Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems Enda has taken to poking the Irish Language Community with a stick.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

GaelMise wrote: »
    His specific brief in that department is the Gaeltacht. So one of the main fcuking requirements of the fcuking job is speaking fcuking Irish.

Is it actually a requirement? Suppose with half of them being teachers it should be easy enough to find someone who can ask to go to the toilet to keep the cast of ros na run happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is this one of the new junior ministers we are talking about then and not the main minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Ah well, it's not like many people actually really give a **** about the language.

I got very annoyed today, I was on the Luas heading from Heuston Station to Citywest, and the Luas was busy. I got caught in part of the carriage where only the Irish language map was visible. I couldn't figure out where the hell Citywest was. Put it in English ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ah well, it's not like many people actually really give a **** about the language.

I got very annoyed today, I was on the Luas heading from Heuston Station to Citywest, and the Luas was busy. I got caught in part of the carriage where only the Irish language map was visible. I couldn't figure out where the hell Citywest was. Put it in English ffs!

That annoys me with Dublin Bus timetables. It's a complete joke the state keeps the facade alive that people actually speak Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Actually this is the first time that neither Senior or Junior Minister could speak Irish.

Who should have been appointed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oops wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

kowloon wrote: »
    Is this one of the new junior ministers we are talking about then and not the main minister?

As mentioned above "His specific brief in that department is the Gaeltacht" and as for the senior minister, well her irish is as good as the junior minister.

It's emerged that neither the senior Minister Heather Humphreys nor junior Minister Joe McHugh have fluent Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

As mentioned above "His specific brief in that department is the Gaeltacht" and as for the senior minister, well her irish is as good as the junior minister.

It's emerged that neither the senior Minister Heather Humphreys nor junior Minister Joe McHugh have fluent Irish.

So would you ignore those two people and give the ministerial positions to other TD's purely because they spoke Irish fluently ignoring all other aspects of the position ?

You have to face facts. There's more to the job than being able to speak Irish fluently. And given Irish isn't used generally in the country those elected, capable and best suited to taking on such a position are less likely to be fluent Irish speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

His specific brief in that department is the Gaeltacht. So one of the main fcuking requirements of the fcuking job is speaking fcuking Irish.

Well, look at it this way, when he makes his speech "as bearla" 100% of the electorate will be able to understand, unless you think his job is only to communicate to the ever decreasing number of Irish speakers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

So would you ignore those two people and give the ministerial positions to other TD's purely because they spoke Irish fluently ignoring all other aspects of the position ?

You have to face facts. There's more to the job than being able to speak Irish fluently. And given Irish isn't used generally in the country those elected, capable and best suited to taking on such a position are less likely to be fluent Irish speakers.

Were there even any 'suitable' candidates that are actually 'fluent'.

If not....what does that tell us?

Food for thought....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

The Irish language has been getting awful abuse on AH with the past few weeks.

Anywho, in relation to the OP, you would've thought having the cúpla focail would be a requirement, but evidently not. Sadly, I'm not surprised at anything the Irish government do any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

On the front page of boards this thread title has been cut short and reads :
    It seems Enda has taken to poking the Irish Language Community with a sti

First he hires a junior minister with no Irish and now this ?!?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

That would mainly be because if I did so in Irish on this forum, I would be banned.
    Rest assured I will be protesting about it as Gaeilge outside the Dept. Of An Taoiseach tomorrow.

Why bother, apparently they won't be able to understand you.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

I believe it has always been standard practice for questions to the Minister\Junior Minister of the Gaeltacht to be be in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

And Leo Vardakar isn't a doctor. Unfortunately for the Irish lobby nobody really cares. We want him to speak in English when he addresses us anyway. If the lanuage was alive and not on state funded life support this wouldn't be an issue. The idea that a none speaker got the position and this is bad for the lanuage shows how weak the lanuage is.

As a none speaker he better understands the general publics perception of the lanuage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I believe it has always been standard practice for questions to the Minister\Junior Minister of the Gaeltacht to be be in Irish.

So you would have literally anyone else as long as they could speak fluent Irish to take a ministerial position in government ?

I'm sure those ministers will refresh their Irish to enable them to do their jobs if its necessary. Otherwise I see no reason to prioritise fluency in Irish over being capable of taking on a ministerial position. It would be better if they did speak it fluently but its hardly a travesty that they don't. If needs be a translator would be a better option than simply giving a ministerial position to a TD because of the language they spoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Of all the issues I have with Enda and his government (and there are many!), this is hardly one of them.

But to keep the Irish lobby happy, it seems the new Minister will be getting a refresher course

"Problem" solved!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPqT6_TkU6Q

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

HurtLocker wrote: »
    And Leo Vardakar isn't a doctor. Unfortunately for the Irish lobby nobody really cares. We want him to speak in English when he addresses us anyway. If the lanuage was alive and not on state funded life support this wouldn't be an issue. The idea that a none speaker got the position and this is bad for the lanuage shows how weak the lanuage is.

As a none speaker he better understands the general publics perception of the lanuage too.

Leo Vardakar may not be a doctor but Leo Varadkar is a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Leo Vardakar may not be a doctor but Leo Varadkar is a doctor.

Crap I feel like a right twat. Always thought he was a teacher :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

B0jangles wrote: »
    As gaeilge, le do thoil.

Well that didn't go very far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Crap I feel like a right twat. Always thought he was a teacher :L
    He's Indian. Of course he's a doctor...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    He's Indian. Of course he's a doctor...

At least he's not a cowboy.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

Really? Why? Surely when he's berating government departments for not speaking Irish, he'll be doing it through English? There's no point shouting a to someone in Irish for not speaking Irish. When he's talking to Irish speakers and promoting their ideas, why do they draw what language he's doing it in? If he's on your side, why look for something to find fault with.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

It's not his specific brief though is it? What about the Arts and heritage part?

From their webpage:
    • Arts, Culture, Film and Music, as well as oversight of Ireland's cultural institutions;
    • Ireland's Built and Natural Heritage;
    • The Irish language, the Gaeltacht and the Islands; and
    • North/South Co-operation insofar as it relates to Waterways Ireland, An Foras Teanga and the wider functions of the Department.

Maybe they were selected because they're great at arts and heritaging?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

calanus wrote: »
    It's not his specific brief though is it? What about the Arts and heritage part?

From their webpage:
    • Arts, Culture, Film and Music, as well as oversight of Ireland's cultural institutions;
    • Ireland's Built and Natural Heritage;
    • The Irish language, the Gaeltacht and the Islands; and
    • North/South Co-operation insofar as it relates to Waterways Ireland, An Foras Teanga and the wider functions of the Department.

Maybe they were selected because they're great at arts and heritaging?
    Yar wan from Monaghan must be great at the aould Nourth-South co-operationing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I'm confused, Does it matter ? I mean most ministers did not have jobs related to their position. Should we have mandatory stuff for ministers now ? Accountants for finance, Lawyers for justice and so on.

And yes i know some minister have had jobs related, but it's a small number.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

I'm confused, Does it matter ? I mean most ministers did not have jobs related to their position. Should we have mandatory stuff for ministers now ? Accountants for finance, Lawyers for justice and so on.

And yes i know some minister have had jobs related, but it's a small number.

You dont need to have a degree in accounting to be fianance minister, but being able to count is surely a prerequisit.

You dont need a degree in language planning to be Minister for the Gaeltacht, but being able to speak Irish is necessary to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Only some of these politicians would qualify for a position similar to their ministerial position in the private sector.

We have a leader in this country who is a qualified teacher, and is now severely institutionalised from being in the Dail since 1975, so it makes sense he is out of touch with his appointments, which are done for electoral reasons, not logical appointment reasons.

Most Irish people don't use Irish everyday so Enda felt safe appointing people from areas that Fine Gael and Labour are under threat in the next general election.

It is just a badly run country.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Why though. What would make this department different from any other?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Gaeltacht dwellers aren't a protected species, unlike our nomadic brethren OP, maybe you should apply for recognition as a minority, see if that helps:D In all honesty though, I really couldn't give a flying fcuk about the Gaeltacht:P

Advertisement