Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daredevil [Netflix/Disney - Spoilers]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

On episode 7 and it's definitely the weakest series so far...
    Murdock lost in his own little world, and has forgotten how to fight... Karen acting with her eyes shifting left and right rapidly...and an FBI organisation who make Liath ni Riadas election team look top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

DD remains the strongest of this Marvel universe

I am struggling with the finale though
    maybe I missed something but I am not entirely sure why having unleashed Bullseye on Fisk , DD then stops him killing Fisk .

Bullseye was just a battering ram. Felix Manning and Mrs. Shelby both warned Matt that the security was ramped up and the window to pounce on Fisk was closed, so Matt drafts in Bullseye and Benjamin's intimate knowledge of the hotel's security protocols to clear a route- all in the desperate hope he can get to Fisk before Bullseye drops him. That's how I explained it away, at least, as I'd similar reservations to yours about how it was laid out.

I like how open they left another Daredevil/Bullseye face-off. Matt never truly 'beat' Pointdexter in the end and repeatedly lamented that he couldn't get the drop on him. That said, it's implied Murdock's operating at less-than-peak performance throughout the show, so who knows? Nice thread for season 4. You know, assuming the oft-neglected Netflix side of the MCU isn't winding down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Watched 13 episodes in 2 days. That's how good this show is. Fantastic season again. How is it I have to watch the next episode of this to a pint where I am sitting there for 5 hours watching and I can barely make it through an episode of Iron Fist or Luke Cage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

tvnutz wrote: »
    Watched 13 episodes in 2 days. That's how good this show is. Fantastic season again. How is it I have to watch the next episode of this to a pint where I am sitting there for 5 hours watching and I can barely make it through an episode of Iron Fist or Luke Cage?

You can see they put a lot more resources into DD. Lots of outdoor scenes as well, very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Can someone explain the scene with Bullseye at the end? Is he just gonna be back in the next season or is he going to become a new villain? There seemed to be a symbol in his eyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Really enjoyed it. Read the review on AVclub bashing the finale which I thought was a bit harsh.

An earlier poster said that DD engaged them in a way that Iron Fist/Luke Cage did not. I think the casting of the main cast in DD is fantastic. I really felt Matt/Foggy/Fisk/Dex are fantastic in their roles.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Can someone explain the scene with Bullseye at the end? Is he just gonna be back in the next season or is he going to become a new villain? There seemed to be a symbol in his eyes?
    That's just the standard Bullseye symbol from the comics, we saw it earlier in the season on his baseball cap during one of the flashbacks to when he was a kid. I think they're just setting it up for him to be back in the next season fully under the Bullseye moniker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

I blitzed about 4 episodes of the new series yesterday, I was slow to start it after the crapfest of Luke Cage and Iron Fists new seasons (both of which I abandoned). As per usual, DD is just in a different league to the others, and I found it hard to stop watching. Delighted with it so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only caught the first episode and looks like we're back to Netflix's lethargic 13 episodes of padding and slow pace. Iron Fist Season 2 cracked along at 10 episodes and had hoped this was the new normal with the Marvel shows. Good to know episode 10 is the one to avoid.

I applaud the nun calling out Matt's bullsh*t though; the dialogue from Matt can be frequently wallowing and painfully 'edgelord', again Iron Fist tightened up the similarly clichéd flatlining dialogue from its main lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

I found the first episode slow alright but I felt it picked up hugely from that. I've a bit of Marvel fatigue overall, and Matt is fairly annoying at the start as well.

I don't think there was quite as much "bloat" in this season compared to other Marvel Netflix series. One episode does spend a good bit of time on Karen but I actually didn't mind it.

I meant to add to my other post that I really liked Ray's story. It could have easily been a cliche but I thought the actor did a great job with it. I really cared about his story - dunno if he was ever in the comics but I'd certainly never came across him before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Just finished it, it’s certainly the best of the marvel group
    I liked like cafe up until the last season it kind of lost its way
    Iron fist is hard work to watch the acting is just crap
    Daredevil remained solid throughout and enjoyable to watch and nicely built up for season 4

The internet isn’t for everyone

I was reading today that while they don't have official figures from Netflix, the viewership dropoff is approx 50% from last season according to analytics firm Jumpshot...
    Iron Fist was over 70% of a drop off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd love to know how they come to those figures, given Netflix closely guard their actual numbers. Presumably it's some variation of the Nielsen box and just monitor a sample then extrapolate, but does feel like optimidtic guesswork at best.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd love to know how they come to those figures, given Netflix closely guard their actual numbers. Presumably it's some variation of the Nielsen box and just monitor a sample then extrapolate, but does feel like optimidtic guesswork at best.

It's a bit more than that, Jumpshot tracks device usage, notes times, they can track keywords on twitter and other social media...big brother is watching

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Watching Daredevil at the moment, think this season is better than season 2. Episode 10 all about Karen’s past was very interesting and also very sad. The girl has been through a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fin12 wrote: »
    Watching Daredevil at the moment, think this season is better than season 2. Episode 10 all about Karen’s past was very interesting and also very sad. The girl has been through a lot.

In the comics her story arc is fairly extreme. The episode touches on a lot of it but in reverse.

banie01 wrote: »
    In the comics her story arc is fairly extreme. The episode touches on a lot of it but in reverse.

What do u mean in reverse?

I don’t know anything about the comics, is this story based on a comic?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fin12 wrote: »
    What do u mean in reverse?

I don’t know anything about the comics, is this story based on a comic?

Yes, Daredevil is a Marvel comic.
    In reverse as in the comics, her partying and issues happen as part of a plot by Kingpin to uncover DD's identity.
    In the TV series it is flipped to happen before she reaches New York and give character background.

Season 3 is based on the DD rebirth storyline, it's a great adaptation of it for TV.

banie01 wrote: »
    Yes, Daredevil is a Marvel comic.
    In reverse as in the comics, her partying and issues happen as part of a plot by Kingpin to uncover DD's identity.
    In the TV series it is flipped to happen before she reaches New York and give character background.

Season 3 is based on the DD rebirth storyline, it's a great adaptation of it for TV.

Sorry Daredevils rebirth is it, sorry I actually can’t really remember what happened in Season 2, he nearly died and went into hiding is it?

The whole "Ace Reporter Karen" subplot hasn't got any better in season 3; alongside The Hand, that's one element I wish they also consigned to the bin. It's all so achingly earnest and cliché, ticking every box in the list of tropes but played without any self awareness to make it work.

• Advertisement

Karen is the worst part of the show for me. In general I wish Netflix would stop doing flashback episodes, the Karen one was badly placed and killed momentum going into Daredevil vs Bullseye in the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I liked the Karen flashback, it fills in the blanks to her past and for me, also gave a sense of dread, in that its placement, i thought something bad was going to happen to her, either her be killed or sent spiraling with something terrible happening to her or people close to her.

So, by the end, nothing really happened to her (this time), it worked as a sleight of hand of sorts, for me anyway. Maybe in the future..

I think it will be a long while before we see her gone, and im all for it, shes pretty much the only constant female presence in the show, i dont find her annoying at all, plus shes hot
    :P
    Also, shes the only living connection Dex knows of that will draw out Daredevil, so shes in very dangerous crosshairs for any future seasons
    :pac:

Does Dex know Daredevil's identity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

He doesn't, as far as i recall, Kingpin figured it out and kept it to himself, he just started toying with Matt Murdock and used the people he loved against him, its funny, just realizing, thats exactly what Matt does in the end, threatens the person Fisk cares for the most to win.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2 episodes into season 3 and it's top stuff so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Finished this last night. For me it has replaced Legion as the best Superhero TV show. They really elevated the action scenes this season. The prison scene, Daredevil V Bullseye Rd1 and Kingpin/Daredevil/Bullseye being standouts. Huge improvement with Foggy and Page as well, it was great seeing them have something to actually do rather than just being Matt’s annoying friends. It would be a real shame if this was to get canned because the show has done a terrific job and has established a great ensemble, so good in fact I think this could easily translate to the big screen. I think the standard here may give Disney/Netflix a headache, it’s clear to me that both want this deal to end, but how do you cancel something this good? This show really is the gold standard of Superhero TV shows.

Episode 4!
    The Prison Fight! Damn that escalated quickly!
    :eek:

Also I remember the films and
    Colin Farrel playing yer man .. Bullseye was it?
    I'm starting to think that
    poindexter is going to be Bullseye
    Hrmmmm...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Slydice wrote: »
    Episode 4!
    The Prison Fight! Damn that escalated quickly!
    :eek:

Also I remember the films and
    Colin Farrel playing yer man .. Bullseye was it?
    I'm starting to think that
    poindexter is going to be Bullseye
    Hrmmmm...

The stuff in your spoiler is correct :)

I thought the ending of this was brutal. Very disappointed with it. But the scrap before it was decent.
    I know the whole season is about DD psyching himself up to kill and the struggle with good and evil....but a f*cking handshake and a promise.

I thought it was drawn out in some places as well, maybe it wasn't dark enough or something. Nadeem ended up looking like a bumbling idiot rather than someone struggling with being pulled in different directions.

Also, a big plot line is getting the painting back, and the end scene is centered around it. At least give us a wide angle of the blood splatter on it with Kingpin in front of it!

Overall, good action, great fight scene, good story, but not gripping enough and a sh*tty end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

loved it, I'm not a big superhero fan (if that's what you'd call him) but really like this show.

Fight scene in the prison was something else.
    Kingpins has got some screen presence.

• Advertisement

The ending of Episode 8! :eek:
    His Mom!

Advertisement