Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Tegra K1 chip - Will you Buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

That is a weird one Pat.

Got to be something to do with the new Router.

I wonder if the Router has a setting to force all devices on Wireless N. (assuming all the other devices support it)

Or the second thing i thought was to give the K1 a static IP address

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Update 5.3 out for anyone still rocking this tab. Mines the LTE and almost always the last to get the patches so your probably already good.

Android security patch 5th November addesing Krack and Broadpwn.
    So happy they still update it. :)

Mines still going strong. God I wish they would update it with a new model tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

I believe thats the last update, its now end of life :(

It had a good run, still a great tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

BArra wrote: »

For sure! many versions of android later and still pc class online/server gaming. Really hope they replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

I'd be popping over to xda dev if I had a shield, some solid support on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭corkie

god's toy wrote: »
    Update 5.3 out for anyone still rocking this tab. Mines the LTE and almost always the last to get the patches so your probably already good.

Android security patch 5th November addesing Krack and Broadpwn.
    So happy they still update it. :)

Mines still going strong. God I wish they would update it with a new model tho!
    BArra wrote: »

11214 wrote: »
    I'd be popping over to xda dev if I had a shield, some solid support on there.

[XDA][ROM] [OFFICIAL] LineageOS for the Shield Tablet

I went for the Nexus 9 and have been using LineageOS since September.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Clara2019

I expected it to do more. It is more expensive than the standard Android box and more difficult to load. Miss the availability of a mouse for some navigation tasks and had a lot of early difficulty with the onscreen keyboard which by default was Russian rather than English. However, it does provide all the programmes I need but I will need time to determine if it provides full value for money

^^^ Wrong thread, this is for the Tablet, not the TV box!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Clara2019 wrote: »
    I expected it to do more. It is more expensive than the standard Android box and more difficult to load. Miss the availability of a mouse for some navigation tasks and had a lot of early difficulty with the onscreen keyboard which by default was Russian rather than English. However, it does provide all the programmes I need but I will need time to determine if it provides full value for money

Yeah wrong thread

Go add a usb keyboard and mouse then, Android TV is built from the ground up for use with a D-pad remote on a large screen. You can also use Google Assistant to dictate commands and text with your voice or use the Nvidia Shield app on your smartphone.

The Nvidia shield is a gaming console, go play some games, stream them to the box from online servers or stream them from your own pc. The Nvidia shield after 4 years on the market is still the best and most powerful Android device there is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any options on replacing the battery on these? I love the tablet but having used it so much, the battery life is plumetting.

Any options on replacing the battery on these? I love the tablet but having used it so much, the battery life is plumetting.

Check youtube, I did it on the nexus 9 myself, but that was an easy process.

Needs a soldering iron and a collection of tools. From what little I looked at the video.
    Not home DIY job at all, look to see if a repair shop will do it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

corkie wrote: »
    Check youtube, I did it on the nexus 9 myself, but that was an easy process.

Needs a soldering iron and a collection of tools. From what little I looked at the video.
    Not home DIY job at all, look to see if a repair shop will do it for you?

It doesn't look too bad. I'd give it a go. I think my battery was f***ed from the start. It only ever lasted about 2 hours. Now it's more like 90 minutes. It's still a great tablet though!

Oh and check out some YouTube videos to get a bit of inspiration for stuff like this. Mymatevince or retrorepair. Entertaining and educational:)

Advertisement