 325,cross your fingers it's right now.

Whoever you were talking to could have just been reading points from a list and read out the wrong one.

I would say the CAO list is right, they tend not to get those kind of things wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Anglim24

Hey I got 420 points my course last year was 360 and in 2012 370 and in 2011 380 and 2010 370 am I reasonably safe I also got accepted to dare

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No-one can give you an absolute guarantee until Monday, but yes, I'd say you're pretty safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 WildConn

2011 - 360
    2012 - 340
    2013 - 375

I have 360 and I have the HEAR scheme, but there is a bigger demand for the course this year. Do I have a much of a chance?

Honestly Conn, we can't tell you.

You're definitely in with a chance, but I genuinely wouldn't be so unfair to you as even to take a tentative guess at that one.
    Whoever you were talking to could have just been reading points from a list and read out the wrong one.

I would say the CAO list is right, they tend not to get those kind of things wrong.
    They may have read the median rather than the cut-off perhaps, easy done ...

Thanks for replies I will ring and check tomorrow,I will sleep a bit better if it was 325 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The most simple thing you have to understand about the CAO is supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

I got 420 couse is 465 but have DARE, any chance?

• Advertisement

I got 420 couse is 465 but have DARE, any chance?
    Genuinely not being smart, but no-one here can give you an answer to that ... or at least one with anything to back it apart from the toss of a coin! :)

Advertisement