Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man-icure

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Candie wrote: »
    Ah, cross dressing and prancing. Both essential components of a manicure and central to the question posed in the OP. Oh, wait...

I think you and your friends ought to use some kind of metric that matters to judge on what basis a person does or doesn't deserve respect.

Some guys on here find the idea of a guy going to a nail salon for a manicure, to be somewhat ridiculous and silly. I reckon you'd struggle to find a guy who would consider it normal and who wouldn't pass remark upon it.

Some guys on here find the idea of a guy going to a nail salon for a manicure, to be somewhat ridiculous and silly. I reckon you'd struggle to find a guy who would consider it normal and who wouldn't pass remark upon it.

I guess it all depends on the people you ask. In the US it's commonplace. Since there's nothing wrong with it, and it's a harmless, pleasant experience, I'd wonder why it provokes such a reaction in some other men. A very disproportionate reaction. The Op says:
    My hand are generally fairly battered, my nails have that awesome hacked off look.

And he just wants to get it sorted. No big deal, you'd think.

What a shame in the 21st century that there are still men who cling to such narrow definitions of masculine behaviour. It's almost like they're threatened by anything they feel is outside what they personally feel comfortable with.

I guess it all depends on the people you ask. In the US it's commonplace. Since there's nothing wrong with it, and it's a harmless, pleasant experience, I'd wonder why it provokes such a reaction in some other men. A very disproportionate reaction. The Op says:

And he just wants to get it sorted. No big deal, you'd think.

What a shame in the 21st century that there are still men who cling to such narrow definitions of masculine behaviour. It's almost like they're threatened by anything they feel is outside what they personally feel comfortable with.

I'm not threatened in the slightest, I've just simply communicated how I feel about it, I don't agree with it. A lot of the time, these trends are completely driven by a selfish and often subtle commercial agenda, in particular I recall when David Beckham was exploring the whole thing of men wearing make up when out on the town, trying to see if it would catch on as a fashion trend, in tandem with the cosmetics industry, as it happened it didn't catch on as men just didn't buy it. There is no such commercial agenda here but it sounds silly to me to suggest that men should go to a nail salon to take care of their nails when there is no meed to do so. Men don't wear nail varnish, they don't maintain their nails to anywhere near the same standard as women, so why not do what every other guy does and look after your nails yourself? It's just part of your everyday grooming, why would you feel the need to outsource that exercise to a woman's nail salon?

EDIT: Men are entitled to hold as narrow (or as wide) a view as they like as to what constitutes normal male/masculine behaviour. I'm completely free to say that I find men wearing handbags, or men going to nail salons, or men wearing make up, to be men demonstrating feminine behaviour. Same goes for women being free to comment on women btw...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm not threatened in the slightest, I've just simply communicated how I feel about it, I don't agree with it. A lot of the time, these trends are completely driven by a selfish and often subtle commercial agenda, in particular I recall when David Beckham was exploring the whole thing of men wearing make up when out on the town, trying to see if it would catch on as a fashion trend, in tandem with the cosmetics industry, as it happened it didn't catch on as men just didn't buy it. There is no such commercial agenda here but it sounds silly to me to suggest that men should go to a nail salon to take care of their nails when there is no meed to do so. Men don't wear nail varnish, they don't maintain their nails to anywhere near the same standard as women, so why not do what every other guy does and look after your nails yourself? It's just part of your everyday grooming, why would you feel the need to outsource that exercise to a woman's nail salon?

EDIT: Men are entitled to hold as narrow (or as wide) a view as they like as to what constitutes normal male/masculine behaviour. I'm completely free to say that I find men wearing handbags, or men going to nail salons, or men wearing make up, to be men demonstrating feminine behaviour. Same goes for women being free to comment on women btw...
    There's no such thing as a woman's nail salon.

There's no need for women to visit such places either, but they do. A man may go to get a manicure for the exact same reason you may go to an expensive barbers for a straight razor shave. You don't need to, you just want to.

There's no such thing as a woman's nail salon.

In theory there isn't but I think in practice there actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I'd do it if I had the balls, would probably prefer to go to Dublin rather than the local town though. I know that's wrong but I just wouldn't feel comfortable being seen.

In theory there isn't but I think in practice there actually is.

Except there isn't.

Except there isn't.

Well I've never seen a man going into a nail salon to have his nails done, I've never heard of a man going into a nail salon to have his nails done until I read this thread today, so that's what I'm going on and that is good enough for me. if you happen to have a different frame of reference, then more power to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Can someone tell me what the hell sexuality has to do with nails? I GAURANTEE a guy with manicured nails (not painted, just groomed) will be more favourably looked upon by most women than a guy with grotty nails. I know nobody- man or woman- who can smooth nails as well as a manicurist. Yeah, you can use a scissors, or a nail clippers, but they well still look worse than getting it fone professionally. Who gives a damn how someone grooms, so long as they do?

Can someone tell me what the hell sexuality has to do with nails? I GAURANTEE a guy with manicured nails (not painted, just groomed) will be more favourably looked upon by most women than a guy with grotty nails. I know nobody- man or woman- who can smooth nails as well as a manicurist. Yeah, you can use a scissors, or a nail clippers, but they well still look worse than getting it fone professionally. Who gives a damn how someone grooms, so long as they do?

It's fairly obvious that clean nails are a substantially better reflection of someone than dirty nails, a guy doesn't need to go to a nail salon to get that result, he just needs to wash himself daily.

• Advertisement

Well I've never seen a man going into a nail salon to have his nails done, I've never heard of a man going into a nail salon to have his nails done until I read this thread today, so that's what I'm going on and that is good enough for me. if you happen to have a different frame of reference, then more power to ya!

Oh wow, you haven't seen it so it must never happen. Well done you.

Here you go...

http://www.thegroomingrooms.com/

Pedicures, manicures, facials, waxing, massages. JUST. FOR. MEN. All in the heart of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Yeah I do.

I have trouble making any distinction between a guy going for a manicure to get his nails done, and deciding that he wants to go out wearing make up. In either case, I wouldn't be going out for a pint with a mate if he started acting like this, that is genuinely how I feel about the subject, I'm not homophobic, I'm very much live and let live, but I do not have any gay friends and that is my choice and I am entitled to make that choice.

So you are homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

My housemate does mine every week. It's helped me to stop biting them although this last few days I have had a nibble!

They look awesome afterwards and I tend not to bite at all.

Ignore the begrudgers op and get em done!!

Oh wow, you haven't seen it so it must never happen. Well done you.

Here you go...

http://www.thegroomingrooms.com/

Pedicures, manicures, facials, waxing, massages. JUST. FOR. MEN. All in the heart of Dublin.

Still doesn't alter the plain and simple fact that I have never heard of any guy I know using such a service. If I told any of my mates that I went to a nail salon to get my nails done, they would just ask me straight out to my face was I gay.

Still doesn't alter the plain and simple fact that I have never heard of any guy I know using such a service.

I'm not sure what your point is. The world is bigger than your social circle, and clearly plenty of men do avail of such of service if there are establishments providing it specifically for men alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

And here I thought we're living in a modern respectful society. Oh wait...

OP there's no shame in going for a manicure, don't mind the mean comments. I don't know where you live but any nail bar and/or beauty salon should do it without questioning your idea. Lots of beauty salons in Dublin have treatments for men. I went for a massage recently and the girl told me they have enough men coming and not only for massages. And no, they all aren't gay or metrosexual. I wouldn't want my man to spend more time in front of the mirror than I do but I do like it when men are groomed. All my female friends agree. On nice hands especially. If you feel like your hands could do with a special care (because there actually is a lot more involved in manicure than just nail clipping) go and get it done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

frag420 wrote: »
    My housemate does mine every week. It's helped me to stop biting them although this last few days I have had a nibble!

They look awesome afterwards and I tend not to bite at all.

Ignore the begrudgers op and get em done!!

Did it really help you stop biting your nails? I'd love if my bf got rid of that habit but I don't know how to go about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Well, I've never seen a man throw such an almighty hissy fit over someone else's grooming until I read this thread today, but here we are. In comparison, your standard main street unisex beauty salon fades into insignificance.

Still doesn't alter the plain and simple fact that I have never heard of any guy I know using such a service. If I told any of my mates that I went to a nail salon to get my nails done, they would just ask me straight out to my face was I gay.

And?

So you are homophobic.

I've already clarified that I am not homophobic, please go back and read where I said I have no issue with gay people getting married and being gay if they want to be gay. I've already clarified that I believe in live and let life, but I choose not to maintain friendships with gay men as I find this completely separate 'camp' persona that gay men often emulate, to be somewhat false and pretentious and I question why gay men often feel the need to adopt this completely alternative and obviously false persona, for the purposes of expressing their sexuality. Variations of this adopted persona often include the selective adoption and taking up, of other feminine norms, such as wearing manbags/handbags, wearing make up, going to nail salons, etc. I don't accept these things as normal male behaviour, and this is completely independent of someone's sexuality I should add.

To be fair to the OP and everyone on thread, this discussion is for a different thread, if anyone wants to start one, I'll discuss it there, otherwise I've said all I wish to say on this subject.

• Advertisement

I've already clarified that I am not homophobic, please go back and read where I said I have no issue with gay people getting married and being gay if they want to be gay. I've already clarified that I believe in live and let life, but I choose not to maintain friendships with gay men as I find this completely separate 'camp' persona that gay men often emulate, to be somewhat false and pretentious and I question why gay men often feel the need to adopt this completely alternative and obviously false persona, for the purposes of expressing their sexuality. Variations of this adopted persona often include the selective adoption and taking up, of other feminine norms, such as wearing manbags/handbags, wearing make up, going to nail salons, etc. I don't accept these things as normal male behaviour, and this is completely independent of someone's sexuality I should add.

To be fair to the OP and everyone on thread, this discussion is for a different thread, if anyone wants to start one, I'll discuss it there, otherwise I've said all I wish to say on this subject.

You do realise not all gay men are camp?

Honestly, you do seem to have a very narrow minded view of gay men. I suggest a visit to a gay bar, you may be surprised by the clientele.

You do realise not all gay men are camp?

Honestly, you do seem to have a very narrow minded view of gay men. I suggest a visit to a gay bar, you may be surprised by the clientele.

As I've said, if you want to discuss the completely separate subject of how straight men perceive gay men, and friendships, etc that are pertaining to the same subject, it's for another thread.

EDIT: I've often been in gay bars and the vast majority of the men there I've seen are camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

czechlin wrote: »
    Did it really help you stop biting your nails? I'd love if my bf got rid of that habit but I don't know how to go about it :(

Yrs and no. I do have the odd nibble when stressed but nowhere near as bad as I used to!! It's defo worth a shot!!

As I've said, if you want to discuss the completely separate subject of how straight men perceive gay men, and friendships, etc that are pertaining to the same subject, it's for another thread.

EDIT: I've often been in gay bars and the vast majority of the men there I've seen are camp.

You're the one who brought sexuality into a discussion about grooming.

It's not up to you to decide what "normal male behavior" is, and sexuality is clearly an issue for you. Choosing not to maintain friendships with gay people is completely homophobic and any claim to the contrary is ridiculous. Have a chat with yourself.

It's not up to you to decide what "normal male behavior" is, and sexuality is clearly an issue for you. Choosing not to maintain friendships with gay people is completely homophobic and any claim to the contrary is ridiculous. Have a chat with yourself.

I am free to define what I consider to be normal masculine behavior, insofar as what I perceive that to be. If that just so happens to not align itself with what you consider to normal masculine behaviour, then that doesn't make me homophobic I'm afraid.

I am free to define what I consider to be normal masculine behavior, insofar as what I perceive that to be. If that just so happens to not align itself with what you consider to normal masculine behaviour, then that doesn't make me homophobic I'm afraid.

Genuine question. If one of your long time friends told you he was gay tomorrow, would you decide you could no longer be friends with him?

Genuine question. If one of your long time friends told you he was gay tomorrow, would you decide you could no longer be friends with him?

Genuine answer:

I would have absolutely no issue with it but if he started turning into a woman, and started wearing hand bags and started wearing make up,and started going to nail salons, and this whole other separate feminine persona started to emerge, and the personality that I previously knew as my mate, a personality I would have warmed to, would then to my mind, have been shadowed by this separate false persona, then no, I wouldn't want to maintain a friendship with him.

If however, he turned around one day and said he was gay but his personality that I had known to like and become friends with, remained unchanged, and he basically remained the same person, with the exception of his sexuality having changed, then I would have absolutely no problem remaining friends with him.

I've often been in gay bars

Hang on a minute...So, you don't have gay friends. You don't want any gay friends. You'd dump a friend who had a manicure because it's 'gay'. You don't feel comfortable around camp gay men...

But you've often been in gay bars?

It begs questions.

• Advertisement

Hang on a minute...So, you don't have gay friends. You don't want any gay friends. You'd dump a friend who had a manicure because it's 'gay'. You don't feel comfortable around camp gay men...

But you've often been in gay bars?

It begs questions.

I don't think it's too complicated really, I used to go out with a girl who had a gay friend and we'd often have gone into a bar in the city that is known as a gay friendly bar, I had no issue with it whatsoever. I used to work in a large company and I worked with guys who were gay and we went into the same bar on a work night out, the whole team, again, I had no issue with doing that, because I'm not homophobic, I don't see how that begs any questions to be honest with you.

Advertisement