Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the worst event in modern Irish history?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The reemergence of Finna Fail since the last general election. Do people never learn

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Mayo competing in 7 All Ireland Finals and winning none in the past 25 years.

All codding aside, I think the following tragedies helped shape modern Ireland

Anne Lovett tragedy-I recently reread the reports.....truly heartbreaking and a seminal moment in the evolution of modern Ireland

Omagh bombing.....the sheer depravity of it rattled the "dissident movement" to the point of insignificance in modern Ireland

Events surrounding the Gibraltar tragedy, especially the murder of the 2 british soldiers by a mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That's mad, I just never get the mentality and then people go out and vote along those lines. It is completely insane to choose to vote for a candidate in 2014 based on events that happened in the 1920's.

In fairness to Haughey he did stand up to the Church with the Succession Act, before that widowed women had no rights to property of their deceased husband, the Church got the house and land after the widow was allowed to live in it for the rest of her days. That was a big thing because it meant that the Church stopped accumulating land so easily and it gave women rights to land that they never had before. In fairness to Haughey I'd say he came under immense pressure from the Bishops not to do it but he went ahead anyway, it was one of the few ballsy moves against the Church that legislators have ever implemented.

But all that was a good 15 years before became Taoiseach for the first of three stints. He was a completely different animal by that stage, I think it was historian Diarmuid Ferriter who said that the beginnings of his career were very dynamic but from the 1970s onwards it was all about one thing- himself and enriching himself as much as possible.

Why would all property have gone to the church? If that was the case then the church would have owned the property of everyone who died from the 20s till the 60s, which it clearly didnt. As much as the early state loved the RCC, I doubt they set up a system where eventually all the land in the country would have ended up in the hands of the church, paying no rates/tax etc.

I have heard stories however of wives/daughters/sons being shafted where the land was left to the church in the man's will and they were left with nothing. Another problem was widows/other children being left with nothing and the estate going entirely to the eldest son.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Harry cheating on Delores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Schillaci goal against Ireland in Italia 90. The end of a dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

whitey1 wrote: »

Anne Lovett tragedy-I recently reread the reports.....truly heartbreaking and a seminal moment in the evolution of modern Ireland

Omagh bombing.....the sheer depravity of it rattled the "dissident movement" to the point of insignificance in modern Ireland

Events surrounding the Gibraltar tragedy, especially the murder of the 2 british soldiers by a mob.
    THe guys that supported the Omagh bomb have their own wing in Portlaoise and have marches and the like in prison ...surely we could treat them a little worse? They also seem to pick and choose who can stay on their wing.

whitey1 wrote: »

It's a real life nightmare ....imagine being in the British army and finding yourself in the middle of an angry funeral mob.....that was an awful death

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

lazygal wrote: »
    The passing of the eighth amendment. As a woman I feel as though my rights are always subservient to those of a foetus.

As I was once a foetus I disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

It's a real life nightmare ....imagine being in the British army and finding yourself in the middle of an angry funeral mob.....that was an awful death

True - it was horrific. The video of the mob and the photo of Fr Alec Reid giving one of the soldiers his last rites are two things I'll never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Independence wasn't a mistake in and of itself. 90 years later we are better off than most of the rest of the UK. Èven as we try to recover from our economic woes of the last 6 or 7 years we are still much better off than the regions of the UK that stayed in. ie. Wales, Scotland, N.I and even parts of England itself such as the North. The myriad of mistakes we made since the 20's didn't make it that we would have been better of remaining in the UK. The myriad mistakes made it that we are only somewhat better off than a great swathe of the UK. Had we not made the mistakes we could have been substantially better off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Hmm... it's funny. There's basically 4 types of post in this thread:

• Worst event was when Dustin the Turkey colluded with Jedward to stop our success in da football
    • God-damn bankers and Fianna Fáil. Bankers and fianna fail... Fianker Báil!
    • The long night; shadow of gunmen; civil strife; and the spectre of the Catholic Church -workhouses, industrial schools, and poverty.
    • Up da Ra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hmm... it's funny. There's basically 4 types of post in this thread:

• Worst event was when Dustin the Turkey colluded with Jedward to stop our success in da football
    • God-damn bankers and Fianna Fáil. Bankers and fianna fail... Fianker Báil!
    • The long night; shadow of gunmen; civil strife; and the spectre of the Catholic Church -workhouses, industrial schools, and poverty.
    • Up da Ra.

It's reminding me a lot of this http://the-toast.net/2014/06/30/every-irish-novel-ever/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

FatherTed wrote: »
    Dev getting power. Really fked up the country in so many ways especially giving free reign to the church to chart the course of the country. Still paying for it. If someine else became leader long term e.g. Collins maybe the country would have ended up more secular.
    Agreed. If Collins just told Dev to **** off with his meeting in Cork he would of told the church the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's interesting how the Omagh bombing gets mentioned twice as often as the Dublin/Monaghan bombings in this thread, while I appreciate that most people would only have been alive for one (in that boat myself) I would have expected D/M would figure as much as Omagh

• Registered Users Posts: 35,759 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Roy Keane leaving World Cup.

It's interesting how the Omagh bombing gets mentioned twice as often as the Dublin/Monaghan bombings in this thread, while I appreciate that most people would only have been alive for one (in that boat myself) I would have expected D/M would figure as much as Omagh

Just educating myself on the d/m bombings now, horrific. With hindsight when you have an area such NI where the army/police are there to serve a portion of the population with a shared mindset, it's obvious, expected and normal to assume there was military expertise involved in the bombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Roy Keane leaving World Cup.

How can you call a hissy fit an event?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Glenroe getting cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

The shooting of Veronica Guerin and Jerry MacCabe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Adamantium wrote: »
    The bones of 800 babies dumped in a septic tank in Tuam and who knows how many other sites around the country...

...The congnitive dissonance ...

...Amazing how quickly that receded in the news.

Maybe because it was a load of sensationalist internet bollox in a slow news week? There were about 20 skeletons in a converted disused septic tank. The story that the country was impoverished and conditions in these homes were bad is nothing new.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-tuam-tank-another-myth-about-evil-ireland/15140#.U9AFoKMapIU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Omagh bombing. I was coming back from England on the ferry when the report came on the television. I sat in a quiet corner and didn't speak because I didn't want anyone to hear my accent. I was ashamed to be Irish that day.

Why?
    You didn't plant a bomb so there is no need to be ashamed of your nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Famine

The Black and Tans

Dublin/ Monaghan bombings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

All the serious one have been well covered, so could I suggest.....

The birth of Daniel O'Donnell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Adamantium wrote: »

jesus christ this is brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Garth Brooks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Wow some posts are way off

The shooting of a journalist the worst event in the states history
    The X case fiasco
    The Economic crisis.

The Famine is clearly the worst event ever in Ireland, christ 1m dead and another million emigrating how could you seriously say that isn't the worst event in Irish history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

The X case fiasco
    The Economic crisis.

The Famine is clearly the worst event ever in Ireland, christ 1m dead and another million emigrating how could you seriously say that isn't the worst event in Irish history?

"modern" Irish history - watch ye dont fall getting down off that equine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The X case fiasco
    The Economic crisis.

What part of ''modern'' don't you understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

StudentDad wrote: »
    The 'rising' of 1916 which didn't have popular support. Leading to the overreaction of the govt. Which led to the war of independence and formation of the Free State. Following on from those actions this little country went from being one of the wealthiest in Europe to an economic, social and religious gulag.
    I read somewhere that during the 50's the govt. here toyed with the idea of ringing London and asking if we could rejoin the UK. Absolute madness.

Thank god we joined the EEC when we did.

SD

How are the fruits of Empire working out for the people of Dundee and Humberside nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

How are the fruits of Empire working out for the people of Dundee and Humberside nowadays?

Much the same point as I made. I was actually very recently in the "Should hand back the keys to Westminster with an apology" camp myself till a thread here a few months ago where someone made the point infinitely more eloquently and comprehensively that I.

Basically, we fcuked up, we fcuked up regularily and we fcuked up big but even despite that we are still better off now than we would be if we were still part of the UK.

As someone pointed out earlier there are 8 million Irish and children of Irish parents outside the country. Had we not made so many screw ups those 8 Million would be living here. Imagine how dynamic a nation we could be with 12 million people without that brain and labour drain and larger domestic demand. Yet despite everything we're still better off than if we had remained in the UK. But imagine what it could have been like with fewer screwups and 12 million native Irish!!

Advertisement