Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Tegra K1 chip - Will you Buy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Any cover/cases recommendations? Not interested in the official cover so was just going to go for a universal 8 inch cover

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

BDJW wrote: »
    Any cover/cases recommendations? Not interested in the official cover so was just going to go for a universal 8 inch cover

I have this one:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Black-Leather-Folding-Stand-Case-Custom-Designed-For-The-Nvidia-Shield-Tablet-/381107950222?hash=item58bbcdd28e:g:4dMAAOSw7ThUo~Pe

very nice and fits really well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Thinking of getting this for my son with a controller, are the majority of android games supported by the controller and will the unit be updated in 2016 ?

Something I had never noticed on tablets is that we can't use the remote buttons on the headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The tablet seems to be on preorder at the usual online places.

It's on Amazon.de for close to €200, but they will not ship to the UK or ROI as far as I can make out.

• Advertisement

Try amazon.fr I have 4 of this tablets in my household all bought from amazon.fr

They were 245e when I checked last direct from Amazon FR. Only two sellers selling it now it seems. I'd only buy direct from Amazon. I'll keep looking back every day.

Amazon UK now has the K1 in stock guys, in case anyone is after one. I just bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭Hitchens

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Amazon UK now has the K1 in stock guys, in case anyone is after one. I just bought it.

Have you tried it out yet and if so how do you like it?

Hitchens wrote: »
    Have you tried it out yet and if so how do you like it?

En-route with DHL Hitchens,

The Internet seems divided. Some say it is amazing, whilst the Geforce forums are rife with horror stories.

I may just return it straight away. It was a bit of a rash purchase as i have a Shield TV.

Maybe others in this thread who own it with the MM update could chime in.

• Advertisement

En-route with DHL Hitchens,

The Internet seems divided. Some say it is amazing, whilst the Geforce forums are rife with horror stories.

I may just return it straight away. It was a bit of a rash purchase as i have a Shield TV.

Maybe others in this thread who own it with the MM update could chime in.
    Ta Moonboy, give us the lowdown when you've sussed it out if you have time.

I have had the tablet for a week now.

It was a bit of a hasty purchase as i had the Shield TV. I was planning to send it back if i found any issues relating to the horror stories i was reading about on the Geforce forums.

I updated to 6.0 and then took the 1.1 OTA and then factory reset.

The first day i had the miscellaneous battery drain that others have reported of 20%.

I was thinking fugg this i'm sending it back to Amazon :D

Some guy on Reddit said he wiped the cache so i booted into recovery and wiped the cache.

The drain has not appeared since (not sure if it was coincidental or not).

I am seeing 4 hours of SOT at nearly full brightness, with WiFi turned off when the screen goes off.

You can tweak each app though to specify the amount of cores used so i'm sure i could eek some more minutes out if i wanted.

Things i like:

Nice rubberised feeling to the case which makes it nice to hold
      Nice screen with good viewing angles as you would expect from an IPS screen
      Almost stock Android and i have hardly noticed any lag at all
      Nice speakers, not the loudest but does the job without having to reach for a Bluetooth speaker all the time
      Streaming from my 780Ti through Geforce Experience is for the most part flawless
      Geforce Now works great. Their Northern Europe server is based in Ireland which helps but a 50Mb+ connection is required. Not sure i will keep the service as it is €9.99 per month, although they are adding more titles and have 100 games now i think
      Plays most Android games really really well
      Some say the build quality is bad but i honestly think it is well built
      Nvidia have been good with updates and as it is near stock Android, we should get N and maybe more

Things i did not like:
      The power button is hard to press although i bought the Nvidia official case which will negate this
      Screen on time is not the best but that is down to the K1 chip using more power than its Snapdragon equivalent. Not as optimised really i reckon.
      You do not get a power source and the official controller is pretty expensive
      Lack of AC wireless, N works fine but only seeing 90Mb from my 240Mb connection

For £150 / €200, even if you are not a gamer it is a fast tablet. For another £70+ you can get the Sony 8" tablet which may be a better choice but if £150 is your budget for a 8", you can't go too wrong with the K1

I have had the tablet for a week now.

It was a bit of a hasty purchase as i had the Shield TV. I was planning to send it back if i found any issues relating to the horror stories i was reading about on the Geforce forums.

I updated to 6.0 and then took the 1.1 OTA and then factory reset.

The first day i had the miscellaneous battery drain that others have reported of 20%.

I was thinking fugg this i'm sending it back to Amazon :D

Some guy on Reddit said he wiped the cache so i booted into recovery and wiped the cache.

The drain has not appeared since (not sure if it was coincidental or not).

I am seeing 4 hours of SOT at nearly full brightness, with WiFi turned off when the screen goes off.

You can tweak each app though to specify the amount of cores used so i'm sure i could eek some more minutes out if i wanted.

Things i like:

Nice rubberised feeling to the case which makes it nice to hold
      Nice screen with good viewing angles as you would expect from an IPS screen
      Almost stock Android and i have hardly noticed any lag at all
      Nice speakers, not the loudest but does the job without having to reach for a Bluetooth speaker all the time
      Streaming from my 780Ti through Geforce Experience is for the most part flawless
      Geforce Now works great. Their Northern Europe server is based in Ireland which helps but a 50Mb+ connection is required. Not sure i will keep the service as it is €9.99 per month, although they are adding more titles and have 100 games now i think
      Plays most Android games really really well
      Some say the build quality is bad but i honestly think it is well built
      Nvidia have been good with updates and as it is near stock Android, we should get N and maybe more

Things i did not like:
      The power button is hard to press although i bought the Nvidia official case which will negate this
      Screen on time is not the best but that is down to the K1 chip using more power than its Snapdragon equivalent. Not as optimised really i reckon.
      You do not get a power source and the official controller is pretty expensive
      Lack of AC wireless, N works fine but only seeing 90Mb from my 240Mb connection

For £150 / €200, even if you are not a gamer it is a fast tablet. For another £70+ you can get the Sony 8" tablet which may be a better choice but if £150 is your budget for a 8", you can't go too wrong with the K1
    Thanks for for the review. Did you get it from Amazon for €200? Seems to be €300 now and no delivery to Ireland.

Thanks for for the review. Did you get it from Amazon for €200? Seems to be €300 now and no delivery to Ireland.

I did Hitchens. It was back in stock yesterday but sold out again.

Set up a Camelcamelcamel alert for £150 and they will notify you when it is in stock again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I bought this cover off eBay a couple of weeks ago. Very happy with it for a tenner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I bought this cover off eBay a couple of weeks ago. Very happy with it for a tenner!

Ah ha, Just ordered too.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Recently bought 2 of these tablets and have had no problems whatsoever. Brilliant yokes. Got them on komplett for € 199 each. Just seen the price of them now on Amazon:-o had to check that I bought the right ones!! What's the story with the pricing?? Must be no stock of them.

Also I was looking at cases and didn't want to spend £50 on the nvidia ones but then I seen them for £20 so I got 2. I think these are fluctuating in price too cos I'd swear I seen the very same ones for £50 on Amazon a couple weeks back.

I've had no bother buying from amazon.de. Bought a good few things off them. Like amazon.co.uk it depends on the item as to whether it ships to Ireland I'd say.

breadbin wrote: »
    Recently bought 2 of these tablets and have had no problems whatsoever. Brilliant yokes. Got them on komplett for € 199 each. Just seen the price of them now on Amazon:-o had to check that I bought the right ones!! What's the story with the pricing?? Must be no stock of them.

Also I was looking at cases and didn't want to spend £50 on the nvidia ones but then I seen them for £20 so I got 2. I think these are fluctuating in price too cos I'd swear I seen the very same ones for £50 on Amazon a couple weeks back.

I've had no bother buying from amazon.de. Bought a good few things off them. Like amazon.co.uk it depends on the item as to whether it ships to Ireland I'd say.

Just thinking, could the ones on amazon going for mad money be the older model? That's the one i have, it came with a PSU and stylus and some games? Some even had the the controller bundles too.

I did Hitchens. It was back in stock yesterday but sold out again.

Set up a Camelcamelcamel alert for £150 and they will notify you when it is in stock again
    thanks for all the info MB. I wouldn't be into the gaming at all (just freecell or crosswords etc :o) and I'm wondering about web browsing, video etc. Is it okay for just ordinary tasks so to speak? :)

(If you load an intensive full colour photos and text page like 'The Mail Online' site for example, can you scroll though the page without very noticeable lag?)

As a "Normal" tablet it's more than capable.

I loaded up the Daily Mail website on Chrome.

It took a few seconds to load it as it is an image rich site.

A teeny bit of lag I guess but almost smooth. Their app may give better results.

YouTube is buttery smooth though and using the likes of Flipboard and Reddit

• Advertisement

As a "Normal" tablet it's more than capable.

I loaded up the Daily Mail website on Chrome.

It took a few seconds to load it as it is an image rich site.

A teeny bit of lag I guess but almost smooth. Their app may give better results.

YouTube is buttery smooth though and using the likes of Flipboard and Reddit
    what is this battery for at all?

1 A batteries required. (included)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

The one on Amazon.co.uk now for £299 seems to be the new one from the photos. The 'Shield' on the back is silver. It seems like a ripoff though. Like someone trying to make a quick buck. I'd say wait til more stock becomes available:)

what is this battery for at all?

1 A batteries required. (included)

No idea man, i wondered at that myself.

FYI: Available to order again from Amazon UK (Stock on March 27th)

FYI: Available to order again from Amazon UK (Stock on March 27th)
    thanks bro, just ordered one :)

thanks bro, just ordered one :)

Looking forward to your review Hitchens :) from the point of view of someone just looking for a fast tablet at a decent price

Mine arrived today from that same ebay seller, man its good stuff for the right price.

Perfect Thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

Guys, where to get one?! I tried ordering it from the official nVidia website (UK one) but they don't deliver to Ireland...

DezoLord wrote: »
    Guys, where to get one?! I tried ordering it from the official nVidia website (UK one) but they don't deliver to Ireland...

Are you sure? Ireland appears in the drop down box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 DezoLord

Are you sure? Ireland appears in the drop down box.

"We are unable to verify the address you entered." That's the error I get. I've entered all the details correctly. I'm thinking it could be because of the Post Code which my town doesn't have...

Advertisement