Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems Enda has taken to poking the Irish Language Community with a stick.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Irlandczyk wrote: »
    Ridiculous amount of facetiousness in this thread. It's either that or unwarranted bile directed at a fcuking language. Posters reading what the title of the thread is and coming in just to snipe at the language and/or the OP.

This is not the OP's first rodeo, I think that has a lot to do with it.

I've no strong feelings about Irish either way, I enjoyed the subject in school, I've a few friends who are gaelgóirs, my own is pretty rusty but I use it occasionally.

But the fact is that after a century of state efforts to make it survive or revive there's probably only a few thousand people who speak it as a first language, all of whom also speak English. It's also been highly politicised by the Republican movement which does nothing but turn people off it for the most part. So making out like it's some kind of hate crime if a presumably otherwise competent minister with a wide-ranging brief which incorporates a lot of things which impact tens of thousands people's jobs and lives as well as other culturally important things like film is a ridiculous overreaction and incapsulates perfectly why people get so irritated.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Papers are now running with the story that McHugh was promoted because he was a "Champion" for salmon farms whose new remit now includes their expansion in this country. Another stroke was pulled in pulling IFI under his remit as they were strongly opposed to the expansion of Salmon farming to keep them in line.

So there ya go, Mchugh appointment has nothing to do with the Irish Language and is just another stroke from Kenny and Fine Gael. Exactly why I thought there was an alterior goal here.

Seems he has been meeting with the Norewgian company planning to facilitate the expansion here. I wonder is his Irish as good as his Norwegian these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

What a fecker.

Well we had the Vikings here for a good while, looks like they'll be back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Interest in History

_Puma_ wrote: »

Papers are now running with the story that McHugh was promoted because he was a "Champion" for salmon farms.......So there ya go, Mchugh appointment has nothing to do with the Irish Language ..... !

What the ....!

Why should HcHugh's appointment have anything to do with the Irish language? Anyway, anything very much to do with it. He can do the Cúpla can't he, like anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

Why bother, apparently they won't almost nobody will be able to understand you.
    FYP

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    FYP

I suppose that the Revival of Irish is till of historical interest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Would it not just be easier to have someone who can speak both languages fluently to translate for him if need be?

Would it not just be easier to have someone who can speak both languages fluently to translate for him if need be?

From English to English?

Advertisement