Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It seems Enda has taken to poking the Irish Language Community with a stick.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

calanus wrote: »
    Why though. What would this department be different from any other?

Níl a fhios agam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

GaelMise wrote: »
    You dont need to have a degree in accounting to be fianance minister, but being able to count is surely a prerequisit.

You dont need a degree in language planning to be Minister for the Gaeltacht, but being able to speak Irish is necessary to the job.

Yeah but thing is we shouldn't have a Minister for Gaeltacht, it is ludicrous that we do at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Yeah but thing is we shouldn't have a Minister for Gaeltacht, it is ludicrous that we do at all.

That's a separate argument. But a minister will talk to other ministers in English 99% of his business will be conducted in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

On a serious note politicians like to play it safe I'm sure if Enda had a candidate who spoke Irish that candidate would have been chosen. The fact there wasn't one speaks volumes for how weak Irish is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You dont need to have a degree in accounting to be fianance minister, but being able to count is surely a prerequisit.

You dont need a degree in language planning to be Minister for the Gaeltacht, but being able to speak Irish is necessary to the job.

What next? The Minister for Transport will have to know how to drive a bus? Minister for Tourism will have to be a tourist? Minister for Agriculture and Defence will have to be a farmer with a shotgun?

Times, they are a changing...they've been changing since Ms. Harney was Minister for Health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ok as an IT analogy, I wouldn't appoint someone who cant read C# to a C# role when all he knows is Java. Sure he could prob get the gist of what the code does and could prob pick it up after a while but he is not the right person. Same case here if the guy cant work with the language the majority of his business is being done in then he is not the right person, you get the right person for the role.

I actually think there is a more sinister side to this appointment and you just have to look at what this guy has commented on in the past and what senior member of cabinet he is close with in the Fine Gael party to see the agenda that will be followed, as apparently they had hit a brick wall the incumbent.

Actually has nothing to do with the Irish language or promoting it in the Gaeltacht. If these guys get their way a lot of people in the Gaeltacht will be better off picking up some Norwegian rather than Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If the minister for finance just needs to be able to count, would that not be the equivalent of the minister in charge of Gealtacht affairs having a basic knowledge of Irish, which I'm sure he does. Hes just not fluent. Or did he not go to school at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I'm too busy being a normal irish person to be concerned with this peasant baffle language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Ok as an IT analogy, I wouldn't appoint someone who cant read C# to a C# role when all he knows is Java.

To mangle your analogy a little, I'd consider the minister to be more like a Project Manager than a developer. The developer would be more comparable to the people (shop keepers, teachers, etc) working in the gaeltacht.

I wouldn't expect a Project Manager to know C#.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

animaal wrote: »
    To mangle your analogy a little, I'd consider the minister to be more like a Project Manager than a developer. The developer would be more comparable to the people (shop keepers, teachers, etc) working in the gaeltacht.

Do you even HTML brah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Exactly he will be in charge of civil servants already fluent or proficient in Irish. So no need to be fluent to run the department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Do you even HTML brah?

Most PMs I've known wouldn't ;)

But a good project manager is someone who has worked with the language before and understands the environment the Developer works in. You will always see the best PM's were senior Developers who get bumped up into an architecture or PM role. It doen't always happen but give me a PM who was a developer over someone from marketing being made a PM any day of the week.

This guy has never lived in the gaeltacht nor has he ever had any conversational Irish. Not the right person for the role and I seriously think there is another motive here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

But a good project manager is someone who has worked with the language before and understands the environment the Developer works in. You will always see the best PM's were senior Developers who get bumped up into an architecture or PM role. It doen't always happen but give me a PM who was a developer over someone from marketing being made a PM any day of the week.

This guy has never lived in the gaeltacht nor has he ever had any conversational Irish. Not the right person for the role and I seriously think their is another motive here.

I would agree but being experienced in the area is not a requirement for the job. You dont need to have worked in finance, with children, be foreign in the HSE to be any of the corresponding ministers so why all of a sudden do we need one who speaks Irish to deal with the Gaeltheacht. While I find it a bit strange myself, is there an aspect of his job he is unable to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lawyers for justice and so on.

Put me in mind of these weasels for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

I would agree but being experienced in the area is not a requirement for the job. You dont need to have worked in finance, with children, be foreign in the HSE to be any of the corresponding ministers so why all of a sudden do we need one who speaks Irish to deal with the Gaeltheacht. While I find it a bit strange myself, is there an aspect of his job he is unable to do?

Yes! He is unable to speak the language that the section he is supposed to lead opperates in, he is unable to communicate with the various stakeholders in his area of responsibility in their own language, his mere presence requires those around him to switch from Irish to English, which is contrary to the aim of the department he represents.

I would think that being able to speak the language (Write code) or live in the area(Understand Computer science) would be the very minimum for a management role to promote the language (project goal). I dunno its just an opinion from my own experiences in working in companies and maybe it is different elsewhere but surely there was someone else that would have some of the above. That's why I think there is an alterior goal here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/treibh/they-wouldn-t-would-they-1.1867225#.U8VoY3YwsYo.email

It seems that one major protest on the streets of Dublin this year are not enough for Enda. Needless stupidity seems to be the hallmark of this government unfortunatly.

I hope all the fluent Irish speakers don't protest...might slow traffic slightly.

Yes! He is unable to speak the language that the section he is supposed to lead opperates in, he is unable to communicate with the various stakeholders in his area of responsibility in their own language, his mere presence requires those around him to switch from Irish to English, which is contrary to the aim of the department he represents.

People can either speak English to him or use a translator. He can still do his other duties.
    I would think that being able to speak the language (Write code) or live in the area(Understand Computer science) would be the very minimum for a management role to promote the language (project goal). I dunno its just an opinion from my own experiences in working in companies and maybe it is different elsewhere but surely there was someone else that would have some of the above. That's why I think there is an alterior goal here.

I would think that too but yet I dont see any requirements for any of the minister positions. Any old teacher from mayo can be put in as one despite not having a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

People can either speak English to him or use a translator. He can still do his other duties.

They could, but having to do so is contrary to what his role as minister actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

They could, but having to do so is contrary to what his role as minister actually is.
    His role is to listen to people speak Irish? What?

If all he does is talk to people in Irish he seems a bit pointless.
    Who were the Irish speaking alternatives and how would they have been better? Speaking Irish is fine but what about any other thing they are supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

2 recent health ministers looked like they would have major health issues.

Agriculture ministers that never spent time on a farm.

Finance minister without a bank account.

Education minister who (shock horror) wasn't a teacher.

Defence minister who wasn't a soldier.

Foreign Affairs minister who wwasn't foreign.

Am I the only one who thinks that if the person is capable of the role (in this case, bringing employment to the Gaeltacht, and improving the reach of the Irish language) then they might actually hire individual experts (consultants, farm leaders, military analysts, lecturers, and native speakers) to assist and advise them?

No?

OK, Rabble Rabble it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What a load of ****.

All Irish speakers can speak English.

Who gives a toss what the minister can speak as long as they do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

The newly appointed Minister for Education is a qualified Montessori teacher....so, not a qualified teacher then? Montessori is not recognised by the department as a teaching qualification for payroll purposes. She won't have a clue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Pique wrote: »
    2 recent health ministers looked like they would have major health issues.
    Agriculture ministers that never spent time on a farm.
    Finance minister without a bank account.
    Education minister who (shock horror) wasn't a teacher.
    Defence minister who wasn't a soldier.
    Foreign Affairs minister who wwasn't foreign.
    Am I the only one who thinks that if the person is capable of the role (in this case, bringing employment to the Gaeltacht, and improving the reach of the Irish language) then they might actually hire individual experts (consultants, farm leaders, military analysts, lecturers, and native speakers) to assist and advise them? No?
    OK, Rabble Rabble it is then.

One of the earliest standard works on constitutional law advocated this very state of affairs, arguing that farmer should not be Agriculture Minister or a teacher Education Minister etc., partly because the minister might be too pally with those he should be regulating. With the exception of Justice, this has been largely followed in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Ridiculous amount of facetiousness in this thread. It's either that or unwarranted bile directed at a fcuking language. Posters reading what the title of the thread is and coming in just to snipe at the language and/or the OP. Makes me fcuking sick sometimes reading the absolute shíte some people come out with. As if the Irish language raped wives, murdered husbands, and felt up little children the way some people speak of it. Whatever people's opinions are - and they're certainly entitled to them, Ireland loses a richness with the death of the Irish language. I'd hate to see it go.

FWIW, I do agree that having a minister who isn't fluent in Irish assigned to handle the affairs of the Gaeltacht is a pretty stupid move. However, I also agree that if he does a good job, then so be it. I wouldn't be outraged just yet. Let the man do his job first, and make judgements then. I don't think it'll work out, frankly. Oh yes, he'll take a refresher course in the language. He will... honest... he'll take it very seriously.

Apart from that, his past insistence on fish farming makes him a deeply unpleasant man in my eyes: can't get behind the idea of factory farming livestock at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm too busy being a normal irish person to be concerned with this peasant baffle language.

Agree or disagree, people are entitled to their opinion, but this is bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Interest in History

There were more Irish Language protesters, and we will still be protesting long after Brooks is forgotten.

It's simply that times are changing.

Irish is losing its force as a political symbol and hence its supporters are losing their influence over the politicians. So, even though some lip service continues, everybody knows that any minister of anything at all will be fully functional through English. In practical terms it doesn't matter and in terms of political leverage it matters less and less as time goes by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Interest in History

Irlandczyk wrote: »

FWIW, I do agree that having a minister who isn't fluent in Irish assigned to handle the affairs of the Gaeltacht is a pretty stupid move. However, I also agree that if he does a good job, then so be it. I wouldn't be outraged just yet. Let the man do his job first, and make judgements then. I don't think it'll work out, frankly. Oh yes, he'll take a refresher course in the language. He will... honest... he'll take it very seriously.

Good point.

And anyway he doesn't need Irish in order to do his job unless the job consists in talking Irish.

Advertisement