Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

In relation to Bertrand though anytime I saw him last year I wasn't overly impressed so maybe we haven't missed the Targett just yet (I'm squeezing as many puns as I can in now the dream may be over). Although that may just have been due to playing for Villa. It's a right shame whatever way you look at it unless he's going to be on the left wing instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭jukebox2310

Do people think Mannone is goibg to start ovet Pantmillon. Can't see him after leaving sitting on the city bench just to go sit on Sunderland bench

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Do people think Mannone is goibg to start ovet Pantmillon. Can't see him after leaving sitting on the city bench just to go sit on Sunderland bench

I can't see Sunderland dropping their player of the season from last year. Mannone was immense once Poyet arrived.

Paully D wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a very cheap defense, but one that might give you as many clean sheets as you could expect from such a defense, you may find this interesting.

Stoke/Swansea rotate perfectly all season and would give you the following in the first quarter of the season - AVL, BUR, WBA, LEI, SOT, NEW, NEW, SWA, LEI, WHM, ARS, BUR, CPL, QPR.

Players to look at there would be: Neil Taylor (£4.5m), Erik Pieters (£5m), Huth (£5m), Bardsley (£5m) or Cameron (£4.5).

Palace/QPR rotate 34 out of 38 games and would give you the following over the first 10 weeks - HUL, WHM, SUN, BUR, STO, LEI, AVL, SUN.

Players to look at there would be: Marriapa (£4.5m), Ward (£5m), Delaney (£5m), Simpson (£4.5m), Ferdinand (£4.5m), Caulker (£5m).

West Ham rotate perfectly with Palace also and have the likes of Reid, Tomkins and Demel for similar prices, but no guaranteed starters at £4.5m.

Anyway, the point of all this is that you could very easily have 5 defenders who will play every week in your squad which would ease bench worries about the £4.0m guys. These 5 defenders could consist of one big hitter (for example a Terry or Luis), Taylor, Pieters/Huth Mariappa and Simpson/Ferdinand which would give you a Chelsea defender plus two other home defenders playing in 34 out of 38 weeks. If anything goes wrong and you need to call on your bench, you will have the few points coming into your side.

It could conceivably only cost around £24.5m-£25m (a little more if you wanted £5m's instead of the £4.5m's, or Terry instead of Luis) for a big hitter and a guaranteed two home defenders almost every week. Stoke (4th best home record in the league last year) and Palace (well, Pulis) are quite solid at home too so it's not as if you are picking scraps. Go with a keeper from a top team and you're increasing the likelihood of more clean sheets.

Of course it's based on current squads and it could all be blown apart in the next couple of weeks with transfers, but what do you lads reckon? A decent strategy or is it trying to be too clever? Better to just get two defenders in from top sides a couple of squad fillers and move on?

I had a look at incorporating this strategy and, while I think there are definite strengths to it, the problem is a lack of 4.5 options IMO. If I go with Taylor for example, I'll need to spend 5 million a Stoke defender which IMO will be Huth.

To get a Palace defender also guaranteed to play you are looking at 5 million again. So, for example, defence would be:

De Gea (5.5). Given (4.0) = 9.5 on keepers
    Terry (6.5), Huth (5.0), Taylor (4.5), Ward (5.0) and Simpson (4.5) = 25.5 million on defenders.
    That's 35 million on defence.
    I wouldn't be overly happy about having a QPR defender either. I'd prefer O'Shea or a Sunderland defender but Palace/Sunderland don't rotate.

whereas my actual team:

Krul (4.5), Mannone (4.5) = 9 million on keepers.
    Terry (6.5), Evans (5.5), Taylor (4.5), Targett (4.0), Wisdom (4.0) = 24.5 million on defenders.
    That's 33.5 million on defence.

Now I realise I have a problem in that it appears that Targett and Wisdom won't play but I'm happy enough to go with 4 defenders if I can find one 4 mil cheapie who will as I'll play Terry and Evans every week and rotate Taylor/4 mil cheapie.

The big difference for me is that the 1 million I am saving is allowing me to have Hazard instead of Fabregas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

^^^

Totally agree, if palace and stoke had 4.5m options I'd be all over it but the guaranteed players are 5m. And to me I'd prefer B.Davies at that price. or €5.5m for JEvans.

@ Lemlin

For same cost would you consider

DDG + 4m & O'Shea/Colocinni rotation (18.5m) over krul/mannon/evans/4m (same cost)

Or do you reckon the save points for the lesser teams keepers will give some added value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Paully D wrote: »
    Of course it's based on current squads and it could all be blown apart in the next couple of weeks with transfers, but what do you lads reckon? A decent strategy or is it trying to be too clever? Better to just get two defenders in from top sides a couple of squad fillers and move on?
    Great post Paully!

I had a look at first 19 weeks.

My current Defense was Terry, Evans, Jagielka, (planned on playing these most weeks), Mariappa (default first sub, planned on starting him 8/19 weeks), Upson (Bench Fodder). Total Cost: 26m

Under your proposal, I'd have kept one luxury (Terry), then Cameron, Taylor, Mariappa, Caulker. Total Cost: 25m

Could obviously save more money by downgrading Terry and Caulker.

Plan A gives me 5 weeks where I have one bad fixture (albeit with a better defender), Plan B gives me one bad week (week 11 where the rotation teams give you the option of TOT (A), MU (A), MC (H), ARS (H))

WHU def over QPR give you a better options but hard to know who starts for WHU.

Well Cameron could be first choice for Stoke, for me Bardsley is a headless chicken who is almost just another utility player. Jerome Williams of Palace should come into the game at no more than 4.5 and if he doesn't play it's Marriapa's position to lose. For now it's a matter of playing the waiting game like much else in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Seems like a few clubs are toying with the idea of wing backs. They could be some bargains to be had.

Who have we Rafael, Shaw, Simpson, Martin Kelly, Glen Johnson,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lemlin wrote: »
    I had a look at incorporating this strategy and, while I think there are definite strengths to it, the problem is a lack of 4.5 options IMO. If I go with Taylor for example, I'll need to spend 5 million a Stoke defender which IMO will be Huth.

To get a Palace defender also guaranteed to play you are looking at 5 million again. So, for example, defence would be:

De Gea (5.5). Given (4.0) = 9.5 on keepers
    Terry (6.5), Huth (5.0), Taylor (4.5), Ward (5.0) and Simpson (4.5) = 25.5 million on defenders.
    That's 35 million on defence.
    I wouldn't be overly happy about having a QPR defender either. I'd prefer O'Shea or a Sunderland defender but Palace/Sunderland don't rotate.

whereas my actual team:

Krul (4.5), Mannone (4.5) = 9 million on keepers.
    Terry (6.5), Evans (5.5), Taylor (4.5), Targett (4.0), Wisdom (4.0) = 24.5 million on defenders.
    That's 33.5 million on defence.

Now I realise I have a problem in that it appears that Targett and Wisdom won't play but I'm happy enough to go with 4 defenders if I can find one 4 mil cheapie who will as I'll play Terry and Evans every week and rotate Taylor/4 mil cheapie.

The big difference for me is that the 1 million I am saving is allowing me to have Hazard instead of Fabregas.

A soution to that could be for the same 33.5
    DDG given 9.5
    Terry 6.5 o shea 4.5 new def 4.5 taylor 4.5 wisdom 4.0 24million
    You get the same defensive coverage with the added bonus of an extra playing defender there are a few weeks in the first 8 you may be happy to play both sunderland and newcastle defenders something you cant do if you have the coverage as GK's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Has anyone got a decent idea of which £4mil priced defenders are certain starters or even almost certain? I have both Wisdom and Targett in my team currently and it would appear neither are likely to start regularly now with players coming in to both teams.

I have 0 in the bank so £4mil is essential, looks like i might have to settle for fringe players and hope that they start whenever I need to sub them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Well Cameron could be first choice for Stoke, for me Bardsley is a headless chicken who is almost just another utility player. Jerome Williams of Palace should come into the game at no more than 4.5 and if he doesn't play it's Marriapa's position to lose. For now it's a matter of playing the waiting game like much else in this game.

WAs it PaullD said he saw a poll from Stoke fans who will start Cameron or BArdsley and the majority said Bardsley.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Has anyone got a decent idea of which £4mil priced defenders are certain starters or even almost certain?
    There are none.

As per every year, there will be some on 1st September when some unknown makes a surprise step up from the youth team and/or some regular sufferes an injury. Until then we are all guessing.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    WAs it PaullD said he saw a poll from Stoke fans who will start Cameron or BArdsley and the majority said Bardsley.

Yeah it was and Paully would know more about Bardsley than most too. The point I'm making is that we just don't know who'll actually be first choice in certain positions yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Mirallas and Bojan or Albrighton and one of the 8.5m Striker options, probably Giroud?

A soution to that could be for the same 33.5
    DDG given 9.5
    Terry 6.5 o shea 4.5 new def 4.5 taylor 4.5 wisdom 4.0 24million
    You get the same defensive coverage with the added bonus of an extra playing defender there are a few weeks in the first 8 you may be happy to play both sunderland and newcastle defenders something you cant do if you have the coverage as GK's.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    ^^^

Totally agree, if palace and stoke had 4.5m options I'd be all over it but the guaranteed players are 5m. And to me I'd prefer B.Davies at that price. or €5.5m for JEvans.

@ Lemlin

For same cost would you consider

DDG + 4m & O'Shea/Colocinni rotation (18.5m) over krul/mannon/evans/4m (same cost)

Or do you reckon the save points for the lesser teams keepers will give some added value?

Looks good to me lads. Will have a look at it now.

Just got an email telling me that my team name is too offensive and I have to change it. Goodbye "Rolf Harrisment", hello "DontCall Me Schürrle".

How would they have copped it was offensive? I'm not in any leagues yet, bar the default ones. There's hardly some poor sap scrolling through a list of team names eliminating the dodgy ones?

There's a girl here in work that is from Leicester and follows them. She reckons Liam Moore will be a 4 million starter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Moore

30 appearances last season, Young Player of the Month in September, has been a member of the England U21s and was the subject of a failed transfer bid from a then PL club Fulham in January.

Looking at Leicester's pre season, they have played Ilkeston, Everton and Walsall. Moore played a half against Ilkeston, the full game against Everton (despite the fact that Leicester fielded a hugely different team in the second half as opposed to the first) and thirty minutes against Walsall.

Leicester have four friendlies left but for now I am going to keep an eye on him. Leicester start with Everton home, Chelsea away and Arsenal home but I just want a 4 mil defender who will get a point or two for the appearance in the unlikely event they are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,000 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Just got an email telling me that my team name is too offensive and I have to change it. Goodbye "Rolf Harrisment", hello "DontCall Me Schürrle".

How would they have copped it was offensive? I'm not in any leagues yet, bar the default ones. There's hardly some poor sap scrolling through a list of team names eliminating the dodgy ones?
    Maybe they have word filters but if Rolf Harris is on that list that is one of the funniest things ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cathmhaoil1

have used ' Diaby does Gallas' every year. If that fails 'Crystal Phallus' always gets a laugh

luke moore wouldnt be a bad 'cheap' filler either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

luke moore wouldnt be a bad 'cheap' filler either
    Liam you mean. Luke plays for Toronto Fc.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Liam you mean. Luke plays for Toronto Fc.

Yes. Unless Toronto become part of the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

have used ' Diaby does Gallas' every year. If that fails 'Crystal Phallus' always gets a laugh

Have been using 'Chamakh My Pitch Up' for the last 3 years or so now, there's always some funny fuckers out there with great names though each season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Have been using 'Chamakh My Pitch Up' for the last 3 years or so now, there's always some funny fuckers out there with great names though each season.

Exeter Gently is one of my faves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just see that Lukaku is only 21- Shocked at that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

check out these stats:

Screenshot%2B%28307%29.png

amazing contrast in home/away performance

interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lemlin wrote: »
    There's a girl here in work that is from Leicester and follows them. She reckons Liam Moore will be a 4 million starter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Moore

30 appearances last season, Young Player of the Month in September, has been a member of the England U21s and was the subject of a failed transfer bid from a then PL club Fulham in January.

Looking at Leicester's pre season, they have played Ilkeston, Everton and Walsall. Moore played a half against Ilkeston, the full game against Everton (despite the fact that Leicester fielded a hugely different team in the second half as opposed to the first) and thirty minutes against Walsall.

Leicester have four friendlies left but for now I am going to keep an eye on him. Leicester start with Everton home, Chelsea away and Arsenal home but I just want a 4 mil defender who will get a point or two for the appearance in the unlikely event they are needed.

Lemlin working his magic at the water cooler ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Is Neil Taylor guaranteed to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I've been getting away with Fritzl Palace last few seasons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

roryc wrote: »
    Is Neil Taylor guaranteed to start?

Unless they sign another left back I'd assume so.

Advertisement