Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the worst event in modern Irish history?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Gmol wrote: »
    The shooting of Veronica Guerin and Jerry MacCabe

What were they doing hanging out together anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The hunger strikes,the civil war,veronica geuran,institutionalized clerical abuse... too many to mention to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

feargale wrote: »
    I must be almost beyond dispute that the two worst events in modern Irish history were:
    1. The Cromwellian War and the subsequent persecutions and forcible transplantations.
    2. The Great Famine.

Well the title of the thread is 'modern' history. Otherwise yeah, those two points would be indisputable..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The hunger strikes,the civil war,veronica geuran,institutionalized clerical abuse... too many to mention to be honest.

Is every event there the joint worst event in Irish history?

And while Veronica Guerin's death was tragic, a bit of a sense of scale wouldnt go amiss. Putting it up there with clerical abuse and the civil war is fairly OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

GerB40 wrote: »
    Well the title of the thread is 'modern' history. Otherwise yeah, those two points would be indisputable..

My good man, historians regard the modern era as commencing in the second half of the 15th century, at the Fall of Constantinople in 1453 or Columbus' discovery of America in 1492.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

feargale wrote: »
    I must be almost beyond dispute that the two worst events in modern Irish history were:
    1. The Cromwellian War and the subsequent persecutions and forcible transplantations.
    2. The Great Famine.

It occurs to me in the light of current centenary commemorations that no. 3 in terms of number of casualties would most likely be World War I. Some historians said 49,400 Irish dead, more recently most seem to agree on 35,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The cromwell invasion is hard to fathom...The fact most of the country is named in English is testament to that, i think??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 peterbarlow

When the English started to breed their way into Gaelic society, had very little effect on the northerner as we didn't marry them but would be very noticeable around Dublin with the English surnames.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

When the English started to breed their way into Gaelic society, had very little effect on the northerner as we didn't marry them but would be very noticeable around Dublin with the English surnames.

In fairness to the English the reason they didn't ask ye to marry them was because ye are related to them anyway, being British and all that.

In fairness to the English the reason they didn't ask ye to marry them was because ye are related to them anyway, being British and all that.

Was that meant to be an insult? I have no interest in modern politics hence no problem with being 'British'

Also, I was referring to a few hundred years ago, all of Ireland was British.
    I had to laugh at that though, I just have to look at my family tree to see all my Gaelic ancestry, most likely have more than you due to all the mixing with the Highland Scot gallowglasses, it is our orange neighbours who have all the English ancestry.

oh and Dan Breen was 'British' as well realdanbreen

• Advertisement

Was that meant to be an insult? I have no interest in modern politics hence no problem with being 'British'

Also, I was referring to a few hundred years ago, all of Ireland was British.
    I had to laugh at that though, I just have to look at my family tree to see all my Gaelic ancestry, most likely have more than you due to all the mixing with the Highland Scot gallowglasses, it is our orange neighbours who have all the English ancestry.

oh and Dan Breen was 'British' as well realdanbreen

Sorry if I touched a nerve. Dan Breen was a Tipperaryman who once said when asked if he had any regrets about his fight against Britain said 'my only regret is that on a few occassions my gun jammed' While you say that you have no problem being British, he obviouly regarded himself as Irish.

Sorry if I touched a nerve. Dan Breen was a Tipperaryman who once said when asked if he had any regrets about his fight against Britain said 'my only regret is that on a few occassions my gun jammed' While you say that you have no problem being British, he obviouly regarded himself as Irish.

If they offered us an independent Northern Ireland I would take it but as of yet that is not going to happen, British is a political entity in Northern Ireland, nothing more, I am not a citizen of the Irish republic, would you rather me bury my head in the sand? I'd rather not call myself Irish as you get men like yourself telling us otherwise and trying to get an argument out of us.
    What does touch a nerve though is a southern man thinking we are somehow more genetically tied to GB that you, last time I checked the Anglo-Normans were plentiful down there.

Dan Breen was still a citizen of the UK, British just like I am and you told me a few comments ago that I am British before you even asked what I view myself as so you are contradicting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

you do have the same fleg,and you call yourselves British,maybe that why we think you are British?

kingchess wrote: »
    you do have the same fleg,and you call yourselves British,maybe that why we think you are British?

flegs shmegs, there are many flags I identify with, ranging from the fianna sunburst to the st patricks saltire, a mans culture and heritage aren't solely represented in a piece of cloth

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

flegs shmegs, there are many flags I identify with, ranging from the fianna sunburst to the st patricks saltire, a mans culture and heritage aren't solely represented in a piece of cloth

so why make a big deal about your "gaelic ancestors" from the highlands?and make the point that the English interbred with the gaels in the south?what point are you struggling to make??(ps. Barlow is a English surname according to google)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

We're still doing it as well.

kingchess wrote: »
    so why make a big deal about your "gaelic ancestors" from the highlands?and make the point that the English interbred with the gaels in the south?what point are you struggling to make??(ps. Barlow is a English surname according to google)

God save us, Peter Barlow is a character in Coronation Street, I am O'Loughlin.

I made the point because the person said we were already related to the English and I also wished to point out that being a citizen of the Irish Republic doesn't mean you have the monopoly on being Gaelic, we have equal descent from them if not more, even if we are in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Im not Irish so not familliar with most of ur history but for me it would be bailing the banks out and NOT collecting interest on the loan. For once the banks would see what it is to be on the receiving end of a loan.

God save us, Peter Barlow is a character in Coronation Street, I am O'Loughlin.

I made the point because the person said we were already related to the English and I also wished to point out that being a citizen of the Irish Republic doesn't mean you have the monopoly on being Gaelic, we have equal descent from them if not more, even if we are in the UK.
    Why are you ashamed of being British?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

No it made us see what the southern Irish were really like, they stood back and let the Nationalists get literally butchered in the street.
    It is a division of Irish people that will never heal,

You won't be wanting to come back to us so. Byeeeeeee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

franer1970 wrote: »
    Besieging and destruction of the British Embassy in Dublin by a crowd of thousands in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday.
    Real third world stuff. Largely forgotten about now - some people I've mentioned it to wouldn't believe it happened!

Never lost too much sleep over that, tbh. People expressing their rage, quite rightly.

That's some crazy shiit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

The copper fastening of the position of the RC church in the 1937 constitution. Effectively emasculated the country and strangled the emerging republic. Kept generations backward and superstitious and bred hypocrisy and cover up at the cost of lives lost and lives ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Omagh bombing is Defo up there as one of the worst, (very modern times)

Plantations would be the oldie

The emergence of people with no religious belief or who are too lazy to study religious beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

The emergence of people with no religious belief or who are too lazy to study religious beliefs.

Oh my science, what do you mean?

You mean intelligent people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Jesus, Mary and Joseph what a moronic statement. We've no religious belief because we were not lazy like most believers and did study our religious beliefs.

Its up there with, "Atheists just hate God"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

GerB40 wrote: »
    You mean intelligent people?

Ridiculous self righteous post. This gives agnostics and atheists a bad name.

Why are you ashamed of being British?

Who said I was? As I said it is just politics for the Catholics in Northern Ireland, an identity for the protestants. I'm not ashamed to be an Ulsterman that's for sure, i'd rather be an Ulsterman living under British rule than being from the other provinces and have independence.

• Advertisement

This thread has turned very bitchy...

Advertisement