Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mick Wallace and Clare Daly reportedly arrested at Shannon airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sorry if posted before ,
    But WW does it again ,

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/07/23/wallace-and-dalys-parents-forbid-them-from-seeing-each-other-again/

Keep up the good work lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Sorry if posted before ,
    But WW does it again ,

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/07/23/wallace-and-dalys-parents-forbid-them-from-seeing-each-other-again/

hahaha so funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Your one D'Arcy pointed that out when she managed to climb a fence and make it on to an active runway without security or tower personnel realising it.

Another protester had to call the tower to tell them what was going on.

And she wasn't the first to breach the perimeter.

Security seems to be utterly shite when it comes to keeping people out of restricted areas.

Not a big fan of lax security in Ireland - one of my many gripes. :D

Remember the security guard at the Dublin Airport Control Tower with a criminal record: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hijacker-no-threat-to-dublin-airport-26033941.html

and this light fingered member of airport security: http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/crime-desk/im-sorry-for-airport-cash-theft

My own recent experience was at Dublin Port where the Security officer who questioned me about my nationality was clearly Eastern European rather than Irish.....and if you don't think this is odd, don't bother asking why I thought it odd.

Anyway, it all smacks of lazy/non-existent vetting of candidates for these and other security jobs. The authorities will wait for something awful to happen and then set-up a tribunal.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Sorry if posted before ,
    But WW does it again ,

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

My own recent experience was at Dublin Port where the Security officer who questioned me about my nationality was clearly Eastern European rather than Irish.....and if you don't think this is odd, don't bother asking why I thought it odd.

Anyway, it all smacks of lazy/non-existent vetting of candidates for these and other security jobs.

Should the application form have the following question.

Do you have a criminal record OR were you born on a different rock to me?

• Advertisement

Not a big fan of lax security in Ireland - one of my many gripes. :D

Remember the security guard at the Dublin Airport Control Tower with a criminal record: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hijacker-no-threat-to-dublin-airport-26033941.html

and this light fingered member of airport security: http://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/crime-desk/im-sorry-for-airport-cash-theft

Anyway, it all smacks of lazy/non-existent vetting of candidates for these and other security jobs. The authorities will wait for something awful to happen and then set-up a tribunal.

Ah sure with the dail rules its also ok to be a TD and have a criminal record. So why would it be different elsewhere.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Should the application form have the following question.

Do you have a criminal record OR were you born on a different rock to me?

I should imagine that all would be covered in your CV - and for a security job should be checked properly - what part of that don't you understand or agree with?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If military planes are passing through Shannon and there is a suspicion over them then they should be searched under our laws. It doesn't matter what nationality the plane is, human rights are for all, not just for some people and not for others

Violation of sovereign immunity is a very serious breach of international protocol, you want to have something more than 'suspiscion' to violate it. God knows what routinely comes into/out of countries in the diplomatic bag. It doesn't have to be renditions or weapons. Anyone who has visited New Zealand knows how seriously they take their import inspections, but they still won't check the Irish diplomatic luggage on the quite likely chance that they have some Galtee rashers and sausages.

Checked properly is not what you are saying

Checked properly is not what you are saying

Explain please?

• Advertisement

Why was it odd?

Why was it odd?

You think it's acceptable for a foreigner (be they naturalised or not) to be entrusted with this area of security - I don't. Sorry if that offends your pc sensitivities.

You think it's acceptable for a foreigner (be they naturalised or not) to be entrusted with this area of security - I don't. Sorry if that offends your pc sensitivities.

My sensitivites, thanks

by jingo i think you are correct?

cant trust johnny foireigner in these important positions?

My sensitivites, thanks

by jingo i think you are correct?

cant trust johnny foireigner in these important positions?

Yes, I clearly must be a racist to want to have our security services in the hands of our own people. You have cherry picked one point from my original post so that you can peddle your own agenda but my main point was that serious vetting of security people needs to be carried out not the half assed approach that some organisations seem to apply. No need to reply if you're going to be infantile.

Yes, I clearly must be a racist to want to have our security services in the hands of our own people. You have cherry picked one point from my original post so that you can peddle your own agenda but my main point was that serious vetting of security people needs to be carried out not the half assed approach that some organisations seem to apply. No need to reply if you're going to be infantile.

My point was that you stated that a foreigner is not allowed to question you on your nationality at the border (not sure why)

I did not call you racist, i called you overly aggressively nationalistic,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Are we not all European now and I could get a job on French boarder control if I was experienced ? Same with all EU states never heard this one before. Would be being born here be enough or would you need to have parents born here ?

Are we not all European now and I could get a job on French boarder control if I was experienced ? Same with all EU states never heard this one before. Would be being born here be enough or would you need to have parents born here ?

What does this have to do with the topic of this thread? This is about Mick Wallace and Claire Daily jumping the fence and breaking into Shannon airport. Weather some people think they were right or like myself thinking they were wrong. Can we get back on topic please?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

jjbrien wrote: »
    What does this have to do with the topic of this thread? This is about Mick Wallace and Claire Daily jumping the fence and breaking into Shannon airport. Weather some people think they were right or like myself thinking they were wrong. Can we get back on topic please?

Well it was your human rights they were standing up for- they clearly don't agree with innocent people being lifted off the street and tortured so while you might think that how they highlighted the abuses of human rights was wrong it still doesn't negate the fact that you yourself benefit from any campaign against the torture of innocents. So even if you think the methods they used were wrong you should still be grateful that they are campaigning for your rights as a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I agree. Their reasons are irrelevant. Our right to protest does not extend to a right to break the law, and I have no time whatsoever for these publicity seeking gobdaws and their stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Piliger wrote: »
    I agree. Their reasons are irrelevant. Our right to protest does not extend to a right to break the law, and I have no time whatsoever for these publicity seeking gobdaws and their stunt.

There are a whole lot of people wiser than you or i, who would disagree with you...

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/civil-disobedience

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »
    There are a whole lot of people wiser than you or i, who would disagree with you...

There is no way these two can be compared to the people on that list. There is no proof that Shannon has been used to rendition flights. These two bafoons broke the law, could have put others at risk its unacceptable. They are elected members of the dail and could have well used dail process to look into this, instead they broke the law, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

What a load of nonsense. That's what I'd expect from Wallace.

There is no way these two can be compared to the people on that list. There is no proof that Shannon has been used to rendition flights. These two bafoons broke the law, could have put others at risk its unacceptable. They are elected members of the dail and could have well used dail process to look into this, instead they broke the law, plain and simple.

Can you show me where i compared them? i pointed out that greater minds than ours consider breaking the law necessary.

Since you know there is no proof of rendition, why dont you show us the proof Daly and Wallace put others at risk.

Piliger wrote: »
    What a load of nonsense. That's what I'd expect from Wallace.

So, all those people are wrong, or just me?

Can you show me where i compared them? i pointed out that greater minds than ours consider breaking the law necessary.

Since you know there is no proof of rendition, why dont you show us the proof Daly and Wallace put others at risk.

Breaking into a busy international airport could have put others at risk. It shows terroists that our airports are an easy target.

You implied that others who had broken the law in other places did it under the same idea as Wallace and Daly did. When infact they just did it to get their photo in the paper. Ireland has a good relationship with the United States we dont need two vigilantes ruining it for us. We have an Air Core, Army, Customs and Guards whos job it is to protect our country and are more trained in these matters than these two clowns. There is dail process they could have followed and Customs might have taken a look at them planes. At the time the planes were empty so there was nobody on them which debunks their idea of those aircraft being used to rendition. The United States isnt dumb. It would move rendition flights though one of its air bases in Germany or the UK and wouldn't do it at Shannon.

Breaking into a busy international airport could have put others at risk. It shows terroists that our airports are an easy target.

You implied that others who had broken the law in other places did it under the same idea as Wallace and Daly did. When infact they just did it to get their photo in the paper. Ireland has a good relationship with the United States we dont need two vigilantes ruining it for us. We have an Air Core, Army, Customs and Guards whos job it is to protect our country and are more trained in these matters than these two clowns. There is dail process they could have followed and Customs might have taken a look at them planes. At the time the planes were empty so there was nobody on them which debunks their idea of those aircraft being used to rendition. The United States isnt dumb. It would move rendition flights though one of its air bases in Germany or the UK and wouldn't do it at Shannon.

Again, i didnt imply anything. i pointed out that smarter people than you guys think you are wrong. Yes, Martin Luther King and Ghandi, think you and Piliger are just plain wrong!!

And if by "good relationship with the USA" you mean we would sell our grannies to them for a few bucks you may be right there, but IMO being afraid of economic consequences is not friendship.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I believe there are certain exemptions to that, at the top of the list being the security services. A citizenship requirement at least is required for many positions. (If not exclusive citizenship) This is not unique to the EU, it's one of he few exceptions to the Constitution applying to foreigners in the US as well: Discrimination in hiring is legal in such cases.

Ah but that's discrimination, x% of security staff should be female, y% should be LGBT, Z% should be Roma gypsies etc. - and to hell with their suitability for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Scarecrow was apparently in a Courtown ale house yesterday. He reminds me of how FF were in the day, immerse yourself with the voters, get down to the common mans level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Scarecrow was apparently in a Courtown ale house yesterday. He reminds me of how FF were in the day, immerse yourself into the voting public, get down to the common mans level.

Advertisement