Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man-icure

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Candie wrote: »
    Hang on a minute...So, you don't have gay friends. You don't want any gay friends. You'd dump a friend who had a manicure because it's 'gay'. You don't feel comfortable around camp gay men...

But you've often been in gay bars?

It begs questions.

No I said if a friend said he was gay and started adopting a secondary feminine personality, that I would not wish to remain friends with him. Go back and read what I said and if you are going to quote me, please do so accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

frag420 wrote: »
    Yrs and no. I do have the odd nibble when stressed but nowhere near as bad as I used to!! It's defo worth a shot!!

Thank you for the reply. I used to bite my nails years ago and know it's possible to stop. It's more difficult for some than for others but I can be done. His are quite bad. We had a wee chat about it and he said it's his thing (tbh I think he's a bit embarrassed) but would consider quitting for me. I'd prefer if he did it for himself rather than me but either way I want to be supportive :o

No I said if a friend said he was gay and started adopting a secondary feminine personality, that I would not wish to remain friends with him. Go back and read what I said and if you are going to quote me, please do so accurately.

No prob.
    , I'm not homophobic, I'm very much live and let live, but I do not have any gay friends and that is my choice and I am entitled to make that choice.

No prob.

And the rest of it please... I said I would have no issue with a gay friend if his personality remained the same, this has never been the case in my experience, this whole other completely separate feminine personality often emerges that is very different from the personality that was present before the person announced that they were gay. It is in that very particular context, that I have been clear about on thread, that I do not have any gay friends, because the idea of someone having one personality one day and a completely separate and different personality sometime thereafter, that doesn't sit right with me, and that doesn't make me homophobic.

There is no logical reason that I can see, why a guy who decides that he is gay, that he then starts pretty much immediately adopting this alternative false feminine persona and starts taking up feminine norms and starts doing things that women do, (wearing handbags, going to nail salons and wearing make up), and adopting female mannerisms and body language. It is that specific transition, that I seriously question and that I would have an issue with, as I see it as a huge departure in terms of someones personality. I do not believe that I am in any way unique in that view either I should add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, I've never had a manicure myself, but I've gone to a nail place for a 'file and shape' maybe three or four times. Costs about 8 euro. It is usually women in there, but men certainly go too. Men in business suits normally, sales people I would have assumed, who need to be very tidy for work.

I find it much easier for someone else to fix nails. Mainly because I'm horribly poor at operating a scissors with my left hand. So much so that I used to bite them all the time to avoid the scissors cutting my skin. Husband complained that the nail chewing was gross. So now I usually sort out his nails on his right hand, and he sorts mine in return. I've gone to the nail place when he was away, rather than resorting to the nailbiting again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

And the rest of it please... I said I would have no issue with a gay friend if his personality remained the same, this has never been the case in my experience, this whole other completely separate feminine personality often emerges that is very different from the personality that was present before the person announced that they were gay. It is in that very particular context, that I have been clear about on thread, that I do not have any gay friends, because the idea of someone having one personality one day and a completely separate and different personality sometime thereafter, that doesn't sit right with me, and that doesn't make me homophobic.

There is no logical reason that I can see, why a guy who decides that he is gay, that he then starts pretty much immediately adopting this alternative false feminine persona and starts taking up feminine norms and starts doing things that women do, (wearing handbags, going to nail salons and wearing make up), and adopting female mannerisms and body language. It is that specific transition, that I seriously question and that I would have an issue with, as I see it as a huge departure in terms of someones personality. I do not believe that I am in any way unique in that view either I should add.

I don't know a single guy who has done that.

And the rest of it please... I said I would have no issue with a gay friend if his personality remained the same

Ah now, you added all those qualifying layers in after you made the whole 'I have no gay friends and that is my choice' statement.

How you'd react to a friend coming out as gay is secondary to that fact.

You choose to have no gay friends. But you're not homophobic at all.

a guy who decides that he is gay

Can I ask you at what point you decided to be straight?

The ridiculous generalisations in here barely deserve a comment... But I'll sink to it...

Obviously any man who works in media on-screen is wearing make-up, and probably has had a professional look at their nails and skin. Still all men. It's just a higher level of grooming. They've stepped it up from the skoda range of handcare, to the lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Manicures are great! They tidy up your nails, cuticles, and skin around them and give lovely strengthening soaks and creams. For sure better than I can ever do at home!

I shop around nail salons in Dublin, they all have a men's manicure option, different from the ladies in that is assumes the men don't want polish. So it's mostly to promote healthy nails as well as appearance.

• Advertisement

Can I ask you at what point you decided to be straight?

I've never had any tendencies to be with men for as long as I remember. I've been very clear about how I feel on this subject, you clearly don't agree with my view, which is fine, but maybe you should open your mind to the view that there are men out there who are simply not comfortable around gay men who act overtly feminine/camp, by virtue of their sexuality, and someone like myself who feels like that, should simply be respected for how they feel.

Someone who is 'homophobic' is someone who holds a hatred of homosexuality and people who are homosexual. I have no such hatred, none whatsoever, but sitting in a pub with a guy flailing his hands around all over the place, acting completely feminine, putting on a woman's voice, acting in a completely different personality, with his manbag/handbag sitting on the floor, it is simply something that I would not be into, and I don't see why I should be expected to feel in some way homophobic for having that view, none of my mates would be any different on the subject and none are homophobic either. I know one lad who is gay but doesn't act like a woman, he acts normal, and I've regularly had a drink with him, we've even done rounds recently, we've sat in our local and drank together all night, no problem...

I've never had any tendencies to be with men for as long as I remember. I've been very clear about how I feel on this subject, you clearly don't agree with my view, which is fine, but maybe you should open your mind to the view that there are men out there who are simply not comfortable around gay men who act overtly feminine/camp, by virtue of their sexuality, and someone like myself who feels like that, should simply be respected for how they feel.

Someone who is 'homophobic' is someone who holds a hatred of homosexuality and people who are homosexual. I have no such hatred, none whatsoever, but sitting in a pub with a guy flailing his hands around all over the place, acting completely feminine, putting on a woman's voice, acting in a completely different personality, with his manbag/handbag sitting on the floor, it is simply something that I would not be into, and I don't see why I should be expected to feel in some way homophobic for having that view, none of my mates would be any different on the subject and none are homophobic either. I know one lad who is gay but doesn't act like a woman, he acts normal, and I've regularly had a drink with him, we've even done rounds recently, we've sat in our local and drank together all night, no problem...

A phobia is an extreme or irrational fear or aversion of something. You sen to have a pretty extreme aversion to camp men. If it quacks like a duck etc.

You're perfectly entitled to your views, just like racists are. And other people are entitled to point out that those views are homophobic or racist. You don't have the right to publicly make racist or homophobic statements, or to judge a persons sexuality or masculinity on the basis of a manicure, and not be called out on it. If you have unpopular opinions, don't expect acclaim.

You didn't choose to be straight btw, you just are. It's the same for gay people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Privileged White Male

I have to laugh at all these liberal progressive types getting outraged because a couple of us are saying a man getting a manicure will be laughed at.

I'm telling you now most men would mock a friend if he went for a manicure, doesn't mean he's a homophobe, which according to you lot seems to be one of the worst crimes imaginable.

Lads take the piss out of each other for everything and anything. Get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Privileged White Male

Come on man you should by know that you can't use logic when dealing with liberals. Have they accused you of being a closeted self hating homosexual yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Now I'd see myself as fairly liberal in most aspects of life. However, I will to some extent stick up for LordNorbury here.

I wouldn't be against the idea of having a manicure completely, I may even welcome it as a once-off thing. I'm sure a professional can do a much better job than I after all. Should I announce this to my friends however, it's simply being naive to think that I would not receive any stick or banter over it. I'd probably do the same thing were the roles reversed, although it would likely be more a case of trying to wind him up than me actually having a problem with it.

I don't think I'd make it a regular thing mind you. Again, if any man wants to do this it's a free world (and I wouldn't ostracise him should he happen to be a friend), but it wouldn't be my cup of tea. I'm lucky I suppose insofar as I don't have a manual job and therefore simply using a nailfile and keeping my hands clean is more than sufficient.

I have read a good few of LordNorbury's posts and although I obviously don't know him in person, he certainly doesn't strike me as someone who is homophobic. Perhaps he could have perhaps phrased things a little better on occasion, but he generally comes across as an articulate and open-minded individual.

He says that he doesn't particularly like camp behaviour and would try to stay away from someone who exhibits these traits. This to me is perfectly acceptable. My issue would be that this type of person, whether they be male, female, straight or gay, tend to be attention seekers and drama queens which would be a huge turnoff for me personally, irrespective of their sexual orientation. I have gay friends that are not like that at all and we get on very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I have to laugh at all these liberal progressive types getting outraged because a couple of us are saying a man getting a manicure will be laughed at.

I'm telling you now most men would mock a friend if he went for a manicure, doesn't mean he's a homophobe, which according to you lot seems to be one of the worst crimes imaginable.

Lads take the piss out of each other for everything and anything. Get over it.

I'd rather be Gay than a big manchild who's afraid to do what he wants because his "friends" will take the piss out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Now I'd see myself as fairly liberal in most aspects of life. However, I will to some extent stick up for LordNorbury here.

I wouldn't be against the idea of having a manicure completely, I may even welcome it as a once-off thing. I'm sure a professional can do a much better job than I after all. Should I announce this to my friends however, it's simply being naive to think that I would not receive any stick or banter over it. I'd probably do the same thing were the roles reversed, although it would likely be more a case of trying to wind him up than me actually having a problem with it.

I don't think I'd make it a regular thing mind you. Again, if any man wants to do this it's a free world (and I wouldn't ostracise him should he happen to be a friend), but it wouldn't be my cup of tea. I'm lucky I suppose insofar as I don't have a manual job and therefore simply using a nailfile and keeping my hands clean is more than sufficient.

I have read a good few of LordNorbury's posts and although I obviously don't know him in person, he certainly doesn't strike me as someone who is homophobic. Perhaps he could have perhaps phrased things a little better on occasion, but he generally comes across as an articulate and open-minded individual.

He says that he doesn't particularly like camp behaviour and would try to stay away from someone who exhibits these traits. This to me is perfectly acceptable. My issue would be that this type of person, whether they be male, female, straight or gay, tend to be attention seekers and drama queens which would be a huge turnoff for me personally, irrespective of their sexual orientation. I have gay friends that are not like that at all and we get on very well.

I can understand some light teasing, if people even noticed (though really, it's 2014, they should get over it). There's a difference between saying "we'd tease our friend if he turned up with a manicure" and a blanket statement that "I'd have nothing in common with these people". If they're already a friend, then presumably you already have something in common with them. If they're a stranger, you've no idea whether you've anything in common until you've spoken. If I said I have no problem with other races, but wouldn't have them as friends because we'd have nothing in common, that would be both ridiculous and racist.

Similarly, blanket statements about gay people turning camp are equally silly. If "camp sounding" means gay, then Cork must be some kind of homosexual Mecca

OnTheCouch wrote: »

Thank you, my point in a nutshell...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

Its just not a big deal. I like well kept hands. Manicures are a big help to that and theres a lot more to it than just taking a nail scissors to the job. Get one if you want, dont if you dont. Its absolutely not un-masculine to get one.

(It must be exhausting having to evaluate whether everything you do is 'masculine' or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I doubt anyone would question this guy's masculinity.

ian-mccall.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well except for the tache! ;)

Don't see the problem with the masculinity thing. If a man is comfortable enough to get it done and feck the begrudgers, good luck to him and shows good confidence. The old cigarette stains on my nails get off putting every so often.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I doubt anyone would question this guy's masculinity.

ian-mccall.jpg

Why, who is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nail clippers every few days does the job for me, as long as my hands are clean and the nails are short its all good for me.

I keep the tops of the nail smooth with the clippers, anyone can do that it's not that hard to do.

Jeez I dunno, he looks pretty girly! Who is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Still doesn't alter the plain and simple fact that I have never heard of any guy I know using such a service. If I told any of my mates that I went to a nail salon to get my nails done, they would just ask me straight out to my face was I gay.

Doesn't make sense. I have gay friends who don't get manicures.

You don't get manicures. What are we supposed to think?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Can someone tell me what the hell sexuality has to do with nails? I GAURANTEE a guy with manicured nails (not painted, just groomed) will be more favourably looked upon by most women than a guy with grotty nails. I know nobody- man or woman- who can smooth nails as well as a manicurist. Yeah, you can use a scissors, or a nail clippers, but they well still look worse than getting it fone professionally. Who gives a damn how someone grooms, so long as they do?

Believe it or not there is another option between grotty and manicured, it involves cutting your own nails with a scissors and washing your hands. :eek:
    You ask who gives a damn how someone grooms as long as they do? Well women do apparently if the rest of your post is anything to go by!

If a guy wants to get a manicure then fire ahead I say. I can see why men in show-business or jobs where they are judged a lot by their appearance might want to do it more than the average guy. I'm sure it would be kind of interesting to get it done once, a bit like trying on a fancy hat in a posh shop.

I wouldn't judge a friend for doing it, I would probably laugh at him though. Definitely not something I'd do regularly however, seems to me rather pointless and impractical. Next time I need to do a bit of manual labour or want to go to the gym I don't want to be thinking, "Oh goodness, but what about my lovely manicure!?!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Well this escalated a bit :P

My hand and nails are tidy but I think they could look better. I ride horses, do a good bit of machanical work, sail, waterski and weightlift.

So....
    a) I think it seems like a really relaxing experience, who am I to deny myself the enjoyment :P
    and
    b)I have callouses from tools, reins, weightbars, ropes, little nick and cuts from engine bays, really dry from constant wet/dry, salt water, engine fluids etc and broken nails from various things. I work in an office so I think my hands take such a battering, getting them properly taken care of would probably make them look like normal hands :P

A manicure is a whole hand treatment rather than just nails, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yep. Its a lot more than a nail scissors job.
    Sympathise with you re the horseriding. Pretty impossible to keep the hands in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Well this escalated a bit :P

My hand and nails are tidy but I think they could look better. I ride horses, do a good bit of machanical work, sail, waterski and weightlift.

So....
    a) I think it seems like a really relaxing experience, who am I to deny myself the enjoyment :P
    and
    b)I have callouses from tools, reins, weightbars, ropes, little nick and cuts from engine bays, really dry from constant wet/dry, salt water, engine fluids etc and broken nails from various things. I work in an office so I think my hands take such a battering, getting them properly taken care of would probably make them look like normal hands :P

A manicure is a whole hand treatment rather than just nails, yeah?

You pay a little more and you can get a hand scrub, massage and masque as well as nail stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

pwurple wrote: »
    Jeez I dunno, he looks pretty girly! Who is that?

Ian McCall. He's an MMA fighter. Fairly well ranked too. I thought the "MMAjunkie" written in the bottom would be a hint.

Advertisement