Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**CAO Points Discussion 2014 - predictions and aftermath**

Options
  • 28-07-2014 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

It's that time of the year again when Ireland's preposterous third level entry system allocates places.

Round One offers - 18th August (closing date: 25/08)
    Round Two offers - 27th August (clsoing date: 03/09)

caopointschecker.com is an excellent resource for analysing points trends.

It's important to note that there is a general trend of inflation in LC points, so it's to be expected that that would be replicated in course entry requirements:

Median ≥400 (%) ≥500 (%)
    2000 300 24.8 5.7
    2013 335 43.4 9.7
    % Increase 12 75 70

Has anyone got any thoughts or predictions?

I'll start with an easy one: since 2005, Theoretical Physics in TCD has alternated between increasing and decreasing and has done so by an average of thirty-five points each year!

TPhys_TCD_Points.png

TP decreased last year, and coupled with the rise of Mathematics in TCD (increased from 415 in 2009 to 550 in 2013), I see it increasing to 530+.

The Hpat scores for Medicine substantially decreased this year. In 2013, the eightieth percentile was 178 and the ninetieth 196; in 2014, the equivalent scores were 170 and 180. Hpat doesn't release comprehensive data, so it's difficult to gauge what effect that'll have on the points for medicine. Although there was a decrease of around 5% in the number applying for Medicine, it seems likely that there'll still be a drop of around 10 points.

And, last, I think (given an increase in first preferences of ~10%) that Engineering will increase across the board, with it getting very close to 500 in UCD.

Commiserations in advance to anyone who doesn't get their course. It happened to me; I was utterly disconsolate; I repeated, got the course that I had originally wanted, but hated it and ended up transferring to one I could have done with my initial score. It hurts for a while, but you very soon reappraise your situation and become content with it; though it feels like it might, the pain doesn't last for very long!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I think caopointschecker is a bit misleading. Trends going up and down in past years don't really reflect the demand for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

DC120 has been increasing by 20 points every year for the past few years , i presume it will rise from 370 to 390 this year but i cant see it reaching 400

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

Aarong9224 wrote: »
    DC120 has been increasing by 20 points every year for the past few years , i presume it will rise from 370 to 390 this year but i cant see it reaching 400

I was looking at different computer courses and the rate at which their points increase is slowing down (2012-2013) relatively to their stable points growth of 2010-2012.
    I am hoping that this year we will not see much increase in points for computer related courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

A while a go I seen something posted that basically showed the increases/decrease in how many people applied for certain courses THIS YEAR in 2014 (example medicene went up by 9.9 percent I think?) can anyone link me this again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Badwulf wrote: »
    A while a go I seen something posted that basically showed the increases/decrease in how many people applied for certain courses THIS YEAR in 2014 (example medicene went up by 9.9 percent I think?) can anyone link me this again?

http://www2.cao.ie/app_stats/pdf/appstats01feb2014.pdf :)

• Advertisement

ww*w2.cao.ie/app_stats/pdf/appstats01feb2014.pdf (without the asterisk) :)

Ok now what section would the course "GA775" fall under in this? :L engineering/technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Oh I knew this thread was coming. I feel nothing but worry as the course I want I have enough points for if it doesn't go up.. which it will. I can feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

Do people think occupational theraphy will rise and what points might i have a chance of getting in with including the DARE scheme?

Do people think occupational theraphy will rise and what points might i have a chance of getting in with including the DARE scheme?
    Yes, it will rise. 40% increase in those applying for OT, Physio and nutrition sorry to tell you. Your dare scheme should stand to you if you're close :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

Will Commerce in NUIG rise much? Last year it was 375

• Advertisement

Anyone know if "computing in software development" in GMIT will go up?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No, we won't know until first round offers are out.

People can guess, but it's just guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

I never got how CAO points worked, I do Chemical Engineering in UL, in 2011 it was 400 points and 6 people were on the course, 2012 it was 480 points and 9 were on the course, and for 2013 it was 420 and 19 were on the course, anyone explain that one to me?

Ompala wrote: »
    I never got how CAO points worked, I do Chemical Engineering in UL, in 2011 it was 400 points and 6 people were on the course, 2012 it was 480 points and 9 were on the course, and for 2013 it was 420 and 19 were on the course, anyone explain that one to me?

The "points" of a course is equal to what the lowest scorer who was offered a place got (they need not have accepted - ie everyone in unfilled year may have scored higher).

In the case of the course you mention, there was a large spread of points-scores: the medians for the three years were (from '11-'13) 525, 540, and 505.

I'm not entirely sure what you find surprising. But if, through lack of demand, there's no competition for places, the lowest score (which decides the "points") could be as low as the equivalent of the minimum entry requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

I'm not entirely sure what you find surprising.

I don't really know what's causing UL to change their amount of places so randomly. Its as if they were trying to artificially control the minimum points.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

Mario95 wrote: »
    I don't really know what's causing UL to change their amount of places so randomly. Its as if they were trying to artificially control the minimum points.
    They were probably just increasing the number of places on the course due to increasing demand.

Mario95 wrote: »

Well, what would their aim be? Ceteris paribus, increasing number of places will reduce the points requirement. So if it were that, it's been a complete failure! As I said in my previous post, it's possible that there wasn't enough demand to fill the course in '11. I don't know when colleges notify CAO of the number of places on their courses, but maybe UL expanded the one in question because of application stats showing increased demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I just realised my first two courses both jumped over 30 points last year...

Feeling kinda sick :(

Anybody else here for German and/or Irish in Trinity or Applied Languages in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lauracarroll

I'm applying for OT too - really hope it doesnt jump too much, got my points in the mocks but still can't help but worry!! There's been a massive increase in applicants this year so it's predicted to rise quite a bit unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I think dentistry in ucc should drop .
    It wasn't full for the last two years and each year it wasn't full it dropped.
    http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?course_id=136#.U-jwgY29Kc0

555/560 maybe ?

• Advertisement

biomedical science in ucc and cit? am I the only one clinging to the hope of it dropping as it dropped by 5 points last year haha?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

xLisaBx wrote: »
    biomedical science in ucc and cit? am I the only one clinging to the hope of it dropping as it dropped by 5 points last year haha?

I'm hoping it drops too :o

To like... 500.

20 point decrease isn't very likely though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

The "points" of a course is equal to what the lowest scorer who was offered a place got (they need not have accepted - ie everyone in unfilled year may have scored higher).

In the case of the course you mention, there was a large spread of points-scores: the medians for the three years were (from '11-'13) 525, 540, and 505.

I'm not entirely sure what you find surprising. But if, through lack of demand, there's no competition for places, the lowest score (which decides the "points") could be as low as the equivalent of the minimum entry requirements.

Whoops totally forgot to ever reply to this :pac:
    I never understood it cos it was literally never explained to us
    We were more or less told to try and get as many points as you possibly could and then just pray twas enough, trying to see patterns or predicting never really came into the equation :o

Can I ask where you got those figures from? You've sparked my curiosity

Dunno really what the story is with UL and points these days, Maths and Physics did some crazy jumping in the last few years

2011 390
    2012 535
    2013 480

peekachoo wrote: »
    I'm hoping it drops too :o

To like... 500.

20 point decrease isn't very likely though :pac:
    This is me exactly.. its not gonna happen realistically though :(

Can I ask where you got those figures from? You've sparked my curiosity.

The Minimum Points by Year gives the final (ie minimum) CAO score and the median for each course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brien O Brien

Anybody know will the points for business in UL (LM050) increase or decrease. I am so worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My course dropped -30 last year.
    Hope I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ciaran511

My first choice (DT398) has been increasing by 5 points each year since it was introduced so I'm just assuming it will increase by 5 again this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

First choice BIS UCC increased by ~30 last year and has been increasing over the last 2-3 years..hoping for a drop tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭teotihuacan

Wooo Theoretical Physics. It's class. :pac:

Advertisement