Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Tegra K1 chip - Will you Buy?

Options
  • 20-07-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭

NVIDIA Shield Tablet - Tegra K1 chip - Will you Buy?

nexusae0_NVIDIA-SHIELD-Tablet-9_thumb1.jpg
    It's also the first widely-available device to be released with NVIDIA's Tegra K1 chip, albeit a quad-core A15 CPU and not the upcoming Denver 64-bit dual-core architecture
    nexusae0_NVIDIA-SHIELD-Tablet-1_thumb2.jpg
    So, does this new device - arguably the closest thing to a new Nexus tablet you'll be able to buy for the time being - have your attention and, more importantly, that of your wallet? At $300 for 16GB of storage, some might be hesitant, but if you've got $400 to drop for 32GB and LTE, the Shield Tablet will almost definitely be the most fully-featured tablet on the market under 500 big ones.

Posting as a new post because this is full featured tablet and not just a gaming device like the original shield!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

No, it's pretty silly tbh. If they'd made a shield 2 with a built in controller or at least had some method of attaching the controller to the tablet, then maybe.
    It's an oddity, nothing more. It won't sell well. I can't for the life of me figure out who it's aimed at and anyone can replicate it using any tablet, an otg cable & a controller (or a bluetooth controller minus the cable).

The processor & graphics are better than the rest sure, but they won't be for long & I'd be very surprised if they managed to hit their power & heat targets this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Reviews of K1 in the Xaomi MiPad are very positive, it appears that Nvidia have finally been able to develop something that doesn't have major drawbacks.

For €300 its a great product, front firing speakers, nice (on paper) screen, decent pen technology and the gaming add on. Gonna wait and see what the new Nexus is like but that will probably be quite boring unless it comes from HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I'll wait until its out in the wild to see what the battery is like but I'm seriously tempted. I don't see it very useful as a gaming device. If you need a level surface and a controller to play games why wouldn't you just use a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

A tablet with an HDMI out is a nice touch, something I wish more of them had.

• Advertisement

I still hold out and see what the nexus 8 (Volantis) has to offer before I fork out for a new tablet.

But having an SD card on this is a positive.

But the Nexus 8 is suppose have 64 bit processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

anyone get one yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

sweetie wrote: »
    anyone get one yet?

Holding out for the spec on new nexus tab to be confirmed.
    Have narrowed my list down to the shield, mipad or new nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

Holding out for the spec on new nexus tab to be confirmed.
    Have narrowed my list down to the shield, mipad or new nexus.

now that the nexus 9 specs are out what do you think now? thinking of the shield myself, wheres the place to order one?

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    now that the nexus 9 specs are out what do you think now? thinking of the shield myself, wheres the place to order one?

I have never use them but scan.co.uk have bundle deals on Shield Tablet and they deliver to Ireland. Search boards threads for other people who have used them

I will probably get the Nexus 9, 64 bit is the reason, I'm not worried about the lack of sdcard because BubbleUPnP allows me to access my media on my xperia z1 over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Any idea if any bricks and mortar stores stock this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ive a quick question, you can stream games from your desktop pc onto this correct? does the gpu on your pc have to be nvidia? ive an amd 7970 and id buy one of these for this feature alone if it works

ive a quick question, you can stream games from your desktop pc onto this correct? does the gpu on your pc have to be nvidia? ive an amd 7970 and id buy one of these for this feature alone if it works

has to be a nvidia GTX card over a certain type

well that sucks :( any streaming solution on an android tablet for amd cards?

anyone know the cheapest place to get one of these? the nexus 9 is getting only ok reviews and as il be doing a lot of gaming this seems like the smart option

Komplett maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

anyone know the cheapest place to get one of these? the nexus 9 is getting only ok reviews and as il be doing a lot of gaming this seems like the smart option

If I order one it will either from Amazon UK or one of bundles listed in earlier post for Scan UK. http://www.scan.co.uk/shield. (Anyone buy from scan UK in past????).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If I order one it will either from Amazon UK or one of bundles listed in earlier post for Scan UK. http://www.scan.co.uk/shield. (Anyone buy from scan UK in past????).

Scan are very good, I've used the a hell of a lot of times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

After seeing the price of the nexus 9 and watching the 64bit 2 core chip version stutter somewhat while the 32bit quad care is soooooooo smooth.
    i'm selling up my N7 and getting one of these.

So anyone have one? day to day on android 4.4 as good as the videos suggest?

would love some real life usage info.

• Advertisement

Also, anyone know any stores in Dublin selling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I just received my new Shield tablet yesterday. I went for the 32GB LTE version. I absolutely love it. it's butter smooth, lightening fast and just seems to be sensible in terms of hardware. i.e FF Speakers, SD Slot. HDMI Out which I tried last night and it works beautifully. I'll be able to watch all my pluralsight videos on my big screen now with ease amongst others.

Just a couple of questions.
    1. The LTE version ships with Android 4.4.2. I think the non LTE version ships with 4.4.4. Does anyone know why ?
    2. Has anyone received the Lollipop Android 5.0 OTA update? AFAIK it is due out today (18/11/2014).

Getting my 32GB LTE unit tonight! Will post here what version of android comes with it (just in case its different)

I really don't see how anyone can pass this up for the Nexus 9 (apart from 64 bit chip that will take a while for anyone to really take advantage off)

The extras in the gaming department won me over and will be getting the controller too. ... for xmas hopefully

Do the games (half-life ect) come pre-installed or link/code to install?

EDIT: Just got mine and its 442. with an update Shield tablet software upgrade 1.2.1

EDIT once more: now Shield tablet software upgrade 2.0 LTE

last EDIT I swear: ... Just got me an OTA of Lollipop!! Happy days!!! and before my Nexus 7.

dnme wrote: »
    I just received my new Shield tablet yesterday. I went for the 32GB LTE version.

As you went for the 32GB LTE as well Can I ask if you received the code for the extra Greenbox games?

If so where is/was it?

Got mine from amazon two days into the promo and i'm not seeing anything relating to any code in the box or via email.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

What do you think about the size and weight? Some reviews were saying its a bit heavy? I really wish there was a shop where I could play with one for a while, is the 8" screen ok? I think the 7" is a bit small, where as my current 10.1 is too big to carry about every day.

I was mad for the N9, but very very tempted by this, 32 gig + SD slot and LTE for the same price as a N9....

god's toy wrote: »
    As you went for the 32GB LTE as well Can I ask if you received the code for the extra Greenbox games?

If so where is/was it?

Got mine from amazon two days into the promo and i'm not seeing anything relating to any code in the box or via email.

Thanks

I didn't get any code that I'm aware of. Notinto gaming anyway, just bought this cos it's such a strong prorduct for the price.

the-ging wrote: »
    What do you think about the size and weight? Some reviews were saying its a bit heavy? I really wish there was a shop where I could play with one for a while, is the 8" screen ok? I think the 7" is a bit small, where as my current 10.1 is too big to carry about every day.

I was mad for the N9, but very very tempted by this, 32 gig + SD slot and LTE for the same price as a N9....

Slightly heavy but we're really into nit picking here. The size is great. I got the new Android 5 OTA yesterday. Its beautiful on the device. This device beats all of em hands down. Mega processor, but also great battery life. SD slot. HDMI slot (you should see this thing on my TV via hdmi, its so beautiful). Frint facing speakers etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Is Lollipop being pushed out to people yet? No sign of it for me yet...

Yes i received the download a couple of days ago

• Advertisement

Would agree it's a little big heavy, maybe it's just that i'm just coming from a nexus 7 and that thing was very light.

The pc gaming thing works really well. Also playing games from the Grid worked ok to, but had server lag so maybe a good internet connection is needed there.

First day of use the battery went flat really fast but day two and three are better. Android L is nice but I'm thinking 4.4 was more responsive but it could be just L is just out so needs more work.

Pro tip, you can turn up the CPU to full beans to help with the odd hang up when it stutters. first create a short cut widget on the home screen to 'Power saving' (not the 'battery saver' one) once that's done you will see it brings you to 'Shield power control' open that and you'll see the options.

Advertisement