Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSA FPL Rate My Team Thread 2014-15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Thinking of taking a chance with a 4.0 keeper. I think De Gea at 5.5 is a bargain especially with United's start. I don't think he missed a game last season and if he is a doubt you can transfer him out. I think it's worth the risk that he won't get injured. Is their any 4.0 keepers who will start i am not sure.

He missed Newcastle away I think. Lindegaard played so de Gea would be rested for Bayern game.

But he's nailed on for the season, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Starting to get the core of my team together now, although still plenty of spots up for grabs.
    1y7dsh.jpg

GK - De Gea + £4m keeper is a no brainer with United’s start. Not 100% confident on United's defence so won't be doubling up.

DEF - Terry and Debuchy will be my core defensive partnership, and I'll be expecting goals and assists from both. I'll likely play 3 at the back more often than 4, so looking at 2 x £4.5m players and 1 x £4m (3rd choice bench fodder) to complete the back line. Cameron is a decent choice in the £4.5 range, I’m expecting Stoke to improve on their clean sheets from last season. He rotates well with Debuchy’s tough games too. The two remaining spots are up for grabs. In the £4.5 spot I currently have Ron Vlaar – he had a cracking world cup and was racking up the bonus points last year when Villa kept a clean sheet. They have a shocking run from GW 4-8 though, so he may not feature in my original 11. Adrian Mariappa is only £4.5 entry into the Palace defence, but he nailed down a spot at the end of last season so definitely one to consider. Chester and Chambers also worth considering in this price range if they nail down spots in their respective teams. For my £4m defender I have my eye on a few players like Bruce and Duff, but I might take a punt on the likes of Wisdom if he looks set to start for WBA. Targett also one to watch.

MID - Sanchez, Hazard and Silva make up the core, although I may look at Mata in place of Silva purely because of United’s start. These three will start every week. Albrighton is the obvious choice at £4.5m if he nails down a starting spot. Won’t see many starts in my team but could be good for a goal/assist when used. Shelvey is in there predominantly because I had £5.5m left to work with, but as this is my 4th choice midfielder and will likely see a lot of gametime I need to put a bit more thought into this. Having Hazard, Sanchez and RVP eats into the budget a fair bit! In saying that, Shelvey isn’t a bad buy though with 6 goals/7 assists last season.

STR – RVP is obviously key here, although at £12.5m I’ll be watching United’s pre-season games closely. Ings and Pelle are both gambles to an extent, especially with both having a tough opening fixture. A lot will rely on the pre-season performance, although I’m wary of putting too much faith in new players performing well before the start of the season (the ‘Robin van Wolfswinkle Effect’). Will also keep an eye on Costa and Dzeko, and Wickham may replace Ings in my starting line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Is Ozil really hot and cold he scored 144 last season despite being out of position. With Sanchez in he can move central and will be better in his second season. Does he also take frees and penalties?
    I doubt Ozil will be taking any penalties this season after his awful attempts against Bayern and Marseille. He takes free kicks from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Sorry what ? Only Suarez Gerrard & Yaya outscored Hazard last season.

Got mixed up! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Not convinced by United def options myself. Dont care who they play tbh, they were rank last year and way too much going on for solidity imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He had a very, very poor world cup. It's a big risk spending the 10m on him.

Chelsea are a different proposition than Belgium tbh. The Belgian midfield struggled because they hadn't decent central midfielders.

Chelsea have players like Matic and Fabregas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Don't forget Ozil missed the first five games of the season as he wasn't signed and a spell with injury at Christmas and he was relying on Ramsey who was out for a long period to put them away. Him and Giroud were not on the same page due, mainly to Giroud being a donkey.

Ozil and Sanchez/ Ramsey is going to be a lethal lethal mix. You will need at least one of those three. I am considering Ozil and Sanchez if Mata isn't going to be playing behind the main striker.

DDG/krul
    shaw debuchy Dawson
    silva de jong Rambo Eriksen
    Rvp dzeko nugent

Subs: target Albrighton ward

Unsure about having krul as backup, might get a 4.0 and use the money elsewhere. Might also swap silva for Mata or fabregas. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

DDG/krul
    shaw debuchy Dawson
    silva de jong Rambo Eriksen
    Rvp dzeko nugent

Subs: target Albrighton ward

Unsure about having krul as backup, might get a 4.0 and use the money elsewhere. Might also swap silva for Mata or fabregas. Thoughts?

No Chelsea may hurt you. Especially when you have doubled up on United's defence.

Chelsea also play Burnley opening day.

I was thinking that alright, hence the switch to fabregas from silva. Then dzeko would be my only city coverage. It's actually pretty tough to cover all angles this year, which can only be a good thing.

Cheers for the input.

• Advertisement

I never worry about 'cover' from teams. If you really think about it, the entire concept makes no sense. Pick the players likely to score the most. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The more i think about it Erikson really scored heavy last season when Sherwood came in and played positive football. I expect everything to flow through him and at 8.5 he looks a bargain for a side who will score plenty of goals.

I see your point, but it can be tough watching a big team go to town on some of the smaller ones, with a rake of players getting goals /assists if you don't have any of their players.

roryc wrote: »
    I never worry about 'cover' from teams. If you really think about it, the entire concept makes no sense. Pick the players likely to score the most. Simples.

Personally i rarely worry about cover well for defence and keeper. I play 3 at the back and if Wisdom goes to WBA he will be my 4th defender. After that i will try find a 4.0 defender who start's but i don't really care about it. Same with the keeper De Gea will play every game i am not wasting .5 on a keeper when De Gea won't miss a game if he does i will transfer him out. People talk about rotating keepers if United have a tough game but it's usually the tough games which are bore draws.

For midfield i will play 4 so i want 4 very strong players. Then the 5th well look at Davis for Southampton he is 5.0 and scored i think 120+ last season.

For strikers i will play 3 so i want 3 strong players.

So my bench costs little and from my bench i have two guaranteed cheap starters and 2 who probably won't ever be needed.

Myhill, Wisdom, Upson and Davis my bench comes to what 17 million which i think i am very happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

The more i think about it Erikson really scored heavy last season when Sherwood came in and played positive football. I expect everything to flow through him and at 8.5 he looks a bargain for a side who will score plenty of goals.

He's even less than that, 8.0m!

Don't forget Ozil missed the first five games of the season as he wasn't signed and a spell with injury at Christmas and he was relying on Ramsey who was out for a long period to put them away. Him and Giroud were not on the same page due, mainly to Giroud being a donkey.

Ozil and Sanchez/ Ramsey is going to be a lethal lethal mix. You will need at least one of those three. I am considering Ozil and Sanchez if Mata isn't going to be playing behind the main striker.

He had a very poor second half of the season and, unlike Hazard, he was playing in the best team at the World Cup and looked hugely off-form, so much so that his form got alot of media attention in Germany.

I'm going with Ramsey myself. Word has it he's fit and raring to go.
    roryc wrote: »

It's well known that we play the game very differently and I'm a firm believer in cover. If Chelsea or Man City beat a team 5-0 or 6-0, like they are capable of doing, chances are if you've an attacking player from that team you are at least getting a share of the spoils in some shape or form. Basically, and you're a gambling man, you are hedging your bets by "covering" as many of the better teams as possible.

That's why my squad at the moment has Ramsey (Arsenal cover), Hazard (Chelsea cover), Silva (City cover), Eriksen (Spurs cover) and RVP (United cover). The only team I feel I am missing is Liverpool and that's because Sturridge is too expensive and the rest of their starting team is too hard to call at the minute.

It's true that you "pick the players likely to score the most" but the players likely to score the most are generally playing for the best teams. Having one from each team also allows me to shift quickly e.g. can change Silva to Nasri, or with two transfers Ramsey to Sanchez etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

2MsxvMY.jpg

Gks: Had De Gea in there and may get him back by downgrading Sigurdsson depending on where he ends up.

Defs: Back 3 from Arsenal, City and Chelsea is solid and they will play every week. Chester is a decent sub if needed. Upson may be switched to another 4m def closer to season.

Mids: Would like Sanchez but Ramsey/Ozil are better value options I think. Mata will stay there if it looks like he will play behind RVP. Eriksen is a must at 8m and should flourish under Poch. If Sigurdsson returns to Swansea, he could be a great shout.

Fwds: No RVP is a worry but I think the funds can be invested well elsewhere. Dzeko is a must now with Negredo out and Giroud with Ramsey, Ozil and Sanchez behind him should score well. As the third top scoring forward last season, 8.5m is incredible value for him. Not convinced on Costa but he will be a nailed on starter and worth the risk I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

8 mill ( beat to it )

Personally i rarely worry about cover well for defence and keeper. I play 3 at the back and if Wisdom goes to WBA he will be my 4th defender. After that i will try find a 4.0 defender who start's but i don't really care about it. Same with the keeper De Gea will play every game i am not wasting .5 on a keeper when De Gea won't miss a game if he does i will transfer him out. People talk about rotating keepers if United have a tough game but it's usually the tough games which are bore draws.

For midfield i will play 4 so i want 4 very strong players. Then the 5th well look at Davis for Southampton he is 5.0 and scored i think 120+ last season.

For strikers i will play 3 so i want 3 strong players.

So my bench costs little and from my bench i have two guaranteed cheap starters and 2 who probably won't ever be needed.

Myhill, Wisdom, Upson and Davis my bench comes to what 17 million which i think i am very happy with.

Similar idea to the way I usually set up, although I would be wary of thinking that 2 of your 3 subs 'probably won't ever be needed'... they will! My third choice sub will be a £4m defender, and while I will analyse and try to pick the best one, essentially top of the list is that they play every week so I'll get the minimum 1 or 2 points on the rare occasion I'm forced to play them. My second choice substitute is along the same lines, a £4.5m midfielder. Same as above, main priority is that they play every week, and will pick up 2/3 points on the rare occasions you need to play them. Finally the first choice sub - this isn't a set player but rather a rotation of my 4th choice midfielder and 4th choice defender, but noting that chances are that one (or both) will play every week. Its a risky policy spending the minimum on your bench, but I find it suits me better than spreading the cash than leaving £5m - £6m players on my bench every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Gks: Had De Gea in there and may get him back by downgrading Sigurdsson depending on where he ends up.

Defs: Back 3 from Arsenal, City and Chelsea is solid and they will play every week. Chester is a decent sub if needed. Upson may be switched to another 4m def closer to season.

Mids: Would like Sanchez but Ramsey/Ozil are better value options I think. Mata will stay there if it looks like he will play behind RVP. Eriksen is a must at 8m and should flourish under Poch. If Sigurdsson returns to Swansea, he could be a great shout.

Fwds: No RVP is a worry but I think the funds can be invested well elsewhere. Dzeko is a must now with Negredo out and Giroud with Ramsey, Ozil and Sanchez behind him should score well. As the third top scoring forward last season, 8.5m is incredible value for him. Not convinced on Costa but he will be a nailed on starter and worth the risk I think.

I like that team - very well balanced.

By way of constructive criticism, I probably wouldn't have 2 x 6.5m defenders in there (but that's probably a personal thing). Also, I'm not too sure about Diego Costa either, I won't be starting with him in my team.

• Advertisement

I like that team - very well balanced.

By way of constructive criticism, I probably wouldn't have 2 x 6.5m defenders in there (but that's probably a personal thing). Also, I'm not too sure about Diego Costa either, I won't be starting with him in my team.

Appreciate the input thanks. I could downgrade Kompany and upgrade Costa to Sturridge but that would leave me with no Chelsea attacker. This may actually not be a bad thing though until we see how they line out for the first few weeks.

Appreciate the input thanks. I could downgrade Kompany and upgrade Costa to Sturridge but that would leave me with no Chelsea attacker. This may actually not be a bad thing though until we see how they line out for the first few weeks.

I think the Chelsea line-up is pretty set. Fabregas will come in to play alongside Matic and Costa will move in up front.

Most websites expect the front line to be:

Matic - Fabregas
    Willian - Oscar - Hazard
    Costa

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

2h4md01.png

Krul/Begovic - This rotation looks very good to me for the first 8 game weeks. I then can switch either of them out when the season is in full swing.

Debuchy/Baines/Terry - These three will start every game and will rack in the points. Debuchy Nailed on at 5.5 for what looks like being a very strong Arsenal team. Terry/Baines are replaceable with Cahill/Coleman depending on how those players are getting on.

Davies/Rosenior - Davies at spurs for 5.0 is a bargain and I will be able to play 4 at the back most weeks if needed.

Erikson/Hazard/Ozil/Johnson - These 4 will play pretty much every game, I'm really relying on Hazard as captain to rack in the points. Ozil/Ramsey are interchangeable for me here based on form, Expecting Erikson to do very well this season. Johnson.. bargain for 6.5, consistent.

Dzeko/Giroud/Riviere - Dzeko/Giroud can be switched for Bony depending on how teams fair out. With negredo out I'm hoping Dzeko will be starting most games, and if Arsenal don't sign another striker Giroud should start.

Riviere could be switched for one of the 6.0 strikers if he doesn't hit the ground running but I expect he will with the new creativity of Cabella and De Jong behind him, if not that money used to switch Johnson to Cabella/De Jong, or even upgrade erikson to one of the 9.0 midfielders (Mata, Silva, Ozil/Ramsey).

Might strikers might seem a bit weak but I will be able to play 4 at the back most weeks if needed temporarily. Wouldn't be a stretch to downgrade riviere and upgrade one of the others to Costa. Or Switch Baines for a 5.0 and upgrade to Costa.

Gatame wrote: »

Krul/Begovic

They don't rotate home and away though. Begovic and Mannone would be the better option I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

They don't rotate home and away though. Begovic and Mannone would be the better option I think.
    They do from Week 3 on, week 2 only week where I'll have to play away. Hull & Villa both being fairly ok away fixtures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Filipe Luis added for 6

jq53rm.jpg

Certainly going to be interesting on new players coming to the league. Hoping to get some insight from people here who know more about leagues outside England.

I know Stoke don't exactly score many but Diouf looks a good signing for them he was fairly prolific in Germany.

So what do people think of Luis Felipe so. Will he start and does he score or assist. I am mad to get in a Chelsea defender and if he scores and assists that's .5 saved by downgrading Terry.

I'm sticking with Terry. Consistently one of the best defenders and already in great form in pre-season.

He's had a nice long Summer rest too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

4BYLOVJ.jpg

I tend to go for cheap strikers and invest heavily in midfield. Thoughts?

Advertisement