Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Richard Dunne just retired from international football.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Carl Jenkinson joins West Ham on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Call Jenkinson joins West Ham on loan.

Hmmm... he's 5.0, wonder if he'll be a certain starter in the riddle wrapped within an enigma that is the West Ham defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So what android app is everyone using this year ? I used fantasy football buddy last year but i cant get into my team on it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

tom_k wrote: »
    Hmmm... he's 5.0, wonder if he'll be a certain starter in the riddle wrapped within an enigma that is the West Ham defence?

Supposedly had 6 PL clubs to choose from, I'd imagine he chose West Ham knowing hes likely to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

AdamD wrote: »
    Supposedly had 6 PL clubs to choose from, I'd imagine he chose West Ham knowing hes likely to start.

London was most likely the deciding factor IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just as a heads up, I'd urge caution on Marc Albrighton lads.

I'll have him myself as my 5th midfielder if I go 3-4-3, but with 11.5% ownership he could be a prime target to drop in value in week 1 if he doesn't start, gets injured or something else goes wrong such as picking up a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

So what android app is everyone using this year ? I used fantasy football buddy last year but i cant get into my team on it at the moment.

fantasy football manager(homemade apps) is very good and free. non-fancy layout but about as informative & functional as you could want. was happy to pay the small amount to upgrade to pro(ad-free) as obviouly a fair amount of work has gone into it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

manual_man wrote: »
    fantasy football manager(homemade apps) is very good and free. non-fancy layout but about as informative & functional as you could want. was happy to pay the small amount to upgrade to pro(ad-free) as obviouly a fair amount of work has gone into it

Ill have a goo thanks!.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I used DifferentialFPL last year and found it brilliant. Cost about a £ I think. Great for the match day updates, including live updated bonus points. Great options for tracking rivals via newsticker. Projected player score and some other decent analysis tools such as fixture ease traffic lights.

It hasn't updated for this season yet but I'm told any day now.

• Advertisement

FHFC wrote: »
    I used DifferentialFPL last year and found it brilliant. Cost about a £ I think. Great for the match day updates, including live updated bonus points. Great options for tracking rivals via newsticker. Projected player score and some other decent analysis tools such as fixture ease traffic lights.

It hasn't updated for this season yet but I'm told any day now.

Holy good god I just had a look at it there, and if everything in the app description is true, that's an insane amount of information covered!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Paully D wrote: »
    Just as a heads up, I'd urge caution on Marc Albrighton lads.

I'll have him myself as my 5th midfielder if I go 3-4-3, but with 11.5% ownership he could be a prime target to drop in value in week 1 if he doesn't start, gets injured or something else goes wrong such as picking up a red card.

FYI if he gets injured or a red card the site should red flag him, basically means that his price won't change as dramatically as usual because the threshold for transfers out will be raised. If he doesn't start you'll have an issue alright, as I said in another thread I'd be more worried of Vlaar dropping

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

There's a few other options in the £4.5m spot so not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

roryc wrote: »
    There's a few other options in the £4.5m spot so not all bad.

You mean in defence? Yes that's true, so why pick Vlaar? Fixtures turn really bad really fast. I'd be looking for 4.5 defenders who are likely to go up in value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

8-10 wrote: »
    You mean in defence? Yes that's true, so why pick Vlaar? Fixtures turn really bad really fast. I'd be looking for 4.5 defenders who are likely to go up in value

I think Neil Taylor and Collocini will. Both have poor opening day fixtures but after that they have a good run. Both will be nailed on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

For those looking at a cheap defence. If you pick a defender from stoke, swansea, sunderland, newcastle, wba and pick the best 3 fixtures out of those 5 teams for the first 8 weeks this is what you get.

GW1 WBA A Villa H Sun H
    GW2 Villa A Hull A Bur H
    GW3 Pal H QPR A WBA H
    GW4 Sou A Leic H Eve H
    GW5 Hull H BUR A QPR A
    GW6 Swa H New H Bur H
    GW7 STo H New H Sun A
    GW8 Leic H Swa H Sto A
    I posted this a while back but seen as there is a bit more talk about a cheap defence of late I thought Id post it again. O shea, collocini, davies, huth, wisdom for 22.5 will give you those fixtures. If wisdom doesnt look like starting you could change WBA to another team that have a 4.5 defender bringing your spending to 23 million. I only plan to use wisdom twice in those 8 games anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

How many "new" PL players are you putting in your team? Always a bit of a worry to see how players settle. For every Michu there's a Van Wolfswinkel.

Currently I'm looking at Sanchez and De Jong. Considering playing it safe and keeping only players who have proven themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭G1032

kennyb3 wrote: »
    ^^^

Totally agree, if palace and stoke had 4.5m options I'd be all over it but the guaranteed players are 5m. And to me I'd prefer B.Davies at that price. or €5.5m for JEvans.

@ Lemlin

For same cost would you consider

DDG + 4m & O'Shea/Colocinni rotation (18.5m) over krul/mannon/evans/4m (same cost)

Or do you reckon the save points for the lesser teams keepers will give some added value?

Is Geoff Cameron not a guaranteed starter at 4.5m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

This article seems to confirm just how much Jonny Evans has bought into Van Gaal's ideas and system, I think he's as nailed on as you can get and a 5.5m route into the United defense can't be sniffed at.

Jonny Evans out to become Manchester United’s main man at the back

G1032 wrote: »
    Is Geoff Cameron not a guaranteed starter at 4.5m?

Nope, Stoke have signed Phil Bardsley and Pauly D checked a Stoke forum and most supporters expected Bardsley to get the nod.
    I posted this a while back but seen as there is a bit more talk about a cheap defence of late I thought Id post it again. O shea, collocini, davies, huth, wisdom for 22.5 will give you those fixtures. If wisdom doesnt look like starting you could change WBA to another team that have a 4.5 defender bringing your spending to 23 million. I only plan to use wisdom twice in those 8 games anyway.

Have you looked at the above system with Liam Moore from Leicester in place of Wisdom?

• Advertisement

Hangeland supposedly signing for Palace. Can see Delaney benched if that happens.

Hangeland supposedly signing for Palace. Can see Delaney benched if that happens.

Interesting to see how he is priced. I'd fancy him to get a few goals under pulis.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Nope, Stoke have signed Phil Bardsley and Pauly D checked a Stoke forum and most supporters expected Bardsley to get the nod.

Have you looked at the above system with Liam Moore from Leicester in place of Wisdom?

Not yet but will off memory I think Leicester have a very tough start and it's only an 8 week plan. But if he looks like starting and Wisdom doesn't I'd go with him. I only planned on using wisdom twice anyway.

Would he not go to right back?

Would he not go to right back?

Doubt it. Marippa Dann Hangeland Ward is how I think they'll line up.

Poyet has said if Wickham doesn't sign a new contract he'll be sold. Something for you Wickham owners to think about.

Doubt it. Marippa Dann Hangeland Ward is how I think they'll line up.

Poyet has said if Wickham doesn't sign a new contract he'll be sold. Something for you Wickham owners to think about.

Fletcher could be a great bet so at 5.5.

Mariappa hasn't featured much in pre season from what I've heard so I'm not expecting him to start.

Fletcher could be a great bet so at 5.5.

Mariappa hasn't featured much in pre season from what I've heard so I'm not expecting him to start.

Only one defender has played more than Mariappa so far and that is Jerome Williams who has a grand total of 1 competitive game for Palace.

Only one defender has played more than Mariappa so far and that is Jerome Williams who has a grand total of 1 competitive game for Palace.

I was going by this:

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/pre-season-form-guide/
    Tony Pulis has started Jerome Williams at left-back in each of Palace’s four matches. Jonny Williams is being assessed after limping out of the 23/7 game against Columbus Crew with a thigh problem. Tony Pulis was forced to field Glenn Murray as a makeshift centre-half against Richmond Kickers on 28/7, with Joel Ward, Scott Dann, Damien Delaney and Paddy McCarthy rested with knocks – this allowed Adrian Mariappa his first start in three matches at right-back.

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2014/07/24/scout-scribbles-midweek-friendly-round-up/
    though it was Tony Pulis’ backline that will be of more interest to Fantasy managers – Jerome Williams was handed a chance at left-back by the Eagles boss and with Joel Ward shifting to the right, Adrian Mariappa was utilised as a second-half substitute, raising concerns over his starting berth for the season ahead.

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2014/07/27/scout-scribbles-saturday-friendlies-round-up/
    Mariappa Benched Again
    Palace managed a narrow 1-0 win over Philadelphia Union on Saturday morning courtesy of an own goal from Ethan White. From a Fantasy perspective, however, Tony Pulis’ starting XI once again cast doubts over Adrian Mariappa’s game time as we edge towards the start of the season. The defender, who started each of the Eagles’ last 10 matches in 2013/14, was again utilised from the bench as Pulis opted for Jerome Williams at left-back, with Joel Ward on the opposite side of defence. Yet to be listed in Fantasy games, Williams could offer us a cheaper alternative if he can nail down a regular role.

I checked the game reports out.

Marippa 214 mins over 4 games
    Ward 105 mins over 2 games
    Dann 189 mins over 3 games
    Delaney 192 mins over 3 games
    Williams 257 mins over 4 games

45 mins for Mariappa
    39 mins for Mariappa
    40 mins for Mariappa
    90 mins for Mariappa

• Advertisement

I checked the game reports out.

Marippa 214 mins over 4 games
    Ward 55 mins over 2 games
    Dann 189 mins over 3 games
    Delaney 192 mins over 3 games
    Williams 257 mins over 4 games

45 mins for Mariappa

39 mins for Mariappa
    40 mins for Mariappa
    90 mins for Mariappa

The problem I'd see here though is that Ward is one of Palace's best players. There were rumours of an England call up for him. He's definitely going to start.

Williams has been preferred to start to Mariappa in the games so far so that casts a doubt over his starting place IMO, especially considering Hangeland has now signed. Pulis has to be starting him for a reason before Mariappa.

Mariappa has also been the only player along with Williams available for all 4 games so those stats are skewed in his favour in terms of minutes played. The true reflection is that he's been available for 4 games and has played less than a half in 3 of them. The one where he got 90 minutes was because the team was crippled with injuries in defence. Glenn Murray had to play central defence.

If Delaney can also play right back, as suggested above, I'd be even more worried about Mariappa. Dann and Hangeland will be the central two IMO.

Advertisement