Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the worst event in modern Irish history?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

3 of the 9 counties of Ulster are part of the Republic,not under British rule-you do know that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

2002 general election? Not cos of Fine Gael bombing, just feels like that was something of a tipping point for the whole country going ****ing nuts building estates anywhere that land was available

• Registered Users Posts: 10 peterbarlow

kingchess wrote: »
    3 of the 9 counties of Ulster are part of the Republic,not under British rule-you do know that??

Yes I do, Donegal are very lucky but they have to put up with southerners as they go to universities in Galway/Dublin and usually work in Dublin therefore their attachment to the rest of Ulster has diminished somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

2002 general election? Not cos of Fine Gael bombing, just feels like that was something of a tipping point for the whole country going ****ing nuts building estates anywhere that land was available

The problem is the 'whole country' didn't go nuts , just a minority and now those of us who didn't go nuts have to fork out and pay their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

GerB40 wrote: »
    Well the title of the thread is 'modern' history. Otherwise yeah, those two points would be indisputable..

The modern era started when the Medieval era ended. Might be some argument as to the exact date in Ireland, some time in the 16th century I'd say. This isn't just some trivial technicality, do a course in early modern Irish history and most likely the period covered will be some thing like 1534-1800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

quote="peterbarlow;91585959"]When the English started to breed their way into Gaelic society, had very little effect on the northerner as we didn't marry them but would be very noticeable around Dublin with the English surnames.[/quote]
    In fairness to the English the reason they didn't ask ye to marry them was because ye are related to them anyway, being British and all that.

This thread is beginning to go from immature to infantile.

The emergence of people with no religious belief or who are too lazy to study religious beliefs.
    GerB40 wrote: »
    You mean intelligent people?

....and from sublime to ridiculous.

Roy Keane leaving World Cup.

Oh FFS! You forgot Mayo's failure to win Sam Maguire!

franer1970 wrote: »
    Besieging and destruction of the British Embassy in Dublin by a crowd of thousands in the aftermath of Bloody Sunday.
    Real third world stuff. Largely forgotten about now - some people I've mentioned it to wouldn't believe it happened!

Far too many boardsies are more interested in propaganda than in an honest exchange of views. The destruction of the British Embassy was an egregious breach of international law, the utterly unjustifiable action of an enraged mob. But before anybody mentions it again, can I suggest that in the interests of balance they at the same time refer to the murderous atrocity in Derry which caused that mob to be enraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The prickteaser who promised me the ride of my life back when I was in college. Then fed me so much drink that I passed out. This changed the course of Irish History. And it was tragic.
    If you don't agree, you're wrong.

• Advertisement

The prickteaser who promised me the ride of my life back when I was in college. Then fed me so much drink that I passed out. This changed the course of Irish History. And it was tragic.
    If you don't agree, you're wrong.

How sad! You make it sound as if you'll die wondering,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

feargale wrote: »
    Oh FFS! You forgot Mayo's failure to win Sam Maguire!

They won it 3 times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

yeah sorry forgot about the famine which is hands down the worst. defined our history

Not in the last bit modern day though.

Modern time is measured from some stage in the 1950s until now, due to carbon dating being ineffective from that date forward.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Not in the last bit modern day though.

Modern time is measured from some stage in the 1950s until now, due to carbon dating being ineffective from that date forward.

You're thinking in terms of music, Elvis Presley and all that.
    To a historian Shakespeare is modern.

Advertisement