Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick v. Wexford, SHC QF, Semple Stadium @ 2pm

Options

Comments

A bridge too far for Wexford today. Give Limerick their credit they were impressive and clinical but its probably a season too soon for Wexford. They cant be too despondent after what has been a year of real progress. They can develop into real contenders over the next few years. Whether it was lethargy or stage fright today (or perhaps even both) there is certainly not the gulf in class that the scoreline suggested. In time it could be a good thing to keep them grounded.

agree with some of what you say - early days etc - but there actually was a "gulf in class" today

Lapin wrote: »
    TJ would make a great greyhound race commentator :)

Or an auctioneer at the cattle mart :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

A bridge too far for Wexford today. Give Limerick their credit they were impressive and clinical but its probably a season too soon for Wexford. They cant be too despondent after what has been a year of real progress. They can develop into real contenders over the next few years. Whether it was lethargy or stage fright today (or perhaps even both) there is certainly not the gulf in class that the scoreline suggested. In time it could be a good thing to keep them grounded.

Perhaps it can be argued that there is a gulf in class. wexford after all struggled to put away 13 man clare.

agree with some of what you say - early days etc - but there actually was a "gulf in class" today

To me though, Wexford are better then their performance suggests. I mean you dont beat the defending All Ireland champions if you havent something about you. Still a bit raw and naive and perhaps a mixture of stage fright or fatigue. Things wouldn't come off for them either. Just like with the Tipp footballers yesterday, they still have alot of building to do. Today shouldnt underline Wexford's season. Theyve made huge progress but perhaps need to focus on promotion to 1A as a target for next season.

donnem33 wrote: »
    Perhaps it can be argued that there is a gulf in class. wexford after all struggled to put away 13 man clare.

Fair point but they are a very young team at the end of the day. No lack of class but rather a rawness or naivety about them. They were arguably in bonus territory after beating Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I have to say O'Hanlon's strike on Dowling was a sickener - 30 seconds to go and down by 20 points and he does that to a fellow player facing into an All-Ireland semi-final. Knew exactly what he was doing too.

Gone way down in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

grimbergen wrote: »
    I have to say O'Hanlon's strike on Dowling was a sickener - 30 seconds to go and down by 20 points and he does that to a fellow player facing into an All-Ireland semi-final. Knew exactly what he was doing too.

Yeah... was in front of me and I thought that was a broken wrist for Dowling, thank fcuk it appears that he's okay. On first glance on tv, it looked innocuous enough, but it's all about intent... he was nowhere near the ball, went straight for Dowling's hand and could have broken it. Deserved red card for sure, glad that it didn't affect the outcome like 96.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Yeah... was in front of me and I thought that was a broken wrist for Dowling, thank fcuk it appears that he's okay. On first glance on tv, it looked innocuous enough, but it's all about intent... he was nowhere near the ball, went straight for Dowling's hand and could have broken it. Deserved red card for sure, glad that it didn't affect the outcome like 96.

Credit to Dowling also for his reaction. He didn't make a meal of it and even offered to shake Hanlon's hand after the card was given.

Fireball07 wrote: »

Heat of battle, a point down with a minute to go you could blame adrenalin maybe...but this match had slowed down to challenge match pace and he was a yard away from the ball. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

A lot of talk about Wexford tiring out.They just meet a superior team and a superior challenge to an off form Clare team and a Waterford team with a clueless manager and they were found out for the average side that they are.That's the long and short of it.Wexford didn't fall apart today they were ripped apart by a Limerick team that were well primed for battle.All this talk about tiredness is just papering over the fact that a limited Wexford team were dominated on the pitch and on the line by a far superior and far more proven team.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Limerick will have learned nothing from this game and it will be a factor against KK. Playing games weekend and out told its tale for Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I'm not surprised that is your interpretation, based on your comments in the lead up you were never going to give Limerick credit regardless of the outcome. Your prediction that "Wexford will take Limerick at the weekend" was wrong by at least 25 points. You made that prediction knowing Wexford had played the previous three weekends, you didn't consider fatigue an issue then but all of a sudden it matters now, how convenient!

Put simply, Limerick are not as bad as you thought/hoped they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Amprodude wrote: »
    Limerick will have learned nothing from this game and it will be a factor against KK. Playing games weekend and out told its tale for Wexford.

Yawn, your credibility is shot after your prematch ramblings. You were quite clear that Wexford would win this one handy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I don't know if tiredness was a factor or not. What I do know is a lot of analysts like Deignan got it so badly wrong, they don't know what they are talking about.

If it was tiredness, how could they be tipping Wex beforehand. Then afterwards saying 'it was tiredness'. Shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

How did Liam Dunne not make changes in his defence until late in the second half? Surely a switch of corner backs at the very least should have been tried. Liam Ryan was getting an awful roasting off Mulcahy and Rossiter wasn't faring much better against Downes and Breen. Shore had a nightmare game on the wing also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Fair play to Limerick, a comprehensive demolition job and clinical finishing. Could have been even more. Just a shame Wexford never showed at all. I dont think the fatigue was that much a factor. Not so early on at least. They just looked way off the pace of the game and couldnt do simple things right. A real pity, as I certainly think they are far better than they showed yesterday. Also unfortunate for Limerick not to get a better test before they play Kilkenny too. Best of luck to them anyway, would be great to see them win it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Tipp will have learned less from their win over Dublin. Will that affect their performance V Cork in the semi.? Not in the slightest.
    If Wexford were tired, what excuse would you offer for Dublin's display.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Looked back on the incident there. It can clearly be seen that he went straight for Dowling's hand holding the hurley. Very bad belt and absolutely no need for it. Disappointing from him. I thought Liam Dunne was quite gracious after the game in fairness to him and was nice to see him having a good few words with TJ after.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't know if tiredness was a factor or not. What I do know is a lot of analysts like Deignan got it so badly wrong, they don't know what they are talking about.

If it was tiredness, how could they be tipping Wex beforehand. Then afterwards saying 'it was tiredness'. Shambolic.

Couldn't agree more. Duignan is one of the laziest analysts of them all, said he was going for wexford cos he went them in the previous two matches. If that's the basis for your analysis, you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Couldn't agree more. Duignan is one of the laziest analysts of them all, said he was going for wexford cos he went them in the previous two matches. If that's the basis for your analysis, you're in trouble.

+1
    Most proper GAA followers have Duignan copped by now.
    A total bluffer who runs with the hare and hunts with the hound...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

Have to laugh at people saying it wont do Limerick any good. When you win by that much in a quarter final it means you are in a good place heading into an all ireland semi final.Limerick knew if they won yesterday it was a semi final against the cats and they know how tough it will be. a close or big win is irrelevant.

If the game was anyway close then you could understand any mention of Wexford being tired but there was 24 points between them for a finish.

No way can can that be excused when the gap is that wide.

Put simply, Limerick are not as bad as you thought/hoped they were.

I will reserve my judgement until the next game. Then I will know who good Limerick really are. This will be the test. KK are the benchmark. We will see if Limerick are really up to it. Time will tell.

washman3 wrote: »
    Tipp will have learned less from their win over Dublin. Will that affect their performance V Cork in the semi.? Not in the slightest.
    If Wexford were tired, what excuse would you offer for Dublin's display.?
    They were tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I will reserve my judgement until the next game. Then I will know who good Limerick really are. This will be the test. KK are the benchmark. We will see if Limerick are really up to it. Time will tell.

You've said this,or something similar,before every game..

You said tipp would destroy limerick, didn't happen.
    You then said cork would destroy limerick, yes they won but far from a massive win..

Then you said Wexford would have a handy enough win and Limerick obliterated them..
    Face it, this Limerick team are a lot better than you've given them any credit for..

Kk will be a stern test, but If limerick show up, fix the accuracy and bring the same physicality and speed they had on Sunday, they'll have a right good chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

As we will with Cork. Time will tell and those other similar prophetic cliches.....blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Any chance you'd reply to the rest of that post? Like the part when you said Wexford WILL win, not should or could win but WILL.

If you would admit you got it wrong I'd be able to take you seriously, otherwise I have to seriously question your motivations here, you've done nothing to change my view that you just hate Limerick and are dying for them to be defeated.

Kilkenny are favourites for a reason, they should win that game. Likewise they probably should win the All-Ireland.

However even if Kilkenny won by just a point you'd just say "Told you so, Limerick not up to it", they only way you would swallow your pride and admit you are wrong about this team is if they go and win the All-Ireland. Such an over simplistic way of seeing things, plenty of good teams don't win the All-Ireland.

Also, if Limerick did manage to defeat Kilkenny, you'd most likely only come back and say "I'll reserve my judgement on Limerick until after the final".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Don't forget only this time last year Wexford struggled to beat Carlow (two point margin) in a home qualifier. So they were on a major upward curve this year. It could be argued that they actually punched above their weight this year. They should take a lot of encouragement from their performances and it will be very interesting to see if they can push on next season. As stated here previously promotion in the league will be a major priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

robbiezero wrote: »
    How did Liam Dunne not make changes in his defence until late in the second half? Surely a switch of corner backs at the very least should have been tried. Liam Ryan was getting an awful roasting off Mulcahy and Rossiter wasn't faring much better against Downes and Breen. Shore had a nightmare game on the wing also.

IMO the problem wasn't in defence but out the field. WX were winning SFA out the field. No defence can cope with constant ball delivery like that.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    You've said this,or something similar,before every game..

You said tipp would destroy limerick, didn't happen.
    You then said cork would destroy limerick, yes they won but far from a massive win..

Then you said Wexford would have a handy enough win and Limerick obliterated them..
    Face it, this Limerick team are a lot better than you've given them any credit for..

Kk will be a stern test, but If limerick show up, fix the accuracy and bring the same physicality and speed they had on Sunday, they'll have a right good chance!

Never said Tipp would destroy Limerick at all.

Yes I was hoping Cork would beat Limerick off the park because of the fans giving out about moving the venue away from PUH eventhough Limerick had a home and away agreement with Cork and couldn't hardly relish it when Limerick got to a Munster final. In my books a 6 point victory is a convincing victory and Cork only tore Limerick apart from 54 min onwards and Cork should have won by 8-9 points. Cadogan had two easy misses, he destroyed his marker and his final attempts were wides and by his standards he should have got those two. Harnedy missed an easy one at the end but got 3-4 yards away from his marker. Limerick never looked like scoring a goal and to say Limerick were in game from 54th min onwards is the biggest disillusion I have ever seen on here. Cork were the better team in that game and get over it.

Yes I was wrong with Wexford game but I was expecting a better challenge from them. They were on a role beating both Clare and Waterford and Limerick aren't miles ahead of those two teams. You will agree with me that this won't help Limerick if they need to iron out any major issues ahead of KK. I do think KK will be a big ask but if Limerick deliver I will hold my head up high and say I was wrong.

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    As we will with Cork. Time will tell and those other similar prophetic cliches.....blah blah blah

We are talking about Limerick in this thread not Cork.

Advertisement