Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Wallace and Clare Daly reportedly arrested at Shannon airport.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Scarecrow was apparently in a Courtown ale house yesterday. He reminds me of how FF were in the day, immerse yourself into the voting public, get down to the common mans level.

So he isn't allowed to go for a pint now? Would you ever cop yourself on - he is a 'so-called' common man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The Scarecrow was apparently in a Courtown ale house yesterday. He reminds me of how FF were in the day, immerse yourself into the voting public, get down to the common mans level.

Whats the problem with someone, man, woman, TD/Binman/cook/whatever going for a drink in an 'alehouse' :confused:

Wasn't so long ago people on this site were defending Pat Rabbites decision to go for a pint when he was subjected to heckling. (i defended him myself)

Jebus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Whats the problem with someone, man, woman, TD/Binman/cook/whatever going for a drink in an 'alehouse' :confused:

Wasn't so long ago people on this site were defending Pat Rabbites decision to go for a pint when he was subjected to heckling. (i defended him myself)

Jebus.

run rabbitte run rabbitte run run run!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What a bitter statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

jjbrien wrote: »
    What does this have to do with the topic of this thread? This is about Mick Wallace and Claire Daily jumping the fence and breaking into Shannon airport. Weather some people think they were right or like myself thinking they were wrong. Can we get back on topic please?

I Was wondering where a previous poster got, boarder control had to be run by Irish people only. As we are in the EU.
    I believe there are certain exemptions to that, at the top of the list being the security services. A citizenship requirement at least is required for many positions. (If not exclusive citizenship) This is not unique to the EU, it's one of he few exceptions to the Constitution applying to foreigners in the US as well: Discrimination in hiring is legal in such cases.

Fair enough, But is it citizenship of the EU in the EU or of the country you are in E.g France and so on. As if it's EU citizen the guys in the example from eastern Europe would be fine working here in customs in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Do Wallace and Daly claim their allowance for purchasing clothes to be used during their work as public representatives? Because they both look like they dress from the final reduction bin at a charity shop. I'd say they stink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Do Wallace and Daly claim their allowance for purchasing clothes to be used during their work as public representatives? Because they both look like they dress from the final reduction bin at a charity shop. I'd say they stink.

I hear Ivor Callelly tops up his clothing allowance by fiddling his mobile phone one, but he's well dressed so what harm.

At least they dont stink of corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Satriale wrote: »
    I hear Ivor Callelly tops up his clothing allowance by fiddling his mobile phone one, but he's well dressed so what harm.

At least they dont stink of corruption.

Their flagrant disregard for the dress code comes across as petulant. If wearing a gold ear ring and a pink polo shirt is 'sticking it to the man' then I despair. Jesus, even a nerd working in a computer game shop has a uniform. Wallace is just a bit of a thicko with a neck like a jockey's bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Wallace is just a bit of a thicko with a neck like a jockey's bollocks.

While i agree with the above, many of this country's problems have stemmed from the well dressed and perfumed.

This "scruffy"/ "smelly" sh1te is a red herring that smacks of "i have no argument".

I can remember far more well dressed crooked politicians than i can "scruffy" ones.

Charvet shirts anyone...

Satriale wrote: »
    While i agree with the above, many of this country's problems have stemmed from the well dressed and perfumed.

This "scruffy"/ "smelly" sh1te is a red herring that smacks of "i have no argument".

I can remember far more well dressed crooked politicians than i can "scruffy" ones.

Charvet shirts anyone...

TBH I think most people are thinking how they represent us to the wider international community. I would rather have elected officials wearing a suit, than turning up in a tracksuit to meet other elected officials.

• Advertisement

Their flagrant disregard for the dress code comes across as petulant. If wearing a gold ear ring and a pink polo shirt is 'sticking it to the man' then I despair. Jesus, even a nerd working in a computer game shop has a uniform. Wallace is just a bit of a thicko with a neck like a jockey's bollocks.

Personally, I and (judging by the locals and European elections) many more couldn't care less what an elected officials appearance is like, once they do the job they were elected to do (represent their community).

What exactly is the 'dress code' for the Dail, because if Wallace, Ming etc have ever broke this 'code' how come they've never faced any action?

Aside from that, it was some what satisfying to see a 'scruffy thicko, with a jockey's bollox neck' emerge to ultimately (albeit unwittingly initially) be the downfall of a man, always dressed immaculately, educated in law to the host level, spoke impeccably.

That was some (pardon the pun) sweet justice.

Mick Wallace is guaranteed to be re elected on the back of that alone, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

TBH I think most people are thinking how they represent us to the wider international community. I would rather have elected officials wearing a suit, than turning up in a tracksuit to meet other elected officials.

I was watching the news about Luke Ming Flanagan setting in, in Brussels he was going around the EU parliment in a T-Shirt and Jeans looked really scruffy so now the international community has seen one of these guys up close.

jjbrien wrote: »
    I was watching the news about Luke Ming Flanagan setting in, in Brussels he was going around the EU parliment in a T-Shirt and Jeans looked really scruffy so now the international community has seen one of these guys up close.

Who cares so long as he works to the best of his ability, and in the best interests of the country?

Was there not a Scottish fella in a kilt?

Seriously. Some people are looking for any old reason for a whinge.

Who cares so long as he works to the best of his ability, and in the best interests of the country?

Was there not a Scottish fella in a kilt?

Seriously. Some people are looking for any old reason for a whinge.

There is a dress code in most jobs private sector, If you meet the public you generally wear smart clothing. That's what people expect. Would you listen to anything your bank manager was saying for example if he was wearing a scanger tracksuit ? Same with loads of private sector jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

There is a dress code in most jobs private sector, If you meet the public you generally wear smart clothing. That's what people expect. Would you listen to anything your bank manager was saying for example if he was wearing a scanger tracksuit ? Same with loads of private sector jobs.
    His dress demonstrates the total lack of respect he has for the country, the institution, our votes and the salary we pay him. If he worked for any other employer he would have been out on his ear in an hour.

I think you have an inflated opinion of Ireland's place in the International community and I'm sure the few that know of Ireland existence apart from St.Patty's Day and boom, boom IRA, could care less about the dress sense of Mick Wallace and friends.

Piliger wrote: »
    His dress demonstrates the total lack of respect he has for the country, the institution, our votes and the salary we pay him. If he worked for any other employer he would have been out on his ear in an hour.

Yeah, that's right just like Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor, Sean Doherty, Albert Reynolds, Charlie Haughey, Michael Lowry, P.Flynn had such great respect for the country, the institution, our votes and the salaries we paid them - not too mention the fat pensions most of the living ones are on. You really should try engaging your brain before posting such drivel.

Pretty sure Bertie wore a suit all the time in the Dail.

Ditto:

Charlie Haughey.

Liam Lawlor et.

Clothes don't make the man.

@ darkpagandeath, Ref the bank manager in a tracksuit, bankers and developers helped to bring this country to its knees. I doubt many of them would have been wearing 'scanger tracksuits' while hatching their cunning plans.

If ming/Wallace or a.n others dress code has you worked up about who you can trust or not trust, you need a reality check.

And don't shoot the messenger.

Pretty sure Bertie wore a suit all the time in the Dail.

Ditto:

Charlie Haughey.

Liam Lawlor et.

Clothes don't make the man.

@ darkpagandeath, Ref the bank manager in a tracksuit, bankers and developers helped to bring this country to its knees. I doubt many of them would have been wearing 'scanger tracksuits' while hatching their cunning plans.

If ming/Wallace or a.n others dress code has you worked up about who you can trust or not trust, you need a reality check.

And don't shoot the messenger.

No. I'll judge you by your clothes when you come through the door every time. If you're on business then dress business, otherwise bye bye.

No. I'll judge you by your clothes when you come through the door every time. If you're on business then dress business, otherwise bye bye.

I bet you're a great judge of character so. :pac:

• Advertisement

I bet you're a great judge of character so. :pac:

Yep. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You better be posting in your best tin of fruit so

Bambi wrote: »
    You better be posting in your best tin of fruit so
    Boxers and string vest :D

So by that logic if you never knew Michael O'Leary and he walked through your door in jeans and a pair of cheap runners you'd run him? That'd be a big business mistake, I doubt you'd be in business too long if you missed out on a deal with Ryanair because you couldn't see past what the CEO was wearing.

If you were ever lucky enough to be able to do business with Mark Zuckerbirg I'd forewarn you not to- he's likely to show up in a pair of jeans, runners and the same hoodie he's been wearing since 2004. Best stay away from dodgy characters like him, if he doesn't know how to dress himself then clearly he hasn't got a clue :rolleyes:

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So by that logic if you never knew Michael O'Leary and he walked through your door in jeans and a pair of cheap runners you'd run him? That'd be a big business mistake, I doubt you'd be in business too long if you missed out on a deal with Ryanair because you couldn't see past what the CEO was wearing.

If you were ever lucky enough to be able to do business with Mark Zuckerbirg I'd forewarn you not to- he's likely to show up in a pair of jeans, runners and the same hoodie he's been wearing since 2004. Best stay away from dodgy characters like him, if he doesn't know how to dress himself then clearly he hasn't got a clue :rolleyes:

What a stupid comparison, the top 000000.1% of ceo's is just the same as a persons expectation of talking to someone smartly dressed in normal life. I'm sure if i was able to meet any of them people what I wear is of 0 impact. Yet on the other hand to regular people, we look for smart dress as a indicator of training, business sense and their understanding of what their market wants. Ceo's have a luxury of wearing what they want in some cases, will you give examples of people below them wearing something other than suit ? I’m sure you can’t as 99% of the private sector have to wear smart attire.

I have an easy example. You try going for an interview for a decent private or public sector job in a tracksuit, I wonder will you even be interviewed.

What a stupid comparison, the top 000000.1% of ceo's is just the same as a persons expectation of talking to someone smartly dressed in normal life. I'm sure if i was able to meet any of them people what I wear is of 0 impact. Yet on the other hand to regular people, we look for smart dress as a indicator of training, business sense and their understanding of what their market wants. Ceo's have a luxury of wearing what they want in some cases, will you give examples of people below them wearing something other than suit ? I’m sure you can’t as 99% of the private sector have to wear smart attire.

No, it's not a stupid comparison, it's a very valid one which you're now trying to twist because it doesn't suit you. Piliger said he judges people in business by the clothes they wear to illustrate his point about Mick Wallace and I said that if that's his policy then he'd never be doing business with Michael O'Leary or Mark Zuckerburg.

Oh and plenty of people work below CEOs and wear jeans and tshirts to work, there's probably at least 100,000 people working in the tech, digital and creative arts industries in Ireland who do it on a daily basis. Maybe in your narrow view of the private sector everyone wears a suit to try to convince people they're serious but in all those domains I mentioned employees stand out by their previous achievements, not by what they are wearing. So again by Piligers logic he wouldn't be doing any business with employees in Google or Facebook or many thousands of companies because he doesn't like what they wear. Fair enough so.

Anyway, I digress. As I said in another thread about Wallace a few weeks back if all his detractors have to throw at him is what he wears then they really are short on ideas.

In any case their opinions won't really matter because Wallace and Daly aren't going anywhere except to the top of the polls in the next election. You only have to look at the success of Ming in the recent European Elections to see how the campaigning he has done has made him the most popular politician in his constituency- Ming topped the poll with 129,000 votes and was first to be elected. Wallace and Daly have an equally high profile as Ming so there's no doubting that their seats are safe at the next election and they might even bring someone else in with them.

No, it's not a stupid comparison, it's a very valid one which you're now trying to twist because it doesn't suit you. Piliger said he judges people in business by the clothes they wear to illustrate his point about Mick Wallace and I said that if that's his policy then he'd never be doing business with Michael O'Leary or Mark Zuckerburg.

Oh and plenty of people work below CEOs and wear jeans and tshirts to work, there's probably at least 100,000 people working in the tech, digital and creative arts industries in Ireland who do it on a daily basis. Maybe in your narrow view of the private sector everyone wears a suit to try to convince people they're serious but in all those domains I mentioned employees stand out by their previous achievements, not by what they are wearing. So again by Piligers logic he wouldn't be doing any business with employees in Google or Facebook or many thousands of companies because he doesn't like what they wear. Fair enough so.

Anyway, I digress. As I said in another thread about Wallace a few weeks back if all his detractors have to throw at him is what he wears then they really are short on ideas.

In any case their opinions won't really matter because Wallace and Daly aren't going anywhere except to the top of the polls in the next election. You only have to look at the success of Ming in the recent European Elections to see how the campaigning he has done has made him the most popular politician in his constituency- Ming topped the poll with 129,000 votes and was first to be elected. Wallace and Daly have an equally high profile as Ming so there's no doubting that their seats are safe at the next election and they might even bring someone else in with them.

I'm calling bullsh*t on that figure, I work in IT have done from low end to high end server infrastructure for years. No one can wear anything other than smart attire. Anyone wearing a t-shirt and jeans gets a warning pretty fast. Do you have figures backing up your wild claims ? Anyone dealing with the public generally had to wear a minimum of slacks and a shirt. Have you watched that film about Google where they wear what they want ?

In your obsessive haste to outrage you fly past the essence of my posts which were concerned with 'appropriate' dress for the job at hand, and not an absolute standard irrespective of the situation. But hey .. knock 'em dead.

Yet on the other hand to regular people, we look for smart dress as a indicator of training, business sense and their understanding of what their market wants.

See there's the nub of your problem. Mick Wallace has stood for election wearing a pink shirt. His market don't mind that and they voted for him in such large numbers that he topped the poll and beat career politicians with years of experience.
    But none of that should matter to you because Mick Wallace is not your market. Even if he showed up in a €3,000 suit you still wouldn't vote for him. He has his market sewn up so at the end of the day it doesn't really matter a dam what you think of his attire because he doesn't need or want your vote, he's got more than enough of them already.

• Advertisement

In your obsessive haste to outrage you fly past the essence of my posts which were concerned with 'appropriate' dress for the job at hand, and not an absolute standard irrespective of the situation. But hey .. knock 'em dead.

Oh so that means you get to decide what is appropriate and what isn't ? Well sorry mate but Wallace's voters were the only ones who got to make that choice and they overwhelmingly approved. They could see beyond his clothes and gave him their vote on what he stood for, not what he was wearing. That's democracy for ya, sucks sometimes eh? :o

Advertisement