Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah lads, this heat is taking the piss.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I have my air con set to have my room at 24c at night in summer here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I am pie wrote: »
    I have my air con set to have my room at 24c at night in summer here.

An air conditioner keeps the relative humdity level at something like 40-50% which makes that ideal sleeping conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The people moaning about the heat will be the same folk moaning about the cold come November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I was talking to a Ber inspector earlier today, he said the level of insulation and build quality in some homes built over the last 10 years are so bad they need to invent new letters in the alphabet to mark their Ber value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The people moaning about the heat will be the same folk moaning about the cold come November.

Why do people always say this? Some people prefer different weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

No one finds it funny, all the people moaning about people moaning? Just me then.

I prefer the cold, therefore I prefer winter, I don't see why people have such a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Exactly. their whole lives are a constant moan.!!
    They should p##s off and live in Alaska.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

EazyD wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that anyone would prefer cold, rainy, miserable weather than what we have now. Y'know, it being summertime and all that.

We just want it to be the perfect balance :o

My apartment is always hotter than outside on days like this, it's 30degrees, tell me how I'm supposed to be getting anything done in that humidity, my brain doesn't function in the heat. We're due a bit of rain here the next couple of days and I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

washman3 wrote: »
    Exactly. their whole lives are a constant moan.!!
    They should p##s off and live in Alaska.
    Good ole Irish begrudgery alive and well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I won't. I love cold weather. I'd sooner go for a long walk on a cold, blustery day in the middle of November than on a day like this. With the right kind of clothes, winter is perfectly pleasant. On a day like today, the 'right kind of clothes' would probably result being arrested for indecent exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I wouldn't mind but it's not even sunny where I am. It's ****ing overcast and humid. Rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I want to sleep with my window open but my scumbag neighbours smoke weed in their garden all night. So I can either boil to death or choke to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Love hot weather. Hate humidity. Hate not sleeping because of it. I'm a grumpy bastard when I don't get at least 7 and a half hours of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I want to sleep with my window open but my scumbag neighbours smoke weed in their garden all night. So I can either boil to death or choke to death.

I have cats jumping in mine. Woke up one morning to the sound of a cat trying to jump back onto the windowsill but the curtains were preventing it so it made a right racket on my laminated floorboards.

I do not like the heat, only so much clothes I can take off, and I am pretty much wearing shorts and a tshirt all year round. No complaints about the cold, during winter (or any other time from me) might throw on a hoodie if I am feeling the cold a bit more than usual.

The heat is a bastard, but this "outside" thing can be nice to look at, in all this sunshine stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I feel sorry for my poor elderly shih-Tzu. She is huffing and puffing. I shaved her almost bald and gave her a bath but she is still hot. I directed the fan at her but she doesn't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I don't mind warm/hot weather like we had a few weeks back where it was cool at night. But the humidity at night is not pleasant. I fill up my hot water bottle with cold water and put it in the bed. Keeps the water cold like it keeps hot weather hot so I stay nice and cool! Slept grand last night actually!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I don't mind warm/hot weather like we had a few weeks back where it was cool at night. But the humidity at night is not pleasant. I fill up my hot water bottle with cold water and put it in the bed. Keeps the water cold like it keeps hot weather hot so I stay nice and cool! Slept grand last night actually!:D

Ah sure but at least we're not using up the turf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am so over this. Last week I had a cold, on top of everything else. My neck sweated ALL WEEK. This week my hair smells even though I wash it twice a day. In fairness, I have so much hair it's like carrying a yeti around on my head, but it's still miserable. Last night I tried sleeping at the top of the stairs, because there's more ventilation than in my room. Shouldn't have bought that sisal carpet, it's like being cheese grated. I am Irish, from peasant, mountainous folk. People who never had anything but the odd fire in the middle of winter. I have the sort of internal combustion system that means I am comfortable enough at 0 degrees.

This sucks!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

My body just cant handle the heat and never could! And ive been in 43 degree weather and it was similar to how I felt today. Had to do a good bit of walking today, and I must have sweat out a person by the time I was done. It was disgusting. I want the cold back. I love when its cold! And its the humidity and when I have to go out to do something that its unberable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Menopause?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The air conditioning in work has been close to useless, even though it's been on. There's two units for a large, open plan office. Yesterday was just about tolerable. Today was taking the piss, despite having one of those portable fans on on my desk. I'm sitting with the curtains pulled over, and it's still far too warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Menopause?

Don't know if referring to me, or someone else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The humidity is a nightmare. It's oppressive. I can't remember the last good nights sleep I had and washing the dishes earlier on the sweat was running down my neck and back. If I blow dry my hair in the morning I'm sweating before I leave the house. Living in hotter countries means that they are better equipped for it, with air conditioning as standard in most public areas and a lot more homes than you'd find it in in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

All that's left of me now is a pair of specs in a puddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I've a huge fan that runs pretty much constantly when I'm home or sleeping. Work has pretty decent air conditioning, as indeed does most places indoors. Its the walking around that's the killer - absolute murder. Ought to be illegal to have to work on days like this. Cant even imagine what it's like for people who need to work outdoors in crap like this.

I was just thinking today how great it would be to have a real ice cold wind cutting in with pretty much horizontal sheets of rain. I mean, I'm soaked anyway - might as well be cool.

No, I really wont. I love the cold.

The most wonderful weather is those rare days when the sun is shining, but its dry and there's a nice cold wind to keep things fresh. That is wonderful weather, but sadly all too rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

In 6 months time we'll be shivering like fook, cursing the wind, rain, cold, dark, ice etc. there's no pleasing people in this country! I for one am enjoying this weather because national sunglasses day coincides with national no bra day! My new hobby is counting the smuggling of the peanuts! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

The heat is taking the piss? By evaporation?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The humidity isn't as bad as it was at least... I actually lit the fire last night in an attempt to make the air in the house dryer

It didn't work :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I feel sorry for my poor elderly shih-Tzu. She is huffing and puffing. I shaved her almost bald and gave her a bath but she is still hot. I directed the fan at her but she doesn't like it.

Isn't panting what dogs do to regulate their temperature, in the same way as we sweat?

Advertisement