Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man-icure

Options
  • 24-07-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

My hand are generally fairly battered, my nails have that awesome hacked off look.

I've always thought the idea of a manicure(obviously without nail painting etc) sounded really relaxing but wouldn't know how to go about getting one, being male.

I understand it's something that's getting more common, has anyone here tried it??

Comments

elusiveguy wrote: »
    My hand are generally fairly battered, my nails have that awesome hacked off look.

I've always thought the idea of a manicure(obviously without nail painting etc) sounded really relaxing but wouldn't know how to go about getting one, being male.

I understand it's something that's getting more common, has anyone here tried it??

Any salon will do a manicure for you, especially the dedicated nail salons. No one will bat an eye at a man coming in. I've been for manicures with my male friend - yes, he's straight. No one cared or even seemed to notice.

Go get yourself buffed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Walk into the nearest nail bar and get it done ..
    Any nail bar worth its weight in salt and good customer service won't bat an eyelid at your request

And its decent ,must get mime done soon..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its fairly common to get done in America. All you need to go to is a place that does manicures and not bother with the polish. Im in Germany and its extremely common to see Turks with their eyebrows dyed and plucked. But that is uncommon in non-turks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Men getting their nails done, seriously?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Privileged White Male

Men getting their nails done, seriously?!?

Thought I was in the ladies' lounge for a second. Guess all the metros are getting their nails done these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

To be honest a guy with nicely shaped nails is very attractive no girl wants a guy with nails with jagged edges going anywhere near any sensitive areas

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

LittleFox wrote: »
    To be honest a guy with nicely shaped nails is very attractive no girl wants a guy with nails with jagged edges going anywhere near any sensitive areas

Can that not be achieved without manicures, etc?

I'd keep my nails fairly neat and tidy, anyway. I get irritated looking at them if I even think they are remotely too long, or jagged, etc. But I've never felt the need to 'get them done'.

Each to their own, I suppose. I don't think I'd laugh at a mate for doing it, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Yeah I suppose putting a hand with jagged nails might disrupt something in her handbag.

There is a device known as a scissors that allows you to achieve those kind of results in the comfort of your own home.

But that way you don't get to show off your new manbag down at the nail salon I guess.

I think the vast majority of all men I know are able to maintain their nails without having to go to a nail salon though! :confused:

• Advertisement

There is a device known as a scissors that allows you to achieve those kind of results in the comfort of your own home.

But that way you don't get to show off your new manbag down at the nail salon I guess.

You could also cut your own hair with a scissors at home, but it's commonly accepted that a salon or barber would do a better job. Why is that ok but getting your hands sorted at a salon worthy of a good sneer?

Nails are no different, and the op thought it might be relaxing. Let him get his nails and hands sorted and enjoy the experience, it's got nothing to do with anything or anyone else.

Candie wrote: »
    You could also cut your own hair with a scissors at home, but it's commonly accepted that a salon or barber would do a better job. Why is that ok but getting your hands sorted at a salon worthy of a good sneer?

Nails are no different, and the op thought it might be relaxing. Let him get his nails and hands sorted and enjoy the experience, it's got nothing to do with anything or anyone else.

There is a skill involved in cutting someone's hair, it is hard to cut your own hair evenly if you decided to go at it yourself. Men generally don't decorate their nails to improve their appearance, like women do, it's just a convention, like wearing make up, women do, men don't. I think the idea of a straight man going to a nail salon to get his nails done, is quite frankly, ridiculous, I'd have the same view if a mate of mine decided he wanted to start putting on mascara and lipstick before going out for a pint with me, I wouldn't put up with it. There is this drive lately to take offence when someone like me says what I have just said, that I should not be offended or taken aback when a straight man wants to start behaving like a woman.

There is a skill involved in cutting someone's hair, it is hard to cut your own hair evenly if you decided to go at it yourself. Men generally don't decorate their nails to improve their appearance, like women do, it's just a convention, like wearing make up, women do, men don't. I think the idea of a straight man going to a nail salon to get his nails done, is quite frankly, ridiculous, I'd have the same view if a mate of mine decided he wanted to start putting on mascara and lipstick before going out for a pint with me, I wouldn't put up with it. There is this drive lately to take offence when someone like me says what I have just said, that I should not be offended or taken aback when a straight man wants to start behaving like a woman.

Back in the dark ages, men didn't get their hair cut professionally either. Real me - like you, obviously - put a pudding bowl on their heads and had at it.

A manicurist is skilled in dealing with rough skin, callouses, cuticles and hang nails and can leave rough looking claws looking like new. It's not behaving like a woman to get your hands done, anymore than it's emasculating to get your hair cut by a hairdresser.

You can be as taken aback and as judgy as you want, it still doesn't make it wrong. I don't think anyone is offended when they hear opinions like yours, they just wonder if they got the decade right and if it's still the '80s.

I'm neither a man nor a manicurist btw.

Back in the dark ages, men didn't get their hair cut professionally either. Real me - like you, obviously - put a pudding bowl on their heads and had at it.

A manicurist is skilled in dealing with rough skin, callouses, cuticles and hang nails and can leave rough looking claws looking like new. It's not behaving like a woman to get your hands done, anymore than it's emasculating to get your hair cut by a hairdresser.

You can be as taken aback and as judgy as you want, it still doesn't make it wrong. I don't think anyone is offended when they hear opinions like yours, they just wonder if they got the decade right and if it's still the '80s.

I'm neither a man nor a manicurist btw.

I don't see what the problem is advising the OP though that if he is straight and wants to sort his nails out, that he can't take care of it himself... Get a nail file and a scissors, simple...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've never gone to a professional for a manicure, but I did have an ex who was particular bored one evening and decided for me that she was going to give me a manicure.

TBH, I'm not sure men realise the level of detail that goes into one, I certainly didn't, and was amazed at the results. My hands simply looked fabulous! :pac:

I don't see what the problem is advising the OP though that if he is straight and wants to sort his nails out, that he can't take care of it himself... Get a nail file and a scissors, simple...

You're doing more than offering advice, you're pouring scorn on the whole idea and questioning his masculinity. He mentioned he thought it looked relaxing and wanted to try it. Big deal, leave him at it.

You came out with :
    I'd have the same view if a mate of mine decided he wanted to start putting on mascara and lipstick before going out for a pint with me, I wouldn't put up with it.

Which quite frankly isn't advice, and sounds a little sinister.

You're doing more than offering advice, you're pouring scorn on the whole idea and questioning his masculinity. He mentioned he thought it looked relaxing and wanted to try it. Big deal, leave him at it.

You came out with :

Which quite frankly isn't advice, and sounds a little sinister.

Can't understand what is 'sinister' about suggesting to a guy that if he wants to sort his nails out that he does what practically every other guy on earth does and takes care of them himself. How on earth is that sinister?

Can't understand what is 'sinister' about suggesting to a guy that if he wants to sort his nails out that he does what practically every other guy on earth does and takes care of them himself. How on earth is that sinister?

What I quoted is a bit sinister. You equate a man getting a manicure with wearing makeup to go out for a pint and you said
    I wouldn't put up with it.

So what does that mean? You'd dump him as a friend for getting a manicure?

What I quoted is a bit sinister. You equate a man getting a manicure with wearing makeup to go out for a pint and you said

Yeah I do.
    So what does that mean? You'd dump him as a friend for getting a manicure?

I have trouble making any distinction between a guy going for a manicure to get his nails done, and deciding that he wants to go out wearing make up. In either case, I wouldn't be going out for a pint with a mate if he started acting like this, that is genuinely how I feel about the subject, I'm not homophobic, I'm very much live and let live, but I do not have any gay friends and that is my choice and I am entitled to make that choice.

Yeah I do.

I have trouble making any distinction between a guy going for a manicure to get his nails done, and deciding that he wants to go out wearing make up. In either case, I wouldn't be going out for a pint with a mate if he started acting like this, that is genuinely how I feel about the subject, I'm not homophobic, I'm very much live and let live, but I do not have any gay friends and that is my choice and I am entitled to make that choice.

You certainly are.

But if I said that I had no black friends and that is my choice and that I wouldn't be friends with someone if I found out they were black, then I don't think I could reasonably describe myself as not racist.

• Advertisement

Yeah I do.

lol, I'm not homophobic but....

Classic.

lol, I'm not homophobic but....

Classic.

What a silly remark, I don't have any gay friends, it's just not my thing and that is my right to make that choice, however I fully respect someones right to be gay.

You certainly are.

But if I said that I had no black friends and that is my choice and that I wouldn't be friends with someone if I found out they were black, then I don't think I could reasonably describe myself as not racist.

We aren't discussing someones race here, we are talking about a guy who is suffering with jagged nails or whatever and wants to sort that out, how come the 3.5 billion men on the planet can do this without having to go to a nail salon that are exclusively used by women? What is wrong with saying that the way a guy should sort this issue out is to do what all other men do and sort it out themselves? What is the problem with saying that?

What a silly remark, I don't have any gay friends, it's just not my thing and that is my right to make that choice, however I fully respect someones right to be gay.

Just the fact that you've made a conscious decision not to have gay friends clearly highlights that you have an issue with homosexuality in general. Does it mean you're a homophobe? Hmm, not necessarily, maybe you're afraid you'll like having a gay friend too much? :D

Let him wear a dress and prance on down to the nail salon if he wants. No way I or any of the men I know could respect him if did though.

Just the fact that you've made a conscious decision not to have gay friends clearly highlights that you have an issue with homosexuality in general. Does it mean you're a homophobe? Hmm, not necessarily, maybe you're afraid you'll like having a gay friend too much? :D

No, maybe I need to explain this a bit better, although it is nothing to do with what we are meant to be discussing here... I have worked with gay men and know several, those that I know have an extremely feminine or what is known as a 'camp' persona, that I just can't identify with, that I would find hard to relate to. I am not intimidated by such men, I have no issue with such men, but would I go out for a pint with a camp gay lad and maintain a friendship with one, no, because we would not have anything in common.

I believe gay people should enjoy all the rights that the rest of us have, including marriage. But I do think rather traditionally that men should act like men and women should act like women. I have never understood why gay men for some reason, decide at a certain point in their lives, to start acting like and presenting themselves as women and take on what is basically a completely separate feminine persona, as an expression of their sexuality.

My confusion in that regard extends to the current subject, why can't a guy who wants to maintain his nails, do it himself? It's a fair question I think. Men do not maintain their nails like women do, they do not maintain their nails to improve their appearance. Not that long ago, the cosmetic industry were trying to get David Beckham to start pushing the idea that men could start wearing make up, I think that is a ridiculous departure and I've no problem saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am not a person who is into beauty treatments, but I get a very odd manicure to tidy up the nails. I don't think some men realise what it involves and how much it can improve the appearance of your hands and I do notice nicely kept hands on a man (even some farmers maintain them well.).

Just asked the OH would he get one and he said it'd be no harm :)

No, maybe I need to explain this a bit better, although it is nothing to do with what we are meant to be discussing here... I have worked with gay men and know several, those that I know have an extremely feminine or what is known as a 'camp' persona, that I just can't identify with, that I would find hard to relate to. I am not intimidated by such men, I have no issue with such men, but would I go out for a pint with a camp gay lad and maintain a friendship with one, no, because we would not have anything in common.

I believe gay people should enjoy all the rights that the rest of us have, including marriage. But I do think rather traditionally that men should act like men and women should act like women. I have never understood why gay men for some reason, decide at a certain point in their lives, to start acting like and presenting themselves as women and take on what is basically a completely separate feminine persona, as an expression of their sexuality.

My confusion in that regard extends to the current subject, why can't a guy who wants to maintain his nails, do it himself? It's a fair question I think. Men do not maintain their nails like women do, they do not maintain their nails to improve their appearance. Not that long ago, the cosmetic industry were trying to get David Beckham to start pushing the idea that men could start wearing make up, I think that is a ridiculous departure and I've no problem saying it.

You disgusting sexist homophobe, how dare you express an opinion of your own. Don't you know race and gender don't exist and we're all the same?

Seriously though, I agree with everything you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

. I am not intimidated by such men, I have no issue with such men, but would I go out for a pint with a camp gay lad and maintain a friendship with one, no, because we would not have anything in common.

How would you know? What if it's a colleague, who follows the same football teams as you, and enjoys reading the same books/playing the same video games that you do, and enjoys the same films that you like?

Anyway, OP, if your nails are broken right down to the quick, see if you can give it a few days or a week to let them grow a tiny bit so that they have somewhere to file them back to - it will be more comfortable that way.

• Advertisement

Let him wear a dress and prance on down to the nail salon if he wants. No way I or any of the men I know could respect him if did though.

Ah, cross dressing and prancing. Both essential components of a manicure and central to the question posed in the OP. Oh, wait...

I think you and your friends ought to use some kind of metric that matters to judge on what basis a person does or doesn't deserve respect.

Advertisement