Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Tegra K1 chip - Will you Buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭Hitchens

This update for SHIELD Tablet K1 contains important system enhancements and bug fixes, including:

Conformity with OpenGL ES 3.2

Additional optimizations to Android Doze

Fixed issue with intermittent Auto-Rotation shut downs

Fixed audio playback stutter when the display is off

Update to Android 6.0 Security Patch Level July 1, 2016

Overall stability and security improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Havent noticed any lag yet.

But even prior to the update never noticed or received many complaints about lagging and i have 5 at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Back in stock (September 18th) in Amazon for £140.55

Lowest price ever and with the weak £, a great deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0171BS9CG/?tag=ho01f-21

EDIT: looks like it is sold out at that price, back up to £169.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I'm in the states next week and Best Buy seem to sell these, might be worth getting one for my son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Worth swapping my shield tv with remote for the K1 with cover? Seems it can do everything the tv can (bar 4k) plus it's portable. Is there a new model due soon?

sweetie wrote: »
    Worth swapping my shield tv with remote for the K1 with cover? Seems it can do everything the tv can (bar 4k) plus it's portable. Is there a new model due soon?

If it was my decision, i'd keep the TV all day.

I have both, i guess it all depends on your usage, but i find the TV a superior product, although i like having the Tablet as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Iv ordered one of these today they are back in stock on komplett now.
    Looking to replace my ageing iPad without spending 500 so looks decent way to go looking forward to getting it next week. I presume you can mirror video onto a smart tv using this without the need for chromecast etc as I can on my s6?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

Is this still worth a purchase? Feel like treating myself :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Iv ordered one of these today they are back in stock on komplett now.
    Looking to replace my ageing iPad without spending 500 so looks decent way to go looking forward to getting it next week. I presume you can mirror video onto a smart tv using this without the need for chromecast etc as I can on my s6?

Yep the device has a mini hdmi port and you can mirror the screen using it.

brevity wrote: »
    Is this still worth a purchase? Feel like treating myself :o

I think so, for the price it's still a powerful device.

• Advertisement

I got this today looks nice and solid must play around when I get home. One question is tho I got no charge cable with it but I got a plug thats like Ireland-US adaptor included.
    I have a android phone charger at home anyway I can use but can I get something to work with this plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

I got this today looks nice and solid must play around when I get home. One question is tho I got no charge cable with it but I got a plug thats like Ireland-US adaptor included.
    I have a android phone charger at home anyway I can use but can I get something to work with this plug?

Any charger will charge the tablets, i use the samsung S7 cable and charger, the nvidia charger and the cable and charger from lg smartwatch urbane the fastest charger is the nvidia and the S7 one.

I actually used my s6 fast charger last night and it did not seem to be working on it very well. Really slow charge. I put on normal charger and that worked fine must try s6 one again see is it definitely that. Must get a HDMI mini converter too for mirroring stuff.
    Good tablet tho for the money happy out with it.

I actually used my s6 fast charger last night and it did not seem to be working on it very well. Really slow charge. I put on normal charger and that worked fine must try s6 one again see is it definitely that. Must get a HDMI mini converter too for mirroring stuff.
    Good tablet tho for the money happy out with it.

It can also come down to the USB cable used. Chargers can and do change the current depending on many factors, one of which is cable resistance. You will see you change times decrease with heavier cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Anyone know of a decent keyboard-case combo for the shield. I have the Nvidia magnetic case which is fantastic but if there was a well made keyboard combo case it would be good to have the keyboard separate. I find there's no room to see what you're typing when the on screen keyboard is up. Something that was hinged so it would act like a stand too. I saw an ivso make on Amazon but if anyone has first hand experience of any would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭Hitchens

My nVidia Shield K1 tablet updated to Nougat this afternoon. Kudos to the nVidia crew!

Hitchens wrote: »
    My nVidia Shield K1 tablet updated to Nougat this afternoon. Kudos to the nVidia crew!

When you think of it, has there been another android device that's received 4 versions of android from the manufacturer? (as in 7 6 5 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

god's toy wrote: »
    When you think of it, has there been another android device that's received 4 versions of android from the manufacturer? (as in 7 6 5 4)

The early Nexus devices maybe?

Changes in the new update......

SHIELD Controller (2017) Support

Updates to SHIELD controller support

New Multitasking Features

Split-screen: Run two apps side by side* in Portrait or Landscape modes
    Quick switch: Double tap the Overview button to quickly switch back to the last opened app

Improved Notifications

Multiple notifications from the same app are now bundled for a streamlined experience
    Reply to messages directly from within the notification
    Tap and hold on a notification to quickly silence or block notifications from the app

Improved Power Consumption

Doze on the Go: Doze is now smarter & kicks in even when the device is being carried around

Emoji

Includes all-new Unicode 9 emojis

Usability Improvements

Display & Font size can now separately adjustable to improve readability or screenspace
    Quick Settings can now be customized directly from the menu by tapping “Edit”
    The top Quick Setting tiles can now be accessed with a downward swipe from the lock screen
    Settings now includes a Navigation Menu & Suggestions to improve usability
    The “Clear all” option in Overview have been relocated to the top right

System wide improvements including

New Data Saver: when enabled, limits access to Cellular data for background apps
    New JIT compiler: improves the speed of App & System updates
    Update to Android Security Patch Level December 1, 2016

SHIELD Rewards Program

Introducing SHIELD Rewards, the exclusive loyalty program for SHIELD owners

Venom wrote: »
    The early Nexus devices maybe?

Sorry, excluding google's own.

Update hasn't hit mine yet but my one is the first run with stylus so tends to get updates later on.

Nice update too, have to hand it to nvidia for sticking with it when most others would have abandoned it by now.

god's toy wrote: »
    Sorry, excluding google's own.

Update hasn't hit mine yet but my one is the first run with stylus so tends to get updates later on.

Nice update too, have to hand it to nvidia for sticking with it when most others would have abandoned it by now.

I got the update available message around 11.30 last night which was a surprise as I had done a manual check when I saw your post and everything was up to date at that point :)

• Advertisement

Ah ha! update just came of for my Shield LTE. Nice and quick this time.

Oh and a driver update for the PC Nvidia GPU? Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

I bought the shield k1 from amazon and it updated straight away to nougat.

Have a 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro card in it as portable storage, not adoptable.

Problem is, i cant move 'any' app to sd storage, tried apps like amazon, zedge, xe.com and more, there is no option to move them from the apps settings. And these apps should be moveable to the sd.

Reformatted SD card to NTFS, Fat32, Exfat, all the same

I know i cant move all apps to the sd card via portable storage but some should be able to

Am i missing something? I even tried factory reset but still the same

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Hey,

Looking for a new android tablet and am wondering is this worth purchasing now? I'm replacing a Nexus 9, but am a bit concerned that the Shield is a few years old and might start showing its age?

Thanks

Grudle wrote: »
    Hey,

Looking for a new android tablet and am wondering is this worth purchasing now? I'm replacing a Nexus 9, but am a bit concerned that the Shield is a few years old and might start showing its age?

Thanks

Have no fears on that front. Just got updated to 7.0.

Still one of the fastest tablet's at that price range (if not the fastest). Only real flaw is mediocre battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Diazou

I have sold mine but it was a great Android device. I sold it because i prefer the handheld one.

Nvidia just released software upgrade 5.1

Fixes issues with Launcher 3, mouse issues and system stability improvements.

Tablet seems a little faster after the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ajw08

Does plex run ok on the shield tablet?

ajw08 wrote:
    Does plex run ok on the shield tablet?

Plex Client runs great on the K1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Anyone ever hook up a DS4 controller to the K1?
    I'm on nougat and the just got the PlayStation controller and was able to pair it no problem with sixaxis but I can't map the keys or make the touchpad on the ds4 move the mouse on the screen.
    So any advice is welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement